Behr "Silverscreen" Paint - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1439 Old 04-18-2004, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just finished painting on a 2 x 4 hardboard...I painted half of it with silverscreen and the other has ME on it....The ME looks a lot darker next to the silverscreen....Will test it in a couple of hours.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1439 Old 04-18-2004, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you look hard enough you'll find , in the plywood section , MDF sheets at 3/4" thick by 49" x 97" . Really ! Cost was $32.95 CDN . The down side , you'll need a few friends to help you carry it home , the stuff is very heavy . The extended size allows for a little bit larger diagonal size for 16:9 screens and if you have a bad paint day you can always flip it over and use the other side

Scott...................................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #33 of 1439 Old 04-18-2004, 02:17 PM

Well, after viewing with X1, they both seem about the same....the ME is actually lighter than the silverscreen....I noticed that the silverscreen has some red in it....I took a picture, but I don't know if you will notice a difference....I guess I need to let the silverscreen dry some more....they both look good....
post #34 of 1439 Old 04-18-2004, 03:56 PM

Noel,

I have an X1 and just purchased a quart of silverscreen. I have been using a parkland screen with good results. In your opinion is the SS better than a flat white screen? I plan to try it when I get a chance but just interested in your opinion since you have been playing around with it and X1.

My wife keeps saying I never listen to her....or something like that
post #35 of 1439 Old 04-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

I saw the Silverscreen painted screen and the Light Fusion at the Canuck shootout but I'd say neither performed anywhere near as well as the Goo screens to my eyes.

I have a Dalite Video Spectra screen in my own theater as I need a retractable for my multi-purpose room. However if I was going to paint a screen I'd spring for the Goo.

I'm sure others have different opinions and I'm not trying to discourage people from giving the other paint treatments a whirl. You sure can't be the cost of the Behr Silverscreen!

Regards,
Glenn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 1439 Old 04-18-2004, 06:03 PM

Nelman,
It depends on if you want deeper blacks....After a few hours dry, the silverscreen looks darker to me that the ME...the ME has been on for a few weeks....Silverscreen seems to have a reddish tint to it....Maybe after it drys for a while it may lighten up, I know the ME was dark and now seems lighter....I will test it with KillBill tonight.....
post #37 of 1439 Old 04-19-2004, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Omzig
bcortez,

What did you use for the base to mix the Silverscreen color into? I'm assuming some sort of flat white base, but your particular base information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Omzig

The base paint used was plain Behr UPW. Had the HD guy mix the quart of UPW according to the Silverscreen number. It took a week or so until I had to time to actually use the paint, but a quick mix with a powerdrill attachment was all that was needed. I used a 9" foam roller with an extension handle. Layed the gatorfoam flat, and rolled away. Waited an hour, rolled a 2nd coat. waited a few hours then tried it out.

PS: Not bad for a software engineer by trade. I have screenshots coming. I was away for business for 3 days, and the wife wants equal time
I'll post the screenies this week, promise.

Owner of the Tavern Theater(R) Pub.
"Where homebrew is always on tap"
post #38 of 1439 Old 04-19-2004, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Refling
However if I was going to paint a screen I'd spring for the Goo.

Goo is several hundred dollars though, and if you mess up, that's an expensive mess up.
post #39 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Refling
However if I was going to paint a screen I'd spring for the Goo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally posted by gwlaw99
Goo is several hundred dollars though, and if you mess up, that's an expensive mess up.

Not only that, but those Goo screens had been curing for 1 year in Robert's shop. MMan's screens were FRESH and hadn't cured at all. Speaking from my experience with the LFS mirror, I know curing takes a week or two (maybe longer) and the picture can evolve noticeably as a result.

I'd be willing to bet that if the mirror screen (and maybe the Silverscreen screen) had been cured for a week (and the Red Oxide had been left out of the MMud) opinions might have been slightly different. But even so, it sounds like both screens held up pretty well in the Shootout.

Something profound

post #40 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how the SilverScreen would work on a first-surface acrylic mirror?
post #41 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the first of a few screenshots I took with my digital camera. It was in low-light, so they don't represent the image 100%, but your get the idea from them.

Camera: FujiFilm S602Z (on a tripod)

First up, that lovely Darla from "Findng Nemo"
LL

post #42 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

"Why trust a shark, right!"
LL

post #43 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

And what everyone seems to want, a little Satine.
LL

post #44 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

And one more of Satine, in the throes of death
LL

post #45 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by garyfritz

This is DIY. Stop wondering. Follow bcortez's lead and start doing. Thanks, I needed that.
post #46 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bcortez
Here is the first of a few screenshots I took with my digital camera. It was in low-light, so they don't represent the image 100%, but your get the idea from them.

Looking GOOD! But don't stop there. Impress us some more!
PS: Thanks for chosing images we are all familiar with.
post #47 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

My favorite "artistic" shot of Satine on the edge of death.
LL

post #48 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Nemo's first lesson...
LL

post #49 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Nemo's first impression of the dentist's tank...
LL

post #50 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

I'll try to take some screenies this week with the plain white gatorfoam and blackout cloth atop the screen. This should give a side-by-side-by-side comparison of the progression of the image quality (since I started with blackout cloth).

Stay tuned.

NOTE: If anyone else has tried this paint, by all means, show us your fruits too...

post #51 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 08:25 AM

Excellent screens bcortez. What PJ are you using?

As I've stated before, I was rather impressed by the Silverscreen at the Canuck Shootout that the Mississippi Man had whipped up. Unfortunatley I did not get to see it with a LCD unit, just DLP (the BQ 8700). I think an LCD pj would look great on that screen.
post #52 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

The start of this thread has all that info in my opening message. I also list my HTPC components that I used to build the unit.

post #53 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 225
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by garyfritz

Quote:

Originally posted by CMRA
This is DIY. Stop wondering. Follow bcortez's lead and start doing. Thanks, I needed that.

Hey !!!! Me first! I'm sitting here at home waiting for my 4' x 8' First surface to arrive by noon, SO BACK OFF !

SilverScreen is a easy out solution. All the properties it brings to the table are exceeded by a wide margine by Light Fusion with a MMud Top Coat, and LF offers up advantages that no solitary wall paint ever could.

Recent criticisums of "pink" whites when Red Oxide is used in the MMud mix by a very few folks who portend to know about such things seem to be the only Fly in the Ointment. (..but only for DLPs) But that bug is easily swatted by merely ommiting the RO.

But it might be very doable to squirt SS (...deserves that abbreviation more than the "You know who" screen IMO ) onto a regular clear Plexi and paint the other side with an even thinner, MMud Mix, just like CMRA's oriignal Super Deluxe. Easier application of the SS that SM, plus the added "Image smoothing", might just up the ante once again. And a trial on a Standard Plexi mirror just might come quickly behing, just so as to compare 'em side to side.

OH MY, bCotez, your offer has me drooling. You are wise beyond even your SS recomendation! But it just might call for a personal visit if I wander into your general area. (always possible...) Until then, you will soon receive my address for immediate shipment of a wagon load, complete with the Horses! (..I know, I know....wrong Brewery...)

But let me tell you all, I feel the risk of showing SS at the CSII was well worth it, and it's a glad thing to offer up with bcortez another viable alternative that can be steadfastly reccomended to the "Gotta have it now, and it's gotta be Cheap, and it's gotta be easy, and it's gotta be GREAT!" crowd.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #54 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bcortez
I'll try to take some screenies this week with the plain white gatorfoam and blackout cloth atop the screen. This should give a side-by-side-by-side comparison of the progression of the image quality (since I started with blackout cloth).

Stay tuned.

NOTE: If anyone else has tried this paint, by all means, show us your fruits too...

Betcha didn't know DIY could be this much fun. You learn alot along the way too, don't you?
post #55 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome. And I am suitably chastised. But I **can't** try it myself. I don't even have my projector yet, fercryinoutloud!! Cut me a break!
post #56 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by MississippiMan
quote:
SilverScreen is a easy out solution. All the properties it brings to the table are exceeded by a wide margine by Light Fusion with a MMud Top Coat, and LF offers up advantages that no solitary wall paint ever could.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. This simple paint was my way of bridging the gap until I can make my own LF screen this summer. I figured, it's $10.00, why not? I even bought a quart of Kilz as a primer, but didn't use it. I figured, I'd try it alone first, if it needed a primer, I could always prime with the Kilz on the back-side, then splurge for another quart of Behr Silverscreen later.

Quote:

But it might be very doable to squirt SS (...deserves that abbreviation more than the "You know who" screen IMO ) onto a regular clear Plexi and paint the other side with an even thinner, MMud Mix, just like CMRA's oriignal Super Deluxe. Easier application of the SS that SM, plus the added "Image smoothing", might just up the ante once again. And a trial on a Standard Plexi mirror just might come quickly behing, just so as to compare 'em side to side.

Like I said, I wanted a quick, easy, temporary solution until I can make my LF screen. And for those who try this, you may be satisfied with it and never need to "re-do" the effort. Hell, the 96"x48" gatorfoam board cost 3x the the paint and rollers, etc combined!

Quote:

OH MY, bCortez, your offer has me drooling. You are wise beyond even your SS recomendation! But it just might call for a personal visit if I wander into your general area. (always possible...) Until then, you will soon receive my address for immediate shipment of a wagon load, complete with the Horses! (..I know, I know....wrong Brewery...)

Well MM, I have a "Summer Honey Wheat" that'll be ready to bottle next week. Following 3 weeks of conditioning, it'll be ready to drink. Sorry I can't offer any of my "Golden Lager", I just drank the last of it last week at the technical convention I was away attending. It went over quite well, even those "clydesdale-ers" liked it I also have a "New England Oktoberfest" in the works using maple sap as the base. But that brew wouldn't be ready until October anyway.

Quote:

But let me tell you all, I feel the risk of showing SS at the CSII was well worth it, and it's a glad thing to offer up with bcortez another viable alternative that can be steadfastly reccomended to the "Gotta have it now, and it's gotta be Cheap, and it's gotta be easy, and it's gotta be GREAT!" crowd.

Thanks MM. Thanks for taking the time to put one together and show it off at the shootout (I wasn't expecting that at all, just offering my experiments up for peer review here). I certainly hope this puts the screenmaker "big guys" on the edge of their seats. They better look down from their towers and realize there's a revolution going on in their backyard...........now.

post #57 of 1439 Old 04-20-2004, 02:11 PM

This is probably a stupid question but what kind of paint is it? Flat, Simi-gloss, or gloss?
post #58 of 1439 Old 04-21-2004, 12:05 PM

I posted a message the other day about a cheap screen to use for a project we keep at our house (dell 2200mp), and I'm intrigued by what this thread has to offer!

So here's my question. My setup is purely temporary - set up/tear down. Currently, I borrow a screen during the week. Its on a tripod, and the screen rolls up and hooks to the top. its not that big, say 6ft high. I put the projector on a snack-tray (fold up table) and watch away.

I have a fairly large room, about 18ftx40ft. I can put a screen up to about 27ft from the projector. However, I don't have any walls I can use. Also - this room has 10ft ceilings.

So, could I piece together 2 (or more) pieces of some sort of "foam board", and simply hang it from hooks in the ceiling, and take it down when I'm done?

What type of board could I use (and paint with Behr Silverscreen), and what size should the screen be to get the most picture out of the projector?

Thanks!

-Frank
post #59 of 1439 Old 04-21-2004, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 225
better send a sample bottle. Over in europe, the wheat beer I tried was not to my taste at all. Imaging me leaving a almost full glass behind?

Incredible.

Guys, dispite all the glowing initial reports, Rob states the SS came in at the bottom of the pile. Strange results that don't reflect the first comments posted by several very knowledble individuals, or the plaudits it received in person at the show. Something doesn't add up. From what I saw, and what others

I thought it was stated that an independent company was taking the results and doing the tabulation, but it seems it was really all just done by Rob. A PDF with the results listed as verified by the accountant and on his own letterhead would go much farther in convincing me and now quite a few others that there isn't some skewing of the results going on to satisfy another's agenda.

Hey that's probably not the case anyway, but when posted results fly in the face of popular comments, it does bring of a question of validity.

Anyway, I'm going to shy away from posting on this thread much, as I might attract some sharks that are on a feeding frenzy at present. None of you deserve that on this thread, and if they do show up, give 'em a harpoon in the gills for me.

If any here don't already know, there are plenty of people out there who resent any application that either cost too little, or threatens their views on what is acceptable or not.

Ignore them all, splash that paint, and get lost in some escapisim

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

post #60 of 1439 Old 04-21-2004, 02:20 PM

This may be an obvious question, but what is the gain of this type of screen? I'm looking at a Sanyo Z2 with a Carada screen. Various things I've seen and heard incline me toward their 1.4 gain brilliant white screen vs. their .8 gain high contrast grey screen. This DIY project sounds very interesting. Just wondering which gain it is closer to, and I guess, if it could be modified.

BTW, the other DIY that sounds good is the Mississippi Mud screen (on a wall vs. a mirror) - any idea of its gain?

Thanks.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page