post #181 of 345 Old 09-12-2005, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer
Oh boy, I 've seen this before.

Crossing my fingers on a good solution. I need a new project...

As for the patent, save the congratulations for a couple more years. I'm sure what he is talking about is that the patent office has acknowledged the filing of his application, and has assigned a patent application number. Anyone can do this with anything, as long as they pay the application fee. It does not mean he has any rights in the invention, yet. Time will tell, as the patent office scrutinizes the application, which doesn't happen for a year to a year and a half after filing in the US patent office.

But as stated previously, filing the patent does now allow Jimbra to disclose to us the magic ingredients without fear of losing the rights to the invention by premature disclosure. The application date is fixed, so any information he leaks to us in this public forum cannot be held against him as "prior art."
Your sadly mistaken and obviously worried about it. No need for further comment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 12:27 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Captain Koons: The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any of the slopes were gonna get their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.
post #183 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbra
Your sadly mistaken and obviously worried about it. No need for further comment

Are you talking about my statement about having seen this before (the promise to post by a certain date, and then missing it?)

Or are you talking about the patent? I would be really interested in finding out how you got a patent in a month, since the quickest I have ever gotten the patent office to even look at one of my patent application filings was a little over a year. There are a couple of ways you can expedite the process--you have to be dying, or you have to have discovered a cure for cancer or AIDS. For all I know, this screen does all of the above, and you may be dying. But I am 100% sure you did not get a patent in a month. And if you did, tell me the number, and we can all look at it together.

I'm not calling you a liar, but in my line of work, all of my clients are confused by how the patent system works (even the clients that are actually patent attorneys as well.)

And I've noticed your tone has changed considerably in the last few posts--and I'm not sure what has brought on this. We're all just avid DIYers that are interested in your solution, that's all (I would hope). Hopefully you don't have to worry about someone profiting from your solution--and if you do find someone that is, I know a good law firm to represent you! ;)

I hope I speak for everyone when I say thanks for even discussing this with us. You don't have to, and I am grateful.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #184 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 08:16 AM

Wooohooooo its Tuesday!!

Step 1 is a comin'. This is exciting, this is almost like AA but isn't that a 10 step program?

Seriosly though, I hope this thing is killer, because I need one of these screens for my setup and I am looking forward to building it, and I am really looking forward to enjoying it with the lights on!

Jimbra,

Included in Step 1 can you give us any idea of expected gain? Limitations of projectors ie: brightness required, throw distance constraints if any etc. I would hate to get to step 9 and find out it will not work with my PJ or my setup.

Thanks in advance.

Snorf
post #185 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 08:20 AM

[quote=I hope I speak for everyone when I say thanks for even discussing this with us. You don't have to, and I am grateful.[/QUOTE]

Well said Steve. I agree.

Snorf
post #186 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have to ask. Why 9 stages? Why drag this out? Just curious. It just sounds a bit odd to me, so I'm curious as to why.

9 stages sounds like it could potentially take a long time, unless you actually show up each day and post the links (and that's still 9 days. Ouch). This thing must be more complicated than I thought it would be.

Also, when do we get to see some screenshots?

Thanks
post #187 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 08:38 AM

All this drama is killer...lol

I just can't wait so we can try and make it even cheaper...DIY...DIY...lol

And can a fellow local detroiter come and take a peek at the finished product?

Click Here for DIY Screen Chat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #188 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Still working on the technical write up for the DIY's. I have to do this outside of my regular employment, and must be careful not to ruffle the feathers of the guys that sign my paycheck so please, bear with me. About an hour and I should be posting, phase 1. It looks like this can be explained in 4 stages not nine.

The powers that be are a bit concerned about revelation of the film material so we are considering weather we should just send it to any genuine DIY's in act of goodwill free of charge. We are debating on how we will approach this situation of the Magic ingredient over the next few days.
post #189 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Misson313, as soon as I can get approval I will send a PM, so you can visit our tech center. Be forewarned you will have to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
post #190 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 528
"He said it doesn't look like a big TV with the lights on (not sure exactly what he means by this), which sounds really disappointing."

I mean that a TV can have great contrast and brightness even with the lights on. The Mirage with a moderate output projector was both flat and dim.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #191 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh, Jimbra, while I understand you not wanting to reveal the film, it seems like you'd either be making an open-ended commitment to keep selling the material at / near cost (or did you really mean free?!?) to DIYers or this would be some short-term thing and future people coming along would not be able to benefit.

I'm guessing the film can't easily be bought in tiny amounts and I'm guessing that no commercial customers would bother with DIYing, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to reveal the film.

But that's just mho.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #192 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 09:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Hmmmmmm............., let's see now.

Take Light Fusion, even SM/MM painted on a wall, both of which some liken to a "Big TV" aka "Plasma"

...and add the "Magic Ingrediant"....,

It could be almost "Thermonuclear" in it's DIY potential.

IMHO, of course. :D

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #193 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
"He said it doesn't look like a big TV with the lights on (not sure exactly what he means by this), which sounds really disappointing."

I mean that a TV can have great contrast and brightness even with the lights on. The Mirage with a moderate output projector was both flat and dim.
Not at all, the contrast is fantastic, clarity outstanding. I am sure Misson313 will be able to view this within the next few days and report the same to the forum.

I do want to keep this end of the thread in a DIY perspective, as I stated before we are going to market this product corporately, and in no means what so ever do we mean to profit from this thread. The DIY's "will" be able to build this system on their own for a reasonable cost. We will not be selling nor promoting the sale of anything.

Just going to show the DIY's how to build it. With the right materials.
post #194 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

I due respect, to everyone, I have to arise at 5 am to get ready for work, and will have to refine and spellcheck stage one post, se ya'll after work tomorrow.
post #195 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 09:58 PM

Jimbra,

Can I be one of the DIY'ers that get some of the secret ingredient, (in Roger Rabbits Voice) pppllllleeeeeaaaaaaassssseee?

I can't wait till tomorrow night!!

Snorf
post #196 of 345 Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I do want to keep this end of the thread in a DIY perspective, as I stated before we are going to market this product corporately, and in no means what so ever do we mean to profit from this thread. The DIY's "will" be able to build this system on their own for a reasonable cost. We will not be selling nor promoting the sale of anything.

Just going to show the DIY's how to build it. With the right materials.
They you simply must reveal what the coating material is. Because otherwise a DIYer can't do it his/herself.

post #197 of 345 Old 09-14-2005, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Misson313, as soon as I can get approval I will send a PM, so you can visit our tech center. Be forewarned you will have to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Excellent, I have no problem with that. I work for prototype suppier for the big three so I am used to it and we have been NASCAR champs the last 2 years ;)

Man I would love to see a full on comparison of the Mirage/ Matte White / Jimbra Special... :)

*MISSION313 is Geeked

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #198 of 345 Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
They you simply must reveal what the coating material is. Because otherwise a DIYer can't do it his/herself.
Kind of, I would think they could supply the material without giving up its origin. In other words maybe in more of a kit type of thing rather than a full on go buy everything yourself.

post #199 of 345 Old 09-14-2005, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting...

I, for one, would not mind getting one of the films free, as I can attest that I am a true DIYer.

But here are some options, if you really want to keep this open to DIYers, but protect your investment in the long run. All of these options requires a bit more work on your end, however.

1. Give the magic ingredient to people privately, rathen than publicly post it on the website. This will give you the best way to screen those to whom you believe "deserve" the material/method because of the their desire to maintain this as a DIY project.

2. Same as 1., but require each person who gets the formula to sign a confidentiality agreement. This would be a huge burden for you, though.

3. Set up a website with the method/materials posted (I guess this would be AVS forum).

4. Set up a password protected website--you could choose who to give the password to.

5. Same as 4, but with a confidentiality agreement/limited license. (This is not legal advice-->) I am not sure about this, but I think you could probably set up a website requiring personal information (name and address), and then provide a confidentiality agreement/license for those you distribute passwords to.

6. Same as 5, but open to the public, where anyone who logs on has to give personal information and click on accepting the confidentiality agreement.

post #200 of 345 Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I for two wouldn't mind getting the films for free as well :)

IN reality there are very FEW non diyers here , and even less who would like to implement this screen into their current line of screens .

I am sure steve has good intentions about some of his options but a pass word protected site is not going to be very effective in practicality ,

Who will protect the formula once you give the formula out to the NEW guy with only one post who really just wants to make a screen for his poor sick dieing son.

I would probably suggest getting just a FEW people who you are concerned about to sign a paper that will limit the use of your screen for resale or profit .

If you disclose ingredients and application ,There is no real way to protect your screen from home based small time screen makers, or the small custom theater maker to use your screen screen .
( the only real way to get the people you really do not want to profit from your screen is sign a direct contract )

Now hurry up, look at all the frenzy you are causing !!

Bruce
post #201 of 345 Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 AM

I had an Optoma EP739 since December of last year and, while it was a great first projector (DLP, XGA and excellent contrast and blacks, excellent daytime viewing capability due to high lumens), I \\knew what I was missing when I had a chance to view a Z3, a Sony 720p and an AE700 in succession at a friend's home theater store.

Being more of an HTPC type of guy, I really would love to get an affordable 720p projector that I could use for my movies, gaming and HDTV at as high a resolution as possible, and with it a screen that could be useable during the day and could grow with me when I'm able to afford a full 1080p projector down the road...

I've sold my 739 and I'm currently trying to decide if I should stick with front projection or go with a good, 60"+, 720p or even 1080p RPTV set in the interim to satisfy my big-screen gaming and HTPC needs. I'd rather get a front projector, but that ambient light viewing thing is a hinderance for the affordable 720p FPs without spending big bucks on a commercial "dark" screen. I really am lusting for higher resolution in the daytime.

I hope this secret film process is for real, easy to replicate, and is AVAILABLE as soon as possible.

Hmm... have I elucidated upon my sheer level of anticipation yet? :D

PS: Hoping for screenshots! :)
post #202 of 345 Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 AM

Jimbra,

You wouldn't happen to work for 3M, would you?
post #203 of 345 Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 AM

It would also be interesting to see how this process mated with MMan's MM SE stuff, or that new SS process that's being discussed in BCortez's thread... Hmm...
post #204 of 345 Old 09-14-2005, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Jimbra,

While you're still working out the details on how to disseminate the info on your discovery to the DIY clan, how about at least posting some of those screen shots you were mentioning earlier so folks can see first hand this little bit of magic that this optical film will possibly provide.

I'm hoping that this film will have some kind of a static cling type of property to it and that there will be no chemical reaction between it and the surface of my screen. If this is the case, you can count me in as a willing participant to gladly demo the material and give a detailed review. I've got a 120" diagonal SilverStar and I'm up for a little bit of experimentation. Provided that is, that this process will not cause any kind of permanent damage and is reversible if I don't find the results to my liking. If it's not a reversible process, I guess I'll have to go the same route as everyone else.
post #205 of 345 Old 09-15-2005, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I due respect, to everyone, I have to arise at 5 am to get ready for work, and will have to refine and spellcheck stage one post, se ya'll after work tomorrow.
How long after work?

Funny how somebody who has given no details, no screenshots, no information whatsoever that can be verified by anybody, has us all waiting so anxiously...

But I continue to wait patiently...

post #206 of 345 Old 09-15-2005, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just subscrbe to this thread under thread tools. Then you'll get an email whenever ther is a new post. No need to wait around or keep checking.

Ken
post #207 of 345 Old 09-15-2005, 10:26 AM

I have been watching this thread with utmost interest. I think a lot of other people are doing the same thing. The thought of building/owning the top of the line screen at 4K less than what I would have to pay is just incredible. The thought of having a 120 inch plasma-quality display which I can watch with my windows opened makes me restless and keeps me coming back to this thread checking on jimbra's promises.

Granted he doesn't have to discuss this with any of us and it is absolutely his generosity to share with us anything regarding this major development. However, when I step back and look at the situation I see the following:

1. I don't know who he is.
2. I don't know his reputation on this board.
3. After many posts from him I still don't know anything about his "invention". Absolutely not a single piece of detail.
4. He has never kept his promises. The story is changing all the time.
5. Some details are just ludicrous such as getting his patent in a few short weeks.

So my logical assessment is he is not for real. But at the same time I continue to hope he'll show up.

And this morning I discover my behavior is exactly like an old maid waiting for a cheating guy to marry her.

I am too young and too cute to be that old maid right now. Goodbye jimbra.

River
post #208 of 345 Old 09-15-2005, 10:52 AM

I'd have to agree with RiverPlace. This type of approach is the domain of snake-oil salesman. I'm a practical guy, prone to live by the Scientific Method. To this point, I see no tangible proofs to any of his claims.
- No screenshots displaying his claims
- No testimonies from informed sources
- No patent number indetifier that would allow a search into his claims
- Threats to legally bury anyone looking to profit from his claims
- No cooberration from anyone seeing this first hand

Frankly, unless I see something, this is all just a string of 0's and 1's. Just bits....

Remember, "extraodinary claims require extraordinary proof". It's been almost 2 full months of baseless claims. Hope does spring eternal, but actions speak louder than words in my book. So, Jimbra, care to give us something? Give me the patent number so I can look it up? Show me a screenshot? Send me a PM with a confidentiality agreement, or how about posting it here for everyone to see?

Anything short of this is playing us all for fools. Wake up folks...sheeesh.

Owner of the Tavern Theater(R) Pub.
"Where homebrew is always on tap"
post #209 of 345 Old 09-15-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
First of all as I begin this series of posting's,

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/so...ion/coffee.wav

I hope all will follow this link, Listen to it, and understand if "ANYONE ATTEMPTS TO PROFIT BY MARKETING OUR PROCESS" you will meet an attorney "Much like Jules" and we will pop a legal cap in your ass, you will never wish was ever fired.

Do not forget you are playing with a Fortune 500 company backing our system that has resources well beyond yours and one best be prepared to play the game. We can afford to, Can you?
Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem believing this comes from a representative of a Fortune 500 company?
post #210 of 345 Old 09-15-2005, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Uh-oh, the sharks are circling...

Closed Thread DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page