Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 611 Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk00001 View Post

This is a sort of bump, and a, "Where do I go from here?" post.

I spent a lot of hours reading through this thread (many thanks to wbasset and other pioneers for all you've done here), only to get to the end and find nothing's been posted for over 2 years? I was ready to go out and get a can of SW Grey Screen or TV Winter Mist, but now I'm wondering if this thread is outdated and better things have been found than these neutral OTS solutions, or if wbasset and others ended up continuing their research in another thread that I should pick up on in order to find the ultimate conclusions they've come to. If so, any recommended threads for me to start on? I'd like to know what conclusions have been drawn at this point...

It sounded like wbassett had tried laminates, but found these neutral grey paints to be better. Any difinitive word on laminate's vs. paints?

I know much depends on my setup. I have a Epson 8500UB, long throw of 22', low but still there ambient light, and like my image big, like 176" diagonal at 2.35:1 (willing to go smaller, if laminate turns out the best route for example, given standard sheet size).

Thanks again for all you guys' research, time, and effort.

Joe

Sort of wondering the same thing. Happy to mix some paint if the result is much better but if an OTS gray on Sintra is gong to be very good, that would be a great option to explore. Any thoughts from the pros??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 611 Old 01-15-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
They are still working on their paints. If you do a search for black widow screen, then you should find them. They have tested and measured their formulas and come up with a variety of solutions.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #603 of 611 Old Today, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SW paint

About to paint a wall screen with Sherwin Williams 6259 "SPATIAL WHITE", Duration matte. N8.75, RGB 222 221 221. Seemed like a good middle of the road choice, but not popular at all. Any thoughts?
post #604 of 611 Old Today, 08:53 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Most do not find a Matte White suitable for varied watching conditions (ambient light...reflective room surfaces)

However if you have a dedicated Theater, one with non-reflective walls / ceiling, and a PJ with exceptional contrast, a Matte White might fully satisfy you.

Screen size, room conditions, PJ specs....all should be considered when making a screen surface decision.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #605 of 611 Old Today, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurpleFan View Post
About to paint a wall screen with Sherwin Williams 6259 "SPATIAL WHITE", Duration matte. N8.75, RGB 222 221 221. Seemed like a good middle of the road choice, but not popular at all. Any thoughts?
If the RGB stats haven't changed drastically, it sounds like a really nice screen in any decent room. Expect around 0.7-0.75gain.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #606 of 611 Old Today, 11:45 AM

Thanks guys. It's a BenQ W1070 with about 1000 hours on it, preferably running in eco mode. In a living room but only at night, with a light on in the next room, no light control. 120" screen, ceiling mount, 11ft viewing distance. Used with HTPC, so a bit of surfing the net and video games. Watch mostly TV - OTA or downloaded.

Was just projecting on the off-white wall for a while, with a black ribbon border. Tried the Pro Classic Satin, was far to reflective for my setup, major reflective hot spots and roller marks. Hoping for slightly better blacks, and sharper picture.
post #607 of 611 Old Today, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The matte-N8.75 should give a similar brightness and black-depth as the off-white wall except it'll have better color-accuracy and white-balance. Going with the matte should also keep rollermarks away and give a clear crisp image. It will be dimmer than the shiny white you tried, but you should be able to stay safely over 10ftL all the way through the lamp's life in even the darkest setting.

If you went with enough of the matte-N8.75 to experiment with, you could try adding some water-based silver metallic to it (FolkArt, RalphLauren, and Rustoleum are excellent brands if you have access to them). That would help keep your brightness at the same level while helping your blacks and deeper colors stay deep against some ambient light and against wall-reflections from your light walls. You can add a ton of metallic without hotspotting, but you'll still need to be careful to avoid roller-marks if you make a mix more than 20%-25% metallic.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #608 of 611 Old Today, 01:21 PM

Silver

Thanks, think I actually have a mostly full 2oz bottle of Folk Art metallic silver already, will add a little bit in, probably in the range of 5-10%. How much color push could I expect from that and do you think it would be noticeable?

Last edited by DeepPurpleFan; Today at 03:01 PM.
post #609 of 611 Old Today, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurpleFan View Post
Thanks, think I actually have a mostly full 2oz bottle of Folk Art metallic silver already, will add a little bit in, probably in the range of 5-10%.
I've heard at least one person comment how they really liked the boost they got by adding 10% to a light-grey. Normally I'd expect the difference to be too small/subtle to really be noticed, but they noticed and enjoyed the difference so you'll probably fall somewhere between the range of seeing little to no difference and simply enjoying a nice matte~N9 OR you'll hopefully see and enjoy some gentle improvements to contrast that would otherwise get stunted by the white walls/ceiling.

Just remember to roll slower+gentle and try to finish every painted row in the same direction..that'll help lessen the chance of roller-marks. If you're as cheap as me, don't give into the temptation to reuse a roller-pad. When you've painted a layer and are waiting for it to dry, toss that thing and use a fresh one for the next layer. Using a fresh 1/4" roller for each layer is probably the best $1-$5 you can spend toward getting a smooth rolled-on paint finish.

post #610 of 611 Old Today, 03:35 PM

Push?

Do you think there will be any color push by using that silver metallic in a neutral paint? Read other comments that it could push blue.....but with less than 10%? Thanks!
post #611 of 611 Old Today, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The SterlingSilver FA is pretty decent looking even at 100%, not neutral I'm sure but pleasantly close, so I believe a 10% mix should look really neutral.

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page