Behr "Silverscreen" Paint - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1439 Old 12-13-2005, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should I add the satan minwax to the SS along with the floetrol? That seems like a lot of stuff.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1439 Old 12-13-2005, 10:55 AM

bidzer, the minwax ( satin finish!! ...excuse my typing error ) is confusing the issue. Getting back to your original plan just go with the silverscreen and it sounds like getting some of the floetrol on the side would be beneficial but isn't necessary. Sorry for the side track.
post #723 of 1439 Old 12-13-2005, 02:36 PM

No problem, I just picked up the SS paint (Flat) along with a QT. of floetrol. I had a difficult time finding an 1/8 in foam roller. I think I'm going to try the Sherwin Williams store down the street. If I can't, what do you recommend? I want to paint the screen this week.

Thanks Again
post #724 of 1439 Old 12-13-2005, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

bidzer, you need a 1/4" or 3/8" nap roller and not foam. Roll up and down, not left and right, and keep your roller about half loaded. You'll get done faster with a 3/8" nap roller, but I would use a 1/4" nap roller. It should turn out okay either way. The Floetrol will help and don't use a fan to speed up drying.
post #725 of 1439 Old 12-13-2005, 05:43 PM

1Time,

I was @ Home Dept earlier today and saw a few 1/4" rollers. I also saw some white dove ones as well. It was a 3-pack. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks a bunch
post #726 of 1439 Old 12-13-2005, 06:12 PM

Unlike manufactured screens the most expensive is the best.
post #727 of 1439 Old 12-13-2005, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

You only need one and $4 should get you a good one. The packaging might say smooth or semi-smooth on it and also something like shed-resistant so the roller doesn't shed it's fibers into the paint. A 3/8" nap probably would be easier for you to work with.
post #728 of 1439 Old 12-13-2005, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Like a lot of things you get what you pay for

Since you could conceivably be saving multiple thousands on your screen I would buy a nice pure lambs wool roller, it really makes a nice smooth job and leaves no lint like the synthetic fibre (lint free ) ones do .

Do not use a new roller every coat. If a roller is going to shed it will do it the first or second time it is used , by the time you are on the last coats and the roller is washed properly it will put on a smoother finish than the first coat .

Bruce
post #729 of 1439 Old 12-14-2005, 07:25 AM

first time posting in this forum. Stumbled across this thread when I googled looking for screen paint. I was seconds away from placing an order for Screen Goo but wanted to see what else was out there. $10 for a quart of Behr paint and a few hours later and I am extremely pleased with the results. Most noticeable is the correction to color. At this point I'll use the $200 I just saved for some other upgrades to the system where I think they'll be a better ROI.
post #730 of 1439 Old 12-15-2005, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRGut View Post

I was seconds away from placing an order for Screen Goo but wanted to see what else was out there. $10 for a quart of Behr paint and a few hours later and I am extremely pleased with the results.

Thanks for trying it out. I'm glad you're happy with the results. Please, for everyone's benefit, let us all know your Projector make/model, screen size, and video source (DVD, HD-DVD, HTPC, etc...). I'm sure over time, you'll want to try some of the other great stuff discovered here on AVS. But, isn't it satisfying knowing no matter what you try above and beyond this, at least you have something to fall back upon that you like. Even if you have to make a new screen, what's the harm, $10.00 and a few more hours of your time?

Welcome to the world of DIY! Where (IMHO) the "D" is the first and most important step to take.

Owner of the Tavern Theater(R) Pub.
"Where homebrew is always on tap"
post #731 of 1439 Old 12-22-2005, 05:42 PM

I've had my AE900 for just a week now and am amazed at how good it looks. I have a totally light controlled room and am currently projecting onto a white wall which just has a coat of drywall sealer on it. I made sure the drywallers finished the screen wall as smoothly as possible. The rest of my walls are dark brown.
I was going to buy a screen, but I'm so impressed by what I'm seeing now, its got me thinking that maybe paint would be a reasonable (and definitely cheaper!) alternative. Given the parameters listed above, would the Behr SS be an appropriate paint? BTW, I'm projecting around 100", ceiling mounted about 14' from the screen. I do like the idea that I wouldn't be as restricted regarding viewing size using paint versus a more formal screen with a limited size. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
post #732 of 1439 Old 12-22-2005, 08:52 PM

I just finished painting my screen minutes ago. I think the Behr silver screen is way too dark. I compared it against pearlesence, UPW, and various mixes. I have not gone as far as some of the extreme do it your selfers. I was very happy with the wall painted with UPW, but began to notice the "wash effect". This was the colors not being deep enough and the blacks were dark grey. I added 5% behr Silver faux to 2 quarts of UPW flat and I could not be happier. Alot of people knock this paint beacause it has alot of lamp black. I just added a little though. My advice would be to read the DIY screen section and start with some test mixes on particle board, primed first then coated twice. Some lucky folks out there are 100% pleased with upw flat alone, some arent. Hope this helps.
post #733 of 1439 Old 12-23-2005, 09:42 AM

I found the same thing - I messed up a coat of CG and wanted to paint over it so I could use the screen area and used SilverScreen. While it is usable, the quality of picture is not nearly as good as plain white. Interesting concept but it seems like it has more drawbacks than advantages.
post #734 of 1439 Old 01-03-2006, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Staff View Post

I just finished painting my screen minutes ago. I think the Behr silver screen is way too dark.

How can you make a statement like that when the paint hasn't even dried, let alone cured yet? It sounds a bit premature to me.

Quote:

I compared it against pearlesence, UPW, and various mixes.

Have each of he ones you compared against driedcured yet? If so, then to be fair, you should also do the same for the SS mix too, right?

Quote:

I have not gone as far as some of the extreme do it your selfers. I was very happy with the wall painted with UPW, but began to notice the "wash effect". This was the colors not being deep enough and the blacks were dark grey. I added 5% behr Silver faux to 2 quarts of UPW flat and I could not be happier. Alot of people knock this paint beacause it has alot of lamp black. I just added a little though. My advice would be to read the DIY screen section and start with some test mixes on particle board, primed first then coated twice. Some lucky folks out there are 100% pleased with upw flat alone, some arent. Hope this helps.

Please also specify your projector, throw distance, screen-size, and ambient light situation too. All these have an affect on your results too. Just looking for a fair and balanced assessment, and not premature statements taken out of context with no relevant comparisons to reproduce the effects.

Thanks.

Owner of the Tavern Theater(R) Pub.
"Where homebrew is always on tap"
post #735 of 1439 Old 01-03-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Sic 'em, Suds Guy!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #736 of 1439 Old 01-03-2006, 09:48 AM

I made a 107" screen with 1/2" MDF painted with Behr SS, a 3" beveled border wrapped in black velvet and hung on the wall with aluminum hangers. Looks professional even when there is no image! I copied the 3" border from Stewart, looks identical. I'm a builder and custom furniture maker so I had all the professional tools to make it.

I'll post pictures in my personal area of the construction and final product in the next few days.

A word on Behr SS paint: If you're using it right out of the can, it needs to be diluted with water to thin it. I painted the MDF when it was flat, not hung on the wall and by sanding between the two coats with the thinned SS and 3/8" roller, it looks like a sprayed finish, very smooth! I used no drying retarder either.

The cost with everything was about $100.
post #737 of 1439 Old 01-05-2006, 01:39 AM

I came across this thread when looking for an alternative to the 200$ goo. I have a 1500$ budget for this projector project. I ordered a Sanyo Z2 for a grand, I should have it in a few days. My plan is to paint a patch of wall, 100 diagonal. Projected wall is 16 feet from the back wall, with space for wires, my throw distance should be about 15 feet, after mounting, the throw distance charts show this is about perfect, I can move it closer if I need. Originaly, I was going to try to use one of the 97 by 49 pieces from home depot, and frame it with nice fancy wood trim (20$ for an 8 foot piece at home depot) but then I figured if I just painted the wall, I would not have to worry about hanging that heavy piece of wood. I am worried that the subtle imperfections in the wall will show, even if I try to spackle and put on a few extra base coats and sand, but I think it is worth a try. I will be using a ypbpr splitter, to connect a DVD/PS2/Xbox360 and our HDDVR unit to the projector. The DVR box does have an HDMI output, but honestly, I do not think the projector does, I could be wrong. With the rest of my budget, I am getting a DVD player, the pos one I have now does not have a spdif output(I need to put all the audio to my computer) ill also need a 35 foot spdif cable(60$) and a 3 way audio spdif switch box so I get 5.1 on all the different inputs. Anyway, I have been drinking and I am trailing off. I put a few pics I took of the area I am going to place the projector, and posted them at this link.

notmyrealdomain.[removethis]com/projector

Sanyo PLV-Z2 45$ ebay mount kit.
OPPO OPDV971H
SA 8300HD
PS2, Xbox - 360 very soon
Klipsch 5.1
SB Audigy2 ZS/fx 6800
AMD 3400+ 2x 36gig WD Raptor 10k raid 0
Adaptec 1961900
4x WD2500SD
post #738 of 1439 Old 01-05-2006, 05:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Notreal,

Please give me a shout from "yourrealemail", willya?

You have several things that should be discussed and considered, but most do not have a bearing on this thread's content. I design complete Home Theaters, and will be glad to offer you some specific "free" advice as to how to best utilize your wall as a screen surface considering the light output of your Z2.

The Z2 has DVI In & Component In, so you want to avoid using any gear with HDMI output. Otherwise, you'll need adapters or Changeup cords (HDMI to DVI) and those critters will up your budget. Not only that, but often, the Z2 will not show up as being HDCP compiliant to the DVD if such has a HDMI output. It is, but the crosstalk between the two pieces can get jumbled sometimes and then.....no image.

I hope you got a decent ceiling Mount. That's a real important part of it all, as are the cable you buy. I can steer you toward some Wholesalers of excellent cords, but such cannot/should not be done on-Forum.

If you haven't bought a DVD as of yet, get an Oppo DVD. ( http:www.oppodigital.com ) It is the finest DVD player under $200.00 in the world, BAR NONE! It has DVI out, outputs simultaniously via the Component outputs, is rated tops in the whole wide world against $3000 DVD players in recent tests, and is upgradable via free DVD Firmware update sent by the Mfg direct to you. Don't pass on it, for it alone will make your project worth it's effort when combined with the Z2.

Silverscreen is an applicable choice, and many find it quite acceptable. You do need to consider your options carefully however. Using a wall, with the right paint scheme, you can easily shoot a 54" x 96" image (110" diagonal) up there and get the very most out of your Z2, DVDs, Games, and HD-TV I've done 122"ers with the Folks sitting only 10' away and have had nothing but great response.

THATS Imax-style viewing, and still completely within your budget. Done rightly, the Z2 can handle the above like you wouldn't belive.

Welcome to the DIY Forum, and our Mad Little Company.

MMan

To quote James T. Kirk;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #739 of 1439 Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the reply mississippi. I took your advice and ordered a OPPO OPDV971H - It's about 50$ more then the LG unit I was ganan buy, but I like the array of media that works with the unit you suggested. Sometime early next week, I should get all the equipment and can get started on the screen. I will let you all know how it goes and post some screenies.

-thks again

notmyrealemail

Sanyo PLV-Z2 45$ ebay mount kit.
OPPO OPDV971H
SA 8300HD
PS2, Xbox - 360 very soon
Klipsch 5.1
SB Audigy2 ZS/fx 6800
AMD 3400+ 2x 36gig WD Raptor 10k raid 0
Adaptec 1961900
4x WD2500SD
post #740 of 1439 Old 01-10-2006, 12:45 PM

I have plain polywall on 1/4 inch plywood and want to paint it SS. Will polywall warp too? If so, since it's already on plywood, will it still affect it if I paint it?

Thanks,
post #741 of 1439 Old 01-10-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz2 View Post

I have plain polywall on 1/4 inch plywood and want to paint it SS. Will polywall warp too? If so, since it's already on plywood, will it still affect it if I paint it?

Thanks,

A few well placed peices of 3/4" x 2" x ?" "POPLAR" not Pine" wood placed around the rear side edges and diagonally across the center expanse, all supported by lightweight corner braces should work to keep you straight. Since your substrate is wood, applying them with Glue/Screw method will assure you of a strong framework. Even without such a robust support system for such a light weight screen, the amount of paint you'll need to apply to the Poly will not have enough of a "pulling" effect when it drys to pull the Plywood board out of shape.

I like the idea of your using a 1' x 6" wide wood ring, with 1/2 of it behind the Plwood for the needed support, and the overhang around the edges there to accept a 2- 1/2' wide Black velvet Trim ring made of wrapped 1' x 3" Poplar.

The resulting edge would be 3" thick, allow for a range of easy mounting options,
(French Cleat....., Eye Hooks....., angled nails....? )

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #742 of 1439 Old 01-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Thanks MississippiMan.

Another question. I have the Infocus 4805, and I read in another thead that I should go with a lighter vertion of the silverscreen. Something on the line of 1/3 less or more of something. I can't remember the exact instructions.

Any idea of the formula for this paint when I go to Home Depot?

Thanks
post #743 of 1439 Old 01-10-2006, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Laz2,

yes, the infamous 4805, actually we've seen quite a bit of successes with the 4805's lately.

but honestly, i think you'd better off using big lyle's 5 part mix or rs-maxxmudd...

but yes, a 3:1 ratio of silverscreen to upw should give you a more viewable screen in my opinion. when i comes to black levels, it think ss gets too dark to quick for my tastes. with a 3:1 ratio... yes you will lose some truer blacks but what you gain back in detail will likely be of more valuable.

-just my 2 cents worth
post #744 of 1439 Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the help. I don't know anything about paints. This is what I know:

Behr "Silverscreen" (770E-2) mix using Ultra Pure White (UPW) flat latex

Ok, if I go with a 3:1 ratio, how would I go about getting this paint from Home Depot? What do I tell the paint guy?

Also (this has probably been discussed already), but I'm currently projecting to the polywall, and I think it looks awsome, but then, I'm no expert. Will I see a noticeable improvement going with the light siverscreen paint?

Thanks!!!

Laz
post #745 of 1439 Old 01-10-2006, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

daytime/ambient viewing = yes.
better black levels = yes.
loss of detail = possibly.
muted whites = likely.
darker color shift = definitely.

noticeable improvement? my opinion is no. unless, better black levels and slightly better ambient viewing are the most important factors for you.

it's really a matter of preference.
post #746 of 1439 Old 01-11-2006, 07:30 AM

I don't mean to start anything here, but now I'm confused.

Is Silverscreen a good match for my Infocus 4805 (I'm actually looking at a lighter version)? I really want something very simple to paint my polywal.

Would it be better just to go with Behr UPW?

Any help will be appreciated!!

Laz
post #747 of 1439 Old 01-11-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

basically it's a catch22...

the upw and parkland will like yield near identical performance... so no... i wouldn't do that in my opinion.

which leaves you with ss vs. your current parkland.

what you have to decide is what's most important to you.

is better controlled viewing performance and truer color rendition more important?
than stick with your parkland.

is better black levels, some ambient light performance, and if you don't have an issue with the slight color shift... more important? then go with 3:1 silverscreen mix.
post #748 of 1439 Old 01-11-2006, 09:56 AM

I just finished painting my polywall with 2 coats of SS last night for use with my 4805. Also used some Floetrol which helped tremendously. The fiish is very smooth and the grey doesn't seem too dark. I think I'm staying with the 2 coats and nothing further. If I don't like the results, I might add another coat using some UPW mixed in. Should I use flat UPW or gloss?

Thanks
post #749 of 1439 Old 01-11-2006, 11:07 AM

Ok..I think I've decided to go with a ligther version of the silver screen.

Here what I have:
Infocus 4805
16 ft throw (is the silverscreen too dark for this big of throw?)
110x60 screen Polywal
Control lighting.

I have the code (770E-2), but how do I tell the Home Depot guy to mix a 3:1 ratio of silverscreen paint (to make it ligher)? What does this mean exactly?

Thanks!!
post #750 of 1439 Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

you will likely have to purchase a quart of behr upw and an empty quart paint can. you will also have to purchase a full quart of behr ss.

then ask the paint people very nicely (most folks have to beg and plead) to pour a 1/3 of the behr ss into the empty quart can. then have them add 1/3 of the upw to the behr ss can... and have them run it through their mixer.

or you can take it home and mix it yourself.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page