Old 10-06-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

It has come to my attention that there seems to have been a lot of offline discussion regarding the fact that the EasyFlex ...

What is news to me is that there were those who felt strongly enough that they did not think I should be suggesting either the EF tints or the pearl clear coats as interim or beginner solutions...

I just want to know if anyone has actually had any problems with these solutions. If so I beg you to report it directly to me so that I can revise or retract these solutions before anyone else is inconvenienced.

I realize that your work is not the answer to every question and that there still needs to be a knowlegeable effort on each owner's part to get the best results from their environment.

I also realize that if I dropped $500 or $5,000 on a commercial screen solution, I would still need to calibrate my projector and I may have even bought the wrong solution for my particular setup.

Thank you for reassuring the viewers that they need to be aware of the decisions they make and that your solutions should not be considered perfect. That you are willing to receive and evaluate criticism, questions, input, and users findings with variations to help make sure your solutions are a simple way to get a better result.

I know my experience has benefited from participating in this forum. I have better color and better depth in my screen without sacrificing perceived brightness or contrast. I see it for myself and I have received UNSOLICITED comments from my friends that this is true.

All screen solutions require calibration. All screen solutions require a proper evaluation of the environment it will be put in and the expected results. Finally, all screen solutions, DIY or purchased, require the owner to accept personal responsibility for the decisions they make and to discuss any problems with their decision with the DIY solution inventor/caretaker or the commercial company manufacturer/vendor.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 02:27 PM

Liked: 10
^ wow.... I think you've being a little hard on yourself...

I am still amazed by how in depth you go to help out the comunity with thier own screens !

I'm suped pysched that I actualy put together my OWN DIY screen basicly without a hitch....the FIRST try.

I do realize that this is my first screen, and that I probably chose the wrong cloth material as a background (too many fibers)...

tonight I will iether spray or roll on my 4th coat of paint, as the texture is STILL too rough.

I will be sure to take some pics of the screen now (3 coats) and after its done...prolly 2 more.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:03 AM

I found that spraying on the later coats is MUCH easier... Has anyone tried this ?

I wonder how it would turn out with that clear....

as it is, I'm glad I chose the 4850 ....self priming....pretty simple
Old 10-07-2007, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I think anyone considering the application of a pearl clear coat should look at this post by Cynical2. It appears the pearl clear coats may not be as easy to apply as I thought they were.

To be clear, I don't think the non-uniformity of my screen means anything more than I may be a lousy painter. To blame it on the formula would be convenient for me to do, but I think a bit of a stretch.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

If spraying this type of topcoat, you will lose alot of gain. This is based on my own testing or rolling and spraying. For instance, my own CGIII mix could not be rolled because it would hotspot and sparkle way too much from the gloss/metallics. However, once sprayed, viola, a very nice fairly matte finish. I noticed the same effect with a variety of mixes. So, if spraying, you may even want to try a satin poly/matte poly blend with the pearl. Just to prop up the gain to where it used to be from rolling.

Meow.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benven View Post

If spraying this type of topcoat, you will lose alot of gain. This is based on my own testing or rolling and spraying. For instance, my own CGIII mix could not be rolled because it would hotspot and sparkle way too much from the gloss/metallics. However, once sprayed, viola, a very nice fairly matte finish. I noticed the same effect with a variety of mixes. So, if spraying, you may even want to try a satin poly/matte poly blend with the pearl. Just to prop up the gain to where it used to be from rolling.

Hey Ben, you once pointed out that the mediums often have a fair bit of gloss on their own. If you think spraying will reduce gain due to gloss then maybe the simple answer would be to add two bottles of the Folkart Pearlizing Medium to a quart of Behr Matte Polyurethane. What do you think?

By the way, could you check your local Michaels and Wal-mart next time you are there and see if you can find the Folkart Pearlizing Medium? Our friends south of the border seem to be having trouble finding it.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm all for full disclosure but Tiddler man you must be a lawyer in your spare time. I hope everyone appreciates the time and effort you put into these. My Fn-Easy 03 works great (w/ my Epson 400). My screen board and frame aren't the best, but that was my mistake and next house I'll make a new one. Hopefully this thread is still around so I can refresh my memory. I'm not as picky as some of the "enthusiasts" around the boards but this solution has been great and I really can't see spending 400+ on a screen. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I'll enjoy it anyway. Thanks for all you do Tiddler.

Later,

Square
Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Square] View Post

I'm all for full disclosure but Tiddler man you must be a lawyer in your spare time. I hope everyone appreciates the time and effort you put into these. My Fn-Easy 03 works great (w/ my Epson 400). My screen board and frame aren't the best, but that was my mistake and next house I'll make a new one. Hopefully this thread is still around so I can refresh my memory. I'm not as picky as some of the "enthusiasts" around the boards but this solution has been great and I really can't see spending 400+ on a screen. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I'll enjoy it anyway. Thanks for all you do Tiddler.

Later,

Square

LoL If only you knew what goes on behind the scenes!

Thanks for the positive feedback.

The problem is I am in the middle. I agree we should strive for the most accurate but I also believe we should use what we know now. I'm in favor of a scientific approach and I understand the ability of the artist's eye. The problem is these days you are not allowed to be neither friend nor foe. Since I am not 100% in agreement with anyone I am therefore marked as foe by many. It kinda takes the fun out of all this, Eh!

The truly ironic part is I am not even in a position to make my own fixed screen.

When I needed a retractable screen, with a remote control, and the Da-Lite HCMW material, it was going to cost me $1500 by the time it was shipped and the taxes paid. I found East Porters only sold white motorized retractable screens for about $160 for a 120". I actually ended up buying two in the end and tried painting them. The second worked out better than the first but with rolling my only option at the time the paint is too thick.

These screens don't have the usual V waves common in retractable screens but they have developed some horizontal ridges. The surface is also not as flat as it was originally. I'm quite sure it is due to the thickness of the paint film.

I think if you were to spray paint a retractable using thinned Behr #4850 and only two coats, it would work and produce a good matte white (untinted) or gray screen surface. That is assuming you are a good spray painter.

On a flat rigid surface the EasyFlex paint would be great and the Pearlizing Clear Coat looks really nice. Deep blacks and brilliant whites. I may get a chance to demonstrate that on my neighbor's screen. He has my sample panels and will decide pretty soon.

As far as my own screen goes I just order an EluneVision High Definition Cinema Grey motorized retractable. It is a knock off of the Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White. If they had been available two years ago I would not even know about this forum. Once I install it and assuming it looks good I will officially no longer be a DIYer anymore.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:39 PM

Anyone know a good online vendor to find the pearlizing medium? The places i've checked charge 8-10 bucks for shipping, which is just plain ridiculous.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 AM

I have, i've called a bunch of places listed and went to a few. One of which I called and got an answer of "That store went out of business 6 years ago".
Old 10-11-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percept View Post

I have, i've called a bunch of places listed and went to a few. One of which I called and got an answer of "That store went out of business 6 years ago".

I no longer recommend using pearl clear coats.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:02 PM

i'm worried about the amount white it will add to my screen. I think the easyflex shade i used is pretty much the lightest i'm willing to go. I'm afraid of what the white in the metallic white pearl will do to my black levels.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percept View Post

i'm worried about the amount white it will add to my screen. I think the easyflex shade i used is pretty much the lightest i'm willing to go. I'm afraid of what the white in the metallic white pearl will do to my black levels.

I no longer recommend using pearl clear coats.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 AM

Todd,

Can you do me a favor and list all the EasyFlex formulas? Where do the samples that I have lie?

I know you changed it after I bought my three quarts and painted up the sample panels. Can I buy a gallon of something (EF12 or whatever) and mix it with UPW to create the different tints? Let me know...

Thanks!

mech
Old 10-12-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post

Todd,

Can you do me a favor and list all the EasyFlex formulas? Where do the samples that I have lie?

I know you changed it after I bought my three quarts and painted up the sample panels. Can I buy a gallon of something (EF12 or whatever) and mix it with UPW to create the different tints? Let me know...

Thanks!

mech

These tints no longer exist.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Do you already have some un-tinted UPW?

I have a gallon of it. It's starting to look like a paint store in the garage!

mech
Old 10-12-2007, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

mech

Mech has subsequently proven all the EasyFlex Tints and all the clear coats to be bad screen solutions.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

mech

tell me about it and i'm not even in the ballpark of being in as deep as you currently are

WAAAaaayyyyy off topic for a second - what ever came of the lighter shades of gray laminate that you all had found?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

tiddler - the elunevision you got, is that the 1.1 gain or the 1.8 gain?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrnole View Post

tiddler - the elunevision you got, is that the 1.1 gain or the 1.8 gain?

It is the 1.1 gain gray base with reflective coating. That is the basic description of the Da-Lite HCMW so we will see.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:

tell me about it and i'm not even in the ballpark of being in as deep as you currently are

WAAAaaayyyyy off topic for a second - what ever came of the lighter shades of gray laminate that you all had found?

Bill's still plugging away at the HTS PFG at the moment. We had that slight setback earlier this week that we've just bypassed. That seems to be taking a lot of his time lately. Well that and our real jobs!

I think he was talking about giving them away when he was done with them too!

mech
Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I know what you mean! I have cans stacked all over my basement. It looks like a store room for a paint store.

If you get some EF12 then you can mix it down to any of the EF tints I posted. It is just simple fractions. So to get EF09 mix 3 parts EF12 with 1 part UPW. For EF03 mix 1 part EF12 with 3 parts UPW.

EF12 Tints:

Quart Custom Tint
0 12 0 Lamp Black
0 04 0 Yellow Oxide

Gallon Custom Tint
1 00 0 Lamp Black
0 16 0 Yellow Oxide

Remember (ounces 48th-ounce 96th-ounce) Therefore 0 48 0 is the same as 1 0 0 right!

Are there any plans to try the Xrite N7 tint for UPW?

That's what I was looking for!

mech
Old 10-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is the 1.1 gain gray base with reflective coating. That is the basic description of the Da-Lite HCMW so we will see.

i'm really interested to see how well it works out for you considering the massive DIY reference you will have had to compare it to.

i noticed in the main screens thread how many people had elected to buy the 1.8 gain screen and use it with a ceiling mount PJ - i guess some people just don't want to read?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i'm really interested to see how well it works out for you considering the massive DIY reference you will have had to compare it to.

i noticed in the main screens thread how many people had elected to buy the 1.8 gain screen and use it with a ceiling mount PJ - i guess some people just don't want to read?

Well I have a massive reference to my own DIY stuff and it is NOT neutral so I am not sure how valid my impressions will be.

It is not so significant that the projector is ceiling mounted with a retro-reflective screen. The viewing cone on the 1.8 gain gray screen is still 100 degrees ( 50 + 50 ). As long as the angles are right it could work quite well.

I considered trying it but the fear of glass bead sparkles stopped me.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:

Are there any plans to try the Xrite N7 tint for UPW?

Sorry! I missed this! I'm sure we will sooner or later. Things are gonna pick up real fast, real soon!

mech
Old 10-12-2007, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry! I missed this! I'm sure we will sooner or later. Things are gonna pick up real fast, real soon!

mech

So for those willing to wait for truly neutral gray tints, how long do you think it will be before they have been determined for the Behr and Glidden (CIL) paints available at Home Depot?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:

So for those willing to wait for truly neutral gray tints, how long do you think it will be before they have been determined for the Behr and Glidden (CIL) paints available at Home Depot?

As soon as someone gets the fan deck and has them color matched... I don't know if anyone is actually working on this yet or not. Bill has talked of it, but I'm not certain if he's ordered it yet or not. Plus with what's been found out with Lowes color matching system I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary. There are a lot of neutrals identified already. Gbr found a few at Lowes thru their color matching computer. I haven't paid close enough attention to list them all but you know where to find them!

I believe HD has Sherwin Williams in their computer so all anyone has to do is have them mix up a match for SW Gray Screen or Soothing White and they'd have it. I may get to it eventually but I'm a bit busy the next couple weeks with the shootout at HTS and hunting.

mech
Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

lowes will quite happily make identified neutral paint colors from true value, dunn edwards, colortrend, and sherwin williams plus the two neutrals they have in the laura ashley palette.

lowes will mix those colors from the various bases they have and use a different pigment mix for each base so you really do get as close a match as you can short of going to the actual paint manufacturer.

i'd like to get some data on the olympic colors at lowes too and home depot has some interesting possibilities in the ralph lauren paint.

for reference:

colortrend ambiance white lilac 228 228 228 (as close to munsell n9 as it gets)

true value winter mist 220 220 220

dunn edwards perfect palette porpoise 211 211 211 (my current color)

true value winter mountain 200 201 201

those are the paints that i know lowes can do in nice even steps between munsell N9 and munsell N8 with colortrend being the lightest color. i personally have the paints mixed in a quart of valspar signature matte when possible to eliminate the need for poly (plenty of gain in the matte and it's very scrubbable for cleaning)
Old 10-13-2007, 10:45 AM

I have a question. I believe my screens surface is too "rough" , as it has lots of fibers...
The image does not looks as bright as I thought it might...
This is my first PJ and first DIY screen, so I have nothing to compare it to... But I believe I could get a "brighter" image, with more "wow" factor than is presently there...

How is the texture of your DIY screens? verry smooth to the touch? no fibers sticking out ?

I definatly think I should have used the Artists canvas instead of the regular canvas I used
Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

i'm painted right on drywall - you could try painting on sintra or one of the thin boards from home depot if screen size permits?