Flatter Black - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I purchased some Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Multi-Purpose Flat Black Paint N1976. It is an Indoor Outdoor Easy Clean-Up Latex. The only problem with it is it's not really flat. It has a bit of a sheen when you angle it to the light and will reflect bright projector light. Since I wanted to use this to modify the border on my EluneVision roll-up screen it needed to be flat.

I googled for various paint flattening ideas and ran across one post somewhere asking how much cornstarch to add to the paint to flatten it. Other than that I was on my own. Even prof55 could not help me!!! :rolleyes:

So tonight I tried mixing cornstarch in some warm water. I managed to get 16 tablespoons to dissolve smoothly in 4 oz of warm water. It looked surprisingly like latex paint. Oh I did run across some references to the fact that cornstarch is used in the making of latex paint.

Then I tried mixing 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch slurry in 2 oz of the Flat Black paint. It seemed to lighten the black a bit but not too bad. So I mixed in another 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch just for good measure. I thought it might not be as black but if it was actually flat it would work well as a border paint.

So to recap that 4 tablespoons of cornstarch per oz. of warm water. Then 4 tablespoons of the cornstarch slurry per 2 oz. of Flat Black paint. Assuming I remember it all correctly. It's not really critical at this point. In the end if it worked this was only a starting point.

So did it work? You betcha! I painted a patch with the unmodified Rust-Oleum Flat Black and beside it a patch of the cornstarch modified black paint. They both look black but the untreated paint looks blacker. The cornstarch black has no sheen what so ever.

Now I just need to determine the ideal mix ratio to minimize the cornstarch as much as possible and still have a truly flat black.

Here are some pictures. The background is the shinny side of bristol board (like a screen). The left hand patch of black is the unmodified flat black. The right hand patch is the cornstarch modified flat black.

Room Light
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8..._RoomLight.jpg

Camera Flash
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...ameraFlash.jpg

Projector Light
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...ectorLight.jpg

What can I say. If I can't come up with a better screen paint mix at least I might be able to create a better border paint. :o

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 04:11 AM

Liked: 10
Wow, now that's an improvement. I think I'll mix some of that up and repaint my borders.

I wonder if cornstarch would work well over a mirror... :)
post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 07:17 AM

That is quite the durastic improvement. Thanks for doing the research on it, and showing the tests. I'll definetly mess around with this before I paint my border.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans
That is quite the durastic improvement. Thanks for doing the research on it, and showing the tests. I'll definetly mess around with this before I paint my border.

cool idea- good job.

i am still working on my flourescent black mix.... :p

I will stick with teh velveteen black- Its so black you cant even see it!
Its black yal'all, its blackity black and black yall'...

I suck at teh home theater
post #5 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
A painted border is the only option for a roll-up screen. While I think you can get good results with a flat black painted screen boarder it will never be as good as something like velvet, felt, ultraswade etc. No illusions here! :cool:

~
~
Closed Thread DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page