velvet -> ceiling - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2017, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 21
velvet -> ceiling

I am looking on ideas on how to apply velvet to the ceiling, but not directly.. I do not want many holes or paint the ceiling. I have an idea to build a 10'x10' frame with wood (2x2) or conduit and then stretch the velvet onto it. It should be lightweight enough to attach with 4 long screws to the studs, and hanging just 1" from the ceiling drywall to avoid rattling. Do you think the wood frame will work? I think it needs another beam at the 5 foot mark, maybe, and it needs to be assembled inside the room. I think I just prefer the floating appearance. Does the velvet pull well in a 5-10' border? I think a draped appearance may be ok too.

Interestingly, the ceiling was really distracting with the light carpet, but after putting a black area rug, the ceiling has reduced in reflected brightness and looked much darker, to me it's a reverse of diminishing returns. I think the ceiling treatment would do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-12-2017, 07:00 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Flat Black Painted Thumbtacks....

Easy Peasy.

Laid out in a Grid...3' square

Teeny tiny holes

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 4 Old 08-12-2017, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 21
sure the holes are very small with the thumb tacks, I am just afraid they will fall onto my black shag carpet and won't be able to see them!

do they really stay put even in earthquake zone in California?

post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2017, 06:24 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
sure the holes are very small with the thumb tacks, I am just afraid they will fall onto my black shag carpet and won't be able to see them!

do they really stay put even in earthquake zone in California?
I use them to secure Plastic when I tent a room when spaying screens, and they hold up to both the displaced air from the Sprayer, and the wind generated by my using a large Fan to help drying.

I'm pretty dang sure that in any Earthquake strong enough to shake Thumb Tacks out of a Drywall Ceiling, that are holding up lightweight Velvet Cloth, your going to be cleaning up enough other things that a few Tacks will be the least of your concern.

And if one does fall, if it's holding up a particular section, that section will the sag a bit, and so you get the Vacuum (Hand or Floor) out and find it that way. Really..not enough of a issue to make one forgo such an easy solution.

Another option would be Upholstery Tacks, which have longer points, and you can place them according to where the Ceiling Joists are, and set them in place with a small Tack Hammer.

Either way, a minimum number of very small Holes will be needed, and you won't have to worry about securing a much heavier Framework above your Head.

But....as a last resort, you can make a grid on the Ceiling using Pine Wood Lattice (1.5" x .5" strips spray painted Black) that is secured to the Ceiling (..and into Joists every 3'...) with very skinny 1-1/4" Finish Brads, and use the Thumb Tacks pressed into the Pine Wood Lattice. Then, I can assure you they are not gonna fall out.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page