rear projection AND acoustically transparent? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-26-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm creating a video art project and am in need of several large projection screens. Due to the nature of the project, I need the screens to be rear projection as well as acoustically transparent. After doing some research, I'm not sure it's ever been done, or even doable.

Quality is important to me, but not so important that I'll spend thousands of dollars to get it. I was hoping to spend less than $1000 dollars for the screens. I'm very willing to do any work required to make one, but I want the quality to be good (meaning that ironed wax paper just won't cut it).

I've seen some good reviews on Dazian's CCC material, as well as some bad ones (comparing it to the SMX), so I'm curious as to whether it can be used as a rear projection material. It's been suggested, but I've found no conclusive answers. Can anyone using the Dazian CCC cloth let me know?

What about Dazian's Trapeze material? I've heard it is a porous material - would this let sound through?

Might anyone have any other ideas as to what I can do? The only other solution I've found is actually quite neat, but far too expensive - using the Goo to cover a plexi-glass surface, and then making the surface into a loudspeaker using Induction Dynamics' SolidDrive technology - again, really neat, but far too costly.

I really don't want to use bedsheets. Any help would be appreciated!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Check out RoseBrand's website

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2007, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

I checked out Rose Brand, and their projection material comes 110 inches wide. I need at least 122 inches wide... I called them about the only rear projection material they have that isn't bound by that width, and they said no sound would come through it. Thanks for the help though, wbassett.

Any other suggestions?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-27-2007, 10:15 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn12 View Post

I checked out Rose Brand, and their projection material comes 110 inches wide. I need at least 122 inches wide... I called them about the only rear projection material they have that isn't bound by that width, and they said no sound would come through it. Thanks for the help though, wbassett.

Any other suggestions?

Try Dazian CCC

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

I contacted Dazian and they informed me that the CCC would not let light through, so it would not work as a rear projection material...
post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

I believe that Dazian hasn't seen how MUCH light the CCC lets through. If I get a chance this evening I will try to take a pic of what my back wall currently looks like as well as the image that you can see from the back side of the screen. Right now, my back wall is completely untouched (white walls behind a metal stud false wall). You shouldn't have any issue in using the fabric as a rear-projection screen.

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
My Former Theater...The Escape
My DVD Collection
post #7 of 7 Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72 View Post

I believe that Dazian hasn't seen how MUCH light the CCC lets through. If I get a chance this evening I will try to take a pic of what my back wall currently looks like as well as the image that you can see from the back side of the screen. Right now, my back wall is completely untouched (white walls behind a metal stud false wall). You shouldn't have any issue in using the fabric as a rear-projection screen.
Bringing a old thread back from the grave... Did you get a chance to test it out?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page