Building electric roll down screen, here's some parts - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 252 Old 10-20-2007, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Glad you reduced those wrinkles. I am still trying to make an IR control for my motor, let see how it turns out. This project is stating to get fairly complex!

sCiEnt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 252 Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been following this thread for a while, and contributed some at the beginning. THought I would chime in--perhaps some will find this to benefit them.

I used a somfy motor that I bought for blinds, and an aluminum pole designed for the somfy motor. It was a bit more than I usually pay, but it was worth it for the IR remote and limits that could be set (incidentally, not only are there stops for fully retracted and fully extended, but intermediate stops as well, if people want to use them for constant width aspect ratio changes.

Anyway, my screen is a roll of vinyl that I picked up from the local fabric store, originally white, but painted with one of Tiddler's paint concoctions. I painted borders as well for 2.35:1 aspect ratio (8 feet wide). The motor works like a charm. The nice thing about the vinyl is that it is very thick, and lays very flat with no wrinkling at all. One slight issue is that it has a slight memory, so when the screen retracts, there is a slight curve at the bottom that lasts for about 30 seconds or so, then lays completely flat. There is another slight issue I have with curling along the vertical sides, but I am planning to add some tab tensioners to the side to straighten that up. Overall, we are very pleased.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #243 of 252 Old 10-23-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

I have been following this thread for a while, and contributed some at the beginning. THought I would chime in--perhaps some will find this to benefit them.

I used a somfy motor that I bought for blinds, and an aluminum pole designed for the somfy motor. It was a bit more than I usually pay, but it was worth it for the IR remote and limits that could be set (incidentally, not only are there stops for fully retracted and fully extended, but intermediate stops as well, if people want to use them for constant width aspect ratio changes.

Anyway, my screen is a roll of vinyl that I picked up from the local fabric store, originally white, but painted with one of Tiddler's paint concoctions. I painted borders as well for 2.35:1 aspect ratio (8 feet wide). The motor works like a charm. The nice thing about the vinyl is that it is very thick, and lays very flat with no wrinkling at all. One slight issue is that it has a slight memory, so when the screen retracts, there is a slight curve at the bottom that lasts for about 30 seconds or so, then lays completely flat. There is another slight issue I have with curling along the vertical sides, but I am planning to add some tab tensioners to the side to straighten that up. Overall, we are very pleased.

If you used a piece of pipe for the bottom bar then just fill it with lead bird shot. I did that with my screens and it really helped to flatten out the screen.

I also have some curling along the vertical edges. It turns out I have a 120" 16:9 screen but actually prefer an image around 110". If anyone is planning on painting a retractable screen like we have I would suggest allowing for about 6" side borders if possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
post #244 of 252 Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

If you used a piece of pipe for the bottom bar then just fill it with lead bird shot. I did that with my screens and it really helped to flatten out the screen.

I also have some curling along the vertical edges. It turns out I have a 120" 16:9 screen but actually prefer an image around 110". If anyone is planning on painting a retractable screen like we have I would suggest allowing for about 6" side borders if possible.

I think I have 4 inch borders, actually. The curling doesn't affect the screen at all, as it is only the border that curls.

post #245 of 252 Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 PM

Steve, how do you intend to add tensioning to your system? Also whats the Somfy motor that you picked up that came with the IR. I just got one as well (515S2) but no IR remote. So I am in the process of making an IR receiver to interface with the motor.

sCiEnt
post #246 of 252 Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Liked: 10
I'm hoping I can retrofit my existing fabric to add the tensioning system. I haven't thought too much about it yet, since my current setup is working pretty well.

My Somfy motor (LT 550R2 RTS CMO) uses a R/F remote, not I/R. This is a pain, because I can not control the motor using my Pronto remote.

I found a Somfy I/R to R/F converter on Ebay and hope to hook it up one of these days. I spent way too much on the converter, but I can't stand having 2 remotes... one for the screen and the Pronto for everything else.

The converter is called "Universal RTS Interface". It allow you to control your R/F motor from just about any source... a PC (via RS232), a home automation controller (via dry contact closures), or I/R. You can find information on Worthington Distributions web site. Look for the Somfy Controls pdf document.
post #247 of 252 Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt View Post

I just got one as well (515S2) but no IR remote. So I am in the process of making an IR receiver to interface with the motor.

I believe Bulldogger is controlling his motor using an I/R interface box. Look back thru the previous posts... you should see some details on how he rigged it up.
post #248 of 252 Old 10-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Steve, how do you intend to add tensioning to your system?

Try contracting Chris (chris@seymourav.com) about tensioning systems. Bulldogger purchased a tensioning system and screen from him. I'm sure Chris can help you out. You may find some information on his web site. http://www.seymourav.com
post #249 of 252 Old 10-25-2007, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the info Steve. I think I will try out the screen without the tensioning system first and see how that works out.

Yes I remember seeing the "Universal RTS Interface" on ebay and was pretty expensive. I use a Logitech and I too don't want to have another remote lying around so decided to go IR.

sCiEnt
post #250 of 252 Old 10-26-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve, how do you intend to add tensioning to your system? Also whats the Somfy motor that you picked up that came with the IR. I just got one as well (515S2) but no IR remote. So I am in the process of making an IR receiver to interface with the motor.

I got the LT-30, which is sold at this website: http://www.av-outlet.com/index.html?...tml&lang=en-us

If you go to Roller Shade Components on the left, you can click on IR-motors to see the LT-30.

for shades, but it works great for screens. And since I am using painted vinyl, with a weight at the bottom, my screen is very heavy (not nearly as heavy, but the feel of the screen is similar to the lead shields you wear at the dentist when they take x-rays.)

The motor handles my screen with ease. (Of course, a little slower on the way up than on the way down).

I purchased the remote control, the battery pack, and the motor. I ordered a rollease tube from another source ($60 or so). The whole set up cost me about $200 for all the pieces. It was fun putting it all together, and my wife is thrilled that all she has to do now is point and click at the screen.

post #251 of 252 Old 01-12-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

I got the LT-30, which is sold at this website: http://www.av-outlet.com/index.html?...tml&lang=en-us

If you go to Roller Shade Components on the left, you can click on IR-motors to see the LT-30.

Steve,

Have you gotten your remote to learn the Somfy's codes?

The website you shared now says that the somfy IR codes are not learnable.

Thanks for the info and the link.

Best Regards,
Doug
post #252 of 252 Old 01-26-2009, 05:21 AM

I spoke to Somfy and the codes are not learnable. But I also hear they will soon be coming out with a new version of the LT-30 that has learnable codes.

sCiEnt
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page