Using the Great stuff was not as easy as you might expect. Because the product is designed to seal leaks, it expanded quickly at the end of the tube with the air source. The problem that I had was that the Great Stuff would expand and block air from the back side of the foam that I had sprayed in. Without air, this foam did not expand well. I tried several methods. The first was attaching a long plastic tube to the end of the nozzle to deliver the Great Stuff deep into the roller. However this gave the result I described. I then tried to do a little at a time. Still, I got gaps of pipe that were unfilled. In the end the only solution that seemed to work was drilling holes every 18 inches or so into the pipe. I'd spray foam into one hole and let the foam expand and dry. Then I'd continue to the next hole until I had the entire pipe filled. This may not have been necessary as even with the pipe not having full coverage, the pipe appeared quite dead sounding when I tapped it with a screw driver. To be honest, I do not think entire pipe has to be filled, just enough to stop the pipe from ringing. After all of my effort, I did not want to leave anything to chance so filled the entire pipe. Everything should be ready in the morning to attach the screen material. First, I am going to reinstall the roller into my valance. I did spray dampening material inside the valance. The combination of the foam and it should have reduced the sound. I will test and then disassemble. If all goes well, I should mount the material to the roller in the morning.
Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.