1Likes

post #481 of 763 Old 11-28-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 250
OK then!

That "White" looks mighty-brite! If it's featureless and smooth, with no discernible blemishes, it will do nicely. But be advised that after the first 2-3 Coats of S-I-L-V-E-R, any blemishes that were hiding from you will make themselves known at that time.

That is the nature of a "Silver" solution. It makes detail stand out sharply and accentuates contrast as well. But that means if they are still there when you start painting, Bumps on the surface will look like hills at twilight (w/a distinct shadow) and cracks or depressions in the surface will look...well, depressing.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 763 Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am I asking for problems trying to spray an entire wall, top to bottom, with S-I-L-V-E-R? I can overspray on the right side and bottom, but cannot really do it at the top and left side. Well, on the left side I guess I could because there is a door going to the boiler room. I would like to spray the entire wall, and then attach felt wrapped, 2 to 3 inch trim as a frame. The trim would basically be flush to the ceiling and left wall.
post #483 of 763 Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

Am I asking for problems trying to spray an entire wall, top to bottom, with S-I-L-V-E-R? I can overspray on the right side and bottom, but cannot really do it at the top and left side. Well, on the left side I guess I could because there is a door going to the boiler room. I would like to spray the entire wall, and then attach felt wrapped, 2 to 3 inch trim as a frame. The trim would basically be flush to the ceiling and left wall.

If you can at least move to each side to the point where when you drop to the next Row your 2" past the intended Screen area, you'll be fine. But you'll need to be certainly precise in doing so. 3" Trim sounds best.

The real issue would be excessive paint build-up in areas where you must drop "vertically", as well as a "lack" of effective coverage deep into any right angle corner (Ceiling / Wall union.) You could turn the Pattern to the Horizontal to effect "fill" at the Top, but I do not advise such....it's something that takes a trained eye and experience, and even then it's fraught with uncertainty

Spraying that close to the Floor DEMANDS a clean Floor EACH time. So re-apply a fresh Plastic Drop across the floor underneath the Screen, and ALWAYS start at the Bottom under these circumstances. With S-I-L-V-E-R that means 7 sheets. You can get 9' x 12' x .7 Mil Sheeting in a 2-pack at HD for $4.99. Spending for the Plastic beats getting little niftkins being blown up and onto all along the bottom area of the Screen

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #484 of 763 Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the tips...didn't realize the gun would blow things up off the floor.
post #485 of 763 Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM

I've been trying to research the various Wagner guns available and it seems the newer guns require a different thinning of the paint. Can someone please advise on what wagner model they have and what the ratio used was.
Thanks
post #486 of 763 Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I've been trying to research the various Wagner guns available and it seems the newer guns require a different thinning of the paint. Can someone please advise on what wagner model they have and what the ratio used was.
Thanks

If you use the specified S-I-L-V-E-R mix as is with the Double Duty, that will work fine. The older Model requires at least 20% more water.

With all Guns and Paint viscosities, it's how precisely you apply the "Duster Coats" that will make all the difference. S-I-L-V-E-R is a multiple coat build up of very sparse coatings. It takes time and patience, that's all.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #487 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 AM

Thanks
So using the Double Duty with the following forumla and ratios I should be good to go:

1/2 gallon Behr Faux Glaze

4 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic from Michael's Arts & Crafts
(Substituted for the darker Behr Silver Metallic)

20 oz. Filtered Water
post #488 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks
So using the Double Duty with the following forumla and ratios I should be good to go:

1/2 gallon Behr Faux Glaze

4 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic from Michael's Arts & Crafts
(Substituted for the darker Behr Silver Metallic)

20 oz. Filtered Water

You might try a shot with 15 oz first and see if the spray pattern is more "Dusty". The DD can send out larger droplets, and so one absolutely must be careful not to over apply...especially on the initial coats.

It's always easy to add a bit more water....but difficult to take it back out.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #489 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM

Do you recomend another sprayer rather than the Double Duty? The term "large droplets" scare me.
post #490 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes, what about the air powered HVLP gravity feed paint guns at HD? Husky brand, they had a kit with 2 guns complete with filters, paint screens, etc.
post #491 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Yes, what about the air powered HVLP gravity feed paint guns at HD? Husky brand, they had a kit with 2 guns complete with filters, paint screens, etc.

Old School items that require Rust/Water filters, expensive Air Compressors, good quality Rubber Hoses (Vinyl sucks) and basically are far more a PITA to use than the Turbine Sprayers recommended these days.

Personally, I have a $800.00+ HVLP Rig consisting of a 32 Gallon 6HP Compressor w/2 excellent HVLP Guns, great Water/Rust Filtration system, about 200' of Hose, and I have painted a great many excellent Screens with it..............

............up to 2006 when the Wagner Control Spray came around. Since then, I've only used the Compressor for my Air Impact Gun and to pump up the Tires on all my vehicles. And that's all Brother!

(...but iffin' ya all ready have a good Compressor-fed HVLP Rig with all the required gear...of course your all set...)

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #492 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Do you recomend another sprayer rather than the Double Duty? The term "large droplets" scare me.

If you use proper spray technique, it should not be a concern.

But iffin yer worried, and this older version is available, then large droplets will not happen and you can mix the S-I-L-V-E-R exactly as specified.

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Product.../dp/B000DZBP60

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #493 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks MM. Have a good compressor, hose, filter, flex hose w/valve but just a Binks touch up gun (the older siphon cup) that I painted motorcycles with. Probably need a new gun anyway, Where do you get the Gleam no-name gun?
post #494 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks MM. Have a good compressor, hose, filter, flex hose w/valve but just a Binks touch up gun (the older siphon cup) that I painted motorcycles with. Probably need a new gun anyway, Where do you get the Gleam no-name gun?

http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

But consider this one instead as it has a smaller Nozzle size (1.2mm vs 2.0)

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Product.../dp/B000DZBP60

When spraying S-I-L-V-E-R it will give you a little more leeway as far as dispensing paint just a little bit more sparsely. As such it goes a little more slowly.

Using The Wagner DD and No Name, you have to be sure to scoot across the surface at 3' per second and keep at least a 14" diatance to avoid excessive paint deposits that can lead to texture (orange Peel) and even worse, Runs and/or Sagging.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #495 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent, thanks! The Wagner DD CS at HD had a 1.4mm nozzle. Get another noz?
post #496 of 763 Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Excellent, thanks! The Wagner DD CS at HD had a 1.4mm nozzle. Get another noz?

No...............

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #497 of 763 Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know where I got the 1.4mm nozzle thought (previous post) from but when I went back to the HD there was no info...
HD here does not stock the old CS but Lowe's still has them.

I was considering starting another thread dedicated to 3D screens MM as info is kinda scattered. Think I've settled on S-I-L-V-E-R for a 3D screen.
post #498 of 763 Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM

Liked: 11
Whats the formula for silver HG? cant seem to find it explictly posted.
post #499 of 763 Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

Whats the formula for silver HG? cant seem to find it explicitly posted.

Explicit language is not allowed on the Forum! Although some have in the past used "expletives" to described the end results.

S-I-L-V-E-R HG (...ya gotta type it right....) was initially a slight name change from original S-I-L-V-E-R, which used the now discontinued Behr Faux Silver Metallic, to the Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic.

The newer paint allows for a higher concentration of the Silver Metallic to be added because that type SM does not overly darken the mix, nor does it contain a large a mica flake content as the older choice did.

Usually, if someone is going down the S-I-L-V-E-R road, if they post up their specific criteria, they get a specific recommendation as to how much SM to use. But basically speaking, the HG formula can handle up to 2x the original amount for most applications, and I've produced -BIG- Screens using as much as 4x

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #500 of 763 Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Is it necessary to sand the final Kilz coat or just in between....or not at all?
post #501 of 763 Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Is it necessary to sand the final Kilz coat or just in between....or not at all?

Primer naturally has a surface that covers the substrate's unevenness of color, but also preps for paint by creating a even textured "tack."

But we all are spraying, and the Duster coat/s provide the "tack". That so, we want as smooth and texture-less start as possible.

If Kilz is applied by spraying, and is done correctly, only the 1st coat needs a little sanding. The second coat can go on a "bit" heavier, but between the two sprayed coats, there is less than 20% the "Thickness" of a single Rolled Coat.

If Primer is rolled on...absolutely....you sand each coat until slippery smooth, then apply Dusters to create the "tack"

Extremely important to both realize and remember is that S-I-L-V-E-R's ability to render exquisite detail, and enhance contrast and colors, also means it's terribly unforgiving of any Blemish, crack, smudge, or drop of Coffee that is on the Screen. Ridges become prominent lines. Dents become small versions of Moon craters.

Basically, you want as perfect a surface as you can find/get/start out with, or if necessary, make.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #502 of 763 Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

So the S-I-L-V-E-R- HG is the same as the S-I-L-V-E-R XG on page #1 of this thread?
post #503 of 763 Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 PM

When applying the duster coats what setting are we using on the standard Wagner? I've seen some posts that people have it on the absolute minimum.

MM - I remember you posting covering 3 feet of wall per second...is that at the minimum?
post #504 of 763 Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fellow DIYers, my second on some damn good advice:

"............up to 2006 when the Wagner Control Spray came around. Since then, I've only used the Compressor for my Air Impact Gun and to pump up the Tires on all my vehicles. And that's all Brother! "

Wagner has revolutionized screen painting. The dark days of the BIG rig are behind us now.

Yes, it's that good. My 135" screen is proof. In a word, flawless. CMRA
post #505 of 763 Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

You should have seen the paint lady at HD smile when I mentioned the substitute for Behr silver metallic I read about here, ha ha.
Control Spray (non-DD) it is then!
post #506 of 763 Old 01-13-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

When applying the duster coats what setting are we using on the standard Wagner? I've seen some posts that people have it on the absolute minimum.

I always just depress the trigger all the way and use speed & distance as my regulators. I NEVER adjust the Knob on the trigger.

Quote:

MM - I remember you posting covering 3 feet of wall per second...is that at the minimum?

Pretty much, and you don't want to go much faster either or your coatings will be too sparse. Distance is just as important, and together both work to create a even, adequate duster coating that with a 60-70% overlap allows for a gradual build up of paint that fills in a covers the Screen completely with a minimum of actual paint depth.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #507 of 763 Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 AM

I've read prior posts from you explaining to hold the trigger completly and use speed/distance as regulator...however I didn't realize the knob would be dialed all the way in, so that the maximum amount of paint is coming out of the gun. Am i understading you correctly?
post #508 of 763 Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yep. Controlling the amount of paint applied is done via the speed and distance factors.

You surely do not want to ****** the amount of paint coming out.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #509 of 763 Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 AM

So I've finished the Kilz coats, but had a hell of a time not getting orange peel, drips, etc. The area I sprayed was 144" by 82"...pretty much a full basement wall with not much room on top and bottom. I ended up dialing down the Wagner halfway and applying many duster coats...I lost count of how many. My question now is since I have the Wagner dialed down, the 7 to 8 duster coats doesn't apply anymore. I am not confident in in being able to see when enough has been applied. I'd like to know about how much mix I will need to proplery cover the area 144" by 82"...does any have any idea?
post #510 of 763 Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
that would depend on rate of speed...

if you are dialed down half way... but keep the same speed... it's my guess you'll need a couple more coats to complete the job.

but if dialed down and you also slow down your speed... then you might not need any.

post a macro shot of your current screen... and you'll likely get some more solid direction.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page