JVC HD-1 D-ILA meets Silver Fire Light Fusion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-20-2007, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Somewhere in the hills of northeastern Kentucky, is a house on a hillside. Many such homes exist, but only ONE of 'em now has a 99" diagonal "Mid Hue" Silver Fire Light Fusion Mirror screen (97" x 49") that is blessed with being "washed over" by JVC's latest and greatest.

Getcherself ready..........;

..............get set.....................;

Squirt!

Lets do it again....just a little slower......

It's really so very easy. Just by keeping a steady speed and distance, the paint just seems to go on correctly, and drys quite fast due to the ratio of water to paint.

The finished screen...............;

The PJ..............;

The PJ in the "Hole'..........;

......and a taste of what's to come.

Stay tuned. The "Bar" has just been raised.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-21-2007, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nothing personal pardner, but this looks pretty ordinary. We gotta getcha thinking 'scoped'. All that awesome 'zoom' on that JVC is being wasted. Gimme a jingle. I'll getcha up to speed.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-21-2007, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Ordinary is incredible to those knowing only the mundane prior to revelation.

You work with what you have. The room is/was really quite small, really almost inappropriate for all the effort expended. But the end results always seem to justify the means when it all comes together.

Two raised seating platforms, and a 99" diagonal screen, all jammed inside a 17' x 12' area. The use of that particular PJ with a screen that can truly compliment it's defining attributes allows for both a closer viewing posistion (immersive video) and some real value for the expenditure (...a DIY mandate if ever there was one....)

Much cannot be discussed here, so WYSIW*HW*

*he wanted

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #4 of 12 Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 AM

but where are the massive B&W 801's that should go w/ that projector? :-)
how do you find the brightness? I'm at 92" w/ a PT-AX100 and can't imagine losing half the brightness for the 1080p projectors that are out now :-P
post #5 of 12 Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyee View Post

but where are the massive B&W 801's that should go w/ that projector? :-)

Don't need 'em. The walls themselves, includng the screen's surface, produce the sound, and are getting 300 wpc x 7 to do so.

But that's a whole 'nother tale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyee View Post

how do you find the brightness? I'm at 92" w/ a PT-AX100 and can't imagine losing half the brightness for the 1080p projectors that are out now :-P

I really love the AX100u as well, but the JVC's 700 lumens are exactly that....700 honest to Gawd lumens, with so much CR that the image appears far brighter than one would think possible.

To witt, it not only provides enough ooomph to produce brilliant whites on a Grayish medium, it also delivers more than adequate ambient light potential on such a surface.

Once the Theater above gets it's Eyeball Can shields in place, the available light level in that room will rise dramatically. As it is, the light above the left corner of the screen directs 50% it's "Flood" downward onto the left corner/side of the screen. Although you can see it's effect, it's not really anywhere as noticible in real life as it is with what the camera can reveal. Even so, that a 700 lumen PJ can wage battle against such opposition is pretty incredible. Chalk it up to both the PJ and the screen. Both make a great combo fer shur!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #6 of 12 Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

"I" know that they are in fact accurately conveyed...at least to a very small percentage of acceptable variance. The JVC's 15,000:1 CR comes to us because of it's Chip design that uses a carbon black boarder around each device, eliminating virtually all light leakage from the Bulb onto the panel. This allows you to use that PJ even at it's brightest setting without noticable decrease in Black Levels.

Combine that PJ with a good Ambient Light solution, and whenever room lighting isn't in issue, you then have a CR boost that can take the Blacks up into CRT range. With Silver Fire, there is no worrying about if whites will suffer from that boost. Colors sure don't.

"PoP"

It's the ability to have excellent ambient light performance as well as even better "Dark Room" performance, with no compromises in between that makes any particular DIY screen application "above and beyond" what can be expected.

With a PJ that can help that equation all the more....it's ALL GOOD!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 12 Old 03-21-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Ordinary is incredible to those knowing only the mundane prior to revelation.

You work with what you have. The room is/was really quite small, really almost inappropriate for all the effort expended. But the end results always seem to justify the means when it all comes together.

Two raised seating platforms, and a 99" diagonal screen, all jammed inside a 17' x 12' area. The use of that particular PJ with a screen that can truly compliment it's defining attributes allows for both a closer viewing posistion (immersive video) and some real value for the expenditure (...a DIY mandate if ever there was one....)

Much cannot be discussed here, so WYSIW*HW*

*he wanted

Please tell me this isn't one of those clients that springs for a $6000 PJ, Custom leather theater seating complete with risers, pearl inlays on his cue sticks, and then goes to CC/BB and buys a $49 DVD player.

BTW, there seems to be close to three feet to left of that screen to work with. Maybe your client just watches sports but he sure picked the wrong PJ for that.
Movies, scoped movies, that's theater! Lemme at him. I'll slap some sense into him.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

I would not judge the brightness of a projector by the specs. Some companies are publishing video optimised lumens and others are publishing the absolute brightest the projector can be setup to.

Does anyone know if the JVC projectors are specified with video optimised lumens or not?

I own the RS1, it's very close to the specs OOTB. It's also calibrated OOTB. The only real problem with this PJ is the colors are oversaturated... other than that it's a nice PJ.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

BTW, there seems to be close to three feet to left of that screen to work with.

i was thinking the same thing...

i think they were trying to center the screen to the room as opposed to the wall the screen is on.

maybe the pj/screen distance didn't allow for it... but i'd have opted for a bigger screen if i could have...
post #10 of 12 Old 03-22-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

i was thinking the same thing...

i think they were trying to center the screen to the room as opposed to the wall the screen is on.

maybe the pj/screen distance didn't allow for it... but i'd have opted for a bigger screen if i could have...

I had a chat with MM. The in-the-wall speakers are installed left of the screen, hence, he couldn't make the screen any wider.
With the door to the right, gotta wonder about the right hand setup, huh?

(maybe it's that NEW in-the-potty design)
post #11 of 12 Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

"Stay tuned. The "Bar" has just been raised."

I'm still waiting for some dazzling screen shots, not 'room' shots.

BTW, my neighbor down the road says he should get his JVC on the 6th. "Stay tuned"
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Might be a tough request to accomodate now. I'm in Memphis and that Screen/PJ combo is up in the hills of Ken-Tuck.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page