The Official Untreated Do-able Only Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 1172 Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Likes_Games's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tehachapi, CA
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Isn't the Sintra a "ready to hang and shoot" solution? I'm hoping it is!

I've been using the Do-able board with my Mits HD1000U for several years now with (almost) no regrets... Due to my room configuration, I had to hang mine suspended from the ceiling in front of my cabinet/shelves with my components.

I tried to stiffen the board by gluing on some aluminum right angle "L" channels in a pattern on the back with liquid nails. (The top aluminum channel is where I drilled into and hang it from.) This didn't completely make it flat...

I often remove and stow the screen to reveal/use an LCD TV behind it. My two issues are 1) it's pretty heavy/awkward and 2) even with the stiffening channels it warps sometimes depending on temperature and/or humidity.

Since I've been thinking about a 1080p projector (BenQ W1070) it appears that if I want to keep my same PJ ceiling mount and screen placement, that the W1070 will shoot a bigger image than the Do-able screen can handle. Sooo... I started thinking about a new screen...

Enter Sintra. I've not seen it in person, but it sounds like it would be much lighter than the board I've got now. I wouldn't mind painting it I guess, but it sure would be nice if it had a white surface like the Do-able. I just really like the image I get out of this board... Never seen the Sintra in person... maybe I can find a scap of it somewhere to compare?

I made this work for my situation, and it's been great... If you're thinking of trying this - I highly recommend it.

How DARE you question my ignorance!?!
Mark_Likes_Games is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 1172 Old 04-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Newbie
 
wootpiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I just want to say thank you to everyone that participated in this thread and all of the helpful suggestions I got from it. 

 

I went with a 16:9 aspect ratio on mine after finding an absolutely perfect piece of do-able at home depot. I also bought a 1/4" thick piece of plywood.  The other items I purchased were 8ft of black velvet from hancock fabrics, two tubes of 8x strength loctite, a can of spray adhesive , two pieces of 2 1/2" mdf to make the french cleat, one piece of 1 1/2" to use as a spacer , and finally 4 pieces of 3 1/2" mdf to make the frame.

 

Shopping List:
1x piece 4x8' do-able board (SKU # 174278) ($23.15)
1x piece 15/32 x 4 x 8 (SKU # 915378) ($17.95)
1x 11/16"x1.5"x8' (SKU # 226619) ($3.66 ea)
2x 11/16"x2.5"x8' (SKU # 226510) ($5.32 ea)
4x 11/16"x3.5"x8' (SKU # 242738) ($7.46 ea) You could also do 2x 8' and 1x 10' which would save you about $5. The 10' is $9.57 (SKU # 242741)
2x Loctite Premium Adhesive (SKU # 908537) ($7.85 ea)
1x 3M Spray Adhesive (SKU # 364533) ($9.99)
8' black velvet from hancock fabricks ($23)

 

Total = $133.93 + tax

 

1. To start, I used one tube of the loctite to fasten the plywood to the back of the do-able to increase stability and give a deeper surface to fasten the french cleat to.

2. I then cut a 1/8" dato into each of the pieces of trim. At the ends I took half of the thickness off the back of the top and bottom and half off the front of the sides. 

 

3. I used the can of spray adhesive to spray the velvet and the trim and wrapped the velvet about 1" around the back. Using a razor blade I then cut the velvet inside the dado to allow the do-able board to trap it into the recess.
4. At the corners, I used some more of the loctite adhesive to hold the frame together and then folded the velvet over. 
I used more loctite adhesive and 1" screws to fasten the french cleat and spacer onto the back of the screen.

5. I stapled the velvet into place on the back and then ran black duct tape over it to keep it from fraying.

(puggle included for proportions)

 

 

 

It ended up being a little more time consuming than I expected with ~16 hours from start to completion over a two day span. 

 

I'm using a BenQ W1070 that I purchased for $677. So all in all I have about $825 into the entire system and I can't believe how great it is working out. I switched from a 52" LCD so it's pretty much 4x the size. I have two windows in the room that it is set up in but I have a piece of foam board that I cut out and put between the blinds and the window on the larger of the two. This keeps the ambient light from being overwhelming.

Bachelor likes this.
wootpiggy is offline  
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off