Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 251 Old 05-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnston007 View Post

See...here's the thing: PS07 *does* have a "sparkle" to it, which would make me think of the "material where you can actually SEE the metallic content at the surface will most likely be unsuitable for most uses." However, the PS90 has a completely different look/finish, and as a result, does not have the "sparkle" to it. It seems to be a magical, groovy, and somewhat unique color/material.

So I've been gone for awhile and now I'm just getting caught up today. What exactly does this mean??? Pearl Silver Crystal has sparkle as well, just not as much as the textured gloss finish. So now it's finish is magical groovy?

Folks it's a shade of gray with an glossy type beaded texture on top. Nothing magical, nothing groovy.

mech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 251 Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post

So I've been gone for awhile and now I'm just getting caught up today. What exactly does this mean??? Pearl Silver Crystal has sparkle as well, just not as much as the textured gloss finish. So now it's finish is magical groovy?

Folks it's a shade of gray with an glossy type beaded texture on top. Nothing magical, nothing groovy.

mech

Folks, it's a better (rather subjective assessment, I acknowledge) shade of grey with a textured/finished surface that makes it perform unlike any of the other Wilsonart laminates I've looked at.

And I will restate, contrary to mech (whom I do respect and admire for his DIY efforts and results), that PS90 *is* indeed a rather magical, groovy, and very cool laminate color and finish.

-p
post #183 of 251 Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

After reflecting on this a bit...

I would like to restate that, as I began this effort (for *my* "perfect" screen), I wanted something that was rather inexpensive, easy to install, and provided performance relatively close to a professionally manufactured screen.

My search (which could not and would not have begun had it not been for this website and the expert help of Prof, mech, and wbasset) led me to DW and FG. For my setup (IN72 throwing a ~110" image, controlled lighting), neither option looked as good as I'd imagined (seeing a similar setup at my brother-in-law's using BOC).

The search was on! I noticed that Wilsonart produces a decent variety of "grey." None of these appeared to work for my setup. Too dark and too "darker." Then one day I saw Chargrey Suede--a white and grey mottled pattern that looked pretty light when you stepped back a bit. That same day I found the "sparkly" Pearl Silver LS (gloss). Damn, the sparkly Pearl Silver wouldn't work (too shiny) but the CgS was VERY impressive--producing a far better image than I had expected and performing far better than either FG or DW in either ambient lighting or complete darkness.

After ordering and installing my CgS screen, I believe someone here suggested looking for the Pearl Silver in a different finish. I called Wilsonart and discovered that the most matte surface for which they produce Pearl Silver is Crystal. I ordered a sample and, in reproducing all viewing types and scenarios, I believe were I to do my project over, I'd order and install Pearl Silver, Crystal (PS90). edit: The reason: PS90's finish provides a certain level of POP that I do not believe I could achieve without overcoating my CgS (or DW or FG) with some fancy, labor-intensive material.

This is my opinion, but I feel somewhat justified in this opinion--it is what my eyes (and my family's eyes) tell me--for our setup.

One may use flashes or strobes to achieve a perceived potential to hotspot--this, in my opinion, merely reflects a maximum potential under extreme conditions rather than average performance under normal conditions.

I'd like to see, and am excited to see, a full screen in PS90. But as I have limited funds and time (graduate student) I am more than satisfied with my CgS screen. Oh--my parents visited and wanted to know how much the screen was (expecting thousands). When I went up and hit the screen they were shocked to find out it was a laminate. They both agreed that the image was outstanding.

Now I am predicating this on the fact that I am not an audio- or video-phile. I am merely an average guy looking for the most from his money--especially concerning home theater.

If it interests anybody, I set up a few samples on my flatbed scanner (which in and of itself may be a prime example of a maximum potential under extreme conditions) but may provide some discussion of color/shade/luminosity.

post #184 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:

[Snip] My search (which could not and would not have begun had it not been for this website and the expert help of Prof, mech, and wbasset) led me to DW and FG. For my setup (IN72 throwing a ~110" image, controlled lighting), neither option looked as good as I'd imagined (seeing a similar setup at my brother-in-law's using BOC).[Snip]

I am not disagreeing with what you say you are seeing, after all you are the one seeing it not me.

What I find interesting and a little difficult/confusing is you're statement above, that you see better results or no improvement with DW when comparing a 1.0 gain screen over one that has been tested to have a 1.24 gain. Unless it is hot spotting, it would seem that the higher gain of DW would provide a brighter and more vivid image and it sounds like you are saying the opposite. That is an interesting observation.

I will reread the thread, but how big were the test samples? Sometimes it is hard to get an idea of what a full screen will look like with a small sample. Are you saying that there are no sparklies or any hotspotting issues with this material at all? From the other thread it sounds like the surface sheen has alot to do with hot spotting more than the color and the CsG and PS90 seem to have even more of a surface sheen. Any ideas why there are no hotspotting or sparkly issues with these? I have to admit, some sort of explanation sounds better than saying its 'magical'
post #185 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sennin View Post

I am not disagreeing with what you say you are seeing, after all you are the one seeing it not me.

What I find interesting and a little difficult/confusing is you're statement above, that you see better results or no improvement with DW when comparing a 1.0 gain screen over one that has been tested to have a 1.24 gain. Unless it is hot spotting, it would seem that the higher gain of DW would provide a brighter and more vivid image and it sounds like you are saying the opposite. That is an interesting observation.

I will reread the thread, but how big were the test samples? Sometimes it is hard to get an idea of what a full screen will look like with a small sample. Are you saying that there are no sparklies or any hotspotting issues with this material at all? From the other thread it sounds like the surface sheen has alot to do with hot spotting more than the color and the CsG and PS90 seem to have even more of a surface sheen. Any ideas why there are no hotspotting or sparkly issues with these? I have to admit, some sort of explanation sounds better than saying its 'magical'

DW simply couldn't produce a good black under any conditions. It could, however, produce an impressive array of greys. Size was four 1.5x3" samples. This result led me to FG which seemed too dark.

CgS is matte. No offensive hotspotting. Good screen and use is several times a week.

PS90 seems to be a good color and the crystal surface performs very interestingly with my projector+setup. Great colors, fleshtones, and good performance under all lighting conditions.

No, I am not making any of this up. This is the truth from where I sit.

-Paul
post #186 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the crystal surface performs very interestingly with my projector+setup

what pj and setup ???

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #187 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

what pj and setup ???

He has a IN72 for a 110" screen. The PJ is 'rated' at 900 lumens - 750 eco mode and 2000:1 contrast.

My setup is a HC3000U with a 100" screen. My PJ is 'rated' at 1000 lumens and a 4000:1 contrast.

The only PJ I'm familiar with is my own. I do know that the IN72 is a newer model than the HC3000U... but that's about it.

mech
post #188 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The IN72 is 480p and the HC3000U is a 720p, not sure how much resolution factors in this analysis.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #189 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 01:46 PM

PJ Central has this:

Compatibility:
HDTV:720p, 1080i, 1080p/60
1080p/24, 1080p/30, 1080p/50
1035i, 575p, 576i
576p
EDTV/480p: Yes
SDTV/480i: Yes
Component Video: Yes
Video: Yes
Digital Input: HDMI (HDCP)
Personal Computers: Yes

I assumed it was 720p... but then I looked at the review, says 480p. Regardless, I wouldn't think resolution would matter with regards to hot spotting. Just the amount of light it's projecting and the color or brightness of the image.

mech
post #190 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Hi guys-- Just wanted to mention that the screen shots I posted of the PS90 were taken using our ancient Sony ('rated' at 450 lumens) projector. To put things in perspective, I think the strobe flash puts out somewhere around a million or so peak lumens (if memory serves correctly the old flashbulbs were between 1-2 million peak lumens, so this may be conservative).

What was interesting, was that the DaLite screen completely washed out. The PS90 was still viewable, at least according to the camera.

When I picked up the (rolled) sheet, the kid at the yard (outdoors, in daylight) said "That's pearl silver? it doesn't look silver to me." And I checked the numbers roll-printed on the back of the sheet, because it wasn't at all what I was expecting. It looked like a very neutral off-white, not even a gray.

I was a little disappointed, because it just looked like a muddy, matte white. Then, once we got it indoors, one of the guys made the comment about how the surface seems to have 'infinite depth' when your eyes get a couple of feet from a full sheet- you have an urge to reach out and touch it, to see where the surface really begins.

I'd already bought 2 quarts of Behr Matte poly, and turned one into "Tiddler's mix #2", in anticipation of the need to 'knock down' the gloss. But this stuff, despite the glossmeter readings (I think 11-16 was within wilsonart specs) just doesn't look 'glossy'. Maybe its the texture, which DOES resemble a glass-beaded metal surface (except there are no visible metallic sparkles to my aging eyes). I'll look at it under a 5x loupe the next time I get a chance to work on it.

It may be a mix of the RGB values (VERY neutral), the specular gain, the neat texture, or a trick of human visual perception, but right now, I'm thinking I won't even need to coat this stuff. Just to be safe, I'll coat a 2 foot x 2 foot sheet with Behr Matte poly, and another 2x2 sheet with Tiddler's #2.

I'll clip 'em to the untreated sheet, and take some more photos.

-bob
post #191 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleScurvy View Post

Hi guys-- Just wanted to mention that the screen shots I posted of the PS90 were taken using our ancient Sony ('rated' at 450 lumens) projector. To put things in perspective, I think the strobe flash puts out somewhere around a million or so peak lumens (if memory serves correctly the old flashbulbs were between 1-2 million peak lumens, so this may be conservative).

What was interesting, was that the DaLite screen completely washed out. The PS90 was still viewable, at least according to the camera.

When I picked up the (rolled) sheet, the kid at the yard (outdoors, in daylight) said "That's pearl silver? it doesn't look silver to me." And I checked the numbers roll-printed on the back of the sheet, because it wasn't at all what I was expecting. It looked like a very neutral off-white, not even a gray.

Yep Bob it's a gray. There's nothing silver about it at all.

Quote:

I was a little disappointed, because it just looked like a muddy, matte white. Then, once we got it indoors, one of the guys made the comment about how the surface seems to have 'infinite depth' when your eyes get a couple of feet from a full sheet- you have an urge to reach out and touch it, to see where the surface really begins.

I'd already bought 2 quarts of Behr Matte poly, and turned one into "Tiddler's mix #2", in anticipation of the need to 'knock down' the gloss. But this stuff, despite the glossmeter readings (I think 11-16 was within wilsonart specs) just doesn't look 'glossy'. Maybe its the texture, which DOES resemble a glass-beaded metal surface (except there are no visible metallic sparkles to my aging eyes). I'll look at it under a 5x loupe the next time I get a chance to work on it.

I'd agree with you again here Bob. That sandy/silica type texture that they used for the gloss coat makes it 'seem' like it won't hotspot, but alas...

Quote:

It may be a mix of the RGB values (VERY neutral), the specular gain, the neat texture, or a trick of human visual perception, but right now, I'm thinking I won't even need to coat this stuff. Just to be safe, I'll coat a 2 foot x 2 foot sheet with Behr Matte poly, and another 2x2 sheet with Tiddler's #2.

I'll clip 'em to the untreated sheet, and take some more photos.

-bob

If you decide to do the poly route pm me. I believe Todd's (tiddler) topcoat requires spraying now due to the amount of pearl poly in it. A small piece could probably be rolled with no adverse effects but don't attempt the big sheet without talking to Todd.

But I love the gameplan. Use the 2X2 cutoffs to determine what topcoat will make it look best and then go from there. The RGB for this gray is darn near the same as Platinum so if you can knock out the hot spotting, it should be a good screen.

Pics are nothing but fun for us!!

mech
post #192 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 PM

Bob,

One other thing, I almost forgot about this, can you try it with your PJ table mounted and then ceiling mounted?

mech
post #193 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

[snip]
It may be a mix of the RGB values (VERY neutral), the specular gain, the neat texture, or a trick of human visual perception, but right now, I'm thinking I won't even need to coat this stuff.
[/snip]
-bob

That's a better, more technical statement than "magical, groovy."

About to post a few screenshots (taken tonight) of the PS90 against my current CgS that should show this "depth" and texture.

-p
post #194 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Looks *darker* than Cgs:

Darker blacks, brighter whites with the lights on:

Texture shot #1

Texture shot #2

Nemo
post #195 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mr. Ray, Lights off:

Mr. Ray, Lights on:

Aeon Flux:

Aeon Flux 2:

Happy Nemo:
post #196 of 251 Old 05-17-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Horrible shots there. I hardly ever make that comment but "Whoops....dar it is!"

No brilliance. No "PoP" No detail.

NO WAY!

I'm sure it must look better in person. It's gotta!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #197 of 251 Old 05-18-2007, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Okay. I accept the "redo" on that assignment.

After this weekend, I'll attempt a different set using different material and different exposures.

-p

edit: It does look better in person. The challenge is capturing it.
post #198 of 251 Old 05-18-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hey. Been there, been faced with that.

Don't crowd the screen. Take your shots from at least 14' -15' away. You want a close up, use your zoom. Keep the camera on Auto, but frame in the image "almost" to the edge of the screen on some shots, include a fair sampling of the screen wall on some, and produce at least one "Room shot". Don't "push" exposure further than what creates an image you can relate to as being "as seen in person".

In doing such photos, we all must aspire to both honest and integrity. Adjusting the camera to produce what you see in direct comparison is not to be construed as cheating, but going too far either way to make your shots show what "you want them to" can be.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #199 of 251 Old 05-18-2007, 08:57 AM

Can see it pretty plainly here. I draw your attention to the mouth folks.

mech
post #200 of 251 Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Almost appears as one was trying to hide something with the camera's shadow?!?!?

Folks, there'll be some new pics in the laminate thread a little later. Transferring them now to my computer.

mech
post #201 of 251 Old 05-18-2007, 10:44 PM

For those who have lost track, mech's photos (on the subject of PS90 and hotspotting) are in the Laminate forum at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10570682

-bob
post #202 of 251 Old 05-19-2007, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Hey. Been there, been faced with that.

Don't crowd the screen. Take your shots from at least 14' -15' away. You want a close up, use your zoom. Keep the camera on Auto, but frame in the image "almost" to the edge of the screen on some shots, include a fair sampling of the screen wall on some, and produce at least one "Room shot". Don't "push" exposure further than what creates an image you can relate to as being "as seen in person".

In doing such photos, we all must aspire to both honest and integrity. Adjusting the camera to produce what you see in direct comparison is not to be construed as cheating, but going too far either way to make your shots show what "you want them to" can be.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck.

MM,

Thank you for the kind words. I am a little frustrated at this point because:

- I am relatively new to HT and laminates
- I am totally excited by the "bang for buck" quality of DIY
- I am totally excited by the positive qualites of laminates
- I love photography, but am completely challenged by capturing accurate screenshots

If I get time (my son was born 4/10 and, as you may guess, am slightly busier than usual helping the wife) I will do some shots with the laminate placed center, left, and right.

Any movie or image recommendations to fully flex a particular laminate? I'd think that we'd want something showing fleshtones, extreme contrast, and vivid colors. This may be the area that I need help with most (followed closely by photography, which you (MM) have provided some guidance).

This PS90 thing has me somewhat upside-down. Placing it next to Da-Lite samples is a very interesting test. Of course, Da-Lite may not be a good metric or standard against which to judge a laminate...

Thank you all for your patience, understanding, and guidance. I will try harder to measure up to the standards you all have established. I am fully willing to bury PS90 (I am not emotionally attached to it and have no plan to redo my CgS screen any time soon); although I am certainly interested in "breaking convention" (in a good way) on laminates.

Respectfully,

-Paul
post #203 of 251 Old 05-19-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
no need to stick your head in the sand and hide...

i see plenty of positives in the ps90 (minus the textured crystal finish). but it's up to you guys to nuetralize the negatives and turn them into positives.

the way i see it... the glass is half full for the ps90... not half empty.

at the very least... you may well have a laminate grey screen candidate for the lower lumen community to consider.
post #204 of 251 Old 05-19-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Any movie or image recommendations to fully flex a particular laminate? I'd think that we'd want something showing fleshtones, extreme contrast, and vivid colors. This may be the area that I need help with most (followed closely by photography, which you (MM) have provided some guidance).

-Paul

Oh my! Let's see now.

Moulin Rouge. (Ahhhhhhhh....Nichole ) You got Flesh, colors, Blacks, Whites. Over the Top colorful costumes, spotlights in dark scenes. Black Tuxes with white shirts.
Nichole's Red Hair and creamy skin against a White Rug while she's lounging and wickedly rolling about on the floor in Black lingerie. Sic 'em.

Finding Nemo .....= Colorful Sushi. The "Dark Tank Shots" abound with Contrast.

Fifth Element ..... Just about anything, but the "Leeloo on a ledge" shots are a reference standard. I like most any "Gary Oldman" shot too.

Starship Troopers... "Don't Bug me" for details. It's all good.

BUT......if you want to give it a REAL test, splash "Happy Feet" up on the ps90. then look into the lightest area for details you would not otherwise see except in such a film. If a surface will render such detail absent due to Hot Spotting, you'll see the worst of it then. But use Sun Glasses.

"Momma always told me not look into the eyes of the Sun......"

Well......., that leaves only me to blame 'cause "Mama Tried".

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #205 of 251 Old 05-23-2007, 05:17 PM

Well, I guess that title is a bit misleading, since I know a few of you are waiting to see the PS90 with a coat of Behr matte poly. For those who are looking to find the Behr matte poly, or the ingredients for "tiddler's mix", here is a shot of our ingredients, and the "Preval" sprayers I like to use for small tests (they run about six bucks each, no CFC's).

I'm hoping to get the test sheets sprayed thursday night, no guarantees, tho!

I'd also like to announce that I've gone completely out of my mind, and am considering making the screen adjustable from flat to torus-- I just HATE it when someone says 'it can't be done'...... but don't worry, I just got "Ice Age" (If it doesn't work out, I can rent 'Happy feet') which ought to have plenty of opportunity to hotspot, and I'll take some shots as soon as I can hang the raw sheet on the wall.

Also, I'll post shrunken images (as I've been doing), but with links to the full-sized images on photobucket, for those who want to 'zoom in', without making everyone else wait for monster files to download. I have a new camera coming, too, so shot quality should improve.

Lastly, with apologies to MississippiMan, Manfred Mann, and Bruce Springsteen, "But momma, that's where the fun is...."

-bob
post #206 of 251 Old 05-24-2007, 11:55 PM

Hi folks-- here are some preliminary images, taken with my ancient digital camera-- I'll take better resolution shots when the new camera comes in. These were all taken at about one in the morning, and we were all stupid from an all-night work session, but I wanted to post something here as soon as we had any test results at all.

First, a flash test for hotspotting with the PS90, plain, coated with Behr Matte Poly, and coated with Tiddler's mix. Note that both the Behr Matte Poly and the Tiddlers mix visibly reduce hotspotting. This was seen as a reduced sheen, even when lit by ordinary room lighting.

Second, a shot with all the lights off, using the movie "Ice Age, the Meltdown" (I'll find some better scenes for the full test)

Lastly, a shot with room lights on , using the same shot from "Ice Age, the Meltdown". The early concensus here is that the PS90 with a coat of Tiddler's mix is a real winner.

And again, I'll get some better shots as soon as I can!

-bob
(UncleScurvy)
post #207 of 251 Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 PM

Hi Tiddler!! I think what I used was actually "Tiddler's Mix #2", if memory serves correctly. The recipe I used was

One quart can of Behr Matte Polyurethane #780
Two 2oz. bottles of FolkArt Metallic White Pearl
One oz. (1/2 of a 2oz. bottle) Delta Silver Metallic #02608
3 drops FolkArt pure Metallic gold (a slight deviation from the classic Tiddler's mix)

For my test sheets, I sprayed it on with a little "Preval" spayer, which left some slight banding. (for the real McCoy, I'll use the Wagner)

Here is a photo of "Tiddler's Mix", in the can, , and the ingredients to make it.

Here is a shot of the ingredients, after mixing with an electric mixer. Man, this stuff is swirly! The coating is thoroughly mixed, but differences in the 'lay' of the individual particles leave swirls. That's why it's so important to spray this stuff, and why your best bet is to spray it like metalflake (taking care that all passes with the gun are in the same direction, to keep the 'lay' consistent)

And lastly, here's the "Tiddler's Mix" in the Preval unit, ready to shoot.

Many thanks to all for your advice, I'll post some decent screen shots in a few days .

-bob
post #208 of 251 Old 05-26-2007, 07:07 PM

Well, Tiddler, I just tried to figure out where in this forum I got that recipe. It may have been one of the 'light fusion' experiments, or one of the "silverscreen topcoat' experiments. At any rate, I have only my handwritten notes, and no reference as to which post it came from. Now I'll have to peel that "Tiddler's Mix" label off the can!

So, I guess we can call this "UncleScurvy's Mix", but I reserve the right to re-name it "Tiddler's Mix", if I ever find the post that inspired me!!

Again, I can't thank the people in this forum enough. I know the "safe option" for our 30 year old, 700 lumen PJ would have been Fashion Gray, but I figured if anyone was going to step forward and spend some $$ on a full sheet of Pearl Silver Crystal, (and potentially, make a lousy screen!) it would probably have to be me!

I was comfortable enough with the results others had seen with the Behr Matte poly, to figure I could always use that to tone down the gloss of the 'crystal' finish. And I needed a lot of gain, so your 'multilayer coating' experiments led to my use of "UncleScurvy's Mix, formerly Tiddler's Mix"!

There is more testing we want to do before committing to a coating, but right now the WilsonArt Pearl Silver Crystal, with a couple of coats of "UncleScurvy's Mix" looks pretty good. Frankly, before I read "Mech's" tips on looking for hotspots, the plain PS90 looked damned good to us (we aren't really AVS guys....).

The coated samples looked "damned good", too, only without hotspotting.

....more photos, as soon as I can take some meaningful ones!!

-bob
post #209 of 251 Old 05-27-2007, 06:30 AM

And as a quick refresher:

Platinum is 186 179 187
Pearl Silver is 188 182 188

Platinum comes in the matte finish and may not need any topcoats. Pearl Silver does not - Crystal finish only. Color-wise they're virtually indistinguishable. Specularity-wise, there's a big difference.

mech
post #210 of 251 Old 05-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Actually, Pearl Silver is available in two finishes--

D487-90 is the "crystal" finish I used
D487-7 is the "textured gloss" finish, previously deemed "way too shiny" in this forum (this is the standard Wilsonart finish for all colors, including Fashion Gray).

Which brings up a question-- since the RGB numbers show, as mech stated, that Fashion Gray and Pearl Silver should be "virtually indistinguishable", why does WilsonArt make BOTH colors, instead of settling on one?

I think the answer lies in part in the names of the products-- both look gray, so why call one "Pearl Silver"? It can't be the texture, because both Fashion Gray and Pearl Silver come "standard" in the "-07 textured gloss" finish, which would result in a "virtually identical", not a "virtually indistinguishable" product. There must be another difference- one not related to glossmeter readings or RGB values

My suspicion is that "pearl silver", although it doesn't appear to be pearly or silver, contains reflective ingredients like very fine mica or metal powders in the mix, to give it that "pearly glow". That would account for the seeming extreme luminosity of the samples we've used, as well as some of pjohnson's rhapsodizing over its "magical" qualities. (and yup, in the dark, it looks like a plasma screen--- amazing brightness for our Precambrian-era projector)

It occurs to me that "Pearl Silver's" gain would be similar to some of the translucent reflective multilayer coatings others (Tiddler in particular) have experimented with.

Here's an idea-- when we've committed to a final screen coating (or lack thereof), I'll pay to ship my large samples (about 24" x 32") to anyone with the gear, the time, and the inclination to do some technical comparisons with Fashion Gray, and figure out if there is really any difference, or if the people at WilsonArt need a lesson in production efficiencies.

-bob (UncleScurvy)
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page