question on non-tension screen material - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-25-2017, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 64
question on non-tension screen material

tossing around which way i'm going for a screen. almost there. i know pull down projector screens develop ripples/waves over time if it's not tensioned but how about plain non tension screens like Carls proGray/ultra white? link here is another i'm looking into...http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-High-Con...gAAOSw32lYs8Pd

i'm not wall mounting but hanging from the ceiling with grommets along the top section. i'm thinking the 1/4" sintra/pvc stuff might be too heavy in comparison to the normal screen material in a 85x49 size. with the normal material i'm thinking of a grommet on each bottom corner for hanging something slightly heavy enough to keep it straight but not pulling on it too much. i feel like i'm over thinking this but just making sure i do it right and am happy with the outcome.

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio speakers
Power Sound Audio V1800, 2 MFW-15's, DIY ported UM18-22, SVS PB10-NSD
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500 & Silverticket 110" matte white 16:9
Benq HT2050 2nd system-pvc foam board screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-26-2017, 03:27 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
The Pro-White / Gray is a material that is at best semi-rigid...it doesn't stretch, but it does need to be applied to a frame lest it too develop waves or curling.

The PVC Board is among the lightest weight material there is...FAR lighter than a comparative sized Plywood or Mdf sheet

I'd suggest the PVC with a 1x2 perimeter Frame adhered with Contact Cement, and simple Eye Hooks screwed (Pre-drill the Holes) on the Top for Hanging.

Ya got'cherself a clean Zero Edged, Baby.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 4 Old 08-26-2017, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 709
I would expect a panel of Sintra to weigh less than a sheet of ProWhite/ProGrey plus small weights, but I feel like I'm probably not fully understanding what you're explaining.

Keep in mind that even the fairly stiff ProWhite material will really want some kind of top and bottom bar/support to help hold the material out and flat while it's hanging from a ceiling.
You could use something really lightweight and thin because you won't be stretching the ProWhite over it..just attaching it to add some stability.
On the other hand, I'd think plain Komex/Sintra panel without any additional supports around it should work equally well.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

post #4 of 4 Old 08-26-2017, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The Pro-White / Gray is a material that is at best semi-rigid...it doesn't stretch, but it does need to be applied to a frame lest it too develop waves or curling.

The PVC Board is among the lightest weight material there is...FAR lighter than a comparative sized Plywood or Mdf sheet

I'd suggest the PVC with a 1x2 perimeter Frame adhered with Contact Cement, and simple Eye Hooks screwed (Pre-drill the Holes) on the Top for Hanging.

Ya got'cherself a clean Zero Edged, Baby.
Last night with a bedsheet I measured my max size to be around 83x47. I'm thinking I'd have to go a hair bigger in case it isn't exactly that. If my local plastic store has it in stock still I can get a white 1/4" piece than slap some paint on it. I have the 6000 glue stuff for adhesive which works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page