post #511 of 763 Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

that would depend on rate of speed...

if you are dialed down half way... but keep the same speed... it's my guess you'll need a couple more coats to complete the job.

but if dialed down and you also slow down your speed... then you might not need any.

post a macro shot of your current screen... and you'll likely get some more solid direction.

That's why if I knew the amount of paint required for that area it would take the guess work out of how many coats....as long as each coat was applied uniformly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 763 Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Being that I'm the one who has painted the most and largest S-I-L-V-E-Rs I'll step in here.

When you mix up S-I-L-V-E-R you will have something that is entirely different than Primer on your hands. The paint, one adequately thinned will literally pour out of the Gun....and that is a primary reason why Duster coats are absolutely the only method for application.

Determining how much paint needs to be applied overall starts with getting the paint's flow characteristics down pat at the start. There should be no surging or sputtering, but instead a "feeling" as the paint exists the nozzle of a constant noise and steady vibration.

The mix itself is so translucent, that even with the Silver Metallic in it, you cannot really see how much is laid down during the 1st-2nd coats. That is another reason why getting the speed and distance aspects of the paint's spray application is so important.

With everything being done correctly, once one has applied the 4th coat, and lets it dry, each subsequent coat will show up as a noticeable light sheen when you stand sideways to the Screen and look cross-ways over it. By the 5th-6th coats, the Screen should look to becoming very "silvery-white" in appearance. If it does, by the 7th-8th coat, upon close inspection you should see the entire surface have an even coating with no weak areas or areas where the consistency of the surface is different.

Increasing the number of Dusters is not what you want to do, especially if the Dusters are going up correctly. Nor do you want to rush into the next coat after you get the 4th coat up, because the application of such a fluid-like paint re-introduces a LOT of moisture. If there is much if any moisture still underlying the previous coat, you will create the tendency for a "slide/sag" to occur, or in the least start building up unwanted texture due to moist air in the previous coat getting trapped and trying to force it's way though the next layer, and that will create the little bumps that are in effect "Orange Peel".

All this might seem to make S-I-L-V-E-R seem to be a lot of trouble that is rife with potential failure...but it's not. It's really about the easiest of screens to paint. You just have to do the right thing repeatedly.

So if you have the Heebie Jeebies before you get started actually painting the S-I-L-V-E-R, PM me with a contact number and I'll call you to relate in person all the finer points needed to assure success.

If they are followed that is....

Post Note:
For a Screen your size, you should go through at least 1/2 Gallon.,...but not more if indeed not quite that much.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #513 of 763 Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM

MM...as always thank you...PM on it's way
post #514 of 763 Old 01-22-2011, 08:53 AM

So I mixed 1/2 Gallon with what ended up being probably 28oz of water and 5oz of silver. I've finished maybe 10 coats with the gun fully open...maybe going a little faster than 3 ft./second on application. I still have 3/4 of a half gallon of mix left....guess that equates to about half of what I mixed up....50 oz.
The question is...do you think I am done?
post #515 of 763 Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

So I mixed 1/2 Gallon with what ended up being probably 28oz of water and 5oz of silver. I've finished maybe 10 coats with the gun fully open...maybe going a little faster than 3 ft./second on application. I still have 3/4 of a half gallon of mix left....guess that equates to about half of what I mixed up....50 oz.
The question is...do you think I am done?

How about posting a pix?

"28oz of water and 5oz of silver"?
CMRA
post #516 of 763 Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post

How about posting a pix?

"28oz of water and 5oz of silver"?
CMRA

Don't faint, Mr Camera!

If he had made up a full gallon, he would of used 1/3 that amount (40 oz.) of water, and 8-10 oz of the Delta SM for a S-I-L-V-E-R HG mix, so he's within the limits.

To quote James T. Kirk;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #517 of 763 Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 AM

Maybe not quite 28oz of water...but I wasn't getting a good "feeling" of the material coming out of the gun untill I started adding a bit more water. I added a little more Silver to compensate. In the end I am very happy with the screen. I will take some pictures as soon as I finish the felt wrapped frame.
post #518 of 763 Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycleman View Post
Hi all,

I've been a voyeur on this site for a few weeks now grabbing knowledge that you all so kindly share with the masses. I am totally new to the projector world but when we decided to finish our basement I wanted to get the biggest screen possible at the lowest price like us all on here! Picked the optoma hd65 about a month ago and since then have been struggling with what to do about a screen. Our room by the way will have a couple of scone lights on during viewing and quite possibly a lamp on by the seating area also which will be about 18 feet away from the screen. I am planning on a 133 inch 16:9 screen. I first thought that laminate might be an easy and effective way to go until I read about RS-maxxmudd and was stuck on that until I read about Silver and now I am just a little CONFUSED! I thought I might lean on the good people on here to give me some direction on what may be the best way to go for my application and projector. My best beer drinking buddy is pretty handy with a paint sprayer so I am able to apply the paint that way if needed.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

I have this same projector (optoma HD65) and currently am looking for a screen solution. I have a paint sprayer/air compressor but it is LVLP. Since there is some ambient light in the room I was looking into a silver type screen.
Comments?
post #519 of 763 Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
I have this same projector (optoma HD65) and currently am looking for a screen solution. I have a paint sprayer/air compressor but it is LVLP. Since there is some ambient light in the room I was looking into a silver type screen.
Comments?
You've been reading! That was a almost 2 year old post you quoted!

S-I-L-V-E-R has enough gain and contrast enhancing to perform above average in a room where the light is controlled a directed away from the screen. But if that changes, it's black level performance suffer. It still maintains colors at higher levels than a White Screen surface, but when you get used to deep Black levels, when they go south on Vacation, ya miss 'em badly.

If you must deal with any degree of mid-level ambient light, or worse, intruding Sunlight, Silver Fire v2 -4.0 would be a better choice to consider.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311989

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #520 of 763 Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 PM

I have been looking for a screen for awhile now and I think I finally found it with S-I-L-V-E-R. I have a few questions before I start. I have a 86" screen now but I want a 96". I'm going to be making a 16:9 96" screen on a Thrifty White Hardboard.

Is 1qt of faux glaze enough for my screen?

People have use 2oz,4oz,10oz of silver metallic. How much should I use for my screen?

How many oz of water should I use?

I will be purchasing the wagner cs, it will be my 1st time using a spraying gun. Any videos on how to paint with it?

Thanks to anyone that helps
post #521 of 763 Old 02-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 View Post

I have been looking for a screen for awhile now and I think I finally found it with S-I-L-V-E-R. I have a few questions before I start. I have a 86" screen now but I want a 96". I'm going to be making a 16:9 96" screen on a Thrifty White Hardboard.

Is 1qt of faux glaze enough for my screen?

People have use 2oz,4oz,10oz of silver metallic. How much should I use for my screen?

How many oz of water should I use?

I will be purchasing the wagner cs, it will be my 1st time using a spraying gun. Any videos on how to paint with it?

Thanks to anyone that helps

Here's the link to the post with all the Wagner video's by mississippiman

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=duster+coat

There is one other video though that he did that was using just the S-I-L-V-E-R solution but don't have that post link off hand. Type it in on the Post search spot
post #522 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post

Here's the link to the post with all the Wagner video's by mississippiman

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=duster+coat

There is one other video though that he did that was using just the S-I-L-V-E-R solution but don't have that post link off hand. Type it in on the Post search spot

I think the video your talking about is in the 1st page but when I try to watch it, it says I need a password. Anyone know the password? PM me if it must be a secret.

Also is S-I-L-V-E-R the best paint for me? Will be watching bluray movies and playing ps3 games on a light control room(bat cave if I want it). I have a sharp dt-510 mounted 9' away from the wall.
post #523 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
at 9' the largest screen size you can have with shart dt-510 is 92"... which with a 1.0gain screen is approx 20fL.

that's plenty enough for S-I-L-V-E-R or SF V2 as even a SF V2 5.0 has a gain above 1.1.

the question is..
1) how do you like your black levels.
2) what is your cost for materials. $20 vs $75
3) do you fill like mixing?!

if you want jet or inky blacks... SF V2 is the better choice.
post #524 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Well, I have my pj 9'1" away from my wall and at full zoom and I only get 86". I'm throwing the picture on a white wall with a lot of texture. I'm sure blacks will look better than what they look now. Would like to spend 50-60 for everything(TWB,paint,spray gun). Don't I have to mix anyways with any paints?
post #525 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

then it's S-I-L-V-E-R... or a N8 combination with 8oz of delta pearl metallic.

paint 20, TWH 12, wagner CS spray gun on sale for 50 at menards. - Total $82

or

N8 combo, paint 20, roll...
post #526 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM

I'll go with S-I-L-V-E-R. Can you answer the ?'s I ask above?
post #527 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

the prescribed mix is 5% metallic and 95% glaze...

personally, my preference is...

32 oz glaze
24 oz water
8 oz delta silver.
mix thoroughly. did i say thoroughly?!

7-8 dusters.

yes. better blacks than a white screen.

no i can't give out MM's password. also the wagner vid shows MM doing full coats... not dusters.
post #528 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM

what do you mean full coats instead of dusters? It's going to be my 1st time using a spray gun. How you do dusters?
post #529 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

nope... all dusters.

approx 14-16" distance, approx 8 inch vertical fan, 3.5 ft per sec distance, 60% overlap.
post #530 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

nope... all dusters.

approx 14-16" distance, approx 8 inch vertical fan, 3.5 ft per sec distance, 60% overlap.

understood most of it except 60% overlap. I'm guessing but is that going over the same spot you painted again and stop a little more than halfway? 8 inch vertical fan is an option on the wagner spray gun?
post #531 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 View Post

I think the video your talking about is in the 1st page but when I try to watch it, it says I need a password. Anyone know the password? PM me if it must be a secret.

Also is S-I-L-V-E-R the best paint for me? Will be watching bluray movies and playing ps3 games on a light control room(bat cave if I want it). I have a sharp dt-510 mounted 9' away from the wall.

The reason you need a password is because you need to sign up with this website before you can access certain stuff. Jus click up top were it says register. its free to sign up so don't worry. Once you sign up you can access the videos.
post #532 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 04:26 PM

I sign up and still nothing.
post #533 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

absolutely.
post #534 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 04:45 PM

pb maxx did you mix everything in the bucket of glaze? Could I do that or do I have to get another bucket? Since I'm gonna get the 1qt of glaze and that's 32oz.

Also since I'm gonna paint it on a TWH. I would like to stick it on the white wall. What kind of stuff do I need to do that?

I'm I able to use this spray gun? Is it the plus version?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wagner-HVLP-pain...item3f06fa3d03
post #535 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

alright guys... i'm never gonna get anything else done if you don't do a little bit of research...

mix all the S-I-L-V-E-R components with a squirrel cage mixer in a gallon bucket or container.

as for sticking the TWH on the wall permanently... use (screw) a horizontal wood bar where the base of where the TWH will be. it will temporarily be used to support the TWH. then coat the entire backside with an elastic white lighting adhesive caulk... and adhere the TWH to the wall.

or you can build a frame and adhere it to the frame.

or you can use a french cleat.
post #536 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 PM

what about that spray gun on ebay? Can I use it?

That's all I need to know about the paint. I will be buying all the stuff this weekend.
post #537 of 763 Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

wagner CS
wagner DD
wagner Plus
wagner Max
Graco no-name.

all other sprayers... not recommended.
post #538 of 763 Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Glad to see this thread still going strong. I am, of course, still in love with my S-I-L-V-E-R screen wall. The funny thing is that even after people see the image quality on it, they ask "So, is that just plain drywall?" The increased gain and sharpness are completely lost on the uneducated.

I guess I need to find friends who are a bit more particular about what they're watching

Anyways, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I seriously doubt I'd ever build another theater without using this mixture for my screen wall, unless I absolutely HAD to go AT. It's that good.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #539 of 763 Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Drew,

Timing is everything. Screen-wise, let 'em watch it...examine it...even touch it. Let their praises flow....first. Then lower the Boom and tell them it's DIY. YOUR special DIY that performs better than Screens costing $1000s.

Then, when they ask, "But it's just plain Drywall?" you can say..."No. It's S-I-L-V-ER !

...though I'm at a loss to tell you how to speak in Hyphens (-) ;D

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #540 of 763 Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post
Glad to see this thread still going strong. I am, of course, still in love with my S-I-L-V-E-R screen wall. The funny thing is that even after people see the image quality on it, they ask "So, is that just plain drywall?" The increased gain and sharpness are completely lost on the uneducated.

I guess I need to find friends who are a bit more particular about what they're watching

Anyways, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I seriously doubt I'd ever build another theater without using this mixture for my screen wall, unless I absolutely HAD to go AT. It's that good.
Just saw your amazing theater. Awesome. Great work.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page