Behr "Silverscreen" Paint - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1439 Old 03-14-2006, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let's give this a try. Hopefully the link below will take you to my pics!

Toms Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1439 Old 03-14-2006, 08:00 PM

I'll take a few more brighter ones for next time!
post #813 of 1439 Old 03-16-2006, 12:49 PM

What Kind Of Pj Do Ya Have And What Camera?? Thos Pics A Little On The Dark Side???
post #814 of 1439 Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 213
The........,

Dark Side

.................Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

"Lighten up" on the Guy, will ya?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #815 of 1439 Old 03-17-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_MINTON View Post

What Kind Of Pj Do Ya Have And What Camera?? Thos Pics A Little On The Dark Side???

I have a Kodak 5.0 MP, and my projector is an Epson Home20. (my first PJ)
The Corpses Bride is a dark movie!
I'll post those lighter images soon.
post #816 of 1439 Old 03-18-2006, 11:59 AM

Sorry Tom I wasn't trying to sound cruel.. heck I can't even figure the best settings on my camera yet..lol Yeah I know Corpse Bride is a dark film...

Mississippi you are TOOOO FUNNY When ya coming back to INDY???
post #817 of 1439 Old 03-20-2006, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_MINTON View Post

Sorry Tom I wasn't trying to sound cruel.. heck I can't even figure the best settings on my camera yet..lol Yeah I know Corpse Bride is a dark film...

Mississippi you are TOOOO FUNNY When ya coming back to INDY???

With all due respect folks, and for the benefit of all readers, please take personal conversations off line (that's why they have PMs available). I just want to keep this thread topical, and reduce the amount of extraneouos postings for those coming after us. I'm sure they would rather read relevant posts than personal conversations anyways.

Thanks for understanding.

BTW: Silverscreen (stock # 0001) is still going strong. This weekend I completely redesigned and remounted the screen to allow it to fold-up to the ceiling for storage. However, in the process, I inadvertently got a dirt smudge on the lower left corner. I was thinking of getting a temp spray "bottle" to fill with SS, to "touch-up" those areas. They consist of an empty bottle and CO2 canister. You fill the bottle with your desired paint, and then you can spot spray with it.

Anyone use one of these things (I found them at the local hardware store). I can't see renting a full HPLV sprayer for a spot touch-up.

Owner of the Tavern Theater(R) Pub.
"Where homebrew is always on tap"
post #818 of 1439 Old 03-20-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

"I was thinking of getting a temp spray "bottle" to fill with SS, to "touch-up" those areas. They consist of an empty bottle and CO2 canister. You fill the bottle with your desired paint, and then you can spot spray with it."

In order for them to work at all the paint must be as thin as water, even then they tend to spit and sputter. Do not expect spray can results, that is for sure.

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry you" - Jack Bauer
post #819 of 1439 Old 03-20-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:

This weekend I completely redesigned and remounted the screen to allow it to fold-up to the ceiling for storage.

Can you describe your fold-up screen, ie how is it attached, both at the top/hinge end and at the bottom? I'm interested in something like this in my new attic, the finishing of which proceeds at a snail's pace. . . . Thanks! (and sorry for the thread detour)
post #820 of 1439 Old 03-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

When using a AE900, is the high lamp mode necessary or can you get away with the low lamp (in a light-controlled room)?

Is there an equivalent to Behr SS available at Lowes? I don't have a Home Depot here, and I don't think Lowes carries Behr.

Thanks
post #821 of 1439 Old 03-21-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugless View Post

Can you describe your fold-up screen, ie how is it attached, both at the top/hinge end and at the bottom? I'm interested in something like this in my new attic, the finishing of which proceeds at a snail's pace. . . . Thanks! (and sorry for the thread detour)

I'll try to get some screenshots of it this weekend (still gotta do cleanup after the construction). I'll post them in my gallery here at AVS and I'll add a post here when that happens.

post #822 of 1439 Old 03-21-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 View Post

When using a AE900, is the high lamp mode necessary or can you get away with the low lamp (in a light-controlled room)?

Is there an equivalent to Behr SS available at Lowes? I don't have a Home Depot here, and I don't think Lowes carries Behr.

Thanks

See this thread here on AVS:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=770E2

post #823 of 1439 Old 03-21-2006, 01:36 PM

Hi, Btt917!

Concerning the panny 900- I always run it on low mode...my room is 15 by 21 foor with the projector about 15 foot back shooting onto a 112" WIDE screen and it is completely bright. No dropoff of light. Yes, you can have several lamps on in the room and it is fine. I am projecting onto Black flame superlight because I have a light controlled room but even before that when I projected onto just sprayed knockdown it was still bright enough. Colors are beautiful and at this point I haven't even tweaked it for the screen or dvd.
post #824 of 1439 Old 03-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback, bcortez and artimp!
post #825 of 1439 Old 03-26-2006, 04:08 PM

I just happened upon this site and the SS paint w/ poly sounds intriguing. Sounds like a lot of guys on here have tried many things. I was previously looking into GooSystems products. Does anyone have any comparison between the (2). I'd assume that the GooSystems might be better, but is it that much better?

Scott
post #826 of 1439 Old 03-26-2006, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Scott,

Much of what you should base any decision on is the PJ your using and the viewing conditions you will encounter the most often.

SS is a very excellent "1 can Paint" solution that greatly enhances Contrast.
And it is very inexpensive, making it a good choice for any NEWBEE on a tight budget.

Depending on the PJ, it can produce either acceptably bright imagery, or dark images. The Poly adaptation can help mitigate that darkening, as can the addition of a small amount of Ultra Pure White Latex. But before too long, the addition of too many/much adulterants will change it into something decidedly different from SS, and then, if you come back and post an appraisal, BCortez is apt to chuck a Bottle of his Home Brew 'atcha!

Which isn't such a bad thing because I've tasted his wares and they are commendable indeed.

Post up your specs and needs, PM whomever seems to have something going on that you think is applicable to those criteria, and dive in. At this level, and even with a little of the extras thrown in for good measure, SS is something you do not have to have much fear of losing your shirt, enthusiasm, or mental health over trying to get right.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #827 of 1439 Old 03-26-2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks. I'm just framing the room and purchased a Panny AE900. I'm itching to hook this baby up. Sounds like SS works pretty well with the Panny. Just thought I'd ask if it is even comparable to Goo.

On a side note, would recessing the screen in the wall (3-4"), or building false wall around help with contrast?

Scott
post #828 of 1439 Old 03-26-2006, 05:19 PM

I was thinking of putting up a new screen this weekend mixing even parts of silverscreen, faux glaze, and white opal pearlescence....Im going to mx a small batch up tomorrow.

I see similar mixes with different ratios...but Im going to give this a whirl...

I'll post some shots when I get a chance.

doom.
post #829 of 1439 Old 03-27-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua L View Post

I was thinking of putting up a new screen this weekend mixing even parts of silverscreen, faux glaze, and white opal pearlescence....Im going to mx a small batch up tomorrow.

I see similar mixes with different ratios...but Im going to give this a whirl...

I'll post some shots when I get a chance.

That signature? I hope it's not indicative of your end results!

Watch out for the "Glaze". few have used such with any real dependable results without mitigating it to the point it really wasn't anything like a glaze anyway.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #830 of 1439 Old 03-27-2006, 04:47 PM

Nice to see SS is still being talked about. I have been waiting for some kind of comparison (Patrick Sennett?) to happen, since my SS is not perfect. I have 3 coats of it on a wall, using a new 4805. I now have a 2X ND filter over the lense and even with brightness turned down to 30-35, the whites are just a whiteout-- hardly any definition. (I first noticed this on the Olympics).
This happens less on really good HD broadcasts, and not at all on DVDs. Obviously the SS is reflecting too much light, or is "hotspotting". I am sure some of you old-timers can give me a little nudge. My last coat of SS did not go on smoothly, and before I go out and buy some more SS, I could use a little advice.
Thanks, guys.
post #831 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

That signature? I hope it's not indicative of your end results!

The signature was not my result, doom is my own multipurpose slang term.
Examples:

AVS is the doom!
Front Projection HTs are the doom.

I used to have a signature about CRT vs DLP/LCD,....I am now projecting using a DLP (SP4805) as space would not allow my CRT (Sony 1252q)

Back on topic.

I made the mix of paints using a 1:1:1 ratio of SS, WOP, and the Faux Glaze. The result wasnt that bad actually. While the image was darker than just the plain old white hardboard, the detail and color saturation were increased.

Dark scenes showed a much increased black level...black was black.
Light scenes I could see little difference, except to my eyes, the color seemed richer and there was more detail. As I said above, it was slightly darker however.
An example of a light scene I was watching, in the two towers when Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli were riding up to the burning pile of Uruk carcasses, the trees in the background on the mountain and on the treeline had definition, and were not just a green mass.

I am going to try messing with the ratios a little bit today and also put a second coat of the 1:1:1 mix on.

I suppose this has all been done before, but its what looks good in our eyes right? Thats why its DIY..

doom.
post #832 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej16943 View Post

Nice to see SS is still being talked about. I have been waiting for some kind of comparison (Patrick Sennett?) to happen, since my SS is not perfect. I have 3 coats of it on a wall, using a new 4805. I now have a 2X ND filter over the lense and even with brightness turned down to 30-35, the whites are just a whiteout-- hardly any definition. (I first noticed this on the Olympics).
This happens less on really good HD broadcasts, and not at all on DVDs. Obviously the SS is reflecting too much light, or is "hotspotting". I am sure some of you old-timers can give me a little nudge. My last coat of SS did not go on smoothly, and before I go out and buy some more SS, I could use a little advice.
Thanks, guys.

I'm here to say that of all the posted Caveats of SilverScreen, NEVER have I EVER seen a post claiming that "Hot Spotting" was an issue!

And with the Brightness attenuated to boot?????????

Do you have the 4805 plugged into a 220v outlet?

Is your SS mix one that somehow was made using an EggShell, or Semi-Gloss Base? Any other glossy adultrants?

That you have something mixed in with the SS seems to be the only thing that makes any sense. For sure the 4805's lumen levels are NOT the culprit.

At any rate, before you go further, try a light sanding with a large Sanding Sponge with long, sweeping strokes. That should help reduce any "sheening" you have.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #833 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I'm here to say that of all the posted Caveats of SilverScreen, NEVER have I EVER seen a post claiming that "Hot Spotting" was an issue!

And with the Brightness attenuated to boot?????????

Do you have the 4805 plugged into a 220v outlet?

Never view HD on a projector right after the eye doctor puts drops in your eyes.
What base did you buy the SS in? was it Matte

Bud

post #834 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 07:54 AM

I did get some hot spotting with my SS WOP 40%+ mix. Of course I also used SS Satin, and not the flat as most used. I had to decrease my mix to keep it from hot spotting.... I'm also using a low lumen DIY LCD projector that is not the light cannons you guys are using - hence I tried Satin finish
post #835 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 08:17 AM

I tried a 1:2:2 ratio mix today (SS, WOP, Faux Glaze) and it produced too much hotspotting..

I think 2 coats of the 1:1:1 mix I did previously looks best.

I'm going to paint a whole screen this weekend. I'll post screenies of that when I am done.

doom.
post #836 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I tried a 1:2:2 ratio mix today (SS, WOP, Faux Glaze) and it produced too much hotspotting..

I think 2 coats of the 1:1:1 mix I did previously looks best.

I'm going to paint a whole screen this weekend. I'll post screenies of that when I am done.

Just an FYI and point of advice. Nobody can get a valuable comparative result by looking at one screen and "remembering" what the previous screen looked like. We need to have a true side-by-side comparison of the same media to truly compare. Nature has given our brains the capacity to adjust our perceptions, vision, and cloud our memories for good reason (survival). Let's remember that when claiming one thing is better than the other, especially when you do not compare side-by-side. To this end, I'm creating a set of JPG images to aid in the comparison of screen samples. The recommended minimum sample size should be no less than 1/3 of a 19:6 screen size. This would allow a control (blackout cloth or UPW) base for 1/3, and leave the remaining 2/3 for 2 other samples.

Does anyone here have server space I can upload the image arhive to (in a ZIP format) for all to download? If so, please PM me the details. When uploaded, I'll post the URL here for others to benefit.

post #837 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 09:14 AM

I actually painted one half of a white hardboard with the 1:1:1 ratio and one half with the 1:2:2 mix and the 1:2:2 side had major hotspotting from different viewing positions.
It was side by side

doom.
post #838 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I actually painted one half of a white hardboard with the 1:1:1 ratio and one half with the 1:2:2 mix and the 1:2:2 side had major hotspotting from different viewing positions.
It was side by side

That's good. It wasn't clear to me from your previous posts the methods you used. Thanks for clarifying that point for us all.

post #839 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 AM

Yeah, sorry about not being clear...
Thanks for turning me on to the SilverScreen Doom BCortez.

doom.
post #840 of 1439 Old 03-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcortez View Post

Does anyone here have server space I can upload the image arhive to (in a ZIP format) for all to download? If so, please PM me the details. When uploaded, I'll post the URL here for others to benefit.

Couldn't you use the gallery function here?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page