Best paint for HD1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just upgraded my projector from the H30 to the Mits HD1000U. I have a dedicated HT used for 80% movies totally dark and 20% HD sports with some light. Ceiling is painted black and walls are dark green (Theater is very dark with lights off) My screen for my Optoma was a DIY painted screen with Behr Silverscreen, Ultra White and WOP (can't remember the mixture-it was 2 years ago). I expereminted with about 6 different combinations when I painted my first screen but just don't have the time to do these comparisons right now. What would be the best screen for this projector. I want to stay with a painted screen.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm wondering the same thing since I'm buying the HD1000 also in a week or 2. But I'm going to see how it looks on my UPW painted screen first. Have you got it set up yet?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have the projector on a stand until my mount arrives. Out of the box picture is without a doubt a big improvement over the H30. HDTV is amazing while DVD on my progressive scan Sony is better but not as dramatic. While the picture is great, I know it can be better with a different paint composition for the screen. I might get ambitious this weekend, buy some paint, and test them out. Can somebody give me 3-4 of the best possible solutions (I don't mind some mixing or top coating.) I read a lot about using Grays (UPW with BL). I was thinking of using 4 different shades of gray and them adding top coat to see what is best. I will probably add just plan UPW and of course my current screen as comparisons as well.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What about Silverscreen by itself? Or is it too dark?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
There are quite a few quality OTS (Off The Shelf) grays that I looked at and gathered color specifications on, as well as tested in the Grays- Simple one can paints, and one very neutral... thread.

These are very nice and easy to use colors and even come in a matte finish, which is ideal for use as a screen. Shades are covered from a very light neutral gray to darker shades of neutral gray.

There are also some advanced mixes that have been proven to be outstanding methods.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #6 of 8 Old 01-11-2007, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

OK, here is what I am going with, unless somebody believes that I really should try something different. Keep in mind I am in a light controlled dedicated HT with dark green walls and drywall ceiling painted black

SW7071
SW7071 w/25% Minwax CSP and 10% DW
Behr UPW
Behr SS
Original Screen of Behr SS, UPW and WOP

I have leftover Behr paint from my original screen, so I think I am going to splurge and get a gallon of the matte SW7071. I am going to paint a separate piece of drywall in 4 sections and compare it with my original screen. I will try to take pictures and post them. I don't have a great digital camera but I will do my best. Hopefully I will have some info by Monday.

oops - thought I had some Behr SS left but I only have it mixed with the UPW and the WOP.

I am getting some screen samples from Carada and Da-lite for some comparisons.

I will probably wait until next weekend to do my comparisons, giving me time to paint a couple of coats on my sample drywall.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Got ambitous over the weekend and made a test drywall. From left to right on the top is UPW, Carada BW sample, Carada HC Gray, Carada CW, bottom two panels are UPW with Poly Top Coat and plaint ol' SS. The screen in the background is my original screen of SS, WOP and UPW. All paint consisted of only one coat, except for my current screen. Most of my viewing is done in total darkness (except maybe the light from the popcorn popper )so that is how I tested. My preference (along with the other two members of my family) prefered the UPW with Poly top coat. The picture quality seemed better on this surface than all others. The colors had the most pop and the white was really a brilliant white. The Carada screens were no better than the DIY paint screens. I thought the colors, especially the whites, appeared dingy on the SS and HC Gray screen.

Some novice pictures:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...rmon01/LOR.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...n01/5thel2.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...n01/5thel3.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...on01/5thel.jpg

I believe the UPW with Poly will serve my purpose well. I even turned on some lights by the concession area

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...on01/candy.jpg

and I still prefer the UPW w/Poly. I'm sure my room conditions greatly influence this. I will post full screen UPW w/Poly next week, calibrated to the best of my ability.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Did you ever test the SW7071? I have a very similar setup as you, but was going with the SW until I read this. I will have a bit more AL than you, but if the UPW is better then I might give it a go.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page