Behr "Silverscreen" Paint - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 1439 Old 01-31-2006, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright I'll try it again with the other side of the cloth. While I am at JoAnn's to get more cloth I'll take a look at some other stuff that is maybe not as absorbant. Something with sort of a "plasticy" feeling such a vinyl etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1439 Old 02-12-2006, 12:08 PM

Well I started mixing different formulas with the SS, and here's what I ended up with.

20 oz. of UPW
8 oz. of SS
4 oz. of White Pearl medium from Michael's
2 Oz. of Silver Metallic from Michael's

As stated in my previous post, the SS was too dingy for my setup. However, there were some benefits of the SS that I could see. So I was sure the SS would end up in my mix somewhere. The red (one droplet) that is in SS helped my LCD PJ, as they tend to need a little boost in the red spectrum.
What I ended up with in the end is a very light gray color with a little shimmer from the pearl. I am still not sure what role the Silver metallic played in the formula other than adding a little more gray color to the mix. I am extremely happy with the final product and wish to thank all for their post and input. I do believe SS has a permanent place in the DIY screen section. Please keep in mind this is what DIY is all about - experimentation with what works best for you. Take care and happy Projectoring!
post #783 of 1439 Old 02-13-2006, 07:15 PM

After many weeks of reading this section, and changing my mind on what to do over and over again I finally just decided to go with with a 102" SS painted screen directly on to drywall. I'm so glad I did..looks excellent IMO and was very easy.

I guess the tables turned when I used my new Z4 against my lite-brown wall to test it when I first got it. It looked fine to me! (Granted I have a red-green deficiency in my sight). I thought to myself "why go through the pain when there is a solution that is SO easy". I used a 6mm foam roller and have no roller marks. 2" pine wrapped in black velvet (thanks for recommendation MM) for the faux frame. I could not be happier, just in time for the olympics--of course I get called away for a week for work .

SS is great for my set up, I like to watch alot of hockey so the what some people call dark probably saves my eyeballs from the glare of the ice.

Down the road i will probably try some other mixtures, but for now "ignorance is bliss" as they say.

Thought I would throw in a couple of pics
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...nkgeo/nemo.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...inProgress.jpg
post #784 of 1439 Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Nice deep coloration. I bet the image on screen almost looks like it has texture, so deep is the contrast.

A suggestion that still keeps it "SS" oriented and still simple as well.

Take 1 quart of MinWax "Waterbased" Polyurethane -Satin- plus 6.5 Oz. SS, mix well, and apply it over that last coat with the same type roller.

SilverScreen with "POP".

BCortez...., I'll take a 6 of Pilsner.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #785 of 1439 Old 02-16-2006, 06:31 AM

So you are saying 1 coat of SS for a base then 1 coat of Minwaw/SS as a top coat? What is the POP? Brighter colors? I guess I'm just asking what does the Minwax do? Thank you.
post #786 of 1439 Old 02-16-2006, 08:54 AM

Hey guys I have been reading a lot about DIY screens, I just got rid of my Infocus 4805 for a Sanyo Z4... I am projecting 110" image onto a white wall that is only primed right now and the image looks great. I was wondering what kind of luck people were having with Behr SS on a Sanyo Z4, and if there are any better options out there.
post #787 of 1439 Old 02-16-2006, 02:43 PM

I'm interested also if Behr SilverScreen would be useable with the 4805 in a dark room, and which surface to use. I picked up some 4x8 white wallboard at HD, I guess SilverScreen is out of vogue nowadays?
post #788 of 1439 Old 02-17-2006, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKen View Post

...I guess SilverScreen is out of vogue nowadays?

Says who? Just because it's not "new", doesn't diminish it's abilities and/or low cost, does it? I'm STILL using my original SS screen, and quite happliy I might add. Also, if you actually read the posts there are many that also are still enjoying their screen, and have not found anything worth the time and extra $$ that could provide enough incremental improvement. Especially the few that painted their entire wall with this, to get both WAF and a ready-made screen surface when needed.

Owner of the Tavern Theater(R) Pub.
"Where homebrew is always on tap"
post #789 of 1439 Old 02-17-2006, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Gee, I just took all of 5 seconds to do a search in this thread for "4805". I found only 2 pages of responses, once of which has actual screenshots from a 4805 on a 100" Behr SS screen. Heres the links to the post (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...05#post6356194)

The thread search tool is VERY useful folks. It takes a heck of a lot longer than this to get the answer to a question that has already been answered over and over.

post #790 of 1439 Old 02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=bcortez]Says who? Just because it's not "new", doesn't diminish it's abilities and/or low cost, does it?
QUOTE]

The nerve of some people, eh BCortez? Forgive them, for they know not what they say.....

If ChrisKen gives it a go, and adjusts the formula (...or more correctly makes the "one Can" mix lighter....) he'll come to the conclusion that it is a great paint solution that comes cheaply, AND adjustable

Disclaimer;
MMan here, writing from CMRA's PC. Hold him not responsible for any content so ventured. I'm not re-logging on as myself to avoid dumping his "cookies".
post #791 of 1439 Old 02-17-2006, 07:13 PM

Just used SS on a poly fabric screen for my XR10X PJ.
Very happy with results, posted some pics with one coat in action.

White walled apartment, made a big diference, things "pop" a good bit more, removed a lot of washing out.
post #792 of 1439 Old 02-21-2006, 10:30 AM

Saw the MM suggestion of the Minwax mod. What about SS on a piece of Parkland? Would the Minwax still be needed, or would the gloss of the Parkland under the SS topcoat be enough to make the color POP?
post #793 of 1439 Old 02-21-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcortez View Post

Says who? Just because it's not "new", doesn't diminish it's abilities and/or low cost, does it? I'm STILL using my original SS screen, and quite happliy I might add. Also, if you actually read the posts there are many that also are still enjoying their screen, and have not found anything worth the time and extra $$ that could provide enough incremental improvement. Especially the few that painted their entire wall with this, to get both WAF and a ready-made screen surface when needed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you by asking a question. I wasn't aware of the Thread Search feature, I had skipped over it and used the Advanced Search feature. Thanks for pointing that out in a polite way.

What I meant to say originally , I've seen several threads on the 4805 and DIY screens, some recommend White, others not. I've found that I need to search each threads for the latest post as forumla's and suggestions change day to day or week to week. I'm used to finding one source for information (like a tip revision), no biggie, I can experiment on my own and post screenies.

I picked up a quart of Behr SilverScreen and will try three coats of it on the HD thifty board and report back, hopefully I'll have a comparison photo against a different fomula or two.
post #794 of 1439 Old 02-22-2006, 01:24 AM

I have recently purchased a Panasonic AE900, and must say I am very happy.
I just jumped all over this "SilverScreen" thread and have painted a 1/4" sheet of hardboard with 2 coats of UPW flat, and then 2 coats of the Silverscreen.
I am very pleased with the results.
Initially I was just projecting onto the UPW, but thought the image was a bit
washed. After reading this thread, I tried the SS, and am impressed with the
improved contrast, and also deeper colors.
Thanks to all.

I will attempt to attach a screenie:

-Juventino.
post #795 of 1439 Old 02-22-2006, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you by asking a question. I wasn't aware of the Thread Search feature, I had skipped over it and used the Advanced Search feature. Thanks for pointing that out in a polite way.

It is me that should apologize. I was habing a bad day, and took it out on you without cause. It's just we get the same questions over and over when a 5 second search using the features provided by this software can answer these4 type of questions quite easily.

Quote:

What I meant to say originally , I've seen several threads on the 4805 and DIY screens, some recommend White, others not. I've found that I need to search each threads for the latest post as forumla's and suggestions change day to day or week to week. I'm used to finding one source for information (like a tip revision), no biggie, I can experiment on my own and post screenies.

I picked up a quart of Behr SilverScreen and will try three coats of it on the HD thifty board and report back, hopefully I'll have a comparison photo against a different fomula or two.

Good for you! I mean that. DIY all starts with "Do".

post #796 of 1439 Old 03-06-2006, 03:21 PM

Hey, who turned out the lights? It was just getting good.

Like most people in this forum (and specifically this thread) I was looking for an easy, 3-4 hour, $50 or less option to a DIY screen. Projecting onto a white wall worked for me mostly because I couldn't be bothered, but I've since flipped my living room around and the projector faces a brick wall (fantastic for colours, BTW, exemplifying why red works so well in paints...of course the ridiculously uneven texture, pink whites and crazy grey stripes running through the image made it unwatchable)

Anyway, it's now 3 weeks later and after no less than 4 trips to HD and 4 quarts of SS (and other ingredients), I can say I'm happy with what I've done.

Step #1: Paint. Started with a 4x8' piece of 1/8" painted hardboard. I knew it was too glossy, but threw it up on the wall anyway (drilled holes in the corners and hung it on screws in the wall). Hot spot city. Took it down and painted 1/3 of the board UPW, 1/3 with a 1:3 ratio UPW:SS, 1/3 SS. Let it dry a couple hours and put it back on the wall.

Step #2: Compare. The UPW was too washed out for my tastes. The whites were whiter, but so was everything else. I was impressed with the SS but not as impressed as I thought I'd be. DEFINITE improvement on contrast and reds/blues/yellows were brighter than I'd ever seen from my PJ, but like most people who had "issues" with it, skin tones weren't skin tone and blacks seemed to be "dusty" (like there was a layer of dust on the screen that made me want to go at it with a damp cloth). For whatever reason (must be personal taste) the 1:3 mixture seemed to take the worst of both worlds; too washy AND too dusty with no real improvement in contrast.

Step #3: Decide and Repaint. I did see the benefit from SS and thought I could live with with the deficiencies (also noticed different channels had different qualities. Something like a sports desk show it looked like the anchors had no colour, swtiched to a movie channel or "major" network and there was an improvement (ABC seemed to be the best)). I also had the rest of the quart to use so figure "what the heck" and put on 2 more coats, waiting 4 hours or more between coats.

Step #4: ???. Realized my painting skills are atrocious. It's not that I've never painted before, it's just that I've never painted anything I'm going to be blasting with light and staring at for hours. I was too excited about getting the thing done, and just did a rush job. Roller marks and uneven application REALLY stood out on the projected image.

Step #5: Start Over. Rather than sanding for 4 hours, I peeled the paint off the hardboard (thank God for latex) in 45 minutes. Got another quart from HD and picked up some WOP since I was there and starting over anyway. Tried a 2:1 SS:WOP mix and checked out the image. Noticed a slight pick up in whites and contrast, but not a lot. It wasn't hurting the image at all and since I'd already mixed, added another couple of coats.

Step #6: ??? (again). Roller marks and spots all over the place (again). I think I even quietly whimpered to myself. Pulled myself together and remember back to my house-painting days and read MM's awesome instructions.

Step #7: Wet Sand. At the very least I thought what I had on there would make a good base, so I wet sanded it until it was smoother than...something really smooth.

Step #8: Start Over (not really). Hey, going back to HD again? Yup. This time (since I was starting over sortof) decided WOP didn't REALLY do anything so picked up some SM and MinWax poly uerethane satin (they were out of acryllic) as well. Mixed 'em up (the mix is coming, I'm telling a story here) and dry-rolled on coat 1, wet sanded, dry-rolled on coat 2. Threw it on the wall and couldn't stop watching last night (and it had only dried for maybe 2 hours). This makes me happy.

Step #9: Share. A word from the Not-So Wise: if it's been awhile since you painted something, practice, it's probably not as easy as you remember. And ask yourself if you've ever sat facing a wall you've painted and shone intense light on it. And don't be dumb like me and rush into it. You're trying to save yourseld time and money, remember.
My measuring system isn't the most accurate (4 oz. Sharpie marks on a big mason jar) but I ended up with something like this:

8 parts SS
2 parts SM
4 parts MinWax
3-4 parts water (thinned each coat a little more)

Anyway, if you're going to all that trouble, you're probably better off going with one of the other mixes in the DIY. I'm not a chemist or a painter and not even that smart. I wanted to use SS because I saw some good things and thought the pros outweighed the cons. I've still got a couple of rough patches on the screen so I think I might wet sand one last time and dump the rest of the MinWax into what I've got (should make it about 4:3 parts SS:MinWax or maybe even equal amounts, I've lost track), add one more coat before putting the frame on and hanging it for good.

This more of a What Not To Do for the FNG's thinking of just jumping into it. Mainly: DON'Trush and DON'T make my classic mistake of thinking "If it doesn't work, I'll start over." The time, energy, frustration and $$$ really add up. I guess I could've just said that instead of all that other stuff above, but that would have been less fun. It's kinda like what Yoda said: Do or do not. There is no try.

That said, I'm happy with my screen and by the sounds of things will probably be happier still in a couple of weeks after everything cures. Which probably means in a couple months or so I'll be trying something else...something that rhymes with "StississippiStud"

Good luck.
post #797 of 1439 Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM

juventino that is a nice looking screenshot - seems your application of paint and your panny make a nice combo - happy viewing!
post #798 of 1439 Old 03-09-2006, 10:03 AM

Thanks for finding this paint!

I painted my screen on the wall about a week ago with 75% SS (satin) and 25% WOP for the first two coats. Followed up with a final coat of 70% SS (satin) and 30% WOP. This combo created a high gain screen that almost glows!!!

Thanks again!
post #799 of 1439 Old 03-09-2006, 07:11 PM

I haven't posted in awhile but first let me say this..BCORTEZ you da man. I still have my bo cloth with 3 coats ss and now , finally with a dvi input instead of component(which does and did make a big difference btw)

Quote:

Take 1 quart of MinWax "Waterbased" Polyurethane -Satin- plus 6.5 Oz. SS, mix well, and apply it over that last coat with the same type roller.

Should I do this now??? Am I ever satsified??? NO. Is this the latest trick to the formula of straight ss? I was considering the "black flame"?

I have an NEC HT 1000 with the next gen bulb. 3000:1 contrast ratio , light cannon!! ho ho ho... total light control(except I have backlit posters and 3 sconces.) PJ is 15 feet from 110" screen. (see pics in my sig) btw after I post this I am gonna fire it up and get some new screenies for ya. The 2 I have in there now from MONSTERS INC are component input.

ok 3 new shots...penguin theme
post #800 of 1439 Old 03-10-2006, 02:11 AM

If people are adding MinWax "Waterbased" Polyurethane -Satin- to the mix. Is one not just changing flat finish paint into a satin finish? Why not just start with SS Satin in the first place?
post #801 of 1439 Old 03-10-2006, 05:28 AM

Minwax satin and latex paint satin are different finishes ( there's no minwax eggshell ) and there is the extra flattening that comes with adding the silverscreen. The extra transparency that minwax gave would make the WOP you used more efficient and add to the image depth. T_Minton's ( having no WOP ) should still benefit some from the depth and a little more pop with the glossier finish. Might prove alright. Could throw in a jar of delta silver metallic and pearlescent and call it silverscreen_maxx.
post #802 of 1439 Old 03-10-2006, 09:07 AM

ok fellas I took aleap of faith and have 1 coat of minwax/ss drying as I type...It definately looks abit "brighter" when shing a light on it..Of course it isn't dry yet so I will get back to ya...keep in mind I have been a SILVERSCREEN guy from the getgo..So I think I can give ya'll a good idea of what it does for me anyway.
post #803 of 1439 Old 03-10-2006, 07:43 PM

OK fellas!!! I can only tell you I am even more amazed!!! minwax and SS looks fan freaking tastic...to me of course... 3 star wars pics are up click link in my sig...they are pretty close to waht I see in person if not right on..it's awesome..
[IMG]DARTH1 [/IMG]
LL
post #804 of 1439 Old 03-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender611 View Post

Minwax satin and latex paint satin are different finishes ( there's no minwax eggshell ) and there is the extra flattening that comes with adding the silverscreen. The extra transparency that minwax gave would make the WOP you used more efficient and add to the image depth. T_Minton's ( having no WOP ) should still benefit some from the depth and a little more pop with the glossier finish. Might prove alright. Could throw in a jar of delta silver metallic and pearlescent and call it silverscreen_maxx.

Thanks ender,

I went with satin SS since I'm using a lower lumens PJ, and was hoping for just a bit more gain than flat would have given. Figures now that I'm done with the screen, there would be a better mix to have used.

Oh well; I'm happy with my screen, as it looks good to me. I did get the gain I was looking for, and the colors look great as well. I guess there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks for the info...

Mavrick
post #805 of 1439 Old 03-13-2006, 06:31 PM

Just finished my SS screen! Just put one coat of SS on a piece of 1/8" white hardboard!
Bordered with 1 1/2" black flannel wrapped trim! ( 80" diagonal 16:9 ) Not as fancy as the other recipes I see here, but I owe this forum my gratitude, or I wouldn't have been able to do it! Anyways, it looks great to me. Thanks everyone. There's some good reading here!
By the way, I'm projecting with an Epson Home20. (LCD)
post #806 of 1439 Old 03-13-2006, 08:20 PM

way to go Tom.. got any pics?? need aplace to host em check my link below..sony lets ya get prints right to cvs if ya want.. really cool..
post #807 of 1439 Old 03-14-2006, 07:48 PM

Seems I have to make 5 post before I can post a link! hhmmm!
post #808 of 1439 Old 03-14-2006, 07:50 PM

Well 3 more and you'll see my first home brew screen! LOL
post #809 of 1439 Old 03-14-2006, 07:51 PM

The count down is on!