Screen blanking at the projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to dabble with making some borders that i can place on the screen to mask out the bars of grey that i get when watching 1:2.35 material..

In trying to explain it to someone they thought i meant putting material at the projector.. it got me to thinking.. has anyone tried to do this? obviously you wouldn't want fabric, perhaps something metal, a kind of filter you'd use on a camera lens would be ideal if they could screw in and then rotate to get the masked bars lined up correctly.

I've never really experimented with how hot it gets at the lens.. i wondered if it was safe to turn the projector on with the lens cap still on, always assumed it wouldn't be, but i'm sure i've left it on for a short while before and it barely got warm. Perhaps a replacement lens cover that had a window cut out of it and was painted black or made of black material.

Sounds fairly crazy but i wonder if anyone has ever tried to do something like this, would save having to mess around on a larger scale at the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post4715777

Picture:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=30078

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
cheers, makes sense.. I'm not going into the projector any time soon.. screen based it is then.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-17-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Jim

Its not a viable way to go for masking because the edge will not be in focus unless you get several feet in front of the lens. (like 4')

It is useful to do just as you suggested if your lens has some ceiling cast light spill. There have been several guys do this on the Sharp XR10X thread that had white ceilings that were low and the projector was mounted high and it works pretty good for that .

Bud

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page