The Official Untreated Do-able Only Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1172 Old 01-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not going to spend the money on a pro screen. 10-100 for the screen base and another 50 for the paint materials works for me

The Grey Wolf is a very fairly priced screen, but the glass bead texture is a deal breaker for me.

I have painted samples of melamine, the texture of it is fairly similar to the glass bead texture of the GW once painted.

The mdf is perfectly smooth, but requires 2 different paint jobs and finding 1/4" (non-pegboard) mdf at any of the stores listed has provens equally tough. The 3/$" stuff weighs north of 30 I think.

The ploy-wall has been well reviewed in the past - given it's stiffness over cloth it doesn't seem like a problem to paint it and mount it without waves - but you may be right - maybe mdf is the way to go, just haven't wanted to give in yet.

re. do-able - ah, having never seen it (trust me, it ain't around here) I didn't know it was textured. That might be better for unpainted use, but I don't need texture to difuse the light - texture will only inhibit the paint from doing its' job given what I want to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1172 Old 01-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can assure you that there are oversized sheets of melamine and mdf in Washington, DC.

I mispoke - the oversize melamine is available - but melamine has never been an option to me for the reasons mentioned. Oversize mdf, particularly 1/4" sheets, has never shown it's face at any of the 5 HD or 1 Lowes that are local here.
post #273 of 1172 Old 01-30-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Most of the melamine I have worked with has less texture than you would likely make with a roller.

Most of all sheet goods have been metric measurements for years now, that is why they are over sized the one inch width and legnth . But I was meaning the 5' by 10' stuff

I have noticed the 3/8 doable vinyl board has more texture and sheen than melamine

If you want to look for some ideal samples of melamine look in the speciality lumber yards and cabinet suppliers ,most and comercial cabinet shots will have it as well .

Also Doable makes quite a few products including melamine sheets ,sometimes it is confusing what products you are looking at .

Good luck

bruce
post #274 of 1172 Old 01-30-2006, 03:05 PM

Here is my question, I have been cruising the forum and researching Doable. I have been unsuccessful in finding the Doable Board, however, my Home Depot has Doable PolySheets. I just found it today in the trim and panelling section. The tag says that it is made by Do Able for $19 for a 4X8 sheet.

My question is whether it is the right stuff. The sheets are flexible, almost like vinyl flooring, but thinner. The sheets are solid white with a slight texture, when held up to the light it has hardly any sheen to it. Do you think this is the same stuff as the hardboard Doable, just without the hardboard attached to it.

I am thinking it is, but I have never seen the actual Doable hardboard in person so I am at a loss. I am thinking of buying it and using an adhesive, like for countertops, to laminate it to either plywood or a sheet of sheetrock for hanging. What does everyone think. Also, the sheets are flexible enough that a person could buy them, roll them up, put them in a shipping tube, and ship them.

Thanks in advance, this forum has saved me so much money with tips and products.
post #275 of 1172 Old 01-31-2006, 02:04 PM

I just found Parkland Plastex (polywall) at Lowe's in Vestal, NY (near Binghamton) but they don't call it that and did not even know they carry Parkland!!!! Until we flipped it over to the backside (smooth) for building purposes and I read the sticker!!! It cost $15.83 for the .06x4x8 panel which can be rolled up. The item # is 72405. Lowe's doesn't call it polywall (nor did Parkland's sticker). Lowe's Vestal number is 607/770-9800...ask for Mike in "millworks" and he'll know what you're talking about. He told me he had called the Doable people at my request yesterday and told them about a home theater screen and they did not know what he was talking about. Interesting that Doable (at least that person there) did not know the product is used for HT screens. (I did not give him the extension 3230 for "Pam" as was in another post...maybe she is the only one at Doable who knows we use it for HT!!!)

Anyways, UNFORTUNATELY Lowe's around here does not carry the durotherm. I happened upon the Plastex by accident when I was looking at the hotspotting panel board I already bought laying right next to it!!!
post #276 of 1172 Old 01-31-2006, 08:42 PM

I'd like to get a slightly bigger screen, has anyone tried to put two pieces together? If so is the seam noticable?

Craig
post #277 of 1172 Old 02-01-2006, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Silver-

If you do buy it, definitely post screenshots and let us know if it works out.

You might have found the actual vinyl layering. That would be great to all of those that can't find the actual board.
post #278 of 1172 Old 02-01-2006, 07:51 PM

I will definitely buy the Doable Vinyl Sheet to see if it will work. It is a such a low cost alternative to buying tons of paint to mix or an actual screen. My basement will be ready for sheetrock in about three weeks so it will be a while before I actually get the projector and screen put together. Maybe mid summer. I will buy the sheet of Doable and try to get some close up shots of the surface for those of you lucky ones who can actually get the Doable Board.

If anyone is interested after I post the screen shots, I may be willing to buy extra sheets, roll them, and ship them at your cost. I will post the SKU number also for those who want to try and order them from HD.
post #279 of 1172 Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Silver-
To be honest with you, it doesn't sound like you have do-able. It really sounds like PP's Polywall. Is the UPC# 637553000012, SKU 179646? If so, that's poly.
Do-able definitely can't be rolled. -j
post #280 of 1172 Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

This has to be my all time favorite japanese anime film: Kaze no Tane no Nausicaa by Hayao Miyazaki. Translates to: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Years ago I had the butchered Disney version of this film titled: "Warriors of the Wind". Wow, what a travesty to this film that was!
Any of you seen Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away? You'll know what I'm talking about
If any of you get the chance to see/rent this, do so!

-j
post #281 of 1172 Old 02-01-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman00 View Post

This has to be my all time favorite japanese anime film: Kaze no Tane no Nausicaa by Hayao Miyazaki. Translates to: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Years ago I had the butchered Disney version of this film titled: "Warriors of the Wind". Wow, what a travesty to this film that was!
Any of you seen Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away? You'll know what I'm talking about
-j

I adore Studio Ghibli anime like Nausicaa, and Princess Mononoke, and Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away, and Kiki Delivery Service, and Porco Rosso and ... more .
Sometimes I even join my kid to watch Totoro, which I consider to be one of the children anime masterpieces.

P.S. They must look great on the Do-Able screen. Alas, mine is not mounted yet...
post #282 of 1172 Old 02-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

I stand corrected. Disney didn't butcher the Nausicaa film, New World Pictures did in 1985.
Oh yes, Castle, Kiki, Totoro, and the others are just wonderful!
OK, back on topic... they all look great on Do-able!-j
post #283 of 1172 Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Bl-
Get that puppy mounted and get some screenies here! -j
post #284 of 1172 Old 02-02-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

-j

Is spirited away the one where the kids parents get turned into pigs? That one was awesome, and the crazy witch lady with the big nose was cool.

I have Nausicca nad Monoke but still have to watch them...

I like movie anime like Ghost in the Shell and Ninja scroll.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #285 of 1172 Old 02-02-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

So my previous attempt in getting some doable resulted in a piece with scratches to the finish that showed up during pans and bright sections.

So I went back yesterday determined to get a good piece. I arrived to find they had 6 pieces left on the bottom shelf so I called my buddy up with the truck and asked him to meet me there.

While he was on his way (about 20 minutes) I started going through the stack determined to find the perfect piece.

I pulled each piece out, laid it on top of one of those big rolly carts they have and spent a good 5 minutes looking at it from extreme angles to watch the sheen of the overhead lights. I found one flaw throughout which was that the binding straps had causes a sort of flat shiny spot on the edges from the pressure and probably some vibration. I had to let that go and in truth it was barely visible.

So I sat there rotating board after board watching the sheen of the overhead lights and kept finding imperfections... a little scratch here, a dimple there... finally after half an hour (he was late with the truck) I had it narrowed down to 2 pieces.

Both had a little something wrong but I managed to borrow a measuring tape and figured if I had them cut it just right I could cut off almost all the problems and be with the right sized board.

The guy who did the cutting assumed that the board was 4x8 (because it was listed as such) and cut it down to 43 inches tall by measuring down 5 inches from the top and cutting it off. I loaded it up and was on my way out when I decided to measure it one more time to double check him... turns out that board is an inch big each way (probably as a safety margine) so I had to have him recut 1 inch off.

A lot of hassle between getting it home and such but finally got it up and mounted... no scratches, looks great... I am not going to scrutinze this anymore to find scratches but I think I got it down right.

Now I have just have to get the frame setup...

So far VERY happy with the doable screen. The one with scratches performed really well and this one does the same minus scratches. The sparkly shinyness is great for the whites and despite being a lighter white than the walls around it the blacks don't seem to suffer too much.

Also a bonus I really like is that when projecting directly onto the wall light spill was really bad since I had no frame. Now that the board means the projected surface is a good half inch off the wall light spill on the surrounding wall seems to be significantly less!

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

post #286 of 1172 Old 02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Deve-
Yes, that's spirited Away.

Wow, they only had six peices left?! They usually come 50 to a stack. And, wasn't that a relatively new stack?

Glad you're happy with the final peice though.-j
post #287 of 1172 Old 02-02-2006, 04:22 PM

SkymanOO-
My initial reaction was the same, that this was not Doable. This may a different product from the same company, Doable, however the tag said it was made by Doable. Like I said, it was material similar to vinyl flooring. Whether it is actually good for projecting on to after laminating it to some hard board has yet to be seen.

I will ask the guy at Home Depot the next time I am there to run the SKU to make sure that it is actually made by Doable like the tag says. If it is made by them, them I will buy it and test it, then post screen shots. If it has the same results, then maybe everyone can have a Doable screen via shipping the sheets rolled and packed in a tube.

Let's keep our fingers crossed, at least I am. I don't think that it is a coincidence that the material is similar to Doable Board, but flexible, especially when the tag reads "Do-Able".
post #288 of 1172 Old 02-02-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Deve-
Yes, that's spirited Away.

Wow, they only had six peices left?! They usually come 50 to a stack. And, wasn't that a relatively new stack?

Glad you're happy with the final peice though.-j

This place sells through them like crazy apparently...

I think the stack was like 30 when I saw it new but it was down to about 12 3 days later, down to 6 after another 5 days.

Lots of home theater people in my area maybe? I actually met someone in HD who overheard me mentioning I was making a screen, and it turns out he bought a refurb 4805 with 100" screen from QVC...

post #289 of 1172 Old 02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Silver-
One thing about HD is that they make their own shelf tags and hang them in odd places that sometimes don't correspond with the product. See post #5 on the 1st page of this thread. BTW, what is the UPC #?

Deve-
Those are some brisk sales! I was talking to HD HQ and trying to explain to them what kind of sales they were missing out on by not having this product in all of their stores. This thread is approaching 10K views. I know alot of them are repeat views, but still that would be alot of do-able sales and some good cha-ching for HD! -j
post #290 of 1172 Old 02-02-2006, 11:59 PM

I picked up a sheet of this stuff for my barco 800 and it looks great, my only problem is I had to shrink my screen size way down, does anyone know of any similar product that gives the same results that comes in 10'x5' sheets?
post #291 of 1172 Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

As stated in post #2, pg1: "can live with a 100" dia.(16:9 AR, 49" X 87", even wider if you go 2.35:1) or smaller...."
That's one of the unfortunate things about do-able; doesn't come in a 10 x 5 sht. Sorry.
But, good to know it works well with your crt. -j
post #292 of 1172 Old 02-03-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi I have nothing important to say,I just wanted to see if I can have my name on as many threads as mm at once

I do have to say I back your cause

Melamine sheets and vinyl board sheets all come in 5' by 10' the places to look are specialty hardware stores and custom cabinet shops, they buy oversize and will probably be willing to help .

Bruce
post #293 of 1172 Old 02-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Good one Bruce, LOL! At least you kept it short!

But seriously ppl, while those specialty shops do carry oversized peices of melamine or vinyl, that doesn't mean they are the same as do-able. Do-able has a specific textured surface that makes for such good PQ. Not all melamine/vinyl boards will have this exact surface texture. thus, all the sanding and painting that we've read about on the other threads.

Just a word of caution. -j
post #294 of 1172 Old 02-03-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

skyman ok then the cheaper cabinet shops will have the doable products then

I am not sure what you mean by all the sanding and painting . The doable boards I have looked at in HD to me have too much texture to make a good screen .

There are different brands of melamine and some have a duller finish which I think is a better solution .

I'll go read what you mean about the sanding .

Bruce
post #295 of 1172 Old 02-03-2006, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Regular melamine has too much of a gloss to it which would lead to hotspotting.

Because of the slight texture on the Do-able board, hotspotting is not an issue.

I don't think you are looking at real Do-able boards.

Everyone that has purchased one, says that the picture is outstanding.
post #296 of 1172 Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Exactly Rahl.
And, do-able doesn't have a melamine finish. Originally I thought this too, but was corrected by Frank at Do-able HQ in Chino, CA. This board has a vinyl finish to one side.

As stated in post #5:
"Are there similar boards in the same area that ppl could easily mistake for Do-able? Sure, easy mistake to make...
If your HD doesn't have this SKU and model numbered product then don't buy something "similar" and think you're buying Do-able. Simple as that."

Insert "Specialty Cabinet Shop" in place of HD here. -j
post #297 of 1172 Old 02-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, rather than haul this thing all the way back to Home Depot, I'm giving away my Do-able board for free! I decided that I need something bigger, despite the fantastic image I was getting on this board. It measures 49x87" so you will need a truck or large SUV to haul this away. I am located near San Francisco, PM me if interested. Cheers.
post #298 of 1172 Old 02-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Nice offer fugue! Sounds like you were very happy with the PQ, albeit a little small for your taste.
BTW, what pj are you using? -j
post #299 of 1172 Old 02-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice offer fugue! Sounds like you were very happy with the PQ, albeit a little small for your taste.
BTW, what pj are you using? -j

I'm currently using an Infocus SP5000 but am looking to upgrade to an AE900 or HD72.
post #300 of 1172 Old 02-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Me too... Panny900. -j
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page