Laminate Screen Material and Testing! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What are your screen requirements? (Pick as many as apply)
I want something that is easy to install. 424 18.55%
I want something as inexpensive as possible. 372 16.27%
I want something less than $100. 269 11.77%
I am willing to spend whatever amount is needed as long as it's the best. 68 2.97%
I want a simple one can painted screen option. 68 2.97%
I want an advanced paint mix screen option. 52 2.27%
I want a single material screen option. 290 12.69%
I want something durable. 271 11.85%
I want an ambient light screen. 244 10.67%
I have light control and want a white screen. 235 10.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2286. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2849 Old 09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post

what's the difference with vertical vs. post?

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas..._Laminate.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodweb.com View Post

Question
What the difference is between vertical and horizontal grade laminate? I have a lot of jobs coming up with 1" - 1 1/2" radiused corners. Can I use the horizontal grade or do I have to buy a whole separate piece for the edge? I use 3M nf 30 water base adhesive, which works great, but will it work on the radiuses?

Forum Responses
(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
...vertical grade laminate is about 40% thinner than horizontal grade laminate. If you are making tops, you should use the thicker laminate on all edges. Increase your radius to at least 4" unless you are going to heat and clamp the laminate. If you have to have the small radius, I think you will have to use the thinner laminate.

The grades work like this: Vertical grade is the thinnest and should be used for cabinets or vertical applications; post forming grade can be post formed into fully formed countertops; and horizontal or general purpose grade, also known as flat stock, is very thick and I personally never order it. We use all post forming grade unless we are doing cabinets or fixtures (then we use vertical). The post forming grade can be easily formed around a 1 1/2 radius

I think any of the 3 thicknesses would be fine. The thinner laminate would be cheaper and lighter. But the thicker laminate would probably hold a better flat surface. I think I got the thickest stuff, and it rolled up into a 16"x16" box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2849 Old 09-05-2006, 04:51 PM

Liked: 10
I hate to make this any more complicated so I've been hesitant to add this to the discussion. I got some color samples from Wilsonart about a week ago and I was surprised to find that the "White Suede" color didn't seem to have quite as accurate color as "Designer White" but it seemed like it had very good blacks and contrast, so it may be worth looking into for someone who has some ambient light and for some reason doesn't want to do silver (I think it might cause less dirty looking clouds).

The samples were very small so it was hard to tell though.
post #183 of 2849 Old 09-05-2006, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Use this website as a reference for pricing. If your receive a price higher than this, then buy from this company. Also, I would check to see if there is a Wilsonart store in your city. The prices I received from the local Wilsonart store were like $1.10 for Vertical and $1.40 for regular or general.

Ericglo

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #184 of 2849 Old 09-05-2006, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I recieved a quote of $1.61 sq/ft from HD, which equates to $51.52 for a 4'x8' or $80.50 for 5'x10'
post #185 of 2849 Old 09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Got my 5'x8' sheet in mail today. Took BOC off of my frame and hammered down the staples. Laid the Wilsonart sheet on the floor then the frame on top of it. Traced out the frame then took a scoring knife I found at Lowe's for $5 and scored the lines I traced. Scored the lines 2 times for good measure then just took my hands and carefully snapped the excess off. Was much easier than I expected. Key is getting the lines you score straight. Then simply took some wood screws and fastened the Wilsonart laminate to the back of my frame. Hung it back up, cleaned it off and voila, new screen. Appears quite a bit brighter than my BOC screen and the colors really pop. Can tell the new screen is much smoother than the BOC which has some texture to it. I'm very impressed at how good of a screen you can make with this stuff.
post #186 of 2849 Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
spyfy, which color did you get. How do blacks compare to the BOC

post #187 of 2849 Old 09-05-2006, 10:19 PM

Hey CJ, I found a dist. of Wilsonart in Arnold who charge $2.42 sqft. I checked with Lowes tonight all they had was 4x8 for $47 but nobody was there to check on 5x10 so I gotta check back. I'll let you know. I'm gonna check the HD on Lindberg too.

Hey Clarence, so the thicker stuff can roll up? that would be ideal for my application.
post #188 of 2849 Old 09-05-2006, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfy View Post

Got my 5'x8' sheet in mail today. Took BOC off of my frame and hammered down the staples. Laid the Wilsonart sheet on the floor then the frame on top of it. Traced out the frame then took a scoring knife I found at Lowe's for $5 and scored the lines I traced. Scored the lines 2 times for good measure then just took my hands and carefully snapped the excess off. Was much easier than I expected. Key is getting the lines you score straight. Then simply took some wood screws and fastened the Wilsonart laminate to the back of my frame. Hung it back up, cleaned it off and voila, new screen. Appears quite a bit brighter than my BOC screen and the colors really pop. Can tell the new screen is much smoother than the BOC which has some texture to it. I'm very impressed at how good of a screen you can make with this stuff.

Spyfy now we need some screenshots!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #189 of 2849 Old 09-05-2006, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Just to let everyone know... this thread has really taken off and is showing a lot of interest and excitement. We're in the top 15 most viewed threads now! That doesn't really mean anything, but it's exciting to see something that has laid dormant as long as laminates have get a second look.

Thanks Clarence and Ericglo for reintroducing this stuff again! Now if we only had some working grays...

post #190 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

I went with Designer White. Blacks are the same. I'm using a Sanyo Z4 and my room has complete light control with black ceilings and black screen wall. I've tried various gray paints and a graywolf but have never liked the look of the gray screens over white screens. Painting my ceiling and screen wall flat black really helped things IMHO.
post #191 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett View Post

Just to let everyone know... this thread has really taken off and is showing a lot of interest and excitement. We're in the top 15 most viewed threads now! That doesn't really mean anything, but it's exciting to see something that has laid dormant as long as laminates have get a second look.

Thanks Clarence and Ericglo for reintroducing this stuff again! Now if we only had some working grays...

This thread has certainly been a big help, although my head is spinnign a bit from having what seem to be so many viable options!

Now I think making a good 100x57.whatever frame and then attaching a piece of wilsonart might be a good solution.
post #192 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixkillerNYC View Post

This thread has certainly been a big help, although my head is spinnign a bit from having what seem to be so many viable options!

Now I think making a good 100x57.whatever frame and then attaching a piece of wilsonart might be a good solution.

Right now the only option being recommeded for Wilsonart is Designer White. HG57 is using Pionite laminate, but that isn't readily available in my area. All the research and data being done right now is for Wilsonart and that is who I have an open dialog with.

I hope to have some data for gray options this week, I know quite a few people have been waiting for that and we'll have it up here as soon as it's available.

We are also getting some data on a few Formica samples, but I haven't been in contact with Formica.

This thread is starting to get lengthy, so later today I'll post a thread recapping the milestones so far.

post #193 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

true, I'll put a summary there and add a note for people to check there

post #194 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Wbassett-
Check with Panolam Ind. for a pionite dealer in your area: Pionite/Panolam 1-800-746-6483
There turned out to be only one dealer here in CO. Cool thing is, they're shipping to my door and, as early as tomorrow.

I concur with tiddler's posting suggestion; pertinent info up front and discussion after... keeps it all together. -j
post #195 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfy View Post

Got my 5'x8' sheet in mail today. (edited...) Appears quite a bit brighter than my BOC screen and the colors really pop. Can tell the new screen is much smoother than the BOC which has some texture to it. I'm very impressed at how good of a screen you can make with this stuff.

I agree with your assessment. I used the Designer White (w/ a Panny900) and immediately noticed the screen was brighter and the colors seemed to "pop" I guess would be the word to use. I've noticed now after a few days of viewing that I might have to adjust my projector as reds seem more saturated. I've noticed that a bit on the blue as well as I was watching some of the U.S. Open (blue courts) in HD on Universal HD and the colors were much brighter and more vivid than my BOC screen.

Odd thing is I went from 104" BOC to 120" Laminate and left my projector in the same spot... I had planned to go bigger from the day of install so I zoomed out the picture to fill the 120" screen. Zoomed out and located in the same spot I still got a noticeably brighter screen.
post #196 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I edited my first post to contain a summary of the major information in the thread. The Wilsonart numbers are there as well as other information and links to some of the milestone posts.

I will update that post as information comes in so any new viewers can find it in one location.

post #197 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Looks great, thanks for all the effort you've put in to this.
post #198 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 03:51 PM

CJRIVERA, I found the Wilsonart @ HD on Watson Rd. off of Lindberg for $80 for a 5x10 sheet.

But I do have a ? about the finish??? They said that they had two finishes 60 & 38? They didn't seem to know the difference and neither did I. If anyone can chime in that would be great!
post #199 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You want D354-60 for Designer White. Give them that number and what size you want.

post #200 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Thanks wbassett. That's what I needed! What is the 38 they are talking about?
post #201 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 04:14 PM

I am looking for a gray. Those with past experience, which one would you choose?

I have a unique situation. I run a picnic grounds and a restaraunt and want to show sports. I am going to put it in a picnic shelter house which has a roof but no sides. There are very large trees around and the shelter house is in the shade all day. However the sun hits the grass roughly a hundred feet away. Right now I am using my company's infocus x1a projector.

If you were going to pick a gray which would you go with? Or would you just go with the white?

I did try out a piece of tyvek last week and with some dark backing it seemed to work ok. I am not looking for cinema quality here just want to show football and racing on the weekends.

Stupid is forever
Ignorance can be fixed
post #202 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

D354 is their stock number for Designer White
60 is the finish.

Matte-60
A non-directional textured finish with a moderate reflective quality. Recommended for horizontal and vertical applications. Standard on many Wilsonart® Laminates.

Fine Velvet textxture-38
A smooth textured finish with moderate reflective value. Recommended for horizontal and vertical applications. Available only on those designs for which it is the standard finish.

The one that is being used for screens is the Matte-60

post #203 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post

I am looking for a gray. Those with past experience, which one would you choose?

I have a unique situation. I run a picnic grounds and a restaraunt and want to show sports. I am going to put it in a picnic shelter house which has a roof but no sides. There are very large trees around and the shelter house is in the shade all day. However the sun hits the grass roughly a hundred feet away. Right now I am using my company's infocus x1a projector.

If you were going to pick a gray which would you go with? Or would you just go with the white?

I did try out a piece of tyvek last week and with some dark backing it seemed to work ok. I am not looking for cinema quality here just want to show football and racing on the weekends.

We're still doing the color analysis on the grays, hopefully that will be available this week.

The Dove Grey (D92-60) looks to be very close to a Firehawk G2, but until we get the test results back on all the gray samples I wouldn't want to tell you for sure. If you can wait a few days I'm sure will have that information soon...

There are more complex methods that definitely work, but one plus I would have to give the laminate is it is virtually indestructable as a screen.... and if someone gets rowdy and spills beer or anything on it, just wipe it off...

post #204 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 06:45 PM

Thanks wbassett. I am anxiously waiting. I haven't tracked down my local dealer yet. My buddy works at a construction company that builds their own cabinets on occasion. They are supposed to checking out if their supplier handles wilsonart. I may be able to get it cheaper too.

I want to show the Ohio State game next week so I need to order early next week. I appreciate everyones efforts here. This is a very nice resource.

Stupid is forever
Ignorance can be fixed
post #205 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post

Thanks wbassett. I am anxiously waiting. I haven't tracked down my local dealer yet. My buddy works at a construction company that builds their own cabinets on occasion. They are supposed to checking out if their supplier handles wilsonart. I may be able to get it cheaper too.

I want to show the Ohio State game next week so I need to order early next week. I appreciate everyones efforts here. This is a very nice resource.

yeah if you know someone in construction you should be able to get this real cheap.

post #206 of 2849 Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

rlhammon, Did you calibrate your projector with the Designer White screen?

From what I have read elsewhere, the BOC is usually a litttle less than a gain of 1. So we could assume the gain of the laminate is over 1. Since you were able to significantly increase the size and still get a brighter image then it may be closer to 1.5 or there abouts.

I have not gone back and completed a calibration with the Deisgner White Laminate screen yet. It's going to be a week or two until I can.

I don't want to guess at gains, but the Laminate is certainly a higher gain than the BOC, that's for sure.
post #207 of 2849 Old 09-07-2006, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The color analysis is done, I will update the graph and post the results shortly...

post #208 of 2849 Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 PM

OK wbassett....

your last post is like one of those "To Be Continued..." fade outs on the season cliffhanger of your favorite show.

You're killing us with the suspense.
post #209 of 2849 Old 09-07-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

lol... sorry don't mean to, I have a ton of deployments I'm in the middle of at work right now.

post #210 of 2849 Old 09-07-2006, 03:47 PM

I stopped by Lowes and they wanted $67 with 11 days transit time so I went to HD and they wanted $51.20 plus $15 handling for a total of $66.20 with 7 days transit. The SKU was 741-272 for a 4x8 sheet. It should be here next Thursday so I'll have impressions for you then. It's gotta be better than my dirty wrinkled BOC

--Eric #5
NEC 9PG on the ceiling! -- 720p72 -- 80x45" Wilsonart screen
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page