DIY universal mount - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 51
This maybe off topic, but I just thought I would share my projector mounting solution. I used a spare satellite dish mount that I had lying around, a piece of c-channel scrap donated from work, a plastic cutting board and a little enginuity.

It has worked out pretty great for me, when I purchased my new projector all I had to do was cut up a new cutting board while the wife was asleep

The mount allows for pretty much any type of adjustment, although maybe not as easy to get perfect as a factory mount.

The C-channel is bolted to three beams that allows for a good solid mount, and also repositioning the projector if needed in the future.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-27-2007, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Nice Action Jackson!

Just be careful not to obstruct the vents on the bottom of the projector.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I cut a hole for ventillation aboeve the filter. I still have to take the PJ down to clean the filter though. With my Z2 I was able to clean the filter while it was mounted, it just depend on the placement.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM

Liked: 10
THAT IS FLIPPIN' SWEEEET!!!!

Love the cutting board idea ! And, seeing as I do the majority of the cooking anyways, the mrs. won't need to be asleep ... just distracted. hmmmmm, i may be able to procure a sattelite dish w/ bracket.... if not, would I be able to purchase one separately? I could not see why not. After all, they do break. Thanks for the great idea. It is an evolutionary leap to the pipe one I saw. That one was good, but THIS is a nice modification. Pat yourself on the back for a diy project done well !

Plus, you get exxtra points for the "not chapping off the mrs. too terribly" factor. ANOTHER PLUS !!!!!
post #5 of 9 Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the compliments, motmayhem.

When I moved into this house there was already a dish on it, so when the installer came by with a new dish I asked If I could just go ahead and keep it for a spare and use the one that was already hanging. I just had the 5 lnb dish installed too, and they left the old dish on the house. You can probably find someone has a spare, or look for one at a garage sale or online auction, but I'd try the freeby route first.

You probably don't have to use the C-channel if your ceiling beams run opposite mine. I was going to install a 2x4 between beams in the attic to attach it to, but thought the C-channel would make it easier to move the projector into the best possition. I could have made it 2 ft long and been ok, but didn't know it 'till I got it up there.

You can cut the pole shorter depending on how you need it, I had to get below that ceiling fan.

The wife was a little irritated when she found out I destroyed the cutting board, then I told her it was only $10 to replace compared to $150+ for a mount, and she settled down a bit.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-31-2007, 06:15 AM

yeah, its funny when you put it in that perspective - $10 vs $150. She probably even complimented you on how wonderful it turned out after she realized your thrifty ingenuity. The house I just looked at yesterday has a dish out there. So, that is an option. I really don't want to go the satellite route, but that is the price I pay for going so damn rural - no high speet internet.

The place has a complete unfinished basement - JOY !!!! So, it may be on soon ! Lucky me, unlucky mrs.

But, back on topic. That is a truly pro looking setup with the faceplate and all. nice job! Thanks for the ideas. I will have to redo it a little for my pj, but I believe the only problem I will encounter would be for the lamp replacement. Both the filters are on the back of mine. It has been packed away too long , i cannot remember.

Thanks for the wonderful idea, ... mot
post #7 of 9 Old 08-31-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Glad I could help.
For the outlet I used a double receptacle with light switch faceplate. I just used a dremel to open it up to allow all the cables to run through the light switch hole. I think one of the hardest part was running the cable, it was over 100 outside and it felt cool after I got out of the attic.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks MINT!

I've also got the Epson (810 PRO) and ended up getting a Chief Mount of Fleabay (15.00 NIB)...of course it was for a PJ other than the 810, but it was easy enough to make an adapter plate just as action_jackson did...also made a cutout for the air intake and used some spacers to keep the plate away from the bottom of the PJ. I can post some pix later after work.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-03-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Shoot, that is pretty damn cool man! Thax for sharing!!!

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page