Laminate Screen Material and Testing! - Page 57 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What are your screen requirements? (Pick as many as apply)
I want something that is easy to install. 423 18.52%
I want something as inexpensive as possible. 370 16.20%
I want something less than $100. 269 11.78%
I am willing to spend whatever amount is needed as long as it's the best. 68 2.98%
I want a simple one can painted screen option. 68 2.98%
I want an advanced paint mix screen option. 51 2.23%
I want a single material screen option. 289 12.65%
I want something durable. 270 11.82%
I want an ambient light screen. 244 10.68%
I have light control and want a white screen. 234 10.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2284. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1681 of 2849 Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Your just going to have to experiment. There is no way to know the impact on your corner focus for your particular pj. I would start around 2" and go from there.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2849 Old 02-23-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just an observation, although it will look good aesthetically, will the direction the speaker is facing become a problem?

===================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #1683 of 2849 Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 AM

I've seen the topic of curved screens rise in several threads. I'm just curious, what is purpose of the curve? Is it to have a constant throw distance to all points along the screen, which might allow better focus at the edges? Thanks for the clarification.

Tsutomu
post #1684 of 2849 Old 02-23-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

I was having just getting it to hang fairly flat.

My understanding was the the 1.22mm laminate (at least the DW) usually hangs flat without a backing. Is this not the case?

===================================

|
|
post #1685 of 2849 Old 02-23-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You should be able to tack the top and bottom center. From there you can put under the sides to give it a curve.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #1686 of 2849 Old 02-24-2007, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Quote:

I can see the potential of the laminate materials. I suspect the Wilsonart may be a better product. Stiffer and flatter maybe.

Where you doubting it before? It's shown it's potential for some time now.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #1687 of 2849 Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 AM

Wow! This is really one monster of a thread. It is becoming somewhat difficult to find information at times, even with "skillful" use of the search function.

I can get a sheet of Formica in Platinum at a local store for $20 (it is a '2nd', with what looks like some slight water damage to a small area on the back, but no noticeable flaws on the finished side). I figure at that price even if I am horribly disappointed with it, I haven't sunk too much in and can try to source something else.

So, from the info in post #1, it states that there is no gain data for the Formica. Is this still the case? Would I be correct to assume it would be somewhere in the same ballpark as Wilsonart Dove or Pewter?
post #1688 of 2849 Old 02-26-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:

Just a word of caution to anyone thinking about buying a piece of laminate and trying it out and returning it if they don't decide to keep it.

I accidently cracked/ripped the white laminte when rolling it back up to return it to Home Depot. I took it back anyway thinking they would give me at least half the price back because the rip was only about 10" long. NO! So be very careful with this type of material it rips very easily.

The good news is that a 96" 16:9 screen could be made from this piece of laminate. In my opinion it should be laminate to a piece of 1/8" masonite or hardboard. This should then be used to make a curved screen or it will need to be top coated with Behr Matte Poly #780.

The problem is I am not in a position to do this or use it since a fixed screen is not an option for my situation.

So here's the deal. If you live in or near Ottawa Canada, you are willing to use this laminate to make a curved screen, or top coat it with Behr Matte Poly #780, and you will document the process and provide photos to the AVS DIY Screen forum, I will give it to you free.

I'm just wondering why you think that the laminate screen MUST be curved or top-coated with the Poly. I just purchased a sheet of DW (haven't done anything with it yet) and was wondering if what you mentioned needs to be done to get the optimum effect.
post #1689 of 2849 Old 02-26-2007, 04:32 AM

Hello Folks,
I just wanted to add to the roll call since I just finished my 91 inch WilsonArt Fashion Grey Screen. The task was a P.I.T.A since I didn't have access to the right tools. Let me just say that I will never again make a screen or cut wood for that matter without the proper tools. Trying to make straight and even 45 degree cuts for the frame was damn near impossible for but I did the best I could. In the end some wood filler had to be applied to cover the imperfections. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the standard countertop grade (thicker) laminate. The vertical grade added to the complexity of the build because I used luan as a backing which was very flimsy itself. I needed a backing because the screen is going to place over a window, so I couldn't just lay it flat against a wall.

Here is a list of the HT equipment that will be used once the room is transformed:

PJ= Epson TW700
Screen= DIY 91 inch screen (WilsonArt fashion grey laminate with luan backing and Poplar frame).
Sources= Cablevision HDtv box with component and HDMI outputs
Sony NS-575p DVD player
Sony PS2

Here is a pic of the screen (test fit). If you look closely you can see the brown wood filler on the corners of the frame. the frame is not wrapped, its just spray paint for now.
[IMG][/IMG]

The movie in this shot is School for Scoundrels on DVD
[IMG][/IMG]
post #1690 of 2849 Old 02-26-2007, 07:51 AM

welldun,

Well done! Looks great! Any poly on your FG?

mech
post #1691 of 2849 Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Welldun that looks good, but you seem to have some trapezoidal distortion in the upper right corner,unless the PJ is not square and level to the screen.
Is that border square?

If that PJ has corner keystone adjustments, you will be able to square that up better(pull that corner down a bit).

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!

post #1692 of 2849 Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Welldun that looks good, but you seem to have some trapezoidal distortion in the upper right corner,unless the PJ is not square and level to the screen.
Is that border square?

If that PJ has corner keystone adjustments, you will be able to square that up better(pull that corner down a bit).

Thanks Muzz,
As it turns out, the projector was not squared onto the screen. You can probably tell by the pic, that the room is under renovation and the projector at the time of the pic was just sitting on a chair, I just wanted to see it in action
Now that the screen is done, the wife & I will be choosing the new colors for the room. So its time to start looking at some of the Home Theather pics in the HT design section of this forum.
post #1693 of 2849 Old 02-27-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have fun wd, and be grateful that the wife is even interested in the HT.
My GF thinks my PJ was a waste of $, and has only watched 1 thing on it in over a month of ownership.....
And that was like the 2nd day that she was AWARE(heheh-my $ biotccccccccch)that I even got 1 (she thought I was kidding 2 years ago when I told her I was buying one- kept telling me I didn't need it....I wasn't asking her permission!!).

She wonders why I spend so much time down here!!

I've gotta slow down on it though, I have over 300hrs on the bulb already, and it's only been about 5 weeks!!

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!

post #1694 of 2849 Old 02-28-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post

Thanks Muzz,
As it turns out, the projector was not squared onto the screen. You can probably tell by the pic, that the room is under renovation and the projector at the time of the pic was just sitting on a chair, I just wanted to see it in action
Now that the screen is done, the wife & I will be choosing the new colors for the room. So its time to start looking at some of the Home Theather pics in the HT design section of this forum.

Did you notice any hotspotting with your FG?
post #1695 of 2849 Old 02-28-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy-shak` View Post

Did you notice any hotspotting with your FG?

I've watched about 40hrs plus of programming with the PJ positioned at about the bottom of the screen, and I must say that if there is some hotspotting, I really don't see it. The only time I saw what I believe to could hotspotting (not sure because of the film quality), was when I through in some old school Looney Tunes (Merry Molodies) cartoons that I pick up on DVD at Walmart. There were some scenes where Bugs Bunny was playing in the snow, where the snow seemed a bit washed out and bright. Aside from that, all other programming seemed fine. After tweaking the PJ (Epson TW700 or Pro Cinema 810 in the USA) the colors really seem to pop right out at ya. I watched some basketball in HD and it was amazing.

Getting back to the hotspotting, I think we need to put together a list of scenes or movies that would create the most hotspotting so we could have a gauge. That way we can all have a reference point. I was originally going to poly the FG, but I figured I'd first watch some stuff without it to see if it was bearable, so far so good. Since the room is still under construction, I still have time to poly the screen if needed, but for now Im not sure that I need to.
post #1696 of 2849 Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I've watched about 40hrs plus of programming with the PJ positioned at about the bottom of the screen, and I must say that if there is some hotspotting, I really don't see it. The only time I saw what I believe to could hotspotting (not sure because of the film quality), was when I through in some old school Looney Tunes (Merry Molodies) cartoons that I pick up on DVD at Walmart. There were some scenes where Bugs Bunny was playing in the snow, where the snow seemed a bit washed out and bright. Aside from that, all other programming seemed fine. After tweaking the PJ (Epson TW700 or Pro Cinema 810 in the USA) the colors really seem to pop right out at ya. I watched some basketball in HD and it was amazing.

Getting back to the hotspotting, I think we need to put together a list of scenes or movies that would create the most hotspotting so we could have a gauge. That way we can all have a reference point. I was originally going to poly the FG, but I figured I'd first watch some stuff without it to see if it was bearable, so far so good. Since the room is still under construction, I still have time to poly the screen if needed, but for now Im not sure that I need to.

Try and catch a hockey game. That's when it stood out to me.

I love the fact that more and more folks are coming out with a FG screen that doesn't hotspot!

mech
post #1697 of 2849 Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post

Try and catch a hockey game. That's when it stood out to me.

I love the fact that more and more folks are coming out with a FG screen that doesn't hotspot!

mech

i bet they are hotspotting ... we just don't all have hawk's eyes like you mech :-p
post #1698 of 2849 Old 03-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Hey Mech,
do you see any hotspotting on the two pics I posted up there? I have a few more that I can post also. I personally got my FG due to your research and similar lighting situation. And like you I was going to poly mine, but so far I from what I've seen, I might not need to. While I'm on the subject of poly, did your screen take on a different color as a result of the coating? Other than reducing the hotspotting, were there any other affect (good or bad)?
post #1699 of 2849 Old 03-01-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Hey Mech,
do you see any hotspotting on the two pics I posted up there? I have a few more that I can post also. I personally got my FG due to your research and similar lighting situation. And like you I was going to poly mine, but so far I from what I've seen, I might not need to. While I'm on the subject of poly, did your screen take on a different color as a result of the coating? Other than reducing the hotspotting, were there any other affect (good or bad)?

Nope. I don't see any. Try and project a white light or even colored light at it.

As for the poly, all it did was eliminate the hot spotting. I would presume that it helps the projected light diffuse better. It's clear so no color change. The more coats of poly you put on the more the image washes out. I cannot notice it after two coats but I know someone (tiddler I believe) mentioned something about three coats being a bad thing. And I'd have to agree.

Be happy you don't have to poly coat it! It's a great screen isn't it?

mech
post #1700 of 2849 Old 03-01-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemurGuy View Post

i bet they are hotspotting ... we just don't all have hawk's eyes like you mech :-p

Nahhh... you just have to know what to look for. And sometimes a picture shows something you can't see with your eyes.

mech
post #1701 of 2849 Old 03-01-2007, 07:00 PM

whats up folks...just got my dw laminate..cut it to size and framed it. i have placed braces on the corner of the frame but not sure should i put something on the back of the laminate to make it more rigid. i dont see any waves when i hang it but just wondering would it be a good idea to back it with something..i,m about to pain the room..cieling=black...walls=a bergundy...then i will tackle the issue of seating when i can find some for a decent price...the home theater is fianally underway...will try and keep you all posted..i have been reading the threads for a few months now and have gathered all the info i need to get it up and running thanks for all the good info i have found in here

pj-optoma ep719
post #1702 of 2849 Old 03-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrek49 View Post

whats up folks...just got my dw laminate..cut it to size and framed it. i have placed braces on the corner of the frame but not sure should i put something on the back of the laminate to make it more rigid. i dont see any waves when i hang it but just wondering would it be a good idea to back it with something..i,m about to pain the room..cieling=black...walls=a bergundy...then i will tackle the issue of seating when i can find some for a decent price...the home theater is fianally underway...will try and keep you all posted..i have been reading the threads for a few months now and have gathered all the info i need to get it up and running thanks for all the good info i have found in here

pj-optoma ep719

At first I just did a braced 1x4 frame, and I did have some ripples. I tried different attachment methods, and still had a bubble. What I wound up doing is attaching the DW to a piece of 1/4" thick underlayment and it works out perfectly attached to the back of the 1x4 frame. If you don't have ripples, don't worry about it I guess. But in the end, this finished product looked better (like I knew what I was doing, unlike the hack that I am at this) than what it did without the underlayment. But do what works for you. Just throwing out my experience.

-K

ISF Calibrator
Audyssey Pro Installer

Go Big Red!!!

I'm probably outside, cooking barbecue...

post #1703 of 2849 Old 03-02-2007, 03:01 AM

It's not the easiest thing to straighten out the laminate on a frame. Mine laid in my car rolled up for days and had serious wrinkles after that.

In general it might help to treat the laminate as if it was a bed sheet, drill a hole in each corner first and screw the corners down one by one onto the frame, doing opposite corners. After these first four attachment points you should easily see how flat it lays against the frame and you can now adjust it.

The laminate will NOT stretch at all and it might be very helpful to have a second person to help mounting it. A few large (deep) clamps will be handy to affix the laminate temporarily before any final adjustments/screw-downs.

The final result will be worth any minute of agony and you can say:" I built this!", priceless!
post #1704 of 2849 Old 03-02-2007, 04:15 AM

another thing is to cut a "groove in the 1 x 4 as I did with my poster frames(see my theater sig) so that the laminate slides into the groove. this would give support on all sides.

post #1705 of 2849 Old 03-02-2007, 04:17 PM

thanks for the info guys i will try it and see how things work out..what do you all think about back lighting the screen
post #1706 of 2849 Old 03-05-2007, 11:10 AM

Howdy folks,

After a few months of lurking and reading, I decided to build my own DW screen for my "CondoTheater" setup.

I had been just projecting onto an eggshell white, semi-gloss wall, which I thought looked pretty good. In fact I had previously "rented" a GrayWolf II screen from Circuit City for about a week, but decided to take it back because of issues with the view cone. When I first got the laminate home, I taped it to the wall to see the difference.. Holy Jeebus!

I just finished (well.. 98.273%) building/painting/hanging the screen this weekend and I must say, I am VERY happy.

Materials for my DW Screen (Roughly 98" diag in 16:9)
5x8 sheet of DW ~ $100
Frame ~ $45 (made from heavy duty stretcher bars from an art supply store)
Outside Corner Trim - $30
Paint ~ $5 ? (same color as I used to paint the wall behind the screen)

Projector - Optoma EP719

Thanks to everyone who has posted here for your help and inspiration!

-John
post #1707 of 2849 Old 03-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Well.. honestly, I thought it was eggshell-white-interior-semi-gloss.. I would even go so far as to say Glidden paint.. but maybe I'm mistaken.. ;-)

..but, I *know* it said eggshell on the can.. er.. I think it did anyway.. (I can check later - its been YEARS since I painted that wall white) It was originally some horrid cream color.

I didn't notice any hotspotting on the white wall..

The wall has a little texturing to it, but not alot.. its almost like a super subdued version of ceiling popcorn.. but thats not from the roller so mucg as whatever is under the multiple layers of paint.. I'd say the roller texture was 'very smooth.'

The quality of the picture (IMHO) is vastly improved with the DW. I was watching an episode of Future Car on Discovery when I had the laminate taped on the wall for a side by side comparison and it was incredible how much more smooth, glossy and shiny the paint looked on the cars on the DW side of the screen.

I only wish I had a good digicam.. and the foresight to have taken some pics to show..

Also, the difference in gain between the painted wall and the DW was VERY noticeable. the DW, even with the PJ in ECO mode, has a brighter and more color rich picture than projecting on just the painted wall (with ECO mode turned off). I hope that makes sense.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the picture quality I had on the white painted wall, but I had decided I wanted to paint the wall a dark color ( Behr or Glidden "Deep Space" - a very uber-super-dark blue) and I liked what I had seen/read about the DW screen.

I love my new DW screen.
post #1708 of 2849 Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magik-12 View Post

Howdy folks,

After a few months of lurking and reading, I decided to build my own DW screen for my "CondoTheater" setup.

I had been just projecting onto an eggshell white, semi-gloss wall, which I thought looked pretty good. In fact I had previously "rented" a GrayWolf II screen from Circuit City for about a week, but decided to take it back because of issues with the view cone. When I first got the laminate home, I taped it to the wall to see the difference.. Holy Jeebus!

I just finished (well.. 98.273%) building/painting/hanging the screen this weekend and I must say, I am VERY happy.

Materials for my DW Screen (Roughly 98" diag in 16:9)
5x8 sheet of DW ~ $100
Frame ~ $45 (made from heavy duty stretcher bars from an art supply store)
Outside Corner Trim - $30
Paint ~ $5 ? (same color as I used to paint the wall behind the screen)

Projector - Optoma EP719

Thanks to everyone who has posted here for your help and inspiration!

-John

I'm going to be building my DW screen here shortly. Can you post pics of your screen, and possibly any pics of how you assembled it? Also, what are stretcher bars? My plan was to cut a piece of 1/4" plywood a little larger than the size of the DW and glue the DW to it. I was then going to construct a frame, wrap it in velvet, and attach it to the plywood. I bought a french cleat from Lowes and plan on attaching that to the back of the plywood and hanging it on my screen wall that way.
post #1709 of 2849 Old 03-06-2007, 08:32 AM

sbouldin you should consider the aluminum frame double side tape option. Its what I went with as it seemed much easier and quicker then the glue to a board option. Maybe I'm wrong but I know mine was easy. I then just hung the 100" screen on the frame. (Rectangle frame with two supports) I took a 2' piece of the aluminum tube, leveled it, drilled it onto the wall then hung the framed DW onto it.
Quick.....Cheap......Easy......and it looks wonderful.
Now I was able to get the tube free at work along with the tape but those items are pretty cheap at home depot from what others have posted.
post #1710 of 2849 Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveLayer View Post

sbouldin you should consider the aluminum frame double side tape option. Its what I went with as it seemed much easier and quicker then the glue to a board option. Maybe I'm wrong but I know mine was easy. I then just hung the 100" screen on the frame. (Rectangle frame with two supports) I took a 2' piece of the aluminum tube, leveled it, drilled it onto the wall then hung the framed DW onto it.
Quick.....Cheap......Easy......and it looks wonderful.
Now I was able to get the tube free at work along with the tape but those items are pretty cheap at home depot from what others have posted.

Thanks for the idea. How did you make the aluminum frame? Did you just tape the DW to the aluminum? I'd be worried over time that the tape would give way.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page