A better grey screen - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 918 Old 07-12-2004, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I instanly thought of ME when I saw those light bulbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 918 Old 07-12-2004, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by [H]RedDog
I instanly thought of ME when I saw those light bulbs.

BTW, they are called 'reveal'. Maybe a little blue isn't so bad after all. I have one here to monkey with.
post #633 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 06:30 AM

Well I after running a true grey screen for 2 months I finaly picked up the stuff to make my ME mix. Tonight I did a test of the pure grey and 3 diffrent ME mixes. ME and two of my mix of ME one lighter than ME and one lighter than that. I will work on getting some screen shots on here tomorrow. The screen shots I took were of all the color screens from avia and some of the grey scale tests. As well as a pure white, pure black and pure blue screen from my x1's blank screen options. For now I'll just give my impression of what I saw. First off even though the pure grey screen is lighter than the ME paint I couldnt tell where the pure ME paint was. Second even though my first mix was darker than the pure grey it was brighter than the pure grey and the ME. The third was the brightest but seemed washed out a little. As far as color the lightest color mix did show a very slight blue push on skin tones.I think I only noticed it because Its lighter and stands out more. The other two I couldnt even tell where the pure grey and the ME and ME mix were. Other than My mix is brighter than eaither ME or true grey....Now my main problem I had with the pure grey is that day scenes were too dingy and dark. The ME realy brightens them up. There is something about that paint that just makes the colors pop. For the DLP guy I would say ME it darker than it needs to be. For LCD it is probably about right.

Also I've done a white vs ME and a white vs pure grey. Skin tones are jacked on eaither vs white. However without side by side white screen you have to realy be looking at and trying to detect the skin tone flaws. I think the richness you get from ME is worth more than a slight skin tone flaw.
post #634 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by [H]RedDog
The ME realy brightens them up. There is something about that paint that just makes the colors pop. For the DLP guy I would say ME it darker than it needs to be. For LCD it is probably about right.

I think the richness you get from ME is worth more than a slight skin tone flaw.

Eureka...we are now back to post #1! Did you also notice how it masks artifacts and helps mute SDE too. You can do MUCH worse on a $7.00 investment. Methinks bcortez's 'silverscreen' find may offer similar results.
post #635 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CMRA
Eureka...we are now back to post #1! Did you also notice how it masks artifacts and helps mute SDE too. You can do MUCH worse on a $7.00 investment. Methinks bcortez's 'silverscreen' find may offer similar results.

It does mask artifacts. SDE isnt too bad even on white with my PJ. But I do notice I cant realy see it in the white letters anymore like I can with white. I can say though I dont know what it is but rainbows reduced quite a bit. On true grey I see them the most. On white I see them less. On ME I only see them If I'm looking for them and even then only on sceens like a candle in a dark room. Any way here are some screen shots. ME is on the left ME mix lightes in the middle and med. on the right.

This if of the x1 white screen.
LL
post #636 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 08:18 PM

This is of the blue.
LL
post #637 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 08:24 PM

Heres magenta.
LL
post #638 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 08:25 PM

green.
LL
post #639 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 08:27 PM

red.
LL
post #640 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 08:30 PM

And now heres a few shot of just my mix with movies.
LL
post #641 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 PM

another
LL
post #642 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 08:38 PM

One more for now. I see about taking a few more shots tonight.
LL
post #643 of 918 Old 07-14-2004, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Be easy on posting too many screenies. The 'big' boss theatens to shut down threads with abusive attachments. However, it's OK to post freely in the Gallery.
This is a recent mandate from on high. In the past, it was a non issue.

So....please post in gallery and link back to this thread. Thanks. CMRA
post #644 of 918 Old 07-15-2004, 06:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Be easy on posting too many screenies. The 'big' boss theatens to shut down threads with abusive attachments. However, it's OK to post freely in the Gallery.
This is a recent mandate from on high. In the past, it was a non issue.

So....please post in gallery and link back to this thread. Thanks. CMRA

You mean, post in the gallery and link to it via this thread, don't you?

[H]RedDog's first images are within the letter of Dave Botts edict that allows comparisions and illustrations.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #645 of 918 Old 07-15-2004, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MississippiMan
You mean, post in the gallery and link to it via this thread, don't you?

[H]RedDog's first images are within the letter of Dave Botts edict that allows comparisions and illustrations.

Of course.

David made specific reference to the term 'attachments'. Whatever the case, let's not push our luck. There's too much valuable info in these threads that could be shamefully archived or truncated.

If you gotta go wild on the attachments, please do on your own thread(s).
post #646 of 918 Old 07-23-2004, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course.

David made specific reference to the term 'attachments'. Whatever the case, let's not push our luck. There's too much valuable info in these threads that could be shamefully archived or truncated.

If you gotta go wild on the attachments, please do on your own thread(s).

That seemed to work well. Ready for this? Got an eMail from down under. A bloke has found an ME substitute that he likes. He's also using some kind of filter he claims negates the tint. How come we never thought of that?
post #647 of 918 Old 07-30-2004, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ME celebrates its first birthday next month? Remember...it's blue, no it's green, no...it's ME...the better gray paint.
post #648 of 918 Old 07-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Still using an ME screen for my Z1, and still pleased with it since Dec of 03.
post #649 of 918 Old 08-11-2004, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cappra
Still using an ME screen for my Z1, and still pleased with it since Dec of 03.

Some ME fun facts:

ME was first discovered on 28 August, 2003.

ME was first announced on AVS 6 September, 2003

ME has been applied as a screen solution on three continents as well as Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Alaska.

ME has a family legacy which includes ME Lite, ME Plus, ME + Silver, and other variants.

ME has been a been mentioned as a screen solution on several other AV forums.
post #650 of 918 Old 09-20-2004, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the original ME thread. She's been archived and her age shows a bit. She may not walk as tall as her Light Fusion cousin, but her impact is known worldwide. If your'e thinking 'gray', give this lass and her siblings their due. I'll never forget when TWO members took down their cherished Grayhawks in favor of this $7 start-up.
post #651 of 918 Old 09-24-2004, 02:05 PM

Or at least for test purposes. Here is the poop. In an effort to produce a screen as simple ME and out perform ME (Hard) I tried some thing I have sujested to others in the early days of CMRA's Fusion efforts (and was reminded that the "Y" in DIY is yourself). Enter .03 mill drafting film (single side matte) and a can of latex silver paint (3 rolled coats) applied to the shiny side of the film. Brights are bright and the darks are better in my limited light controlled room. My paint technique shows it could use some help in the bright scenes but not bad considering that this was only a test ( the theory) bed. I will give some of my initial (subjective) observations but many hours of proper testing and photo documentation will be needed to sway the heads of this elite group, but as it looks promising here goes:

1. Pure whites are just as bright as ME, in any light.
2. Blacks are black, making ME look gray (but I was amazed how good ME was even gray) and shadow detail was much improved.
3. The two screens looked to be the same brightness in a light controlled situation.
4. Me is much brighter when presenting a picture between the two extremes (pure black and white) with ambient light in the room but it also washes out more. The DFSS (Drafting Film Silver Screen) even thought dimmer by comparison it is much more satisfying to watch because of the deeper blacks/colors while maintaining the better shadow detail.
5. No Hot spoting!
6. Whites are so bright they seem to blume in comparison to other colors (maybe a little UPW to knock the edge off.
7. Almost the same level of SDE with the DFSS as ME (ME is great and has a hair edge).
8. With the advent of football season (daytime) this screen has compelled me to hang the DFSS over the ME painted screen and plot a time to recreate it with a little more attention to detail.

Just reporting in....

PS. Z2 with a 2:35 36"X82" screen
post #652 of 918 Old 09-28-2004, 06:18 PM

New 4805 and bravo D2 owner

Just Recieved the new pj and player. This is my fisrt projector. Put the pic on a wall WOW. I am in process of making DIY screen from 3/8 drywall and bought gallon of silverscreen paint as recommended.

As lucas said it is not resolution but size of screen that matters
RJ
post #653 of 918 Old 10-03-2004, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

rjsquirrel, you may want to consider cutting your silverscreen 3:1 with Behr White Opal No. 751 Pearlescence. Someone recently posted their comparison between silverscreen and this 3:1 mixture and preferred the mixture. I can't find the post now; these threads are too long.

I recently painted my screen with this mixture and I like it. It's only slightly gray but helps a great deal with the SDE problem I have with my cheapo pj (300:1 CR). The silverscreen alone probably would be a touch grayer than this mixture. I'll keep my screen this way at least until after I upgrade to a Z2 or 4805.
post #654 of 918 Old 10-12-2004, 05:47 PM

Sorry if this is already somewhere within this thread, but it's a long one and I haven't been able to read the through whole thing. I am curious if anyone has compared this wondrous Home Depot find to the professional Goo Systems screen paint? Particularly to the Digital Grey Light? I am currently using a DIY PP screen with a Panny L300u and HTPC. I just ordered the Goo paint yesterday and am planning to paint it directly over my 120" diag. PP screen. Did I waste my money? Should I have just gone to my local HD?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply!

If you build it they will come...
post #655 of 918 Old 10-12-2004, 10:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Flowers
Sorry if this is already somewhere within this thread, but it's a long one and I haven't been able to read the through whole thing. I am curious if anyone has compared this wondrous Home Depot find to the professional Goo Systems screen paint? Particularly to the Digital Grey Light? I am currently using a DIY PP screen with a Panny L300u and HTPC. I just ordered the Goo paint yesterday and am planning to paint it directly over my 120" diag. PP screen. Did I waste my money? Should I have just gone to my local HD?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Compared to Goo? Only about a hunnred' times over almost 2 years.

Goo is a fine product, but sooooo expensive. And unless you bought a double batch of Top Coat & Base Coat, the standard amount WILL NOT cover your desired screen area.

Also, Goo's tendency to highlight existiing video artifacts will result in your seeing the SDE on the Panny more clearly that you ever have. ME "Masks' SDE within it's greyish green hue, but does not crush whites nearly so much as other Grays often do. Most Colors have a "snap" to them, lent by the Thallo Green's tendency to amplify light. Only a few colors have thier hues slightly altered by ME. In that, it becomes a matter of personal taste and preference. Most easily trade off the excellent Blacks, and crisp detail and snap AND SDE reduction for any slight tendency to push blue or green hues.

Better to up the lamp black & 'lighten' the Thallo Green & Raw Umber ingredients just a bit to acieve less "Green/Blue' push yet maintain a High Conrast' effect.

Or leave it alone, try it first on the wall instead of the DG Base, and then use the DG Goo Topcoat over the pure ME.

Ya know....., I like the sound of that last suggestion. Really.

We can call it ME Digital Goop

I'd say you all set to break now ground, Cliff. Go for it!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #656 of 918 Old 10-13-2004, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No question about it. ME was and is a popular gray solution. And, dirt cheap.
However, most of us have moved on over time to advanced solutions such as SD/MM, now commonly called 'Light Fusion'

Here's a 'toggle' image to illustrate the difference. (BTW, members with high lumen-low contrast PJs may still enjoy ME more.)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72#post3287472
post #657 of 918 Old 10-13-2004, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No question about it. ME was and is a popular gray solution. And, dirt cheap.
However, most of us have moved on over time to advanced solutions such as SD/MM, now commonly called 'Light Fusion'

Oh, please... there's no way I'm about to believe "most of us have moved on over time to advanced solutions such as SD/MM, now commonly called 'Light Fusion'." I'm sorry but that's just rediculous.

A simple poll in the DIY Screen section would easily show a clear minority of DIY screen AVS'ers currently use any such "advanced solution". CMRA, even if you instead meant to predict that most of us "will eventually" move on to same, I'm sure many more would like to, but a majority actually using an "advanced solution" some day... I seriously doubt it. Such a poll also most likely would show the vast majority of DIY screen AVS'ers are currently using something less involved than an "advanced solution".
post #658 of 918 Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I spoke too freely. I should have said 'many of us'. The many, in this case, reflect the 'avid' amongst us who enjoy the challenge of DIY screen design.

Pausing for thought, there just have not been that many. What a shame.
post #659 of 918 Old 10-14-2004, 01:58 PM

Does anyone have a link or thread title where the comparison of ME versus Grey (light) Screen Goo took place? A search came up with nothing.

Thanks!

If you build it they will come...
post #660 of 918 Old 10-26-2004, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Todd,
Here's the ME story from the beginning. Goto post #1.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page