Bubbles on screen! *gulp* - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-07-2005, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The continuing adventures of a girl and her screen ...

Based on a lot of suggestions (thanks everyone!), I cut the 100" diagonal 16X9 screen down to 80" diagonal, 39" height and 70" width. For the screen I glued a poly-wal covering to a particle board. The problem? the bubbles, mother, the bubbles! (Little Psycho reference for you film buffs.)

The snobby girl at Menards told me I only needed one tube of glue to cover the whole screen. I was skeptical, and maybe she was just trying to get me to "save more money at Menards," but 1 tube was only about a 1/4th of what I needed. Once I started gluing (taking Ms. Menard's word for it), there was no going back.

Now, the screen looks GREAT, except for these ridiculous bubbles. I'm worried about the funhouse mirror effect, where people's faces will distort when they walk past the bubbles on the screen. Should I scrap this one (and the 10 hours work and $100.00 I put into it), or won't this be as big a problem as I'm predicting?

Any recommendations would be wildly, amazingly, incredibly appreciated! I'm starting to see why people buy screens, at this point. But I'm in this deep, and don't really want to turn back now. So, the question remains: How bad will these bubbles (they're about 3/4" off the screen and there are 7 of them, at last count) distort the picture?

Thanks! I hope to have this screen up and pictures taken for all of you to see when it's done. It's my first (only?) wordworking type project, and I'm sort of proud of it, even if I did mess it up by not having enough glue.
Closed Thread DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page