Best adhesive for vinyl on vinyl??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need an adhesive to hold vinyl folded on itself to form a pocket to encase a metal rod, this will be done on all four sideds of the material so that it can be tensioned to a frame. The glue needs to be strong enough to hold the vinyl together under tension but with out melting or weakening the material. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-28-2006, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I can't offer you any real advice because I have never tried what you undertake.
All I can suggest do some testing on some scrap material. Over the years I have always been amazed at how good and strong liquid nails is. I have no idea if it will interact with your stuff, but it would be on my list of stuff to test, along with the contact glues, the type you let tack up on both parts and then stick together.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Bud

post #3 of 7 Old 08-28-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

I can't offer you any real advice because I have never tried what you undertake.
All I can suggest do some testing on some scrap material. Over the years I have always been amazed at how good and strong liquid nails is. I have no idea if it will interact with your stuff, but it would be on my list of stuff to test, along with the contact glues, the type you let tack up on both parts and then stick together.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I don't know about this application, but the adhesive used for PVC pipe should be good, I would think. I am also thinking about this as well, as I have a vinyl retractable screen, and want to put a bar along the bottom. I figured I could fold up the bottom, and use adhesive to stick it together. My wife recommends to sew the pocket in. She's probably right, but I don't know if I can sew a straight enough line, esp. with material this thick, and the tension need to be clean straight across.

Let me know if you find an adhesive that's suitable. I will also look, and pass along what I find.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #4 of 7 Old 08-28-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quick gel should work, although it might get expensive with that big of a project.

Ericglo

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #5 of 7 Old 08-28-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

I have often wondered if a local canvas awning manufacturer could sew this size of material for a reasonable price. A sail maker would also be able to do it but might be expensive. Hmmm ... dacron sail cloth might make a good roll-up screen material.

I would be worried that the holes from the sewing would cause the vinyl to tear under tension...
post #6 of 7 Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 PM

Liked: 10
The answer is right at Home Depot! There is an adhesive that is specifically designed to bond vinyl to itself. It is vinyl shower pan adhesive, for splicing with a watertight seam.

I used it on my smooth vinyl screen for tab tensioning, and it worked PERFECTLY!! Very strong bond.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-03-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 10

3 M 5200 marine glue-caulk will hold anything , there is a fast set and a slow set , get the fast , one caulk tube is abour 12.00 , good luck !  

I love it , even made a new o ring for my air gun with it , tough as nails

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page