Portable Screen Roll-Up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a projector (Screenplay 4805) which will be used temporarily in my Family room. The earliest I'll be able to start my HT is in a year and I'll be building a DIY screen for that room.

My family room is about 15x20. I have a wall-unit than spans the 15' wall and is about 8 feet high. The unit is all white and the walls in the room is a tan color. There are four windows in the room. Most (if not all) of my viewing will be done at night, so I don't believe I'll have an ambient light issue.

The seats face the wall unit and the intent is to place a portable screen in front of the unit. I don't wish to purchase a commercial screen.

I'm looking for an alternative to building a hardboard/paint or with BOC framed screen. I still may go this route if my following idea is not feasible or may not yield the desired results.

Here goes, please provide any comments. Thanks

See link for a description w/picture
< Since this is my first post, I wasn't allowed to use a url. You can look at the picture in the photo gallery. Do a search on 'portable screen'. I would appreciate if a privilege user could post the link in a reply. thanks>

I would have a large black cloth for the background. Rough dimensions would be 6'x10'. The purpose would be to block out the white wall unit and to provide a surface to adhere the BOC screen. The background material would be attached to two pvc pipes. The top pipe would have eye hooks for mounting. The bottom pipe will provide tension in the background cloth and to roll up the background/screen when not in use.

Two screens from BOC would be attached. On one side a 16:9 AR and on the other side a 2.35:1 AR. I'll use some type of adhesive to attach the BOC.

Concerns
Do I need to worry about wrinkles?
Could the wrinkles be eliminated if I use a large diameter (~2-4") pvc pipe at the bottom?
Do I have to worry about material thickness difference when rolled up? I think I'm okay because the material is thinner at the edges where there is no screen. I don't care if I have wrinkles in the background cloth.
Is it okay not to have tension on the BOC?
What's the best way to get a clean edge on the BOC? Do I attach a small border around the screen to conceal the cut-edges?
Closed Thread DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page