Laminate Screen Material and Testing! - Page 28 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What are your screen requirements? (Pick as many as apply)
I want something that is easy to install. 422 18.49%
I want something as inexpensive as possible. 370 16.21%
I want something less than $100. 269 11.79%
I am willing to spend whatever amount is needed as long as it's the best. 66 2.89%
I want a simple one can painted screen option. 68 2.98%
I want an advanced paint mix screen option. 51 2.23%
I want a single material screen option. 289 12.66%
I want something durable. 270 11.83%
I want an ambient light screen. 244 10.69%
I have light control and want a white screen. 233 10.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2282. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2849 Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum0n3 View Post

Which color would you guys recommend for a low lumen\\contrast projector?

What projector? Give me details on the lumens/contrast and what screen size you want to go with
Fashion Grey might be too dark for low lumens.

My Screen Sample Testing:
Thread: 25+ Screen Samples - Testing w/ AE900U
Screen Shots: My AVS Gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2849 Old 11-06-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-O View Post

BTW, how do you embed the photos instead of them appearing as links and what are the best size to post? I read through the FAQs but did not see how. Thanks.

Johnny-O

Nice job on the screen and that's a great idea. As for the pics I uses webshots others use photobucket. I store my pics in a folder on a free webshots account and they have a tool there that makes the URL code for you to embed a photo I like to do thumbnails and then people can just click them and see the full size pic. Most post these links to huge pics and it makes the pages load slower for everyone.

Here is a example of a link with a thumbnail of mine you should be able to click on and it will take you to webshots also

Bud

post #813 of 2849 Old 11-06-2006, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
I'm waiting to hear back from someone before I start up the Laminate Screen Showcase thread, hopefully he'll get back to me soon and I'll create that thread.

I haven't abandoned this thread incase anyone is wondering about the Gray thread I have going. In order to find a top coat for the gray laminates I need to find the right gray, and then what to use with it for a top coating that will not alter the base color of the laminate... so the two threads are interrelated. I'm checking to see if a gray can be made in the same shade as Fashion Grey. That's the first gray laminate I plan on trying a top coating on. If it works, I'll expand it out to the other grays.

This isn't anything people need to wait on, the laminates alone are an excellent option, I'm just trying to find a way to take their performance to the next level is all. In all honesty, there probably isn't going to be any major results for a coating for probably three months. (The holidays put a pinch on buying screen supplies to experiment with) I am starting some tests now, but unless I stumble on something, I don't expect anything conclusive right away.

Bill

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #814 of 2849 Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

OK,

Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet, so sorry if it has since I couldn't find what I needed.

My set up requires a "swing up" screen that rests against the ceiling. (I like to see out the window when the HT is not in use. So obviously it needs to be light and I'm assuming that the WilsonArt is just that.

1. Will this material pass light through the back side? I wouldn't think so, but I wanted to verify.

2. Those of you that are familiar....Would it be possible to make a wood frame and attach the WilsonArt to it and it still retain its "rigidity"? I don't want it to warp, bow or anything like that since it won't be mounted to a wall, but rather hanging from the ceiling.

3. Is it possible to get samples of any decent size? 15"x15" Does anyone have any leftovers they would be willing to part with for testing purposes?

Thanks for the help,
Rob

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #815 of 2849 Old 11-08-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post

OK,

Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet, so sorry if it has since I couldn't find what I needed.

My set up requires a "swing up" screen that rests against the ceiling. (I like to see out the window when the HT is not in use. So obviously it needs to be light and I'm assuming that the WilsonArt is just that.

1. Will this material pass light through the back side? I wouldn't think so, but I wanted to verify.

2. Those of you that are familiar....Would it be possible to make a wood frame and attach the WilsonArt to it and it still retain its "rigidity"? I don't want it to warp, bow or anything like that since it won't be mounted to a wall, but rather hanging from the ceiling.

3. Is it possible to get samples of any decent size? 15"x15" Does anyone have any leftovers they would be willing to part with for testing purposes?

Thanks for the help,
Rob

I don't have my special order Wilsonart Designer White yet. I'm waiting delivery from my local Home Depot. But the 2" x 3" sample I have seems to indicate it won't pass light through the material. Regarding the frame, I constructed an aluminum frame from 1" sq aluminum tubing using angle brackets to fasten it together. It's plenty rigid and should work for your swing up screen.
post #816 of 2849 Old 11-08-2006, 04:25 PM

OK i have received my samples but I need to clarify the finish.

I received 2 samples of DW, one is labelled d354-60 and has a textured finish, it is a small sample with a brownish backing and rigid. The other sample I have is a larger sample and is labelled "Designer White matte" (no code) but has a smooth finish and no backing and is not as rigid as the textured one. Can someone tell me if the laminate should be a smooth finish or a textured finish? I have a feeling they sent me the high gloss version and labelled it incorrectly

BTW - I also have the fashion grey but only in a textured finish.

cheers,
Rob
post #817 of 2849 Old 11-08-2006, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

OK,

If you are going to swing it up, you will have the face of the screen (the side that is white) against the ceiling. Unfortunately the back side of laminate (think formica) is usually brown or a darker color.

You could probably sandwich two pieces together with the dark sides facing each other so that the back would be white also, or you could try painting the back side of the laminate white.
post #818 of 2849 Old 11-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:

FWIW, I have a small piece of DW remaining after the construction of my screen last weekend. The piece is approximately 61" x 12" large.

If anyone wants it to experiment with (and will pay shipping from NC), send me a message.

-j
post #819 of 2849 Old 11-09-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schottjy View Post

FWIW, I have a small piece of DW remaining after the construction of my screen last weekend. The piece is approximately 61" x 12" large.

If anyone wants it to experiment with (and will pay shipping from NC), send me a message.

-j

In discussion with schottjy, I found out that scrap material may be difficult to roll up for shipping. In my situation all I really want is something that will give me a better idea than the tiny samples hanging in the store. I just returned from my local post office and the postman said that one of the better ways to ship something flat is the get one of their priority mail boxes (for free) and slide the material in. Do not "assemble" the box, just tape up the ends. The box he handed me could accept a piece about 14 3/4" x 19", and the rate would be $4.05 as long as it isn't over a pound.

So, I've contacted schottjy about the DW, but I'm very interested in how the FG would look in my situation. If anyone has scrap material in the fashion grey, and can cut or score and snap a piece off and send it to me, I would greatly appreciate it. Please contact me and I will send $ for postage. Thanks.
post #820 of 2849 Old 11-09-2006, 05:02 PM

For those interested, here's another update on Fashion Grey vs. GreyHawk

Fashion Grey is in fact a tad darker than Stewart's GreyHawk. It's closer to the darkness of the Draper HiDef Grey.

WilsonArt Grey on the other hand is a better match to the GreyHawk, but may be a tad bit lighter. It's still darker than the HCCV though

So, listed from darkest to lightest:
Draper HiDef Grey
WilsonArt Fashion Grey
Stewart GreyHawk
WilsonArt Grey
DaLite HCCV

These observations are with some ambient light in the room, and an image being projected.

post #821 of 2849 Old 11-09-2006, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Interesting observations and testing. Color wise without an image projected, Fashion Grey looks to be closer to the Grayhawk than Grey... but the true test is with an image up on the screen. This goes in the direction of my thinking colors are a great foundation and although I still like the look of Fashion Grey, just as SS is too dark for some Fashion Grey could be too. Another member felt that Fashion Grey was a very close match to a Grayhawk, but projectors also come into play when testing and evaluating.

Top coatings though could be the biggest breakthrough in DIY in my opinion. As jberylec pointed out, projected image is what matters. I think Fashion Grey can be improved to an even higher level with a top coating, but if that applies... Grey will benefit as well as all the laminate colors.

jberylec how big are the samples you are testing and how are they fairing in your overall comparisons with the other 25 screen materials? It made me feel kinda good to see some of the laminates listed among the list screen materials you are testing. If they even come in at respectable comparisons that is a big validation for them seeing the cost vs performance factor between the materials. I honestly believe laminates are a simple and very cost effective way to make a screen. I've had several painted screens, and a Designer White screen temporarily up now, and soon will have a full size Fashion Grey screen.

post #822 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxdude View Post

In my situation all I really want is something that will give me a better idea than the tiny samples hanging in the store.

My Local HD has 3'x4' sheets of Wilsonart laminate that you can buy for $11 or so. I have purchased a couple of colors ... and then returned them when I was done testing with them.

Frosty white was a bit better than my Parkland, unfortunately they don't have a 3x4 sample of Designer white. I am going to head back and check to see if they have any grey samples.

Better yet, my local HD had 4'x8' sheets in stock, they are also returnable.

GL
post #823 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 AM

Well i got my screen built last night and got a chance to light it up. I think it looks great! I'm very happy with all the color levers, and no hot spoting what so ever. I also got to play with my new Panny ax100 . The AX100 and the wilsonart DW is a great pair, oh yea I'm running a 123" screen, and the pj is 18' off the screen. Just want to give a quick thanks to everyone that has had a hand in the testing of laminate, and posting your reviews.. It made the DIY part ten times easier.
post #824 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

does anyone have the sku# for wilsonart laminate at home depot? i asked for wilsonart laminate and basically get a no. from what i have heard most every home depot should carry this product. i need to tell them a part number if possible, thx.
post #825 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Nate-
HD's SKU for Wilsonart D354-60 is: 741272 -j
post #826 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU View Post

does anyone have the sku# for wilsonart laminate at home depot? i asked for wilsonart laminate and basically get a no. from what i have heard most every home depot should carry this product. i need to tell them a part number if possible, thx.

Many won't have it in stock, but they can special order it for you.

GL
post #827 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett View Post

...jberylec how big are the samples you are testing and how are they fairing in your overall comparisons with the other 25 screen materials? It made me feel kinda good to see some of the laminates listed among the list screen materials you are testing. If they even come in at respectable comparisons that is a big validation for them seeing the cost vs performance factor between the materials. I honestly believe laminates are a simple and very cost effective way to make a screen. I've had several painted screens, and a Designer White screen temporarily up now, and soon will have a full size Fashion Grey screen...

I'm just using the little samples. But their enough because I move them around and make sure to look at all kinds of colors and textures projected onto them. Suites, sweaters, water, sky, grass, etc.

Not only are the WilsonArt's contenders, but they are VERY strong contenders. It's really hard to believe that for $100 bucks and a Saturday afternoon you can actually have a screen that is just as good as any others I'm testing (for my environment and tastes anyhow)

post #828 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah it took me a week to paint one of my screens. Not because it was hard or I wasn't comfortable painting, with my work schedule I could only put one coat on after work. I'd have to wait for it to dry of course before putting the next coat on, and by then I had to crash. That's when I first used the 'freeze your roller' trick, otherwise I was going through rollers like crazy.

Designer was an afternoon project and it was done.

post #829 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Yeah it took me a week to paint one of my screens. Not because it was hard or I wasn't comfortable painting, with my work schedule I could only put one coat on after work. I'd have to wait for it to dry of course before putting the next coat on, and by then I had to crash. That's when I first used the 'freeze your roller' trick, otherwise I was going through rollers like crazy.

Designer was an afternoon project and it was done.

Just a side note - I came across a technique for preserving rollers for short term delays - wrap them up in a plastic garbage bag - leave 'em right on the roller. In fact, I left one for over a month this way and had no problems ! Mind you, the Designer option is still better and one that I am going to investigate as well when the time comes
post #830 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

anyone know the sku for lowes on a DW matte in a 5'x8' size?

Had been keeping up with this thread but lost touch and forgot some too, but did anyone try liquid nails to attach to a 2x4 "box" shape, I was thinking of this and the 2x4 would be on edge so that the narrow (1.5" side) would be attached with the liquid nails or other material.
post #831 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

jberylec -
Have you not checked out $15.00 Do-able yet, or am I missing something here? Need something larger? Just curious... -j

Edit: Nevermind, I read your other thread on 25+ test samples.
post #832 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post

anyone know the sku for lowes on a DW matte in a 5'x8' size?

Had been keeping up with this thread but lost touch and forgot some too, but did anyone try liquid nails to attach to a 2x4 "box" shape, I was thinking of this and the 2x4 would be on edge so that the narrow (1.5" side) would be attached with the liquid nails or other material.

Go back to the kitchen center and find the main person that works there. Sometimes they go on break and get someone from another department to sit there, and depending on how 'motivated' that person is they have been known to tell people that they don't carry Wilsonart. That is completely false because I have talked to the sales department and the people in the lab about this product, and sales assures me every Home Depot can order it. Also check other local Home Depot's because they have been known to charge wildly different prices between store only 20 miles apart. You can also go to the Wilsonart site and do a look up on all the local dealers and distributors. A lot of times if you can find one that will sell directly to consumers you will get a better price than what Home Depot or Lowes is selling it for. I think the cheapest price found and reported was around $54 for a 5x8 sheet, it may have even been a 5x10... I'd have to go back and look it up.

I don't know what their internal sku # is, but if you get the person that actually works in the kitchen and countertop area and tell them you want D354-60 they will be able to look it up and know exactly what you are asking for. Make sure the numbers are right and that it has the '-60' at the end. That is very important because that denotes the surface of the laminate-- in this case -60 means the matte finish. Whether you want Designer White, Fashion Grey, or Grey, they all have the same finish types, so make sure it's -60.

From there you need to tell them what size sheet you need. The max size screen you can make with a 5x8 sheet will be a 54x96 screen. You can get this all the way up to 5x10 which would max out at a 60x107 screen, or 122" diagonal.

If you only need a 98" diagonal screen and are one of the lucky ones that has Do-able in your area, definitely check into that. At $15 and the same gain and color specs as Designer White you can't go wrong.

post #833 of 2849 Old 11-10-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

mr70ss,

Do you have any ambient light in the room?

What color are the walls, ceiling, and furnicture?

What brightness mode are you running the projector in?

Thanks

Ambient light that I can not control no, but i can view the screen just fine will all my lights on.

My walls and ceiling flat dark gray.

As of right now I'm running in econo, so far don't have a reason to change it.
post #834 of 2849 Old 11-11-2006, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

The max size screen you can make with a 5x8 sheet will be a 54x96 screen. You can get this all the way up to 5x10 which would max out at a 60x107 screen, or 122" diagonal.

Actually up to 5x12 (at least online, unless something has changed), which can get you up to a 60x141 2.35:1 screen, 153" diagonal (although 5x10 is the max that's useful for 16:9 screens).
post #835 of 2849 Old 11-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Guys... I went to HD to look at samples of laminate. Obviously the best thing to do is test out samples with your PJ. Aside from that, which colors do you guys perfer and why?

1) Designer White (D315-60)
2) Frosty White (1573-60)
3) Grey (1500-60)
4) Platinum (D315-60)
5) Fashion Grey (D381-60)
6) Dove Grey (D92-60)

I've gathered so far Designer White and Fashion Grey tend to be the favorite... but please give your input. Please include any pertinate info that lead to you your decision... PJ used, ambient light conditions (controlled or uncontrolled), wall/ceiling/floor color, seating distance and layout, screen size and throw distance are useful info.

Maybe we should do a separate thread with this as a poll?

Krister
post #836 of 2849 Old 11-11-2006, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post

Guys... I went to HD to look at samples of laminate. Obviously the best thing to do is test out samples with your PJ. Aside from that, which colors do you guys perfer and why?

1) Designer White (D315-60)
2) Frosty White (1573-60)
3) Grey (1500-60)
4) Platinum (D315-60)
5) Fashion Grey (D381-60)
6) Dove Grey (D92-60)

I've gathered so far Designer White and Fashion Grey tend to be the favorite... but please give your input. Please include any pertinate info that lead to you your decision... PJ used, ambient light conditions (controlled or uncontrolled), wall/ceiling/floor color, seating distance and layout, screen size and throw distance are useful info.

Maybe we should do a separate thread with this as a poll?

I personally don't want to get a half dozen threads going. If it looks hard to find the information in here, it gets even harder when it's spread out like that. Plus the information would start to drift. I'll rework the first post and update it with links to some of these questions.

There was a roll call done that answers what you are looking for, and there will be a thread created solely for screen a screen 'showcase' and people can list their impressions and why they went with a particular color in there. All testing and data will still be in here though.

Earlier in the thread there was actual spectrophotometer tests done as well as gain test on the most promising looking samples. Frosty White was never tested for color or gain. The sample didn't look as good as the other whites. So I can't say anything about it. As far as Wilsonart goes Designer White is the recommended white.

Nobody has used Dove Grey yet, it is a dark gray and would require a projector with a higher lumen output. Platinum is also on the darker side and has never been used as a screen either that I know of.

post #837 of 2849 Old 11-11-2006, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Actually up to 5x12 (at least online, unless something has changed), which can get you up to a 60x141 2.35:1 screen, 153" diagonal (although 5x10 is the max that's useful for 16:9 screens).

True Brad... I tend to think 16:9 since that's the most common screen setup, but you are right, someone could make a 2.35:1 screen out of this, even a torus 2.35:1 if they wanted to.

post #838 of 2849 Old 11-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

I would love to get this but too bad nobody in Texas carries do-able. Can this stuff be shipped easily? If so does anyone have some around them that I can buy and ship down here? I will still be searching for DW at HD though. However, my local HD is completely useless and they act like laminate is a foreign word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman00 View Post

jberylec -
Have you not checked out $15.00 Do-able yet, or am I missing something here? Need something larger? Just curious... -j

Edit: Nevermind, I read your other thread on 25+ test samples.

post #839 of 2849 Old 11-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

I've been going though the thread post by post... damn it takes a long time! It seems like DW is the way to go if ambient light can be controlled. If not, Fashion Grey is probably the best (even though it has a blue push). I wonder how good Platinum is. Although I'm only on page 23, it seems like nobody has tested it.

Krister
post #840 of 2849 Old 11-11-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post

I've been going though the thread post by post... damn it takes a long time! It seems like DW is the way to go if ambient light can be controlled. If not, Fashion Grey is probably the best (even though it has a blue push). I wonder how good Platinum is. Although I'm only on page 23, it seems like nobody has tested it.

There isn't a blue push in Fashion Grey, it's 195 188 194, which is a very nice color curve. SS comes in at 207 202 215, which very clearly shows it leans toward blue.

According to the spectro tests Fashion Grey actually looks to lean a little towards red. This is been discussed some that a slight red could possibly help with incandescent lighting while watching a movie or TV.

You're right, nobody has tested Platinum or Dove Grey yet. There is more and more interest in darker grays though, but this is a little too expensive to get large sheets just for testing. Eventually there will be some full screen testing done, but right now those two are still in the 'unknown' status.

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page