Laminate Screen Material and Testing! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What are your screen requirements? (Pick as many as apply)
I want something that is easy to install. 423 18.52%
I want something as inexpensive as possible. 370 16.20%
I want something less than $100. 269 11.78%
I am willing to spend whatever amount is needed as long as it's the best. 68 2.98%
I want a simple one can painted screen option. 68 2.98%
I want an advanced paint mix screen option. 51 2.23%
I want a single material screen option. 289 12.65%
I want something durable. 270 11.82%
I want an ambient light screen. 244 10.68%
I have light control and want a white screen. 234 10.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2284. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2849 Old 08-27-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedeal View Post

Nevamar makes what they claim is a neutral gray - Studio Gray

Studio gray

I know this isn't accurate but a quick look in PS from their sample image shows:

R: 200
G: 200
B: 200

Maybe Prof can analyze? I would be glad to send a sample, or their website has a free order form.

Most HD and Lowes will special order Nevamar.

Any idea how much per square foot Lowes and Home Depot charges?

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2849 Old 08-27-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett View Post

Any idea how much per square foot Lowes and Home Depot charges?

Not off-hand. I plan to call the local distributor tomorrow to get a current price (cost). I haven't rep'ed this product in a few years so my cost tables are useless. Will update then.
post #93 of 2849 Old 08-27-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Right now from a purely visual comparison, when I hold the samples up next to my Silver Screen 'screen' Fashion Grey is very close but just a shade lighter. This means it probably still has the blue push that Silver Screen has.

Right now we all know with light control or evening viewing (for those of us that need it the most I should say) Designer White will work, we need more data and testing on the grays.

Until we get all that data and information, Designer is the only color I can comfortably recommend. HG57 also has an alternative in the Pionite suede finish, but that's not available in my area (seems like hardly anything is available up here!)

I hope that answered your question along with a reason why Designer is the recommendation....

Thanks for the input wbassett. I'm concerned by the relatively low, by present standards, contrast ratio of 1300:1 for my Panasonic 500U. I know that these ratios are hard to compare, but it must be signicantly different from the 5500:1 of the 900U that has been discussed in this thread.

Given the lower contrast projector that I have, I'm inclined to order the Fashion Grey instead of the Designer White. I think this makes sense, feel free to correct me if you think this projector with good light control can handle the Designer White laminate. Can't wait until I order one of these very soon!

Thanks for all your posts, I've learned a lot from them.

Tsutomu
post #94 of 2849 Old 08-28-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhammon View Post

That was until I ran across this thread and the Designer White Laminate by Wilsonart. I ordered my 5'x10' sheet today, it will be in on Thursday and I hope to get everything up and running over the Labor Day weekend (I'll need to make a new boarder for this screen and I need to find a 40% JoAnn's Fabric coupon between now and then!).

The 5'x10' sheet was $80, plus $15 shipping and handling, then tax (6% in Michigan), so total was $100.70. I figure this way I can always still paint my BOC screen or even this laminate if I so desire.

Next question is... do I make a 2 1/4" or a 3" boarder on this screen? My current screen (105") has only a 3/4" boarder which isn't near enough of a real boarder. I plan on using the MDF primed casing at Home Depot... the 2 1/4" high stuff is only $0.69 / ft and the 3" stuff is $1.06 a ft.

Ordered mine last night, same price, except for tax in Tx (8.25).

I have the same question about the borders. Good to see the prices from one HD to the another in another state are the same...

Dustoff00
post #95 of 2849 Old 08-28-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff View Post

Ordered mine last night, same price, except for tax in Tx (8.25).

I have the same question about the borders. Good to see the prices from one HD to the another in another state are the same...

Up here in NY they are charging me the same price for a 5x8 that you guys are getting a 5x10... but I have become used to that up here.

post #96 of 2849 Old 08-28-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I went ahead and had the gentleman at Home Depot give the Designer White a check on their machine (not the one the public can use at the Behr stand, but the "behind the counter" version they use to mix paint with.

These are the results for a color match according to my local Home Depot:

Colorant / 48ths of an ounce / 96ths of an ounce

Lamp Black / 2 / 1
Raw Umber / 2 / 0

I've been looking at various paints and their formulations... I found one off the shelf with is simply Lamp Black (Behr Twilight Gray, though I seem to recall from readings on here that gives a blue push due to some component of the lamp black, please correct me if I am wrong)

The HD machine is not that accurate. When you are painting a room or a house, you only need to be in the ballpark. I posted my results earlier in the thread and pure white is based on titanium dioxide. TD is the most common white pigment used. I am beginning to believe that our perception of white is based more off of TD then what pure white should be. Barium Sulfate is the most accurate white pigment available as far as reflecting the entire visible spectrum. TD falls off on the bottom cliping blue slightly.

Ericglo

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #97 of 2849 Old 08-31-2006, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wilsonart got back to me already with the LAB information:

Grey L* 79.81 a* .79 b* 5.06
Dove Grey L* 62.28 a* - .051 b* 1.56
Platinum L* 75.28 a* - .06 b* .77
Fashion Grey L* 78.76 a* - .25 b* 1.16
Pewter L* 36.33 a* -12.55 b* .17
Designer White L* 92.62 a* - .42 b* - .32
White L* 89.05 a* - .79 b* -4.51

The Pewter may be wrong because the sample number they gave me doesn't match the color number on the sample. It really doesn't matter because the main colors interested in are Designer White, Fashion Grey, Dove Grey, and Grey.

Pewter is the wrong code, the numbers come out to be a dark green.

Prof is working on the cross checking, so I decided to edit this and wait couple more days to get those formal results.

We know the CIEL*ab color values are correct because they came straight from the guys in the color lab at Wilsonart, so no guessing there. Wilsonart provided me with a website that you can plug in the L*ab values and it converts it to the RGB equivalent. Prof has all the samples on the way to him to double check, and Ericglo could probably also double check these values, but right now I think the data is pretty accurate since these are not analyzed samples but data straight from the people that actually make this stuff.

Someone asked about using laminates for an outdoor screen, so I did some testing. I soaked some samples in warm water all night to test how it would stand up to rain, dew, or a flood like my test! Neither the front or back showed any signs of peeling or any water damage at all. I wasn't worried about the front, but I didn't know if the back would absorb water and be a problem. Now we know it won't.

Since the samples are all nice and wet, I threw them in the freezer to see how it would hold up if a flood came through and then we were immediately hit with an ice age! Pretty extreme, but I figure if it can hold up to this, then it's pretty durable.

Plus Prof and Ericglo can probably tell someone what this would equate to as a paint, but due to variants in the pigments, it could be slightly off, so I would keep that in mind.

post #98 of 2849 Old 08-31-2006, 09:38 AM

wbassett... thanks for the data from WilsonArt. Let's hope they don't kick up the prices on the 5'x10' sheets now that they know how we want to use their product.

I'm picking up my Designer White sheet today (Home Depot just called me to say it's in) and will be setting up tonight for a test run. I hope to build my boarders and such tonight, and have a nice larger finished screen tomorrow in time for College football kickoff.

Currently I use a Panny 900, in a light controlled room (I have room blackout double cell shades in the windows). The wall the screen is on is a creamy white/yellow, one side wall is the same, the other side wall is the same on the top, with a deep wine red on the bottom. If the thread needs photo's of this sort of setup on this laminate, I can provide, I just didn't want to toss things up here that are not needed or provide no learning.

I'm a big proponent of learning by experimentation (must be the engineer in me)... but understand that just tossing out information isn't always helpful. I'm here to help in any way I can, let me know.
post #99 of 2849 Old 08-31-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:

wbassett... thanks for the data from WilsonArt. Let's hope they don't kick up the prices on the 5'x10' sheets now that they know how we want to use their product.

I'm picking up my Designer White sheet today (Home Depot just called me to say it's in) and will be setting up tonight for a test run. I hope to build my boarders and such tonight, and have a nice larger finished screen tomorrow in time for College football kickoff.

Currently I use a Panny 900, in a light controlled room (I have room blackout double cell shades in the windows). The wall the screen is on is a creamy white/yellow, one side wall is the same, the other side wall is the same on the top, with a deep wine red on the bottom. If the thread needs photo's of this sort of setup on this laminate, I can provide, I just didn't want to toss things up here that are not needed or provide no learning.

I'm a big proponent of learning by experimentation (must be the engineer in me)... but understand that just tossing out information isn't always helpful. I'm here to help in any way I can, let me know.

I have a very similar setup including pj. I will be trying a Formica brand white 949-58 tonight. It has a smoother texture than Wilsonart's, also seems to have a tad more warmth than the designer. Will update.

Also FWIW- if you can order Vertical Grade or Cabinet Liner these are thinner and cost less but for our purposes would be indistinguishable from standard horizontal grade.
post #100 of 2849 Old 08-31-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:

I have a very similar setup including pj. I will be trying a Formica brand white 949-58 tonight. It has a smoother texture than Wilsonart's, also seems to have a tad more warmth than the designer. Will update.

Also FWIW- if you can order Vertical Grade or Cabinet Liner these are thinner and cost less but for our purposes would be indistinguishable from standard horizontal grade.

Yeah I tried that at the local Home Depot... it was all the associate could do to fill out the paper work correctly because they kept trying to sell me a 4'x8' sheet instead of the 5'x10' I wanted.
post #101 of 2849 Old 08-31-2006, 05:28 PM

Hello All.

I've been following this thread with great excitement. I have the in76 and I love it. Would this material work well with my pj? My room is about 18 feet deep and if I place the pj around 16 ft I could do 120" diag. When people say 1.5 screen size for distance of viewer I assume they are refereing to the diagonal size, not horizontal. Is that correct? 120 inch screen: viewer should be 180" (15 feet) from screen)?

Is this too big? (silly question?)

Are you applying the laminate to a 1x3 wood frame?

To attach your border do you screw from back of wood frame into border so that you can see screw heads from the front?

Does anyone have any other hints or suggestions along the way?

I welcome any and all feedback.

I love these boards!!!

Thanks!
post #102 of 2849 Old 08-31-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outflying View Post

Hello All.

Are you applying the laminate to a 1x3 wood frame?

To attach your border do you screw from back of wood frame into border so that you can see screw heads from the front?

Does anyone have any other hints or suggestions along the way?

I welcome any and all feedback.

I love these boards!!!

Thanks!

I'm not sure how I'm hanging mine. I was hoping the laminate would be a bit more sturdy than it is. Right now I'm thinking of using mirror hooks (hangers) to mount the laminte sheet on to the wall. Not those big bulky plastic things people use on door mirrors, but those small silver type bottom mounts you often see used in bathroom mirrors.

I haven't yet decided how to hang the boarder though. I ended up getting 3" pine baseboard instead of the MDF stuff only because the MDF stuff was all warped at my Home Depot and the Pine was straight. The primed Pine was still only $1.06 / ft. while the MDF was $0.89 / ft. so not a huge cost difference and the Pine was straight (more important than the few bucks to me).

I have to wrap my velvet and add my corner braces to the frame, but still thinking about how to mount it. Velcro doesn't seem like it would be strong enough to hold the weight, so if anyone has suggestions on how to mount the laminte and boarder I'm listening (reading).
post #103 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Clarence explains how he hung his on post #50 of this thread. I thought it was only a few posts back but had to look for it myself too...

post #104 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hey Clarence I'm ready to order a 5'x10' sheet for my Zenith Pro 900x CRT but the important question is: How well do kids fingerprints wipe off?!?!?

Two other questions:
- Has anyone tried to cut the material? My size will be 52x92 (106 diagonal) and would like to lop off a bit on the sides at least.
- Anyone attempt to paint the surface (ie masking purposes, hide mounting screws etc?)

Derek
post #105 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

Hey Clarence I'm ready to order a 5'x10' sheet for my Zenith Pro 900x CRT but the important question is: How well do kids fingerprints wipe off?!?!?

Two other questions:
- Has anyone tried to cut the material? My size will be 52x92 (106 diagonal) and would like to lop off a bit on the sides at least.
- Anyone attempt to paint the surface (ie masking purposes, hide mounting screws etc?)

I can answer this one ... Clarence can confirm...
This is same material as your counter top, so it would be the same as that and would wipe off just fine.

MM gave some cutting suggestions which is good advice. You'll need a solid surface and someone to help hold it since it flexes pretty easy. Tiddler I believe has used a metal cutter, I think he described it as looking like a big paper cutter, not tin snips. And you should be able to score it and snap it.

I'll see if Lowes has anything in their project center. If I don't get it posted here soon enough you can check those sites, they usually have tutorials on a variety of projects.

post #106 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 10:02 AM

My screen shot from a few years ago on Formica.

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/a...262&fullpage=1

It's worked fine and still in good shape!

Cleanup's a snap!
post #107 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLife View Post

My screen shot from a few years ago on Formica.

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/a...262&fullpage=1

It's worked fine and still in good shape!

Cleanup's a snap!

What color did you use?
post #108 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Two other questions:

You can also use a plywood sawblade in a circular saw by placing the finished side down and cutting through the laminate into a solid piece of wood. (laminate wedged between the saw shoe and wood)

The best way, by far, is to use a router with a fence, but that may not be available for everyone. (Laminate router bits are only a couple bucks at HD/Lowes)

A DIY method is to use a couple of 1x4s clamped together with the lamiinate sandwiched in between. Then using one of the boards for a fence, running the router along its edge for a smooth straight cut. The bottom of the router bit is blunt so it will slide along the lower board (better bits have a bearing).

I personaly never use two boards, I just clamp the sheet (finish down) to a fence (1x4) and use a roller bit (bearing base) to trim it down. But there is greater room for error this way.
As always you may want to consider your skill level before attempting any of the above.

DD
post #109 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I used Windex and a cloth towel. Worked great. I've never had a better screen... quality, durability, affordability, availability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #110 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

I used Windex and a cloth towel. Worked great. I've never had a better screen... quality, durability, affordability, availability.

Windex and towel?? That is to easy.

On the vertical grade, I have used regular scissors. You should not need the edges to be perfect, since you will be covering them up anyway.

Ericglo

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #111 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finished my durability tests for those that have expressed an interest in using this as an outdoor screen.

As I said in the previous post, I soaked two samples in warm water for 24 hours with no peeling or any sign of water damage at all.

I then put the samples in the freezer since they were already nice and wet, just in case you go through a flood and decide to freeze your screen

The samples were fine, no cracking chipping, I even flexed them see if they were brittle and would snap and they were fine. In fact other than being cold they weren't even wet, no water was absorbed at all.

The one thing I know will damage it is extreme heat. My wife ruined a table that had a wood laminate top by putting a hot pan directly on the table and it caused a big white discolored ring where the pan was... so as long as you're not ironing on your screen, or putting hot pans on it, or setting it on fire it should be fine! Floods and freezing blizzards, just no really hot stuff... so from a durability stand point this is pretty tuff stuff.

post #112 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I finished my durability tests for those that have expressed an interest in using this as an outdoor screen.

As I said in the previous post, I soaked two samples in warm water for 24 hours with no peeling or any sign of water damage at all.

I then put the samples in the freezer since they were already nice and wet, just in case you go through a flood and decide to freeze your screen

The samples were fine, no cracking chipping, I even flexed them see if they were brittle and would snap and they were fine. In fact other than being cold they weren't even wet, no water was absorbed at all.

The one thing I know will damage it is extreme heat. My wife ruined a table that had a wood laminate top by putting a hot pan directly on the table and it caused a big white discolored ring where the pan was... so as long as you're not ironing on your screen, or putting hot pans on it, or setting it on fire it should be fine! Floods and freezing blizzards, just no really hot stuff... so from a durability stand point this is pretty tuff stuff.

I for one am anxiously awaiting the tests on the greys. I am on the fence between Designer White or Fashion Grey (or other variation). I have a light controlled room (pan900) and like the brigtness of the white but part of me is still drawn to the darker blacks I anticipate with the grey. Unfortunately my DIY paint tests with greys have yeilded less than desirable results (color shifts, too dark, etc).

Did you go with Designer White?
post #113 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually I decided to wait myself, especially since the guys at the Wilsonart color lab came through with the data. If for no other reason than to test it out. If for some strange reason it doesn't work, which I think it will be fine, the beauty of this is I have a desk that needs a new top anyway! So if it doesn't work I still have a use for it.

I figure we've seen the Designer in action, so I'll test a grey... just have to finsh the CIEL*ab conversions and cross check the samples, but I sent all those to Prof early this week so he should be getting them soon.

Kinda of interesting screen stuff... works as is, but if someone wanted to paint it they can, or if down the road they want an LF screen they can make something else out of the Wilsonart screen... crazy stuff lol...

post #114 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about UV rays since it will be outside?

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #115 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 12:56 PM

"What color did you use?"

I used "frosted white" if I recall from Home Depot.
I personally had good results without hot-spotting.
My children were young when I got it and tended to be rambunchious and, ya know, prodding little fingers and a thrown toy or two and I woulda had a STROKE if I was using a fabric or theater screen! Formica is tough stuff!
The formica has a dulling finish kinda like a frosted glass. It has a very faint grey tone.
It worked remarkably well with my Panny 300 and still does. Even off center you still get a good picture.
I tried metalic paint, silver spray paint, tile board, et all. All those hot spotted something awful for me.
This was the best solution for me. 4X8 sheet of formica glued to a 4X8sheet of plywood, framed by cove casing board painted flat black. Surrounded by black fabric on all four sides in a basement theater cave.
post #116 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Actually I decided to wait myself, especially since the guys at the Wilsonart color lab came through with the data. If for no other reason than to test it out. If for some strange reason it doesn't work, which I think it will be fine, the beauty of this is I have a desk that needs a new top anyway! So if it doesn't work I still have a use for it.

I figure we've seen the Designer in action, so I'll test a grey... just have to finsh the CIEL*ab conversions and cross check the samples, but I sent all those to Prof early this week so he should be getting them soon.

Kinda of interesting screen stuff... works as is, but if someone wanted to paint it they can, or if down the road they want an LF screen they can make something else out of the Wilsonart screen... crazy stuff lol...

FWIW -
I did some rough (my eyeballs) testing last night between Formica 949-58 (White Matte), Wilsonart D354 (Designer White), Pionite SW813 (Ice White) and a Carada Brilliant White sample. The Formica was 4x8 and the others wer 10"-12" samples. From all I can tell the Formica offers better contrast than the others with only a slight drop in brightness. Designer White was actually the brightest of all (lighter blacks) with the Ice being the darkest overall (ever so slightly dingy) and the Carada sample in between.
I thought it was interesting that Desinger White had poorer contrast than the Formica even though to the eye the Designer looks to be a darker color. I did notice the Formica white does not have a blue/greyish hue whereas the Ice and Designer do.
The formica finish is also much smoother than the others, very close to the Carada sample. Although I can't see any hotspotting I think with just a few more lumens it could occur.
Does Prof have samples of this color? (Formica 949-58)

This is great stuff. Don't know what I would do if I couldn't participate in re-inventing the wheel
post #117 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can see that the White shifts blue and the Frosty shifts yellow, but the Designer seems just right (kinda like the three bears).

So for CRTs Wilsonart Designer White (vs regular White) is the way to go?

Derek
post #118 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sent him some Formica samples, but I can't remember if I sent that specific one.

Ericglo has some experience with Formica. IF you have some data by all means throw it in the mix. There might be a person that can't get one in their area, but something else may be available. This give a lot of flexibility for everyone.

The Pionite screen shots HG put up were incredible, as were Clarence's shots... so we know they both work. The only thing I would ask anyone is if you find something, let's do some testing and try to nail down the color data, then we'll make a chart or list with each company, a list of tested colors, and where to get them... I don't mean anyone has to wait if they want to make a screen out of something, just as far as our data and testing we're putting together.

Durability testing is done though... so far it's a nice screen material, and after WWIII it and cockroaches will be the only thing remaining lol.

Someone could even throw this up and use it as a screen until they get thier paint skills up (rolling or spraying) before they try a painted screen with a high end mix.

post #119 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:

I for one am anxiously awaiting the tests on the greys. I am on the fence between Designer White or Fashion Grey (or other variation). I have a light controlled room (pan900) and like the brigtness of the white but part of me is still drawn to the darker blacks I anticipate with the grey. Unfortunately my DIY paint tests with greys have yeilded less than desirable results (color shifts, too dark, etc).

Did you go with Designer White?

I have a Panny 900 and went with Designer White. In comparison to my BOC screen it's a bit brighter (more gain), however I see no difference in color shift. Besides the fact that I could see where the two screens are, me and my buddy thought the WilsonArt Laminate sheet was simply brighter.

I'm happy with the contrast on my Panny, and since I'll be watching a lot of football this spring (I bought my system just after Superbowl and my first "event" was Daytona 500 in Feb.) which is mainly on during the day... so I choose the Designer White since there will be more light in the room even with the room blackout shades in the basement.

In the end it's what you need... I don't know what screen you have now to compare this to, but if you are unhappy with your black levels I'd love to see how the fashion grey looks on this projector... I'm just not willing to spend another $100 to see it at this point.
post #120 of 2849 Old 09-01-2006, 02:00 PM

i used the wilsonart website to locate a dealer near me (southeastern Michigan, Detoir metro area) and found one. I emailed him for prices and he gave me $71.36 for a 4x8 sheet for Designer White. no shipping, pickup only. but thats the final price, tax included.

he also emailed me right back and was nice. it might be a little pricey (especially for just 4x8) but its good to see that Wilsonart will sell single sheets to the public.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page