Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-03-2006, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tiddler,

If you "seal" the edge of the masking tape before painting, you can greatly minimize bleeding.

I found that an almost dry (very little paint) paintbrush will put enough paint on the edge of the masking tape to keep subsequent wetter coats from bleeding under the tape (Edit: let the seal coat dry before putting on the wetter coats). I've used this method many times with laquered trim to create an almost perfect line. It may be worth a try on your screen.
post #3 of 46 Old 09-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I saw a trick on a arts and crafts show once. They taped their area off and before applying paint of color they went over it with a clear acrylic and then painted once that was dry, it gave crisp cleanlines.
post #4 of 46 Old 11-11-2006, 07:18 AM

Nice to see you narrowing things down, tiddler.

So how are you going to review your 4 finalists? What will be your criteria for selecting? And when do you expect to paint that thing!?
post #5 of 46 Old 11-12-2006, 12:46 AM

Looks awesome. Good job.
post #6 of 46 Old 11-12-2006, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 250
[quote=tiddlerIt is my belief that there is some sort of optical interaction between a clear top coat and the flat base coat. It is at this interface that something is happening to improve the image quality significantly over a flat gray screen paint. [/QUOTE]

Really now...it's not truely a "Flat Grey paint". But it's close.

Essentially, your redirecting light back towards you that is being breifly contained within the two layers instead of it immediately refracting and dispersing. And the addition of the MinWax Poly Satin to the "Grey primer" is what is making the real difference between your mix and a Flat Grey paint.

Combined, you've produced a Grey base coat with enhanced reflectivity, and "Top Coated" it with a Clear in an attempt to create depth. Seems you have accomplished yur goal, but it did take something more than a "straight grey paint".

Now, if the finish will stand up to the "ups & downs" of a Roll Up Screen, you should be where you want to be.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #7 of 46 Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tiddler,

Your making assumptions that the "flattening" effect is the only aspect the MinWax Poly affords and bears no resonsibility in making the "Grey' perform better.. If so, then why not use the Behr "Flat" Poly in it's place? As thorough and precise as your tests and subsiquent photo examples are, nothing in them can discount or disprove any of the advantages of MW Poly any more than they can show that such is absolutely necessary to obtain great end results.

From the very beginning of RS-MaxxMudd, the MW Poly's use was to afford a deeper , more translucent medium in which to contain the balance of whatever pigmentation the paint was made up of.... (...and so doing, provide a simbilance of "Depth". )....because it was used in substitution of a specific amount of both Behr Deep Base, and Distilled Water. That being so, your absolutely correct that it also affords a "thinning" and "leveling" action that lends to making the paint more tractible to work with, and provides more durability. But those aspects have been well documented for some time now.

So the real summerary would be; "If you create a well balanced Grey Base, and can get it to lay smooth and flat, then cover it with Behr Flat Poly, your end results will approximate or equal many/most more complex mixes. And there's nothing bad that can be said about that, fur sure.

And as I related, the Behr Poly Top Coat's retention and therein brief amplification (..or concentration actually...0 of the reflected light from off the Grey is giving the Grey painted surface more "pop", although it still lacks a really impressive "PoP" that would come from a more interactive mixture. The images look very "alive", if not entirely "lifelike", and certainly do not have the "plastered on" appearence many bright, non-contrasty images present. Perhaps the very best thing is the colors look splendid, the clarity wants for nothing, and the images are in no way to be considered "dull".

All in all, excellent results, especially when one considers your trying to cover a "Roll Up", I daresay few who have painted fixed Frame BOC screens have done as well. Some yes, but reletively few.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 46 Old 11-12-2006, 08:55 PM

Tiddler,

Please don't add "leavening" agents to your mix (like yeast, for example) unless you want to raise the temperature of the mix to 105F-115F, add some sugar, and let it "rise" for a while. The resulting bubbles will likely be larger than the pixel structure of your screen causing a negative impact on the image however.

Anyway, I found a thin plastic sheet this morning to paint some of the primer/sealer on and after drying for 12 hrs or so it has proven (on this sample) to not be flexible and has shown a tendency towards being quite fragile when flexed showing cracks in the paint layer. Obviously, it hasn't cured for a long period of time. Primer tends to be made to dry very quickly, though, since it's cheap stuff made for construction work.
Maybe try some gesso or something with known elasticity. The Elunevision screen, I presume from your pictures and description, has some texture that will give some grab to whatever top coat you put on it so maybe a primer isn't even really necessary. Just clean with alcohol good before painting. Thinking outsice the bos, maybe a spray on adhesive or something would suffice. I would bet you probably don't even need to worry about priming the surface.
post #9 of 46 Old 11-13-2006, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn3kgtvr4 View Post

Tiddler,

Please don't add "leavening" agents to your mix (like yeast, for example) unless you want to raise the temperature of the mix to 105F-115F, add some sugar, and let it "rise" for a while. The resulting bubbles will likely be larger than the pixel structure of your screen causing a negative impact on the image however.

Now that's at least an attempt a humor instead of being demeaning. Nort bad....not bad.

A mere typo it was however, as "leveling" was the intended word. It's been corrected. BTW, for someone who obviously doesn't check his own posts for spelling errors, you should be a little more discreet when commenting on the posts of others.

"Thinking outsice the bos," That's pretty funny too.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #10 of 46 Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 PM

Looking forward to hearing about your results as this may be the way I go in the future. The primer I tried really didn't have any flexibility to it, but your mix should work fine I'm sure.
Bonus adding the pearl into the topcoat. You get mica in the mix. I'm totally sold on mica even in a slightly transluscent blend. I like the pop.
post #11 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Tiddler (and others):

Great work on the screen, and you've done quite a bit, and answered many questions that I had...

I am currently using a roll-down screen, and it works beautifully, but of course, I am thinking of ways to make it even better. I am also working on a DIY anamorphic lens project that shows a great deal of promise, so would want to maks my screen for constant height.

Anyway, I am using the back (fabric) side of a soft polymer fabric (vinyl?). It rolls up and down beautifully, and although it has a slight memory, any waves or wrinkles fall out almost immediately.

I am currently tweaking the screen, and added a 2 inch border around the entire screen. The border is a 2.5 inch wide black fabric (actually, the soft "loop" half of a velcro with adhesive on the back). While it works pretty well, I have found that any adhesive border (like tape, etc) on a roll-up screen actually creates waves. In other words, when I just have a simple fabric hanging, there are no waves, and the image falls pretty much as flat as possible.

So I put the border up, and sure enough, some waves were introduced. What I would like to do is paint a flat black border around the edge, but I really it to be a lot "blacker" than just flat black paint--a really good light absorber. I am thinking along the lines of how black velvet can appear. Any ideas?

Any ideas on additives that might be useful to add to the paint to really soak up stray light?

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #12 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
The screen really looks fantastic. I'm surprised nobody else has commented on it yet and moved this to the top of the list.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #13 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Tiddler

Congrats on a great job. I know how long a process this has been in the workings and some rather interesting sidetracks along the way. The screen shots look great and so does the install.

I know you were thinking at first to have the screen in the ceiling but I like the look of the valance a lot.

So what's next? And don't say you are going to sit back and watch movies..

Bud

post #14 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
I wouldn't say anti climatic, there was a lot of interesting learning along the way.

You did good... very good! Don't listen to Bud and go watch some movies! (Just teasing Bud )

post #15 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really sorry Todd I didn't realize that was your living room until just now. I was thinking it a bit different someone wanted a roll down screen in his walk in closet.

I'm a good one to talk having a 6 foot tall screen in a 6 foot 4 inch room. My tall friends take their shoes off to fit in. but once seated enjoy the Hobbit Theater.

In order to get on topic here I might just have to try the Behr Flat Poly just to see if I see any difference when blending it with Gray.

Time to watch some movies. It's going to be a long winter.

Bud

post #16 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Tiddler, time to name your mix/application procedure.

Looks great. Given that you've done the legwork here (I have followed the entire EPIC saga with bated breath) I'll enventualy piggy-back on your findings and paint a sample and compare it to a few other of the more simple approaches.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing your journey.

GL
post #17 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

I appreciate the sentiment and I will now answer it with this statement. This is just the beginning of a collection of solutions that will be clearly documented and presented in the near future. Keep an eye on this forum, good things are developing.

Fantastic!

No pressure, I just think by naming the application/procedure/ingredients it makes it a bit easier to keep track of what everyone is talking about. Most long-timers have a good idea of what CGIII, S-I-L-V-E-R, RSMaxx, BF, 313, etc. entail.

"That grey off the shelf paint with some topcoat that the DIY board collaborated on" gets a bit wordy.

GL
post #18 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

FnEasy. Love it.

post #19 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Don't worry there will be an easy to remember name asigned to this collection of solutions.

This solution is Flat gray with a Flat poly top coat. For now you may call it the "FnEasy" Screen Paint Solution. It's a two-can, off-the-shelf easy to apply solution.

Behr Ultra Pure White Flat Latex #1050
Quart Formula
Lamp Black 0 4 0
Yellow Oxide 0 1 0

The top coat is BEHR PREMIUM PLUS WITH STYLE® Crystal Clear Water Based Polyurethane No. 780 . You may apply one or two top coats. If you have enough for two coats then you might as well use it up.

Nicely done, I hope I have a chance to stop by HD tomorrow and pick up the supplies.

Heres my plan for a few test panels

Using a 3/16" nap synthetic roller ...

Kilz2 on cardboard - wait to dry
1st coat of Flat Grey - wait to dry
2nd coat of Flat Grey - wait to dry (test)

Roller recommendation for the Poly Topcoat ...?

1st coat of Poly - wait to dry (test)
2nd coat of Poly - wait to dry (test)

GL
post #20 of 46 Old 12-02-2006, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got finished painting my DIY electric roll-down screen, and I'm letting it dry in my basement as I type this. A big thank you to Tiddler, and to all others who have contributed. I used Tiddlers 2 step process (not FnEasy, as I understand it, but Tiddler's mix he specified above--which is almost FnEasy, but with polycrylic added (and a small tweak myself, by adding some deep base to the topcoat.

A question I have--FnEasy uses a polyurethane topcoat. Is that still recommended with the other formulations? I am going to assume, yes, since it has the purpose of protecting the screen, and adding a clear surface to provide depth to the image.

I tested the formulations on a smaller piece of material, and the improvement over the matte white screen I had been using was dramatic. Blacks were much deeper, and whites were actually better as well. I was concerned about "dirty" looking whites, but the gray test screen actually had better-defined whites, if that makes sense. The whites on my white screen tended to flare a bit--I could never really get the brightness/contrast/black level right. Using this formulation, whites just look white, and cleaner.

I am not a big proponent of color additives in screens--I think screens are really simple. A light gray is all that is really needed to improve the image. Hopefully, the other additives (polycrylic, deep base) provide flexibility to the paint as it will be wound up and down frequently.

post #21 of 46 Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Tiddler, what TV show is this?

post #22 of 46 Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Just an update. After spending a lot of time priming and painting my screen, I realized that the easiest solution to rid the screen of roller marks is to simply use tinted primer (I used Zinsser) as the main layer.

I mixed up the paint (tinted UPW with polycrylic) and no matter how careful I was, I still had roller marks--even after putting a number of layers on the screen. So I then covered up what I had done with a layer of the tinted primer I had used to start, and lo and behold, not a single roller mark to be seen. It's a thing of beauty. I painted the border around it (black paint with slurried corn starch) and the border is quite black. The screen, if I do say so myself, looks really nice, and I"m letting it cure a bit before retracting it. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

The "remains to be seen" are whether the screen will have too much memory when rolled up, and whether the tint I added is too dark. I projected some movies last night, and the image looked fantastic, but my wife likes things on the brighter side, so I will have to get her opinion before I declare this a success...

I have also gone the valence route, and have had the screen tuck up behind a valence for a while now.

post #23 of 46 Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve,

Did you top coat the screen with Behr Flat Poly?

I have the poly, but I didn't paint it on yet. Think it will make that big of a difference? Any chances I could screw it up and add roller marks to the screen with it? The concern I have is that there really is no fixing it once it's on.

post #24 of 46 Old 12-05-2006, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Tiddler IF you ever did that to try out something I'd check the Monoprice screens. At their price they are prime candidates for painting without losing a boat load of money.

post #25 of 46 Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

OK--here are some shots of my screen. I would have thought that the gray was too dark, but I have tested it extensively tonight with a bunch of DVDs, and all I can say is that the image is absolutely fantastic. Here are some photos of my setup. Unfortunately, if you look really closely, you can see ever so slight vertical bands (vertical painting stripes) on the images taken with the flash. Playing a movie, the vertical bands do not show up at all.

Also, I kept my screen rolled up completely today, and I could detect some horizontal banding caused by memory of the screen being in the roll-up position (I think you can barely see some in the first photo below), but it wasn't long before these fell right out of the screen. In fact, I believe these horizontal bands were caused more by the fact that after I rolled up my screen, I placed it on a flat surface, rather than let it hang (the flat surface was as wide as the horizontal bands are in the first photo below). After a bit of a mishap a couple of days ago with my screen, I was able to get it up and running tonight.

Here are some photos (of both my screen, and my DIY electric roll-up mechanism.

This last photo is a bit out of focus--I really need to use a tripod instead of hand-holding the camera.

post #26 of 46 Old 12-07-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Boy--one thing I noticed is that, for some reason, I am not getting a 2.37:1 aspect ratio for Lord of the Rings, which is kind of mind-boggling right now. I just measured the picture, and the image is just over 2.0:1. Not sure why...

post #27 of 46 Old 12-07-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're going for something just to paint why not look into the Monoprice screens? They have a 16x9 135" for $158. Who cares that it's only 1.0 gain matte white, you're going to paint it anyway

post #28 of 46 Old 12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I have to decide if it worth $360 to prove I can do a better job.

We watched Pirates of the Caribbean last night and I did not even think about the screen. I just watched the movie and enjoyed the experience. There may be better uses for the $360 at this point.

Drop the 360 in the bell ringers pot, and enjoy another movie..

And if I forget to say it Merry Christmas Guys

Bud

post #29 of 46 Old 12-07-2006, 12:47 PM

Would this paint process work on a cavas screen? i posted my setup in another thread if you want back ground info.

Thnks,
MI
post #30 of 46 Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would still want it to fit in my valance. The EluneVision 120" is exactly the same as the one I have.

I suppose I could get the screen paint it and use the one I like best. If that one breaks then I have a backup screen. I already have all the paint I need so it is just the price of the screen. That price is taxes include and delivered to the door.

I don't understand why the substrate makes that big of a difference, that you would spend that much.

For example, the material I used above I paid something like 20$ for at a local fabric store. Granted, it's only 54" wide, but I use that to make an 85" wide cinemascope screen, with room left over for dispensing on the roll and hiding under the valence. This material I am using--vinyl with fabric backing, is quite heavy, and I have never had a problem with waves. You could probably find larger sizes on the internet, if you need to find something bigger. After all, you are painting it, so the material doesn't matter, except to hang.

Reply DIY Screen Section