post #541 of 853 Old 01-29-2004, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Originally posted by jsm88
Don't mean to be pushy MM, and I truly appreciate all your effort, but I NEED that thread. I am hoping to pick up anything I need tonight on my way home and put up that first coat of SM so it has time to cure, but I don't want to start until I get the full story from the horses mouth. Please.

Waiting with baited brush....

Push away. I'll try to have it up by Noon central

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 853 Old 01-29-2004, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by dewdrop
Hi MM,
Thanks for putting me on the right path. I wish I did not go out to buy the ME just now...drats, now I have the MM as well. darn it.

I have another problem right now, I can't seem to find the Behr SM in the Home Depot at Schaumburg. Can you suggest an alternative?

Ed

... that ME makes an excellent primer base for SM? But, what does it look like on it's own? Well, for $7.00 how's this?
LL
post #543 of 853 Old 01-31-2004, 12:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

.or this ME shot
LL

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #544 of 853 Old 01-31-2004, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

...ME attributes was it's ability to bring out the blacks without crushing the whites. Yes, the blacks really were this black using an LCD projector.
LL
post #545 of 853 Old 02-02-2004, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I wasn't able to spray the mirror SD/MM yet (no painting guy and no mirrors yet), so I painted over my ME+ screen with a few coats of SM, then 3 coats of MM and had it ready for the Super Bowl. I took a bunch of screenshots and posted them in the Super Deluxe Gallery (before calibration) and the SM/MM instructions thread (after calibration and tweaking). Since this is only a temporary screen (still hope to spray the mirror within a few weeks) I rushed it and it's not of the highest quality. Even so, it was an obvious improvement over the ME+. As I mentioned on the other threads, the blacks initially caught me off guard in an HD broadcast of the Towering Inferno (black tuxes). And that was before calibrating. After calibration the whites are incredible, the blacks are approaching CRT-levels, and skin tones and other colors are appropriately vivid. Imagine if I'd taken appropriate care when painting.

Anyway, I think my Misty Evening variations days are over. At the very least, DIYers should give the SM/MM formulation a try on their walls. There are no size limitations (as with the mirrored SD/MM) and the improvements in all three aspects (blacks, whites, colors) are well worth the effort. I personally can't wait to spray my SD/MM screen to compare against the SM/MM. Sounds like a whole new thread to me...

Something profound

post #546 of 853 Old 02-02-2004, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Scoob5555,

Wowser. Coming from you, that endorsement on the SM/MM screen variation seems like a proclamation. Knowing how particular you've been only serves to make the point clearer; SM/MM is a great DIY screen. It had to be ya know, to force CMRA to try to make inroads towards improving on his beloved ME. Even previous efforts such as yours, and a few others to "Bast*rdize" ME into something else altogether didn't spur that reaction.

No, I had to start posting Screen shots that threatened to dethrone him from the lofty pinnacle he was perched upon by virtue of his stunning SSs on top of a $9.00 paint job.

Still, SM/MM ain't no "one Coater", dats fer sur.

I'm glad you have a good solution to enjoy until SD/MM hits your wall. And really glad your going to get SD/MM in the first place.

Now.....keep posting SSs w/chapter & approx. location and let's "get it on!"

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #547 of 853 Old 02-02-2004, 07:49 PM

I noticed that we have 28 pages of information and a lot of back and forth on THE perfect screen solution. For the lazy newbies, ahem..., that don't have the time to read 28 pages of discussions and pictures, would someone be kind enough to post the 'formula' in plain and english without abbreviations and also if the paint is applied to drywall or plywood or whatever else. I bet the newbies would really appreciate it!

Maybe we can get the moderator to post it at the top of the discussion thread.

TIA
post #548 of 853 Old 02-02-2004, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by audionut
I noticed that we have 28 pages of information and a lot of back and forth on THE perfect screen solution. For the lazy newbies, ahem..., that don't have the time to read 28 pages of discussions and pictures, would someone be kind enough to post the 'formula' in plain and english without abbreviations and also if the paint is applied to drywall or plywood or whatever else. I bet the newbies would really appreciate it!

Maybe we can get the moderator to post it at the top of the discussion thread.

TIA

Your request has been done several times already. Members are constantly updating formulations (in plain english) which get buried in the threads as they grow.
Also remember, DIY is a continuous work in progress. There is no 'One' solution either. What was great yestermonth is archived next month. Just the way it is.
Good advice for newbies: Take the time to read the longer threads. Though they seem confusing sometimes, it's these that provide the real insight to DIY. Also, take the effort to 'search'. AVS is the most powerful and user friendly AV forum ever.
post #549 of 853 Old 02-02-2004, 08:27 PM

CMRA, you may be right but look at the options already available to us, my head is ready to explode and I don't have the foggiest on what will work with my projector. From my perspective, there are three major issues that we all have to work with (1) type of projector (DLP, LCD, other) (2) free time available to try different screen options (3) screen material best suited for projector. In most cases, we can easily narrow down option (1) and maybe option (3). Once we know the constants than the variable is time (2). (2) could also be further sub-divided into (a) time available and (b) expertise in sanding/painting. If we can narrow stuff down, it might help focus engergies on building the right screen setup. If there was tool available within AVS to help do just that, it could limit the time spent reading through all the threads and get to the heart of what's required to build the screen with the available options.

Let me know what you think.
post #550 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

audionut-
I did a sorta summary of the last 6 months activities on Page 26, post 518, here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...06#post3263106

The acronyms are there, but they're pretty easy to figure out. Here's a short list for everyone:

ME = Misty Evening, a Glidden paint that we most often mix in their Evermore Exterior Masonry Stucco base. "Discovered" by CMRA.

ME+ = ME+, a few varieties of ME + SM, Flat Clear Base, and Faux Glaze. Designed to be rolled in a one-coat application (for ease of creation).

ME+ Lite = ME+ cut with UPW.

SM = Silver Metallic, a Behr paint found in their faux/specialty paints section. #743.

UPW = Behr Ultra Pure White (flat) interior paint

SD = Super Deluxe, CMRA's improvement on the whole ME, ME+ craze. Uses plexi/acrylic as the substrate with SM on one side and some white mix on the front.

MM = MississippiMud, MississippiMan's attempt to copy Screen Goo for about $40 for 3/4 Gal versus a few hundred $$$ for a quart or two. Consists of Behr UPW, Behr White Opal Pearlescent (#745), and Behr Deep Base 1300. MM is sprayed using a High Volume, Low Pressure (HVLP) spray gun and a larger, oilless air compressor setup.

SD/MM = Super Deluxe + Mississippi Mud on the front. Again using one of the plexi/acrylic as substrate.

SD/MM LFS = Super Deluxe + MississippiMud Light Fusion Screen (Trademark pending ). Uses a Mirror instead of the plexi/acrylic as substrate. Described as having a plasma-like glow when you turn on your system. The current pinnacle.

SM/MM = Silver Metallic + MississippiMud for wall applications. A formulation MMan has been touting since around Thanksgiving to roll or spray directly onto a wall. Approaches the greatness of SD/MM but without the contraints of mirror/plexi size.

That's all I can think of right now.

Something profound

post #551 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 07:49 AM

Hmm, I think I'm going to bookmark this post.
post #552 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by audionut
CMRA, you may be right but look at the options already available to us, my head is ready to explode and I don't have the foggiest on what will work with my projector. From my perspective, there are three major issues that we all have to work with (1) type of projector (DLP, LCD, other) (2) free time available to try different screen options (3) screen material best suited for projector. In most cases, we can easily narrow down option (1) and maybe option (3). Once we know the constants than the variable is time (2). (2) could also be further sub-divided into (a) time available and (b) expertise in sanding/painting. If we can narrow stuff down, it might help focus engergies on building the right screen setup. If there was tool available within AVS to help do just that, it could limit the time spent reading through all the threads and get to the heart of what's required to build the screen with the available options.

Let me know what you think.

I don't wish to sound disrespectful, however, there's a point to be made. We can't do EVERYTHING for you. This is DIY. It is your duty to determine which route is best for you. The more you read the more you know.

DIY requires work and sometimes hard work. It comes with no guarantees. A skilled member with experience will fab a screen in a few hours, a first time DIYer may have to suffer forward for days if not weeks. Again, there is no right screen, only a best compromise. What works well for member A may not wash with member B. Set-ups and projectors differ. Hence, results differ. You may go through a half dozen solutions til you find the best for you.

You strike me as an individual who would not be suited for DIY. And, you have alot of company. If reading the information (as is) is this challenging to you, how much harder will doing the work be? And, when you blunder, (we all blunder) who are you going to blame?

The day may come when we can provide a copy written manuscript detailing DIY screens. Today is not that day.
post #553 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 08:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by CMRA
I don't wish to sound disrespectful, however, there's a point to be made. We can't do EVERYTHING for you. This is DIY. It is your duty to determine which route is best for you. The more you read the more you know.

You strike me as an individual who would not be suited for DIY. And, you have alot of company. If reading the information (as is) is this challenging to you, how much harder will doing the work be? And, when you blunder, (we all blunder) who are you going to blame?

The day may come when we can provide a copy written manuscript detailing DIY screens. Today is not that day.

hey CMRA!* (Crusty, mean, rancorous, .......*

Give this guy a break, He PM'd me and I sent him some links to read though. Personally, I think he'll jump on the concept sooner than many have, and do just fine.

But you make a well intentioned point. It just that it is lost on newbees who get excited at the prospect of something new & wonderful, and want it served up yesterday on a Silver Metallic platter. This thread, and it's info is a start towards taking the burden of responsibility many feel is ours for getting their interest piqued, from off our sloped and sagging shoulders. Make no mistake, I too feel your pain.

But the success stories that are starting to roll in are a great salve, are they not? They are the "Ben Gay' that soothes the aches and pains from rebuttals, disclaimers, outright assaults on one's character, and of course the efforts made by us on everyone else's behalf.

Now, put on your happy face, like Smeagol below, and POST SOME SCREENSHOTS OF THAT BIG NEW SD/MM LF SCREEN! NOW !!!!!!!!!!

...you CMRA*, you!
LL

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #554 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MississippiMan

Now, put on your happy face, like Smeagol below, and POST SOME SCREENSHOTS OF THAT BIG NEW SD/MM LF SCREEN! NOW !!!!!!!!!!

...you CMRA*, you!

How's this for a screen shot? If you notice I have Monster's Inc. on the screen.
LL
post #555 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I case anyone is curious how the new screen looks 'in action' to the prior 84 incher, it is identical, only BIGGER. And why would it be any different? Except for size, it IS identical.

Attached is the CMRA 'cart'. Same as always since day one. Z1, Xp-50, and HTPC just as stated in my unedited profile. Just like movies, she too looks much better in the dark.
LL
post #556 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by CMRA
How's this for a screen shot? If you notice I have Monster's Inc. on the screen.

You are soooooooooooo clever.

And Sooooooooooo..., well ya know.

Now why didn't cha post a shot aforen I had ta go?

Off to deliver 3 PJs, set one up with a SM/MM screen and 50-HD (SCREEN SHOTS!!!)

........and go take measurements for not 1, not 2, but (3) three SD/MM LF screens.

I'm going to have 4 - 10' x 6' sheets of Mirrored Plexi shipped to me from Verginny. All in one cuntainor. Costs les dat wiegh.

Seize ya later.
LL

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #557 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

With screen shots like that, you certainly don't need mine to illustrate the SM/MM-SD/MM story. If you get much better you may have a new calling.
And, no stuck pixels to boot!
post #558 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 07:17 PM

CMRA, you may have missed my point. The point I was making is that it is unnecessary for people to go through screen options for LCD if they have a DLP (for example). Not sure how you 'figured out my character' from one email but if that's your opinion, you are welcome to it. Regardless, I believe that your work in conjunction with MississippiMan and Scoob5555 is definitely a huge benefit to the DIY community. Cheers.
post #559 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm going to have 4 - 10' x 6' sheets of Mirrored Plexi shipped to me from Verginny

MM- Where in VA? I'm way up by DC, but if you found a good price on 10x6, I'd be up for a road trip.
-Clarence
post #560 of 853 Old 02-03-2004, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:

the CMRA 'cart'. Same as always since day one

Love it! I haven't had the sides on my PCs for 15 years! Drives my wife crazy.
post #561 of 853 Old 02-04-2004, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by marcorsyscom
Love it! I haven't had the sides on my PCs for 15 years! Drives my wife crazy.

I always wondered why the wife left and the dog wouldn't hunt.
post #562 of 853 Old 02-06-2004, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MississippiMan
Now, put on your happy face, like Smeagol below, and POST SOME SCREENSHOTS OF THAT BIG NEW SD/MM LF SCREEN! NOW !!!!!!!!!

...you CMRA*, you!

OK,OK. This screen is too enjoyable for the time being. Only made a few SS so far. My friend came over and said this was my best SD/MM to date. But, what does he know? But, its BIG.
How about some never before posted screenies?

Pix 1:
LL
post #563 of 853 Old 02-06-2004, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Pix 2
LL
post #564 of 853 Old 02-06-2004, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Pix 3
LL
post #565 of 853 Old 02-10-2004, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I have often thought about reverting the SD/MM topcoat back to a 'silver' blend since it has yet to be tried on a mirror. I love the vivid colors in CGI animation. Which of the following two images do you members prefer, A or B?
LL
post #566 of 853 Old 02-10-2004, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

B, 2 of 2
LL
post #567 of 853 Old 02-10-2004, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

B for me. Detail in the sea plants behind the blow-fish seal the deal.

Something profound

post #568 of 853 Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 AM

Ditto for B. I notcied the exact same thing as Scoob did. More details in B than A.

Darren
post #569 of 853 Old 02-11-2004, 09:54 AM

Definitely B.
post #570 of 853 Old 02-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member