Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see it's also posted here as well.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8496134

Sometimes threads do get too big to easily find information. The index looks like it has a lot of good links in it though. Thats where I found this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 10:52 PM

Hi folks!!

I've been trying to get some decent hotspot-comparison photos, without luck so far. For those who are interested, photos of the almost-complete adjustable torus-to-flat screen are in this forum at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=866210

(Side note to mech -- {you're my designated hotspotting expert}-- I just noticed that when I'm doing hotspotting tests, the 'hotspot' seems to move with the viewer's location. Is that typical? If so, that's why I'm getting lousy screen shots--I'm 6' tall, so I put the sample sheets where I see the hotspots, but the camera is on a tripod about 4 feet from the floor. I upload the photos to my PC, and the damned hotspot has moved to the center of the screen! If that's the case, I can get some good hotspot screenshots this Thursday- with a 3.2 MP camera . Thanks, friend!)

-bob
Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleScurvy View Post

(Side note to mech -- {you're my designated hotspotting expert}-- I just noticed that when I'm doing hotspotting tests, the 'hotspot' seems to move with the viewer's location. Is that typical? If so, that's why I'm getting lousy screen shots--I'm 6' tall, so I put the sample sheets where I see the hotspots, but the camera is on a tripod about 4 feet from the floor. I upload the photos to my PC, and the damned hotspot has moved to the center of the screen! If that's the case, I can get some good hotspot screenshots this Thursday- with a 3.2 MP camera . Thanks, friend!)

-bob

Yep they definitely move with regards to the viewers position. As to the screenshots, I'll do some research with what I've got and get back to you. It's late and I'm going to bed....

mech
Old 06-28-2007, 11:03 PM

Hi folks-- I finally got some decent comparison shots of the PS90 and both coatings-- taken with a 3.2MP camera, at 2048 x 1536 pixels, auto white balance, and ISO 50. Camera was mounted on a tripod, and I used a time-delay to avoid camera shudder.

I picked a lousy frame ('skrat' was in motion, so he is slightly 'blurred'), but the gain and hotspotting comparisons still apply. First, a shot of the plain uncoated PS90-

Secondly, a shot of a piece of PS90 with a 'fog coat', and 2 finish coats of "Behr Matte Poly" laid over the uncoated PS90-

Thirdly, a shot of a piece of PS90 with a 'fog coat', and 2 finish coats of "UncleScurvy's Mix*" laid over the uncoated PS90-

Fourth, a shot of a the "UncleScurvy's Mix" on top, and "Behr Matte Poly" on the bottom, both laid over the uncoated PS90-

Lastly, a shot of a the "UncleScurvy's Mix" on the left, and "Behr Matte Poly" on the right, both laid over the uncoated PS90-

The long and the short of it (maybe better seen in person than these photos) is that the PS90 hotspots, even with our anemic projector. Both "UncleScurvy's Mix" and the "Behr Matte Poly" kill this hotspotting, and reveal greater detail in white areas of the frame.

One of the attractions of the PS90 was the 'luminous glow, almost like a plasma screen' (yeah, but it hotspots.....) that the material displayed. Both coatings decrease the specular gain of the screen. The plain Behr matte poly seems to reduce the gain more than "UncleScurvy's mix". This is probably a result of the reflective particles in the mixture. As Tiddler's "fusion" experiments demonstrated, the particles in the mix 'glow' when lit from 'behind' by reflected light.

These particles are much tinier than an individual pixel (especially on our 30 year old PJ!), so we see no loss in focus-- in fact the consensus of the guys in the room was that there seemed to be 'more detail' in the UncleScurvy's mix side. (of course, we are NOT the connoisseurs that you guys are-- even after I pointed it out and tried to describe it, many of the guys couldn't 'see' the hotspotting, and liked the untreated screen better.

We plan to spray the whole screen with the Wagner and UncleScurvy's mix next week. Again, thanks to all. I'll be posting more shots as I get them!
-bob (UncleScurvy)

............................................................ ..........................................................
*UncleScurvy's Mix recipe was accidental, as I tried to reproduce one of Tiddler's Mixes. It consists of:

1 quart Behr Matte Poly #780
two 2 oz. bottles of FolkArt Metallic White Pearl
1/2 of a 2 oz bottle of Delta Silver Metallic #02608
3 drops of FolkArt Pure Metallic Gold
Old 06-29-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
it certainly appears from the pics that the behr 780 and the unclescurvy are both removing the hotspot but also softening the pic and yellowing it as well.

the latter is good for better skin tones, yellows, tans, light greens but not so good on white levels and the rest of the color spectrum.

if you are going to use the unclescurvy mix... you might consider doing so without the folk art gold.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 PM

Well, that's the beauty of photographs (and multiple viewers!). I didn't notice the yellowing, but looking at the photos again, I have to agree- there is a definite yellow-shift. THANK YOU!

-bob (UncleScurvy)
Old 06-29-2007, 07:46 PM

Bob,

Did you white balance before shooting or are you on auto? They seem a bit out of focus too. Maybe it's my old eyes though.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:35 PM

Hi mech--

I had AWB on-- the focus does look lousy, but I think its my fault for choosing a frame where the animators wanted to show rapid motion and a fast pan-- I think it was deliberately blurred to look like 'motion blur' from a real camera filming a physical shot. I just paused the film at a point where there was a lot of white-- It didn't occur to me to pick a frame with the characters and background sitting relatively still.

(and as far as 'old eyes' go, I now need to put on my glasses to operate any electronic device-- they're all so damned small these days I can't even see the buttons unaided! I kept turning the damned camera off, instead of hitting the shutter release!)

-bob
Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Well, we've been using the PS90 as a screen, hanging by big spring clamps from the ceiling (you may have noticed in the screenshots).

I went to take it down last night, and like a moron, didn't ask any of the guys for help. It slipped out of my hands, crashed to the floor, and I broke off about a 4" piece from the corner.

I have enough skill and tools to make a patch, but there will be a visible hairline in that corner. If it bothers me enough, I'll spring for another sheet.

Right now, I'm so angry with myself I could spit nails !

-bob
Old 07-07-2007, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now, I'm so angry with myself I could spit nails !

well, I think many of us know that feeling, small consolation, but....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM

Hi guys! Just wanted to give everyone an update- we haven't topcoated the screen yet, but I managed to repair the corner, and we put together the subassemblies for the first time. Details and photos are in the AVS forum at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post11018637

....and thank you MississippiMan, for your tutorial on mitered corners !!

-bob