help! need to hang Laminate! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
bw1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Im suppost to receive my hd1000u tomorrow and I ordered a sheet of Wilsonart DW 5x12 (no 5x10 available) which is also here. Im not building anything fancy in terms of a home theater but I need to find a simple way of hanging this massive sheet of laminate.

So far I cant see any reason why I shouldnt cut it down to just over 9' as this should still leave me room for 120" of screen (60x107). So Im left with hanging a 5x9 sheet of laminate onto the wall. Whats the easiest/best way to to this? I dont want anything permanent and would like to be able to easily remove the screen.

My ideas so far are to set on 3 5 gallon buckets on floor, or to hang from ceiling using hooks/chain. Im concerned that the sheet wont stay straight/rigid. If memory serves me right this stuff comes in a roll and isnt going to want to stay flat. Should I maybe screw a 1x4 to the header of the screen and hook/chain to ceiling from the board? Is there any safe way (bearing in mind weight of the sheet) to hook directly to the screen like drill small holes along the upper edge of the screen and hanging from there without any board attached? Or would that make it crack/break?

Im paying nearly 200 for this sheet and want to make sure I dont wreck it or otherwise. Help me out!

bw1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have read several ideas.I think the easiest would be to make a simple 1/4 frame and glue it down.

My diy screen situation keeps changing but if I decide to give laminate a go this is the route I will probably take. I would make the frame a bit larger than the sheet so you can easily apply a trim.

I have also read that something as simple as mirror clips work really well too.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can drill pretty close to the edge. The sheet wants to go flat but its still flexible.

Best bet is to glue it to a flat mounting board as a sub surface or to screw it to a frame. I just double side taped it to a panel I had already pounded into a wall after I hung it with a french cleat type device.

In your situation, I would trim it to 1.2 to 1 inch wider and talelr than needed, and drill holes every foot to 2 foot around the perimeter and then screw through those guide holes into a velvet wrapped frame aound the perimeter. Or use glue.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #4 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 08:08 PM

I want to build a laminate screen too (4x8), but I need to hover this screen about 10" off the wall to clear artwork and mantle. I could also use some ideas on how to "float" a 4x8 screen off this wall to clear the mantel. It will hang about 6" below the mantel. We have cathedral ceilings, so a ceiling mount is out of the question at this point.

If I could put it right on the wall, I would just build a baseboard framing and use small nails to nail it to the frame. Then glue velveteen over the wooden frame. Then just hang the screen like a picture, with hangars on the two corners of the top frame.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-20-2006, 08:19 AM

I have a similar problem as TeamSpeed but mine will hang over a window.Does anyone have any ideas?

IT'S NOT PARANOIA IF THEY REALLY ARE AFTER YOU!!
post #6 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 12:05 PM

I have a similar problem to mtn.guy, but I want to have it easy to put up and take down- so as to not block off the window when not watching.

How heavy is the laminate- is this at all feasible, and do you have any suggestions?

Assume the window will be covered with BOC during use (or it will be dark out, one of the two)
post #7 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EocThermos View Post

How heavy is the laminate-

General Purpose grade is .322 pounds per square foot = 10.3 pounds for a 4x8 sheet.

Postforming grade is .260 pounds per square foot = 8.32 pounds for a 4x8 sheet.

Verticle grade is .186 pounds per square foot = 5.95 pounds for a 4x8 sheet.

For larger sizes just do the math, but it's pretty light and virtually indestructable as a screen.

bw1-- that is awful expensive for a sheet, you couldn't find any other places that sell it? Not even from the Wilsonart store locator? The typical price I have seen is $1.6 a square foot, that seems about average. A 5x12 sheet should run $96 or less. Home Depot adds a $15 handling fee on top of that as well so you would be looking at around $110 for a 5x12 sheet, less for a 5x10 or 5x8...

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #8 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
How tall are your windows?

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #9 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 05:06 PM

I believe I have a solution for my hanging my screen 10" off the wall.

I would take a pic to describe what my situation is, but let's see if i can verbalize it first.

I have a wood mantel that sticks out about 9". I have things like a clock and pictures on the mantel, and a large picture hanging about 20" above the mantel with a large oak frame.

Now, I will be building a 15:9 ratio screen using Polywall, framed with baseboard type wood, roughly a 48" x 82" screen.

I finally figured out how to make this hang off the wall such that I could quickly remove it and stow it in another room against the wall when not in use.

I plan on mounting a cross beam on the back of the screen horizontally from the frame side rails, about 25" up the screen from the bottom of the frame. I then will be mounting two eyelet bolts at the 33% and 66% points on that cross-beam. I then will be mounting picture hangar wire between these two eyelets with alot of slack.

On the wall in question, I will put two white hooks under the picture on the wall, just long enough to clear the framed art just enough to get the wire over them to hook on. The idea is that gravity will want to pull the top of the frame off the wall toward the floor. The bottom of the screen will be resting on the edge of the mantel making a pivot point.

I then only have to adjust the wire in the eyelets to the point that the screen sits almost perpendicular to the wall, suspended by the wire on the two hooks under the framed art, and resting aginst the edge of the mantel on the bottom.

To remove, just lift up and unhook the hangar wire on the screen from the two hooks and stow away.

Probably as clear as mud. I hope it works, it is just a concept at this point.

For mounting over a window, I am not sure. Could you mount a couple of brass L-brackets above the window, and hide it in a valence of some sort, then hang the screen from those brackets with decorative chain and hooks on the screen frame?
post #10 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Firstly, thanks to all in this forum who gave me help when I needed it.

Here is my solution to free hanging a Wilson DW 120" diag. screen..

It's hanging in my basement media room by hooks from 2 heavy duty eyes that are screwed into the floor joists. The frame was made from 1" aluminum tubing. The laminate is screwed to the frame, and I fashioned a black wooden border to finish it off. It can swing up almost flush to the ceiling, out of the way of my Sony 57" RPTV which is used for casual viewing/surfing.

Hope that others will be enjoying their new laminate screens soon.

Happy Holidays!
post #11 of 14 Old 12-22-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks similiar to what I would like to do. Do you have close ups of your joints and where you have the laminate screwed to the frame? How about a close up of the border?

I'm having my machine shop make the frame for me, and I was going to do a wood border similiar to what I have on my fixed screen (this one will hang in front).
post #12 of 14 Old 12-22-2006, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
To George,

I used metal corner angles and 'T' braces screwed to the 1" square aluminum tubing from the back side. The screen is screwed to the frame from the front side close to the edges of the laminate with pan head sheet metal screws spaced about 12" all around. I drilled holes first to avoid chipping the laminate.

Without the center braces, the frame would be very easy to bend. As it is, even with the screen attached (which itself acts a a sort of overall bracing) it has to be handled with a bit of care.

The wood borders are made from decorative edging strips from Home Depot that I mitered at the corners, and sprayed with a cheap can of flat black paint. They're only attached with Velcro dots, spaced about a 12" apart all around. At first I was just going to use black sports tape for the border, but I didn't like the way it looked (although it did the job.)

There is one thing I didn't mention. The aluminum tubing was only available 96" long. Since I wanted at least a 120" (diagonal) screen, I needed to add two 11" extension pieces to the top and bottom of the frame. I suppose it could have been welded, but I took the cheaper route of simply joining the 2 pieces by fashioning a slightly undersize diameter, square wooden insert about 4" long to fit snugly inside the hollow aluminum frame, and then made the connection a bit more solid by screwing a straight metal straping brace across the joint. It's not the perfect solution, but it works for me.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-22-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett View Post

How tall are your windows?

not sure if that was directed at me or mountain guy, but the window i'm trying to hang it over is about 68" by 68"; it is 6 inches below the ceiling, 18 or so off the ground, and has a few feet on either side.

Its not that heavy, so i was thinking something i could just hook it over when hanging it, and then easily taking it down when not in use.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrele View Post

Firstly, thanks to all in this forum who gave me help when I needed it.

Here is my solution to free hanging a Wilson DW 120" diag. screen..

It's hanging in my basement media room by hooks from 2 heavy duty eyes that are screwed into the floor joists. The frame was made from 1" aluminum tubing. The laminate is screwed to the frame, and I fashioned a black wooden border to finish it off. It can swing up almost flush to the ceiling, out of the way of my Sony 57" RPTV which is used for casual viewing/surfing.

Hope that others will be enjoying their new laminate screens soon.

Happy Holidays!

Hi,
The linked images are not accessible. I'm also looking to hang the laminate from the ceiling and I need some visual ideas.
When i go to the website boomspeed[dot]com it requires login.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page