Wrapping Black Velvet on Trim...... with Mitered or Butt joined ends. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 136 Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did this almost 4 years ago and my screen still looks like a million bucks today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 136 Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Did this 2 weeks ago and it's great! Didn't quite follow the wrapping instructions exactly, but turned out great anyway.
post #93 of 136 Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM

BUMP because I bought the most expensive fabric today that any man should ever buy. Screen is 130" wide, so ... 4 yards of velvet at $27 / yard. However, there is a coupon online for JoAnn fabrics for 50% off anything in store. Also can be used at Hancock Fabrics or Hobby Lobby.

If you really love your country, you're gonna have to love moonshine
post #94 of 136 Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Oh Ow.........

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/Plush-Triple-Velvet/Black-Plush-Triple-Velvet/681/264

$7.75 yd

You'd need a 75% Off Coupon to beat that price.

Myself...I'd take it back and see if they'd accept a return. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #95 of 136 Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks MM. It's 25 bucks plus the shipping/time factor. I am going to see if I can't get some work done this weekend. I have taken "before" shots and will take "after" and during. Then I am planning to post all together what I have done on a "craigslist budget." You will be pissed at my screen...white paint and rolling.

But damn its fun smile.gif I watched a late night movie during some insomnia last night, Hunger Games on BD. Very fun and shot on off-white wall.

post #96 of 136 Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I won't complain if you don't have any complaints. biggrin.gif But if you ever find your performance lacking, then you will have alternatives at hand to choose from, and a nice white base to paint over. wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #97 of 136 Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM

I tried starting a build thread last night using my iPad. I could not figure out how to attach photos. I followed the instructions, but it asked me for a URL and no "browse" button was available. Anyhoo...

Moved all the crap away from the screen wall and ready to sand this beast. Then I will be painting with UPW 1850 and roller. Plan is to paint, use my new garage sale "kegerator" with Spotted Cow installed smile.gif, then sand lightly and add second coat, back to kegerator, start the velvet trimming. Should be done before weekend is over.smile.gif

My lighting is either on, or off, with an egress window on the right wall. Room is pitch dark when lights are down, i.e. movie is on. I get pretty bad spillage of light onto the white drop ceiling so something will be done about that in the future. Pictures to follow when i get that ironed out.

EDIT: I think i figured out the picture thing. iPad is the culprit.

post #98 of 136 Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUrator View Post

I tried starting a build thread last night using my iPad. I could not figure out how to attach photos. I followed the instructions, but it asked me for a URL and no "browse" button was available. Anyhoo...
EDIT: I think i figured out the picture thing. iPad is the culprit.

They always are. I wanna convert....but I find too much incompatibility with Apple and everything else I already have & do.

That's heresy to some...I know, but usually they are not so completely "PC" based.

Use 1850 "Flat"

Good Luck with the Rollin' Work a wet edge, but don't Roll / back Roll any more than absolutely necessary. Use Light, even pressure.
( Lordy how I came to hate coachin' people who had to Roll. tongue.gif )

No expression of "Good Luck" needed with the Spotted Cow, I'm sure. I'm certain your adept in that department. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #99 of 136 Old 09-14-2012, 11:54 AM

I got the "matte" finish for the 1850. I believe it to be the same. Here is what I am working with. Sorry for the wicked bad pics...iPad 2. I will get some good ones with my Nikon later.

This is, of course, the obligatory screen with painting tape. 130inch wide 2.38 aspect ratio. Plan is to mask sides to get 16:9 a 54.5inch CIH out of it. The screen will move down another 2-3 inches from the ceiling...and yes I know its close:) bigger is better, right? Most of the use of my area will be BD playback. With some gaming thrown in for fun on XBox360. So, 1112inch diag was good for 16:9.

Here is rear of theater area to a room with gym and darts and fridge, oh my!!! Oh and Kegerator is on other side of fridge.

Here is rest of room with pool table and stairway. Plan is to eventually do some electircal work separating lighting and such. the doorway leads to unfinished area/dog room. There is also a 14x14 finished "craft room" with custom cabinetry and other useless crap the former owner did. Better half thinks its great!

Here is rack position all wires run into the false wall on far side of aV cabinet. No need for graffic eye or repeater. remotes work at seating position by pointing up to ceiling:)

Awwww...my fist pics uploaded. Hope it works.

post #100 of 136 Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 PM

I suppose that was a little off topic, but next will be screen framing and velvet. Build thread posted soon.

post #101 of 136 Old 09-14-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I suppose that was a little off topic, but next will be screen framing and velvet. Build thread posted soon.

Nawwww......always good to ladle on some gravy over the meat & potatoes. Ideas often come from seeing things you haven't before.

As long as there is a screen in there somewhere....your gud. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #102 of 136 Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 AM

I managed to sneak into the basement for a few minutes this weekend. I got two coats of UPW onto the wall. I am lucky to be working with a relatively smooth paint finish. I did a good thorough sanding to start and rolled on the UPW with a 1/4 nap roller. I used a headlamp to highlight the surface so I could catch any globs of crap on the wall. I would say that it went pretty painlessly. Light sanding between coats and VOILA!!! I fired up the PJ late last night at about 13 hours dry time. Very nice indeed. MM, you are right, I am impressed. I will give it 6 months until I am mixing up a batch of maxx mudd and practicing with a sprayer smile.gif I used the image shift to illustrate the difference on the bare wall. What I thought was really good, was just not even close. You could tell especially in the flesh tones.

I will post some pics tonight and begin the velvet wrapping. Here is a question...when you lay out the velvet, does it get crazy dirty with stuff picked up from the floor. We have cat and dogs and I don't want to spend an hour getting hair out of this stuff. Even with no pets, where do you lay it out to work?

post #103 of 136 Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Here is a question...when you lay out the velvet, does it get crazy dirty with stuff picked up from the floor. We have cat and dogs and I don't want to spend an hour getting hair out of this stuff. Even with no pets, where do you lay it out to work?

I use everything from a long table top (stout) to a Tile Floor...to directly onto the carpet. Of course...you sweep throughly first with either of the "Floor-based" options. Even if you get lint and hair on the Velvet, it pretty much rolls off with a light rubbing of the palm of a clean hand.
( ...often the 1/4" staples must be gently tapped in flush, depending upon the proficiency of the Staple Gun used and how Flat / hard you press down. So a hard or supported underlying surface is a good idea, especially when tap-tap-tapping with a hammer...)

One thing to be careful of is getting anything sticky on the BV. The fine Nap seems to absorb and flatten out when that sort of thing occurs, and it usually will not wash out / wipe off without leaving noticeable flat spots.

Also, you realize that you will have to affix the BV Trim rather sparsely, since it has to be removed later when you finally decide to paint on the RS-MM .

Yep...proper wall prep is essential to get the best image. The Screen Mfgs have FINALLY embraced the need to have ultra smooth surfaces with today's High Res PJs, and the upcoming 4K versions will absolutely demand such lest bumps and blemishes jump out and smack people in the Face.

We DIY'ers have been advocating such for about 11 years on now.rolleyes.giftongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif:cool:

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #104 of 136 Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 PM

I have seen the light...or, in this case, not seen any light!!!! Wrapped my MDF frame last night. MM thanks for the tips. Laid it out on the tile floor after a good sweeping. The BV rips, just like all here have told me, as easily as advertised...who'da'thunk it? I could not attach it to the wall though. Sleeping kids + finishing nails = sleepy daddy in the morning. Will put them up tonight smile.gif

But as we have all done, I held up the newly wrapped, 130" wide bottom side to see what the deal is with light spillage. WOW...completely gone. Can't wait to see it tonight for the game. GO PACK GO!!!!

It took me about 3 corners before I was proficient at the wrapping. MM - good call on tapping down the staples, I felt like I had done it already before by the time I actually started. I will upload pics of the finish later.

Tonight is programming the Harmony.

post #105 of 136 Old 09-24-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Seems you got everything all "wrapped up". Such effective Trim certainly shouold always be a "staple" of any DIY Screen.

Now all that's left is for you to "nail" it down....literally. Use a Finish Nail sized Nail Set (...very small head...) to set the heads of the 1.5" bright Finish nails just into/below the Trim's "MDF" surface...which is of course below the Velvet Layer. This will effectively make the Finish Nails invisible.

Myself, often I will set / drive the nails in at a slight angle, which in turn minimizes the "view-ability of the nail heads from a front viewed perspective. This technique is a little trickier, and replicates the end results I get if I use a Finish Nailer and also hshoot nails in at angles. (I always go back and "set" then with a Nail Set no matter what...if I can in any way, from any angle see a vestige of Nail head showing.

Much ado over nothing? No Sir!

With Black Velvet being so....Black, any brighter spot on the surface of BV will stand out. Even "mushed down Velvet nap" will show up as a brighter area.
BTW...when Tapping in Nails, use a Hammer that has s "CLEAN & SMOOTH" Striking Head, and try to time your strikes so the last one made without contacting the Velvet full force set's the Nail at least Flush with the Velvet. Then let the Nail Set do the rest. Sometimes, a "too hard" strike can permanently Flatten the Velvet's Nap...causing a sheen spot.

Now during a showing in a completely darkened environment, BV Trim contributes nothing but effective edge masking. It is when one can watch "The Big Picture" with varying degrees of Ambient light and the BV's "Reference Black" helps "Fool the Eye" into seeing darker blacks on Screen that it's worthiness is accentuated. Obviously...with my own propensity toward DIY Screens that perform well in Ambient light, I want the BV's performance and cosmetic appeal as pristine and perfect as it possibly can be.

But frurgudness sake! Ya can't have the Heads of Finish Nails spottin' up the expanses of Blacker-than-Black Trim, or have obvious shiny flattened areas jumping out at your guests, ruining the "Oooohhhh...Ahhhhhh" appeal of the Black Velvet. mad.gif

That would be bad.

It is by anyone's reasoning, a case of getting the maximum benefit of using Black Velvet...both performance & cosmetic-wise. And like all aspects of DIY Screen building itself, you'll almost always get at minimum the end results being directly proportionate to the care and effort out-layed.

Better still... often when the total sum of several layers of thought - care - effort comes together it can produce results that are wholly unexpected and far better than expectations.....and that is for many the really most welcome & exciting time of all.

I've seen it happen many time over.

.......and it's always been just as exciting for me to watch it happen. smile.gifcool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #106 of 136 Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 AM

Got the trim on the wall; however, the top one is weird looking. I started with the bottom piece. Set it on top of the outlet cover, my bottom line, and stuck the level on top. Centered the bubble and affixed with finishing nails. Rechecked the bubble to my satisfaction and moved on to the right and left pieces. The top one was a bit long, so I used the correct tool for most jobs...FORCE!!! Unfortunately, in my haste to get the damn thing on the wall so I could watch the effing Packer game, my mistake is eating at me every minute. I am going to have to pull off the sides and re-level. I think the right trim piece is just a hair left of center so that outta fix the top length. GRRRrrrrrrr. 'Tis OK though because looks like painting is on the horizon....see below.

Sure does add a WOW factor with the trim though. Looks really nice and professional-like. I am a proud papa. Next is to build lightweight frames and stretch the left over velvet for side masking when I watch TV or XBox.

Thanks MM. I CAN see the nail heads and a quick go-round with a nail set is a no-brainer. I have recently sweet talked the wife into letting me paint the basement area. I am trying to figure out a good color for the screen wall. Perhaps a dark shade of red to compliment the "wine" colored Simonis cloth on my Olhausen pool table? The color borders the red/purple hue. Since it is screen related, any thoughts?

I totally agree with your "reference black" statement. My screen wall is by no standard, perfect. But damn it is so much fun to watch, and even more fun to watch others watch it. I am planning to let my 13 year old have some friends over for movie night soon. I am sure it will turn into popcorn, Xbox, more snacks, "another movie please"!!!! Just got The Matrix and Mission Impossible bluray box sets for cheap at yard sales:)

I have learned more by lurking on this Site in the past 9 months than a lifetime's worth of trial and error. Never ceases to amaze me when I read new build threads from people with greater skill than myself. I would welcome a visit from anyone here for a cold pint (or 6) once I get her running:) Thank you to you all:)

post #107 of 136 Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Is there a reason everyone seems to use the 3-1/4" trim? I'd like mine to be about half that.
post #108 of 136 Old 09-29-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimus View Post

Is there a reason everyone seems to use the 3-1/4" trim? I'd like mine to be about half that.

a. Most screens are pretty large.
b. A prominent "Blacker than Black" frame serves as a Contrast reference...and a wider boarder does that job better than a smaller one.

But both Home Depot and Lowes also sell 2-1/4" Base.

But under 1- 3/4". Doubtful, That sounds more like "Shoe Molding" or "Door Stop"...and those don't comes easily found in sticks over 8' long.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #109 of 136 Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Hi All - Got some work done this weekend. took off the trim boards so I could paint...and because of my mistake in not LOOKING at them while attaching to wall biggrin.gif Got some crazy dark colored redish purple paint on the around the screen. I bought paint during a late-night run with no kids. Wal-mart is not a good place for paint. I know it was red and all but damn!!! It looked terrible after the first coat. It was Glidden paint+primer tinted red garnet. Went to the Depot and got Behr, with same tint color. It looks awesome now!!!! The paint is a great match for the pool table felt and the wall is dark as expected. I had no idea the magnitude of the effect it would produce when the PJ was turned on. I now have POP!!! I am re-installing the trim and moving speakers and such back to their respective places tonight. I will get some pics posted of wall.

post #110 of 136 Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 AM

Finally made some time for this. Eyes are red from staying up too late. apologies for the grainy pics...but as my 5 year old daughter wisely says "you get what you get, and you don't throw a fit!"

Here is the painted and re-assembled screen wall. Yes...I know the center channel speaker wire is in view....thanks for pointing that out. I could not fish it down behind; I think there is a horizontal piece in the framing. The red/purple color is a perfect match on to the Wine colored Simonis pool table cloth. It is much darker in person. My top frame piece is still a slight bit off-kilter. I made sure everything was dead nuts level...but the top corner of the right piece must have been the first one I felted. The felt attaching work is not as good there and it is too thick to make a perfect angle with the top piece. After putting up the second time and hitting two studs with the finish nails in the top...I put up the white flag and decided it was good enough for government work. Oh and my wife shaking her head at me "that noone will see that."

Here is my obligatory "corner shot" This is before the nail set was utilized. MM is right you can totally see them if not set. I used the nail set and a black sharpie to make them invisible. Works like a charm.

post #111 of 136 Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 AM

Looks nice! One thing I've wondered about is the nails in the trim. One poster said that burying the nail further in helps to hide it, but I say why not make a millimeter or two cut in the velvet so it goes fully in. Wouldn't that hide it more?

Oh, and this is the first pic I've seen of a DIY anamorphic screen. Very cool.
post #112 of 136 Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

No...slicing the Velvet is exactly what you do not want to do. For the Black Velvet to look smooth it must be pulled taunt over the Trim. If dliced...even a little, it will separate...and eventualy fray.

Setting the nail heads just below the surface of the MDF trim....which means they are set well below the surface of the Velvet, is the tried amd true.... and proven method to use. The Velvet almost always closes up over the top of the set nail head. And if mot...a daub with a Fine tip Black Marker will finish the job. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #113 of 136 Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

No...slicing the Velvet is exactly what you do not want to do. For the Black Velvet to look smooth itust be pulled taunt over the Trim. If dliced...even a little, it will separate...and eventualy fray.

Setting the nail heads just below the surface of the MDF trim....which means they are set well below the surface of the Velvet, is the tried amd true.... and proven method to use. The Velvet almost always closes up over the top of the set nail head. And if mot...a daub with a Fine tip Black Marker will finish the job. cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #114 of 136 Old 10-18-2012, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
burning question: WHEN will MMan stop spelling the word BORDER as BOARDER?
WHEN?
Does he have a dictionary? Maybe we should take up a collection and buy him one. :-)
post #115 of 136 Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Probably never....since the majority of time I post late night and sleepily. Such mundane trivialities do not weigh heavily on my conscious mind when it is on the verge a comatose state.

I will however accept any donations sent my way via PayPal. Drinking good beer always improves my disposition .....and grammar. biggrin.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #116 of 136 Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 AM

Pessimus - Thank you. I guess I never really thought of it as being anamorphic. Probably due to my ignorance on the subject smile.gif I simply wanted the absolute largest image I could muster while watching movies. This size is almost at the end of my manual zoom in BD mode. When we watch in 16:9 we are closer to the optimum mid-zoom. Keep in mind, I do not have a lens or prism to make an actual anamorphic image. I am just manually manipulating my PJ zoom to fill the screen or converge to the 16:9 format. Sure is fun as hell though biggrin.gif

MM - as far as I am concerned, you can spell anything you want...incorrectly:) Just don't stop reading and posting and offering advice. I know Hank was just "joshin" with ya, but your help is invaluable. Thanks.

post #117 of 136 Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 AM

I had movie and popcorn night with my 5 year old and her friends this past saturday. the screen performed exceptionally well. the colors and contrast were crisp and clean. the black velvet is an outstanding addition after viewing with no trim for so long. one of the parents commented on the screen and asked me where I bought it. and how I got it down the stairs smile.gif So I brought him in for a closer look and Voila smile.gif It all is worth it now!!! world series video from the DISH HD is superb and I would recommend to anyone. Now it is time to start saving for larger LCRs...and maybe the 3D epson 6010. Hahahahahah does it never end?

post #118 of 136 Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I went to the local fabric store today and they had several types of black velvet. What am I looking for? They had a "yoga wear" velour that was almost half the price of the expensive velvet, but I don't know if it would do the same job.
post #119 of 136 Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You want the one that eats as much light as possible. Not shiny, no reflections. I don't know whether "yoga wear" satisfies this.

Btw, 9 months later... I couldn't be happier with my MaxxMud screen and these borders.
post #120 of 136 Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
So light absorption would be flat black rather than glossy, correct?

Maybe I'll just go with the stuff that MM linked to in post #94. Probably cheaper than what I'd get locally and I can be sure that it's the right stuff.

One more question - in the original post, MM says that he ripped the 3.25" moulding down to 2.5. Is there a particular reason for that? I'm going to build a 120" screen and am thinking of leaving the border at 3.25". My 60" plasma has a 2" border so I don't think 3.25" would be disproportionate for a 120" screen. Is it just personal preference or is the another factor to consider?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page