CRMA/MM Superplex Formula - Page 90 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2671 of 2679 Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey CMRA and MississippiMan,

I just wanted to say big thank you for all your hard work. Back when this thread first started, I created a screen for my Screen 4800. Now I have a Epson 1080UB. With the new projector the screen looks even better.

The AV shop that I bought the projector from offered to come out and calibrate my projector for free. I took them up on it and the whole time the gentlemen who came out keep saying how much he liked the screen.

I was a little worried that I would have to redo the screen.

I am looking forward to trying SILVER this spring.

Thank you again,
CM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2679 Old 02-17-2008, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticMachinery View Post

Hey CMRA and MississippiMan,

I just wanted to say big thank you for all your hard work. Back when this thread first started, I created a screen for my Screen 4800. Now I have a Epson 1080UB. With the new projector the screen looks even better.

The AV shop that I bought the projector from offered to come out and calibrate my projector for free. I took them up on it and the whole time the gentlemen who came out keep saying how much he liked the screen.

I was a little worried that I would have to redo the screen.

I am looking forward to trying SILVER this spring.

Thank you again,
CM

Thanks CM.

It's just such 'votes of confidence' that kept us going through the years. MM doesn't post much anymore, so I'll pass the kind words along.

Congrats on the new PJ. I've read it's a darling, best in class. Enjoy.
post #2673 of 2679 Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post

Thanks CM.

It's just such 'votes of confidence' that kept us going through the years. MM doesn't post much anymore, so I'll pass the kind words along.

Congrats on the new PJ. I've read it's a darling, best in class. Enjoy.

PS: I hope you have the courage to try S-I-L-V-E-R.
Do read MM's shortcut method also. It's labor saving. CMRA
post #2674 of 2679 Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 241
With all the hue & cry about "reflectivity" and "white/silver bases", the advent of the use of true Mirrors has been overlooked.

Light Fusion was always a very special application, and when combined with any darker hued Contrast Enhancing paint that is sprayed on.....it's always going to top out above a purely painted endeavor.

The larger Mirrors (5' x 8'+) have become almost non-existant due to a merger between the two largest Mfg of such, with the current entity opting not to produce them except on custom orders.

However 8' x 4' Plastic Mirrors are still available for under $100, and so being they are directly in line with the cost of the same size Wilson Art DW sheet. But DW can never deliver Light Fusion's performance.....there is just no possible way. Mind you it does as good as possible...the best of any pure White unpainted surface to date, but there it maintains a steady position, allowing only for the performance of a PJ itself to dictate how good the image will be. And quite honestly, any High Contrast PJ shooting onto a pure White surface WILL lose a degree of it's contrast. Start out with a native 30k:1 CR and the loss will be miniscule enough to not warrant concern. But under 6k native CR? No help asfar as maintaining CR will be / can be forthcoming.

But nothing short of a stretched Mylar sheeting can equal a 2nd Surface Plastic Mirror's reflectivity, and unless Mylar is set "behind" a clear plastic sheet, even it cannot provide the "Light Fusion" principal.

Consider this;

A dark hued coating over a mirror.
All light darker than the lightest shades is reflected back.
All intenesely lighter shades with enough photonic energy to penetrate the Top Coat reflect off the Mirror and rebound to enhance the lighter elements of the image "only".

Earlier Light Fusion examples suffered from only one performance caveat......less than desired Contrast due to the overall increase in equalized screen gain. When MMud-SE (Silver Edition) was introduced to Light Fusion, all that changed, Contrast was no longer left wanting..., and the surge toward true Ambient Light performance was instigated.

I myself was...and still am interested in "mirrorless" applications. I'm no fan of spending any more than is necessary to acheive exlemplary results. But the present fixation on having the absolute best possible Contrast AND sterling White levels requires a revisitation to the Light Fusion princibles.

In DIY there will always be "Good-Better-Best-....and OMG!"

A well done, sprayed Light Fusion using a correctly assembled CR Enhancing mix fits squarely into the latter category. S-I-L-V-E-R for a Dark room is stupendous....if you can spray. Silver Fire...and to a slightly lessor extent the simpler Black Widow can provide excellent Ambient Light performance, but both to at least some degree attenuate Whites while managing to provide the apprearence of enhanced Contrast.

Both SF & BW can strive to do more when combined with a Mirror to produce "Light Fusion". SF has already "Been There...Done That" That is a "given". What might Black Widow...or any neutral Gray for that matter.... acheive via Light Fusion? Indeed?

Are there any Brave Souls who would care to find out?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #2675 of 2679 Old 04-22-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Both SF & BW can strive to do more when combined with a Mirror to produce "Light Fusion". SF has already "Been There...Done That" That is a "given". What might Black Widow...or any neutral Gray for that matter.... acheive via Light Fusion? Indeed?

Are there any Brave Souls who would care to find out?

This thread goes a long way to answering those questions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=713810

A suggest reading by all inquiring minds.

Bud

post #2676 of 2679 Old 07-23-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

AVS history comes alive right here.
So, what's the latest on RS Mudd-Maxx?
post #2677 of 2679 Old 08-23-2008, 03:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Light Fusion Lives!

1/8" 4' x 8' Mirror Stock is now more readily available than it has been of recently, and is priced competitively against other quality substrates. ($89-$95.00) But it does things that no "non-mirrored" substrate can do.

That, and the rising popularity of the Wagner Control Spray makes the ability (...as in avail-ability & afford-ability...) to produce the excellent DIY Screen application slide within the reach of the Experienced DIY'er and the Nubee as well.

Light Fusion has something to offer any DIY Paint application, but especially those using Ambient Light applications such as Black widow and Silver Fire...as well as simple neutral Gray mixtures.

Interested? Just post here, or on your own specific Thread. Help and advice awaits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post

AVS history comes alive right here.
So, what's the latest on RS Mudd-Maxx?

That's RS-MaxxMudd. It's still Alive 'n Kicking as well, oh ye of the S-I-L-V-E-R persuasion.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2678 of 2679 Old 12-08-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought I'd bring this to the fore front for you. Needed dusting off anyway.
post #2679 of 2679 Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

A little taste of AVS History that dates all the way back to 2003.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page