Misty Evening + Silver "one-coat" solution - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 853 Old 05-28-2004, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's still the Z1 but it was taken on the 84" light fusion screen with the oly E100-RS. Told you it would get tougher.

How about this one?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 853 Old 06-01-2004, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Aw, don't give up guys. The party is just starting. Who's the next winner?
post #633 of 853 Old 06-04-2004, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Someone must be up to task, right? C'mon, it's not that much harder...yet.
post #634 of 853 Old 06-04-2004, 01:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

Originally posted by CMRA
Someone must be up to task, right? C'mon, it's not that much harder...yet.

ME & Z1

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #635 of 853 Old 06-04-2004, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Of all members, I'd figure you'd know a Z2 (2HD) on Light Fusion when you saw it.

Let's try again. This time you get two for one and tell tale signs to boot. These were taken within minutes of each other on the same setup. Inspect carefully, then post your best guess.

1 of 2:
LL
post #636 of 853 Old 06-04-2004, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

here's the next one:
LL
post #637 of 853 Old 06-07-2004, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

C'mon, this isn't that hard. Here's a hint: before there was LF there was...
post #638 of 853 Old 06-07-2004, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I don't know but I will take one 54" x 96" please!
post #639 of 853 Old 06-10-2004, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

It's PVC matte white. 'Do-Able'. to be exact. Amongst the earliest images ever posted by CMRA. And, yes, it was from a Z1/Panny combo.

In retrospect. I bet that wasn't very hard to figure out. Just look at the titles. re= resized, rs=Rapid Shot (aka my Oly E-100) and w=white. Z1? Yeah, I only own one PJ. I didn't even have my mits on a Z2 until Feb of 2004.

Piece of cake.
post #640 of 853 Old 06-12-2004, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the next challenge. Should be a dead give away to any avid AVSer.
Here's a Hint: Not a Z1 this time.
LL
post #641 of 853 Old 06-13-2004, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's another pair of screenies taken minutes apart. Can ANYONE determine thier origin (screen and PJ)?

1 of 2
LL
post #642 of 853 Old 06-13-2004, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's 2 of 2. Same question.
LL
post #643 of 853 Old 06-13-2004, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Due to lack of activity, maybe this thread should be closed.

Quad Core Q6600 G0 @ 3.6Ghz
Abit IP35-E
2x1GB G.Skill PC800
Geforce 7800GT
post #644 of 853 Old 06-13-2004, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SlackerX
CMRA,

You should let us know if there is any change in ambient light viewing properties with your new mixtures as you go along.

SlackerX, you may just want to take a look at MM's latest 'ambient' light screen shots on the superplex thread. He is, of course, using a 20-HD (2200 Lumen light canon), but it fares well. Can't wait to see first surface with the 20-HD.
post #645 of 853 Old 06-14-2004, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by ridetheducati
Due to lack of activity, maybe this thread should be closed.

This thread is still relevent for those considering all DIY options. In fact many are steered elsewhere from this thread as well. If no one does post, it will recede back into the archives with all the other hoary old forgotten topics. But as long as folks like you get off thier bad ass bikes (...varrooooom, Ducati Cafe Racers RULE!) and bother to post anything, I'm bettin' CMRA doesn't close it down.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #646 of 853 Old 06-14-2004, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MississippiMan
But as long as folks like you get off thier bad ass bikes (...varrooooom, Ducati Cafe Racers RULE!) and bother to post anything, I'm bettin' CMRA doesn't close it down.

You got that right, MissMan! This IS the defacto screen thread. If AVSers want to know about DIY screens this is the thread to read. It is populated with a multitude of successful screen designs with links to several others. Dismiss it and lose out the best AVS has to offer.
post #647 of 853 Old 06-15-2004, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, quick, which combo did this? (If you got the last one your'e one away from a hat trick...they are the same.)
LL
post #648 of 853 Old 06-22-2004, 03:42 PM

Well, I started with plain BO (blackout) cloth for my 76" wide screen using a Plus Piano HE-3100. Picture was good, fairly bright, but I wanted to improve the black levels, shadow detail, and overall contrast. I was looking for an economical simple solution so many of the layered solutions were out of the question for me. So I tried using plain Misty Evening. I thought it looked O.K. but picture lost all punch. Probably because the Piano only has 450 lumens.

So then I tried the ME+ with silver. Based on the creator's suggestion, I added more ME to the mix and reduced the proportion of flat base. I used 30% flat base, 30% ME, 20% faux glaze, and 20% silver paint. The result was even worse. I agree with what some have said - Grey with silver is not a good combination. Basically, my picture was even more dim and had a nasty metallic look which really bothered me. Noticeable hotspotting. Roller marks everywhere (I tried a number of different rollers and painting techniques but could not achieve a smooth finish). Colors were distorted and artifacts magnified. And I believe shadow detail was worse, not better.

So..... I then tried the Mississippi Mud "light" formula - 2 quarts bright white latex with 1 quart pearlescent glaze. I then added about 1/8 oz. of flat black enamel paint (modeler's paint) to the mix. I ended up with a very light grey (close to neutral G8 shade). I'm very pleased with the results! Contrast is great, picture is bright again. When I hold up a scrap of plain BO cloth, my new screen is definitely punchier. Face shots are noticeably brighter. But black level is virtually identical between the test material and finished screen. Oh, and no roller marks this time!

So what did I learn from all this? Well, $100 in paint and many hours of painting later, I agree with what many of you experts advise. It's hard to beat flat white for a DIY solution. That's basically what I wound up with, although I believe the pearlescent glaze adds a little gain. I'm guessing I have a 1.1-1.2 gain screen instead of 1.0 matte white.
post #649 of 853 Old 06-23-2004, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tannehill
So what did I learn from all this? Well, $100 in paint and many hours of painting later, I agree with what many of you experts advise. It's hard to beat flat white for a DIY solution. That's basically what I wound up with, although I believe the pearlescent glaze adds a little gain. I'm guessing I have a 1.1-1.2 gain screen instead of 1.0 matte white.

From your discription, it almost sounds like you duplicated a StudioTek 130.
I'd say you got your $100 worth and then some.
post #650 of 853 Old 06-27-2004, 09:26 PM

Hello all! I found this forum and thread and I need to ask a dumb question. I probably am not searching correctly for this answer but here it goes...

I am going to be getting an X1 in about a week and being an avid DIY'er I found that I could build my own screen. I then found this forum and have been busy trying to bring myself up to speed as quickly as possible as to the myriad of choices to do my screen with. My questions are as follows:

1. is the whole Misty Evening talk just that? I just paint my wallboard with it after I kilz it and I am done? I have seen the other "formula's" and I am starting to get a wee bit confused on all the different mixtures to do. I assume that the ME+ is Misty Evening plus Silver and some other things from what I read but I just would like to know. I am upgrading from a 27" TV so anything bigger should have alot of wow factor to keep me giddy for a while.

2. after much thought and discussion and figuring I am going to make my screen 8' wide since the room I have is dedicated to theatre and is 24' deep so the image wont be too big for my eyes. my other question is this, If I make my screen 8' wide then the height is 4.5' high for 16:9 or 6' high for 4:3 ( it will be predominantly for movies but a packers game might slip in. ) I am leaning towards using wallboard which means that I would have a seam in the drywall. Should I be worried about this or not? I will be extra careful in seaming it and I have done drywalling before but I am worried that I will end up with scracking etc over time. how does one get around this without seeing a seam? will I need more coats of ME+ or ME?

I think I dove in too far to this hobby to fast. Trying to take this all in is getting me crazy.....

Thanks a bunch in advance for all the help so far in helping me understand my options.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. "
Douglas Adams
post #651 of 853 Old 06-27-2004, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Back up and regroup. There's many approaches in DIY, each appealing to some more than others. There is no one way or right way, rather the best way for what's important to you.
Most applications require modest out of pocket expense and afford you the opportunity to see which is best for you. As such, it's recommended you try several approaches and decide which is most favorable to you.
Thanks for your time.
post #652 of 853 Old 06-28-2004, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CMRA
Back up and regroup. There's many approaches in DIY, each appealing to some more than others. There is no one way or right way, rather the best way for what's important to you.
Most applications require modest out of pocket expense and afford you the opportunity to see which is best for you. As such, it's recommended you try several approaches and decide which is most favorable to you.
Thanks for your time.

I totally agree with you CMRA. I did not mean to sound as if I am asking for the one true way. in DIY that doesnt exist since it is all up to preference. ( I guess I was more tired that I thought I was when I posted).

now that I am well rested I do want to say that I think I am leaning toward ME but I will be testing other surfaces as well before I am "finished". I was more curious as to if ME is just that ... Straight out of the can paint not additional "stuff" ( silver etc...).

The other major wrestling point in substrate to paint on. the way my room is I cannot use the wall proper. I am leaning toward Drywall but alas I keep coming back to the dreaded "taping" issue. I was just wondering if anyone has any special reccomendations on taping the joints or just not worry about it.

Sorry for the confusion. I didnt mean to come all wierd and stuff. I am a bit excited since I have been wanting a big screen for over 5 years and now I will finally get one thanks to a friend of mine having us over to his house to check out his X1.

Cheers!

Douglas Adams
post #653 of 853 Old 06-28-2004, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

How's this for being contrary? There may not be "The One true way", but there are ways that are decidedly better than others.

ME IS NOT the paint you want to use with an X1.

The X1 ....... ( get an X2, it's better! More connectibility, more lumens, better CR, and your Bud doesnt have one!!! ) .......already has a excellent CR value (2000:1). CMRA created ME to augment an LCD PJ with only a 500:1 CR. using ME with decidedly dull your image, dingy up your whites, and cut back on your "on screen" lumens.

You need a highly reflective surface, but since your going with a VGA PJ (800x600) and pumping up the image size to 120" diagonal (96" x 72') your going to want a surface that dpesn't exaggerate the pixelation (SDE) you'll see at that size if your anywhere closer than 12' to the wall. This in mind, you'll want to use a paint that allows for some degree of light penetration to help absorb the grid lines.

Your PJ will have to be mounted at least 18.5' feet back from the screen for you to be at the bottom end of the x1's focal length. (best picture)

Dry wall? No problem as lond as your wall is plumb and level across the surface. Just go get and use a 12" Blade to float (smooth or feather) the tape (mudded) area of the joint out as far as possible. To get a truly even looking surface, float a skim across the whole area and then wet sand to a smooth texture.

If you use Fiberglas Tape and don't layer the mud on too thick, you should never have a "crack".

As far as the screen paint goes, you'd be best served by using a pure white, Flat latex paint. MississippiMud mix mixed with just the barest touch of Lamp Black* would be the ideal choice, layered on with a 1/2" nap roller until it's at least 3 coats thick, the last two coats being wet sanded, then a 4 th coat applied with a 1'4" nap Imitation Lambs Wool roller.

Or just use Behr Ultra Pure White Ceiling (Flat latex) by itself w/ the amount of Lamp Black added to make it match the gray shade of a very light Gray color card.

There ARE some more exotic ideas you COULD try, but I'd suggest that for now, go with the quick, easy solution. Just getting a smooth substrate, and then laying down excellent coats each time should be all the focus of this, your initial endeavor.

The pic below is meant to be a example of a finished X1 / UPW only screen combo, intended for you to easily see a finished result.
LL

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #654 of 853 Old 06-28-2004, 10:01 PM

After reading all this I had to Try some DIY myself...

With keyboard in hand I just got home from that friend of mine's house after going out and getting two 4x8 sheets of Drywall and painting it.

we started with two main paints to try and I am thouroghly impressed as well as he and he had been using the Da-lite high power screen with his x1.
We use the following in a quadrant pattern.
Q1. ME straight
Q2. ME with 25% behr pearlescence
Q3. Behr Silverscreen straight
Q4. BEhr Silverscreen with 25% pearlescence.

All I have to say is I fell in awe of silverscreen with pearlesence! I will have him post some pics if you want to see what we see.
The quote out of my mouth was

"OH MY God Nemo is fantastic"

Unless I play around a bit more I have decided that sticking with a 4x8 sheet and not taping and using the silverscreen with pearl is my ticket to the eye candy store!

the ME just seemed too gree and dingy to me while the silverscreen with the pearl added the contrast I like and the punchiness where the straight silverscreen didnt.

BTW did I do something original or has someone else already done this combo and I am wasting precious electrons right now?

Douglas Adams
post #655 of 853 Old 06-28-2004, 10:03 PM

fyi .. for got to say in above post.

the other 4x8 we immediately painted with the silverscreen and pearlesence mix and when it was dry (10pm) we watched bits of movies to verify ..

WOW is all I can say.

Douglas Adams
post #656 of 853 Old 06-29-2004, 04:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by xanaduguy

the other 4x8 we immediately painted with the silverscreen and pearlesence mix and when it was dry (10pm) we watched bits of movies to verify ..

WOW is all I can say.

BTW did I do something original or has someone else already done this combo and I am wasting precious electrons right now?

Nope. A couple years back, several people advocated the use of Behr SilverStag & Pearlesence. Went so far as exhibit it at a Shootout. Down in Flames it went. Of course, PJ wern't as bright or a color rich then as now.

As the paint on your screen cures, your image should noticable improve. Remember, the depth (thickness) of your paint surface will work to defuse some SDE and Digital / Analog artifacts if you have / maintain a degree of translucency.

As for posting Photos, be sure to do so in the AVS Picture gallery, or link to a site that contains them. One too many here and punitive action could result in this thread going "Invisible".

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #657 of 853 Old 06-29-2004, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by xanaduguy

WOW is all I can say.

Here's a DIYer that found a favorable solution and only has 4 posts. Time to take a bow xguy.
post #658 of 853 Old 06-29-2004, 09:08 AM

well thanks... Shucks.

I really have all you guys to thanks since I just read the threads and formed my own opinions based on a logical deduction of what i know I like when I go to see a movie. Based on that criteria I weeded out different paints and techniques and got to my final two that I tried. I probably will still tweak it a bit in the end but for now I will stay close to my originaly mix. I am very impressed that a $8 can of paint and drywall can do what it does.

My whole Idea for my home theatre is that never want to go to a public screen again. We have an Ultra-Screen out here in Milwaukee . It is absolutely huge! I grew up with that and ever since I have wanted one of my own. The screen is at least 50' tall probably bigger and parabolic. I am not sure of the exact dimensions but I never go to a movie unless it plays on the BIG screen.

I will keep fiddling with different paints and I will try some other things I see on this forum as well. It is a nice relaxing hobby just like my saltwater reef tank.

Cheers!

Douglas Adams
post #659 of 853 Old 06-29-2004, 09:23 AM

Liked: 11
xanaduguy,

This is what I've been talking about, the D in DIY is for DO, not talk/ask. Great job, and kudo's.

I may try a sample of adding the pearlescence to the leftover Behr SS mix myself. I have another piece (foresight when purchasing) of 4x8 GatorFoam intended as a test surface to be cut up, etc... Your mixture ratio was 75% Behr SS with 25% Pearlescence, right? How did you measure?

Owner of the Tavern Theater(R) Pub.
"Where homebrew is always on tap"
post #660 of 853 Old 06-29-2004, 09:33 AM

yup 75% SS and 25% pearlesence.

I pretty much eyed it up but it was for the test piece 1 cup SS and 1/4 cupish of Pearl. I noticed as I added it that i stopped as the SS just started to become shiny and sparkly, if those are scientific terms.

We just duplicated the same ratio on a bigger scale when doing the big piece.

I am anxious to see what you think of it.

Douglas Adams
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page