Silver Fire mix - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 1426 Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
August 18 2007

What happened to the silverfire recipe on the first page?

I saw numerous discussions through this thread about changing from polycrylic to other materials because of sheen. However, the recipe that I printed off and dated 7/30 shows polycrylic. I am worried that I don't have the real recipe since it doesn't agree very closely with so many of the recipes that have been posted in this thread.

help! please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1426 Old 08-21-2007, 07:16 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Ive looked through a good amount of threads and can't find any updated ( well I found one quoted ) versions of the recipes. Maybe its being revised? You would think for such a popular mix, it would be on the first page.

I was going to give SF HG a try after I messed up my last coat of RSMAXX ( rolling of course )

Thanks guys,
post #333 of 1426 Old 09-02-2007, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am getting ready to paint my DIY screen using Silver Fire and Wagner Paint Gun. I am planning on putting 3 coats of Kilz2 primer on first and would like to know if someone could tell me how much distilled water I should add to one quart of Kilz2 to get the right viscosity for the Wagner paint gun. Thank you.

Golffnutt

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #334 of 1426 Old 09-03-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone out there that can help with this question? Thank you.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #335 of 1426 Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 AM

golffnutt,

you might check this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=124

perhaps if you pm the author, he might be able to help.
post #336 of 1426 Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.payne View Post

golffnutt,

you might check this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=124

perhaps if you pm the author, he might be able to help.

Thanks robert.payne, I got it. Appreciate the help and response. Have a great Labor Day.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #337 of 1426 Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 AM

golffnutt,

best of luck with your screen. please post info, screenshots, your impressions of ease of painting, screen results, etc.

by the way, what formula are you using? I was interested in doing one of these myself, but guess I arrived to the party a little late since the original poster (pbmaxxx) has removed the formulas from the first post. I think I may be leaning more toward a laminate now.

-robert
post #338 of 1426 Old 09-03-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

golffnutt,

best of luck with your screen. please post info, screenshots, your impressions of ease of painting, screen results, etc.

by the way, what formula are you using? I was interested in doing one of these myself, but guess I arrived to the party a little late since the original poster (pbmaxxx) has removed the formulas from the first post. I think I may be leaning more toward a laminate now.

-robert

Thanks. I am going to use either Silver Fire or Black Flame, probably Black Flame. Will post results and screen shots as soon as it is finished, probably about 10-14 days I hope.

Golffnutt

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #339 of 1426 Old 09-03-2007, 01:53 PM

golffnutt, thanks for the reply. I guess I should have worded my question a bit more carefully. What I intended to ask was, "Would you please post the formula you are using, since it is no longer listed on the main page of the thread?"
post #340 of 1426 Old 09-03-2007, 04:34 PM

What do you see in Black Flame that makes it better than SilverFire? The recipe has a lot less pearl which seems like it would reduce the gain.

I have my prepped Sintra sheet in the Garage waiting to be painted - wondered if I missed something in the Black Flame???

BTW - anybody else find that their garage is incredibly dusty? I need to build a paint booth inside the garage before I can paint my screen.

Taliaferro
post #341 of 1426 Old 09-04-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:

golffnutt, thanks for the reply. I guess I should have worded my question a bit more carefully. What I intended to ask was, "Would you please post the formula you are using, since it is no longer listed on the main page of the thread?"

Content of original post before it got lost:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

"SILVER FIRE"

(base components)
24 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Pearl #02601
16 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic #02603
8 oz. Behr Interior UPW Flat #1050 (or Exterior #4050)
8 oz. Delta Pale Metallic Gold #02624

(viscosity components)
24 oz. Distilled / Tap Water
20 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin Finish

(color components)
30 ml Delta Cardinal Red #02077
18 ml Windsor & Newtwon "Galleria" - Pthalo Green (PG7)
12 ml Delta Ultra Blue #02038
4 oz. Distilled / Tap Water

* use 3 oz. of the 'color components' and add/mix it to the 'base & viscosity components'

-------------------------

Silver Fire - L (Lite)**

** use 2 oz. of the 'color components' and add/mix it to the 'base & viscosity components'

Silver Fire - SL (SuperLite)***

*** use 1 oz. of the 'color components' and add/mix it to the 'base & viscosity components'

"SILVER FIRE HG" (High Gain)****

(base components)
36 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Pearl #02601
12 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic #02603
7 oz. Behr Interior UPW Flat #1050 (or Exterior #4050)

(viscosity components)
same as above

(color components)
same as above

**** use only .75oz of color components.

post #342 of 1426 Old 09-04-2007, 06:16 AM

thanks, cynical. that's exactly the information I was looking for. just to be fair, zductive, pm'd me the same info last night. so thanks to both of you.
post #343 of 1426 Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry robert.payne about not getting the formula to you in time, have been out of town a few days but I see you got it, great, good luck with the screen.

Golffnutt

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #344 of 1426 Old 09-04-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zductive View Post

What do you see in Black Flame that makes it better than SilverFire? The recipe has a lot less pearl which seems like it would reduce the gain.

I have my prepped Sintra sheet in the Garage waiting to be painted - wondered if I missed something in the Black Flame???

BTW - anybody else find that their garage is incredibly dusty? I need to build a paint booth inside the garage before I can paint my screen.

Taliaferro

Black Flame is suppose to give you even more color pop (more plasma like I think) than Silver Fire due to the mix having more colors than Silver Fire but for the difference in money I think I am going with Silver Fire first and see what I think before trying the Black Flame.

Golffnutt

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #345 of 1426 Old 09-07-2007, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Black Flame is suppose to give you even more color pop (more plasma like I think) than Silver Fire due to the mix having more colors than Silver Fire but for the difference in money I think I am going with Silver Fire first and see what I think before trying the Black Flame.

Golffnutt

As far as my recollection goes back (Black Flame) and (Silver Fire) were the same paint mix. The name was changed to Silver Fire because Black Flame became a commercial product and it was getting confusing if not controversial.

I do think Silver Fire later underwent some changes but work on the DIY Black Flame pretty much stopped.

The guys that pioneered both these screen paints are no longer around to comment and others out there that have followed this closer than me correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know the last mix that was reposted for SF was the most correct ????

Bud

post #346 of 1426 Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 AM

The recipe above in #341 is indeed the last iteration of the Silver Fire mix I ever saw posted. The original recipe called for more pearl (48 oz), silver (16 oz), UPW (8 oz) and gold (10 oz). I was told by its creators that SF was close but not equal to the commercial BF mix.

I tried the Silver Fire HG application for my first DIY screen right out of the gate. I did not have good results and believe it was a poor decision given my inexperience. I have no doubt that many people have successfully executed this screen but do realize it's on the complex end of DIY screens which means more variables that determine the success or failure of your project. And for me, the incremental gain from pulling it off was not worth the trouble and expense of giving it another try instead of going with a simpler approach the second time around.

I gave a little more feedback to a guy on the S-I-L-V-E-R thread who had similar results to mine...

Here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post11412306

And here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post11415282
post #347 of 1426 Old 09-07-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
From the source:

"SILVER FIRE"

(base components)
24 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Pearl #02601 @Michaels
16 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic #02603@Michaels
8 oz. Behr Interior UPW Flat #1050 (or Exterior.#4050) @ Home Depot
6 oz. Delta Pale Metallic Gold #02624 or Folk Art -Champaign Gold Metallic @Michaels

(viscosity components)
24 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin Finish @Michaels & Home Depot
10 oz. Distilled / Tap Water "NO" Distilled or Filtered Water OK.

(color components)
60 ml (2 oz) Distilled / Tap Water
60 ml (2 oz) Delta Pale Metallic Gold #02624 or Folk Art -Champaign Gold Metallic @Michaels
30 ml Delta Cardinal Red #02077 @Michaels
17.5 ml Windsor & Newtwon "Galleria" - Pthalo Green (PG7) @Michaels
12.5 ml Delta Ultra Blue #02038 @Michaels

The "Found @ Michaels" ingredients might be, and probably are available at Hobby Lobby.

Silver Fire - L (Lite)**

** use 2 oz. of the 'color components' and add/mix it to the 'base & viscosity components'

Silver Fire - SL (SuperLite)***

*** use 1 oz. of the 'color components' and add/mix it to the 'base & viscosity components'

"SILVER FIRE HG" (High Gain)****

(base components)
36 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Pearl #02601
12 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic #02603
8 oz. Delta Pale Metallic Gold #02624 or Folk Art -Champaign Gold Metallic
7 oz. Behr Interior UPW Flat #1050 (or Exterior #4050)

(viscosity components)
same as above

(color components)
same as above

**** use only .75oz of color components.

Folk Art -Champaign Gold Metallic- is the replacement for the Delta Pale Metallic Gold
PG7 (P)Thalo green is a "Primary Color" and does not have to be a "W&N" product. It virtually always comes in a "Tube" not a bottle, and is located in the Artists Acrylic "Tube Paint" Dept. in Artists Craft stores.

RS-MMMaxx (for moderate ambient light)
16 oz. Delta Pearl Metallic #02601
10 oz. Delta Silver Metallic #02603
7 oz. UPW flat
3 oz. Folk Art (Plaid) Champagne Metallic
14 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin finish
14 oz. distilled/tap water

RS-MMMaxx LL (for lower lumen PJ's, and for completely controlled lighting)
16 oz. Delta Pearl Metallic #02601
8 oz. Delta Silver Metallic #02603
10 oz. UPW flat
2 oz. Folk Art (Plaid) Champagne Metallic
14 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin finish
14 oz. distilled/tap water

OK, from the other source. Said to be up-to-date as of today.
post #348 of 1426 Old 09-07-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

As far as my recollection goes back (Black Flame) and (Silver Fire) were the same paint mix. The name was changed to Silver Fire because Black Flame became a commercial product and it was getting confusing if not controversial.

I do think Silver Fire later underwent some changes but work on the DIY Black Flame pretty much stopped.

The guys that pioneered both these screen paints are no longer around to comment and others out there that have followed this closer than me correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know the last mix that was reposted for SF was the most correct ????

Bud,

Black Flame is definitely a different formula than Silver Fire and is patented by PB-Max and possibly Mississippi Man and is for commercial sale in premixed version. Reason I know it is a differenct mix is because both of these individuals told me it was and I believe them. Just wanted to clear this up.

Golffnutt

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #349 of 1426 Old 09-07-2007, 03:20 PM

I've said this several times, your chances of getting neutral gray paint utilizing popsicle paints are probably similar to winning the lottery jackpot.

Neutral grays were always the holy grail of gray paints. Why? Well read my signature line which comes from a professor of Color Science at Rochester Institute of Technology.

So how does one make a neutral gray. Well you have to start off with pure colors. And that's not all, they have to have the same luminance values in order to achieve a balanced neutral gray. If any of the three colors you use to make your gray have different luminosity...

Irregardless of all this, folks have asked for data regarding this formula from the start and there was never any inkling from the providers that they'd give it. Why because they don't own a spectrophotometer and they cannot do the readings therefore they have no way of knowing what they have created other than their eyes. I, for one, find no comfort in that.

Early next week I'll be mixing up a batch of this brew and taking readings with my new X-Rite/Greta Macbeth Spetrophotometer. I won't be doing any pictures of screen shots until I have a bit more time (I'm working on a bunch of neutral gray candidates at the moment). But until then, I'd highly recommend proven methods over popsicle stick paints. Proven methods at $9 a quart.

mech
post #350 of 1426 Old 09-07-2007, 03:32 PM

mech...

Have you mixed S-I-L-V-E-R or BF or SF, and then compared to a $9 solution, side-by-side?
post #351 of 1426 Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Not yet... but I'm gonna. No plans for S-I-L-V-E-R yet though. Neutrals first, than elaborate stuff later. BTW did ya watch the videos yet? Good stuff in them!

mech
post #352 of 1426 Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

B Reason I know it is a different mix is because both of these individuals told me it was and I believe them. Just wanted to clear this up.

Golffnutt

they told me the same..I'm not risking making a mistake with the DIY version...fill in the blanks on the rest.
post #353 of 1426 Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
In the beginning there was a DIY screen paint mix called Black Flame. It consisted of ingredients and proportions similar to the current Silver Fire.

A commercial version was developed using different ingredients not generally available at your local Michaels or Home Depot.

Since Black Flame was the name of a commercial product it was no longer acceptable to use this name for a DIY screen paint mix. I seem to remember the Black Flame thread was closed.

In an effort to keep the formula available I started a thread using the name Delta Moon. I reposted as much information as I could find on the Black Flame mix and application instructions.

After a short hiatus pb_maxxx started this thread to present the DIY version of Black Flame under the name Silver Fire.

I do believe there has been some further refinement of the mix so that in fact the current mix formula is indeed different than the original Black Flame DIY mix.

If this is not an accurate summary of the history of Black Flame & Silver Fire then I hope MM or PB will contact me and I will provide a corrected summary.
post #354 of 1426 Old 09-10-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I am getting ready to paint my Silver Fire screen and have some questions that I really hope someone can help answer for me.

Question 1 - You have base components, viscosity components, and color components. Do you mix all three components at one time into one bucket or do you mix all 3 individually then pour them into one bucket?

Question 2 - Under color components it lists 3 colors and their quantities then below it is an asterisk that says add 3 oz. of each of these colors. Do I add 3 oz. of each color to the listed quantities under the color components listing or do I just add 3 oz. total and forget the quantities (30ml, 80ml, 12 ml) listed in the components listing or do I add 3 oz. to the quantities listed under color components listing? Why would you list and say add 3 oz. then list different quantities under the color component listing, this is what is confusing me.

Question 3 - Will this make up enough paint for 3-4 coats for my 62" x 117" screen? If not can someone give me the proper quantities?

Here's the latest. "Silver Fire" mix

(base components)
24 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Pearl #02601
16 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic #02603
8 oz. Behr Interior UPW Flat #1050 (or Exterior #4050)

(viscosity components)
20 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin Finish
20 oz. Distilled / Tap Water

(color components)
30 ml Delta Cardinal Red #02077
18 ml Windsor & Newtwon "Galleria" - Pthalo Green (PG7)
12 ml Delta Ultra Blue #02038
4 oz. Distilled / Tap Water

* use 3 oz. of the 'color components' and add/mix it to the 'base & viscosity components'

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #355 of 1426 Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

mix each up seperately then pour the viscosity into the base. next add 3oz of the color components that you mixed to the base and viscosity and give it a real good mix.

pour in the cup and spray.
post #356 of 1426 Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 PM

You will have 60ml (2 oz) of the color that you will mix with the 4 oz of water. That gives you 6 oz of the color mixture. You can then add 3 oz of that mixture for the darkest or .75 oz for the lightest silverfire.

I believe that this makes about 3/4 gallon of paint. Seems like that would be enough for your screen.
post #357 of 1426 Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, I think I have it now, really really appreciate the help.

Golffnutt

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #358 of 1426 Old 09-12-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical2 View Post

mech...

Have you mixed S-I-L-V-E-R or BF or SF, and then compared to a $9 solution, side-by-side?

Just about everything's been purchased - bought all but the pthalo green. I'm working on that and should have it today or tomorrow. I'll retake a pic with the right green instead of my wrong green in this one.

We have SilverFire, SW Gray Sceen*, SW Soothing White*, TV Winter Mist*, TV Winter Mountain*, and then the EasyFlex 04 06 and 08. The '*' denotes the neutral grays. Bear with me, it'll be a week or two or three. But there will be a comparison! And don't worry MMan! I will be unbiased and eat crow if necessary! These will all be tested and photographed in a new thread when it's done. There will be photos and data to go with it.

mech
post #359 of 1426 Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM

I should add, I'll be spraying the SF with a HVLP gun - not the Wagner though.

Also, if anyone can answer this for me, when I was calling around looking for the W & N pthalo green, the PG7 meant nothing to the clerk and he asked if I wanted the 'yellow' or 'blue' shade of W & N pthalo green? Someone throw me a bone!

mech
post #360 of 1426 Old 09-12-2007, 02:05 PM

Liked: 12
I think this is the right stuff:

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page