Behr "Silverscreen" Paint - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1439 Old 04-21-2004, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
mmmm.... I wonder if there is any combinations this would work well with?

Any suggestions?
Maybe add a little white opal to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 09:01 AM

Liked: 10
When the Behr drys is the finish flat, eggshell, gloss or otherwise.

I have no less than 6 different cans of silver spray paint on hand and getting ready to build a screen.

Has anyone tried "Krylon Dull Aluminum # 1403 on a screen. I really like the look of it when sprayed. Will be joining in on the screen paint game as my Benq 8700 arrived last night and the brown wall doesn't really do it justice.

I see several uses of what I would call gloss silver and gloss aluminum spray finishes. Don't the reflective surfaces of these make for hot spot problems?

Newbe questions I know. Thanks for being kind to a beginner. I hope to bring some of my background painting autos many years ago to this effort.

Best,

jj
post #63 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought a quart of this last night and will give it a try tonight. From the looks of it, it's going to be on the lighter side compared to my Valspar gray which will not be too great for blacks.

Sometimes you reach what's real by making believe.
post #64 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Much of the use of silver paints produces hot-spotting screens that are usually quickly dismissed. The silverscreen paint is actually a light gray/silverish paint. It might benefit from having a shiny silver paint as a base, with the silverscreen painted lightly on top, but I believe that has yet to be explored. Please feel free to experiment and let us know the results.

Something profound

post #65 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 AM

I was actually thinking of trying a Silver Metallic / Silver Screen mix..not layered...but mixed in same can...

thoughts?
post #66 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Someone mentioned about how does Behr SS compares with UPW.

Did anyone compare?

I know UPW wont give as deep blacks but the colors are punchier. My experience with Tears of Joy concluded that it darken the punch too much. On the other hand, the X1 has a blue push. So recently I upped my red contrast to 65. Since SS has some red tint in it, do you think I'm close to the contrast of colors of what you have with the SS and not have to repaint?
post #67 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I think anybody who wants to experiment with this paint should try it first as is, on a applicable surface, and then judge accordingly before altering the scenario.

Often times, enthusiasum and "what if" combines to actually deter some from what should be an easy choice.

Please note:

MM sez it was not only well received at the SO, it got some "Its Amazing" type plaudits. This from people committed enough to travel so as to make serious judgements, not speculative assumptions.

More than a few have also posted such accolades, so don't let the standing it received deter you. Considering everything, nothing is certain here except the unforseen.

Having said that, extrapolation of know data suggests that:

1. SS would be an excellent Base coat for a SM/MM variation
2. SM might be likewise vice versa but without MM
3. SM cut equally with SS might be the next big thing easily stumbled upon.
(...on your Mark, get set............*)
4. It will do more than well enough for a temporary screen with contrast values high enough for the critical "Cheap" PJ owner's equipment, and reflective enough not to dampen the output of a below 800 lumen PJ.
Much.

but of course, if any of ya'all wanna risk ahole Tin smackers ur sew an do crazy, unspeakable things.............................,

Call me and I'll jurn ya.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #68 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

rick-
It can't hurt to try. Limit the amount of SM you add to the paint, though, or rolling will quickly become messy. I learned this over a few weeks of experimenting with SM in mixes. Try to limit it to about 35% max and you should be fine. It might take much less than that to give a noticeable improvement - or maybe it will muck it up. Make small batches and keep us informed of the results.

Something profound

post #69 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Scoob,

"I know, Why trust a Shark?"

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #70 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Everyone,

As I've said in the past (and recently in another thread), this is DIY (Do It Yourself). Sometimes you can easily get bogged down in the asking of the questions. Take the time to just try it....who cares if you succeed? Your perceived failure may actually become a leap forward. The main thing to understand is just take the chance. What's to lose? We all learn more from our failures than our successes anyway, right?

Remember, the Y in DIY is "Yourself".

Owner of the Tavern Theater(R) Pub.
"Where homebrew is always on tap"
post #71 of 1439 Old 04-22-2004, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bcortez
Everyone,

As I've said in the past (and recently in another thread), this is DIY (Do It Yourself). Sometimes you can easily get bogged down in the asking of the questions. Take the time to just try it....who cares if you succeed? Your perceived failure may actually become a leap forward. The main thing to understand is just take the chance. What's to lose? We all learn more from our failures than our successes anyway, right?

Thanks, bcortez. We need more doers like you!
BTW, still looking forward to those next screen shots. CMRA
post #72 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Me too. Unfortunately (or fortunately), it has been a crazy work week for me. And, I have to go away again this weekend. I hope everyone can wait until next week for the comparison screenies.

Sorry folks, duty calls...

post #73 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bcortez
Everyone,

OK! I got the paint. I got the rollers. I got my buddies PJ on loan for a week. And I got a flat wall.

Cross your fingers...

post #74 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I say good for you. When you finish, let us know how it went....good or bad.

And another joins the ranks as a doer, feel better CMRA ?

post #75 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried this Silverscreen paint last night with poor results. Too light of a gray color in which the black level suffers too much, at least compared to my Valspar plank gray. There was a gain in brightness but compared to the loss in black level this color is not an option.

In this pick below you can see my test panel (mixed with upw, pearl, silver m and deep base) up against my Valspar gray screen. The Silverscreen paint color is almost identical to my test panel.

http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrine...res/screen.jpg

post #76 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Ron,

Your image does not show the Silverscreen test panel, does it? You said it wasn't to your liking (that's fine, to each his own), but then described another mix and showed two different panels. Please show all three in the shot....for comparison sake. Also, a comparison of actual projected images on each surface (along with your pj and system specs) can give us a better idea of why your blacks have suffered. It may be the use of a different PJ (LCD or CRT), connection type (component, vga, dvi), and/or source (DVD player, HTPC, VCR, etc...) . All these variables make up the final experience.

Please help us understand your findings. I wouldn't want your work to go for naught.

Thanks.

post #77 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by jj22
When the Behr drys is the finish flat, eggshell, gloss or otherwise.

Sorry for taking so long to answer. The Silverscreen paint is just Behr UPW (Flat white enamel) mixed according to the Behr color number.

post #78 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

If the Silverscreen is so light, it might be a better match for CRTs, no?
post #79 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

That pic does not show the Silverscreen. I used that existing test panel shown in the pick and painted over 1/2 of it with the Silverscreen. This weekend I'll take a pic with the three screen colors and post it in this thread. The mix I listed above was given to me in a PM. I believe it was that SM/MM mix, but I'm not 100% sure.

Specs are:
100% light controled black room
Panasonic 200u LCD
JVC progressive player
Component connection
Calibrated via AVIA

I may take more screen shots but to be honest, they do not represent the actual image seen so they really are of no value. You can see some I took a while back with my current setup on the Valspar screen. Just visit my website via the link below. If I take some, I'll post them here as well.

post #80 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 01:04 PM

Ron-P, Did you recalibrate your projector to the Silverscreen? With as much of a difference in the two screens I can deffinately see how the SS could look washed out with your current settings. It's possible that recalibrating the projector to the SS could bring back some of those lost blacks while maintaining a brighter overall picture. Just a thought.

<><
post #81 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 01:10 PM

I have got a screen from my Sports PUB Bar. Due to the smoking enviroment, the screen has changed its color from being white to off yellow( yellowish). I have tried to clean it with out any luck. Have tried all kind of cleaning material to make it white and clean.

I like the suggestion from bcortez by painting with Behr silverscreen. Before I take this endevour, I would like your opinion for paining my screen with silverscreen. Would this work for me as this is on a screen material and not on wood? or do you have any suggestions. Thank you

Parmar
post #82 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ron,

Thanks for the update. Keep in mind that I painted over a glossy white surface (white Gatorfoam), whereas you painted over a darker gray surface. Now I don't know if that would make a difference, but considering I used only two thin coats, it's quite possible it does (given the LF experiments and all the multilayering tests being tried here). For me, it seems (DISCLAIMER: This is just a supposition on my part and not backed by any scientific experimentation - I've been here too long I guess) the underlying white sub-surface could be reflecting back the whites, while the gray top surface is absorbing the blacks. My whites seem white, and my blacks are darker than a plain white surface in my eyes (left eye 20/25, right eye 20/10)

How many coats did you do?

Did you roll it or spray it?

CRMA or MM: Any thoughts on my hypothesis above? It seems plausible to me.

MM: What was the under surface color of the Silverscreen sample you brought to the Canuck Shootout?

post #83 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by parmar
I have got a screen from my Sports PUB Bar. Due to the smoking enviroment, the screen has changed its color from being white to off yellow( yellowish). I have tried to clean it with out any luck. Have tried all kind of cleaning material to make it white and clean.

I like the suggestion from bcortez by painting with Behr silverscreen. Before I take this endevour, I would like your opinion for paining my screen with silverscreen. Would this work for me as this is on a screen material and not on wood? or do you have any suggestions. Thank you

Parmar

Parmar,

If you've cleaned the surface well (and it sounds like you have), then it should be fine to try. Not sure about fabric, never tried it myself. Spraying may be best, but then, I'm only a Software Engineer by trade and not a painter. I do have one suggestion, try it....what have you got to lose. Afterall, you can always paint over it again...if needed. Experiment away, especially if you got it for free.

post #84 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, each and every time I test I re-calibrate with AVIA.

post #85 of 1439 Old 04-23-2004, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My whites seem white, and my blacks are darker than a plain white surface in my eyes

How many coats did you do?

Did you roll it or spray it?

I will say, the Silverscreen is better then white, that goes without saying. But it's just not enough for me. I much prefer the deeper / darker blacks over super vibrante colors or whites. There is a trade off, and no matter what color screen or how dark you go, it will have to be a trade off that you can live with. No screen color will give you super vibrant colors and whites along with deep / dark blacks, (with a digital PJ) at least from what I have seen so far.

I used a roller and applied two coats.

post #86 of 1439 Old 04-24-2004, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

MississippiMan..

You make some serious allegations. My company hosts this event and invests several thousand dollars in it therefore you call into question its integrity and credibility with these allegations, and false statements.

You make the following statements.

Incredible.

Guys, dispite all the glowing initial reports, Rob states the SS came in at the bottom of the pile. Strange results that don't reflect the first comments posted by several very knowledble individuals, or the plaudits it received in person at the show. Something doesn't add up. From what I saw, and what others

I thought it was stated that an independent company was taking the results and doing the tabulation, but it seems it was really all just done by Rob. A PDF with the results listed as verified by the accountant and on his own letterhead would go much farther in convincing me and now quite a few others that there isn't some skewing of the results going on to satisfy another's agenda.

Hey that's probably not the case anyway, but when posted results fly in the face of popular comments, it does bring of a question of validity.

These are very serious accusations.

First lets deal with your claim.. starting with..
Strange results that don't reflect the first comments posted by several very knowledble individuals,
Where are these posts? other than yours of course. that give you the right to make such a statement.

You suggest that I am unreliable... or not trust worthy. Please advise!!.. this is a public forum

You suggest that the results are not adequate without the an audit with an accounting firm.. Please advise!!

Since you state that I did the tabulation and results that I am capable or would be inclined to skew the results.. and therefore put my companies integrity and honour at risk ... Please advise!!

Where are these posts that fly in the face of popular comments that bring question to the validity?... Please advise!!!

Maurice .. these are very serious slanderous, allegations, and attempt to disparage my character and integrity... the character and integrity of my company that financed this event. I think now since this has been viewed by several people in an open forum and that your company as it turns out was representing what you do for financial gain, as written to me post the event I can expect an explanation of these theories and promotions of my character as well as my companies character in such a disparaging way.

In any event, many people have read these allegations by you so ..Please advise.

Robert...
post #87 of 1439 Old 04-24-2004, 11:42 PM

Why don't the people who just wanna bitzatch go to the "Go Here for Whiney Bizatches Forum" and let the rest of us talk about whatever the thread's topic is please?

Just my opinion....
post #88 of 1439 Old 04-25-2004, 01:39 AM

ps

this only refers to the uncalledfor rant directly above mine =)

-= Rick
post #89 of 1439 Old 04-25-2004, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The rant is under the english language I know ..contained within the statement I copied ... I just want some answers in response to the "rant"... I think given what is being said about my business and me personally I deserve this explanation since it is said from another person who is running a business and selling these products on the forum.. An inquiry is a request for information ... there is a great difference and thankyou for pointing these out because most people would be confused that were versed in the English language had you not pointed.

In the interest of those that might be wondering as do I ..

MM statement as a fact to support his "rant"

Strange results that don't reflect the first comments posted by several very knowledble individuals

Where are these posted comments by several individuals? Please advise.. (inquiry) a request for information

rant... a series of bombastic declamatory statements..
inquiry ... a request for information..

Forum

...desired by most.. a place for requesting and receiving information..

Not desired ..a place for making bombastic declamatory false statements
............................................................ .........................

I think I am ok on this one .. Please do advise...

post #90 of 1439 Old 04-25-2004, 11:47 AM

Liked: 29
MississippiMan..

3. SM cut equally with SS might be the next big thing easily stumbled upon.
(...on your Mark, get set............*)

I'll be game for this.

But.. do you mean as a base coat or as an all-in-one solution?
I've read on previous posts that SM+ME resulted in a poor screen so that's the only thing holding me back, as the SM+SS might result with same downfalls.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page