Sherwin Williams Gray Screen (SW 7071) - Who's using it? Any helpful hints? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, after looking in to some non-DIY screen materials, I'm considering just doing a paint job for the time being.

I think the simplest solution for now is just to stick to the N8-like Sherwin Williams Gray Screen (SW 7071). I will have to prep the wall a bit, and will need to prime it too, since it's currently got a (very light) olive green tint to it.

In terms of both the primer and the paint, do I just simply use a 5 mm roller, with a flat enamel latex? Or 10 mm and eggshell?

The room has a white ceiling and light hardwood floors. The other walls are light olive green, I'm guessing with probably about the equivalent of an N7 darkness I'm guessing.

P.S. I don't really want to use a basic matte paint, since they are impossible to clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-21-2007, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
No matter what paint you use a 5mm nap roller is advised. The white lint free synthetic rollers are what is recommended.

The Sherwin Williams Gray Screen is recommended in the "Duration Home, Extra White Matte Base, 6403-63925" which is quite washable. The Grey Screen is "SW 7071".

Here are some screen painting instructions. At least watch the video:

What projector do you have?
post #3 of 30 Old 10-21-2007, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

No matter what paint you use a 5mm nap roller is advised. The white lint free synthetic rollers are what is recommended.

The Sherwin Williams Gray Screen is recommended in the "Duration Home, Extra White Matte Base, 6403-63925" which is quite washable. The Grey Screen is "SW 7071".

Hmmm... So that's a flat/matte paint? Definitely not flat enamel? The reason I ask is because I think the existing paint is eggshell, and it still looks good with the projector.

BTW, I had been looking at the Cashmere paint, which is described as having a "Self-leveling formula means no brush or roller marks". It doesn't come in a matte, but does come in a flat enamel. Have any of you tried the Cashmere?

Quote:

What projector do you have?

Panasonic PT-AX200U. It's a bright projector, and its brightness is magnified by the fact that I'm only 8'10" from the wall, with an 88" screen size. I am only using their lower power Cinema modes, but even those look bright with this setup. That's why I'm considering an N8 grey paint, vs. a matte white screen. I'll have to compare with the Sherwin Williams colour swatches, but it would seem that Gray Screen is noticeably darker than the usual matte white 1.0 gain screens.

BTW, I'm going to paint the entire wall, which is about 10' wide by 8' tall.
post #4 of 30 Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

do as tiddler says and use the duration base. the cashmere has been used previously in this mix with less than desirable results.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 AM

What kind of throw distance/screen image are looking at with the gray screen? I ask because you do have an incredibly bright projector. If your screen size is going to be smallish you'll want to pick up an ND filter or go with a darker gray, like an n7.

I have gray screen up and I'm projecting an 80inch image (room constraints) and the image sparkles like crazy because I just have too many fl's.

An ND filter has been suggested to me, and I plan on ordering one soon. I find myself rather broke at the moment, unfortunately. Happy, finally, with my audio video experience, but still quite broke. :-)
post #6 of 30 Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrnole View Post

do as tiddler says and use the duration base. the cashmere has been used previously in this mix with less than desirable results.

Thanks to you both. Because of your advice I've gone with the Duration Home. The Sherwin Williams store had a nice demo of the matte paint's washability, and it also happens to be on sale right now too up here in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefft1413 View Post

What kind of throw distance/screen image are looking at with the gray screen? I ask because you do have an incredibly bright projector. If your screen size is going to be smallish you'll want to pick up an ND filter or go with a darker gray, like an n7.

I have gray screen up and I'm projecting an 80inch image (room constraints) and the image sparkles like crazy because I just have too many fl's.

An ND filter has been suggested to me, and I plan on ordering one soon. I find myself rather broke at the moment, unfortunately. Happy, finally, with my audio video experience, but still quite broke. :-)

I think N7 may be pushing it a bit too far in my setup for my tastes, esp. as the bulb ages. My projector is a Panasonic PT-AX200U with an 88" screen from less than 9' away. Even if N7 were appropriate, I figure a good compromise is to get the N8 neutral gray and if necessary get the ND filter. The added benefit is that the ND filter can be removed later when the lamp fades. However, my guess is the N8 will be fine.

BTW, I will still be comparing N8 vs some screen swatches. At worst, this N8 Gray Screen will be a temporary screen, to be painted over again later. At best, the N8 Gray Screen will become my primary screen.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

you can control the lumen output from your ax200 a lot better then jeff can from his samsung 710ae so you will be fine at that screen size without an ND filter.

the ax200 doesn't put out too many lumens in it's best setting.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone know what Carada's Classic Cinema White would correspond to? N9? N9.5? It has a touch of grey to it (and doesn't seem to be completely neutral either).

The reason I ask is because Carada's 1.0 gain CCW is a too bright for my tastes. Blacks are too grey, and whites are almost luminescent. OTOH, their 0.8 gain gray is too dark.

What ballpark gain might SW Gray Screen be? 0.90? 0.93? 0.95?
post #9 of 30 Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

gray screen is more like 0.79
post #10 of 30 Old 10-23-2007, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Uh oh. So you're saying that Gray Screen will be too dark if I find Carada's 0.8 gain High Contrast Gray too dark? Where did you get the gain numbers? Looking at the colour swatches, it seemed that Carada's HCG was much darker.

I haven't put the paint on the wall yet, so do you think it might be smart to start with the N9-ish Soothing White instead? What gain would that be? I know it's hard to tell from pictures, but N9 seems very white.

Gray Screen:

Soothing White <-- Click link

Maybe I should go buy some Soothing white too and paint some cardboard to see what they look like.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I applied the Sherwin Williams Gray Screen 7071 (N8). It looks quite good in terms of tonal balance and brightness, with my setup. It could be too dark if I were wanting to project a large image from far away with a low power mode, but with this Panasonic it's nice with my relatively small screen from a short throw. I don't feel I need a neutral density filter, but I'm using my Xbox 360 as a source with it set to "Expanded" IRE 0 via VGA, and I'm using one of the projector's "low" power modes.

The so-called "matte" Duration Home doesn't seem all that matte to me though. It's got a more smooth texture to it, which isn't quite eggshell, but which is more than what I'm used to for matte.

However, this is not an ideal solution for me. I've painted the entire wall the same colour, and the wall is not perfect - I can sometimes see the connection between two pieces of drywall in some images.

BTW, it seems the best way to do two coats is to use a new roller and a new paint tray liner for each coat. Yes you can bag them, but the texture isn't always 100% the same.
post #12 of 30 Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am getting slight hotspotting with this paint, and I'm thinking it's because it's too smooth. (See my comments above.)

I'm considering trying a 10 mm roller for another coat, instead of the 5 mm I used before. 15 mm would be pushing it though. What do you think? Or would 10 mm give me too much texture?
post #13 of 30 Old 10-24-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

I am getting slight hotspotting with this paint, and I'm thinking it's because it's too smooth. (See my comments above.)

I'm considering trying a 10 mm roller for another coat, instead of the 5 mm I used before. 15 mm would be pushing it though. What do you think? Or would 10 mm give me too much texture?

BuG, you may want to check the texture theory on a test panel...if changing the texture doesn't help the hot-spotting then you won't do all the work for naught.

Another option is a poly topcoat, that some have used to kill hot-spotting. Many have done it for Fashion Grey laminate. To be honest, I don't know what the latest and greatest thinking is as far as which poly is best (one that minimizes effect on the picture other than helping with hot-spotting).
post #14 of 30 Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Can you take a flash photo of the painted screen? From 5-10 feet back?

mech
post #15 of 30 Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmm... Maybe it's a false alarm. It seems better now, a day later. I suspect it's because it's had the whole day to cure.

Immediately after painting, it was unwatchable - sparklies.
An hour later it was still odd looking.
Many hours later it seemed dry but slight hotspotting was there.
Now a day later it seems much better.

I will take a flash picture later to see what it looks like.

However, I still wonder if Sherwin Williams (and other companies) are "cheating" with their washable matte paints. These mattes seem distinctly eggshell-like, just less so, and are not like the mattes of yesteryear.
post #16 of 30 Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm... Maybe it's a false alarm. It seems better now, a day later. I suspect it's because it's had the whole day to cure.

However, I still wonder if Sherwin Williams (and other companies) are "cheating" with their washable matte paints. These mattes seem distinctly eggshell-like, just less so, and are not like the mattes of yesteryear.

To really judge a paint you almost have to wait a week. At least a couple of days.

I think over time matte has come to be something between flat and eggshell. If I am not mistaken matte is French for flat. I always liked the term low luster for matte myself. Then you will find that what is Flat Enamel for Behr is an eggshell for Glidden. It's a mixed up crazy world!
post #17 of 30 Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Out of interest's sake, what are the recommended off-the-shelf N7 paints? I'm considering trying Jeff's N7 recommendation just for the hell of it, to improve blacks.

Note that I'm in Canada. I have no idea where to get EasyFlex or True Value paints. It's easy to get CIL Cilux, Behr, Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Debbie Travis, etc.

I do see this post:
Quote:

I have added some tint formulas based on information from Xrite.
White Coat Formulas

Wbassett received the following information directly from Xrite:

Based on that I have worked out the possible quart tints for varying shades of near neutral gray.

Quart Custom Tints Based on Xrite-Behr N7 Tints:
{Based on my own work with Behr UPW #1050, 1650, and #4850, these tints can be used in all three.}

Behr~N9.5
Lamp Black 0 3 0
Brown Oxide 0 0 1

Behr~N9
Lamp Black 0 5 1
Brown Oxide 0 1 0
Medium Yellow 0 0 1

Behr~N8
Lamp Black 0 10 1
Brown Oxide 0 2 0
Medium Yellow 0 1 0

Behr-N7
Lamp Black 0 15 1
Brown Oxide 0 3 1
Medium Yellow 0 1 1
As indicated by wbassett the N7 tint and the resulting sub-tints have not been tested by any of the DIY Community folks with the equipment to do so.

So if you trust guys in white coats better than guys in jeans and plaid shirts then you may prefer to use these tints.

Any other recommendations?
post #18 of 30 Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Out of interest's sake, what are the recommended off-the-shelf N7 paints? I'm considering trying Jeff's N7 recommendation just for the hell of it, to improve blacks.

Note that I'm in Canada. I have no idea where to get EasyFlex or True Value paints. It's easy to get CIL Cilux, Behr, Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Debbie Travis, etc.

I do see this post:

Any other recommendations?

I'm in Canada also and Behr is widely available at Home Depot. At the moment my EasyFlex solutions are based primarily on Behr paints.

Behr-N7 Quart Tint
Lamp Black 0 15 1
Brown Oxide 0 3 1
Medium Yellow 0 1 1

Try Xrite.com to see what they are about. They are the paint color experts, so I am told.
post #19 of 30 Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm in Canada also and Behr is widely available at Home Depot. At the moment my EasyFlex solutions are based primarily on Behr paints.

Behr-N7 Quart Tint
Lamp Black 0 15 1
Brown Oxide 0 3 1
Medium Yellow 0 1 1

Try Xrite.com to see what they are about. They are the paint color experts, so I am told.

BTW, does that just mean I'd get the UPW Flat 1050 and add these tints? What are 1650 and 4850?

What about for a gallon size? (I don't know how to read the numbers.)
post #20 of 30 Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, does that just mean I'd get the UPW Flat 1050 and add these tints? What are 1650 and 4850?

What about for a gallon size? (I don't know how to read the numbers.)

For all the details take a look at the EasyFlex Family of DIY Painted Screen Solutions thread.

The UPW #4850 is a very good quality self priming exterior matte finish UPW. It still hides well but has slightly more gain than the very flat UPW #1050

The UPW #1850 is designated as a flat enamel. By most paint standards it's an eggshell finish. Very washable and it has slightly more gain over the 4850.

You can just show the folks at Home Depot the quart tint and tell them you want a gallon.

Why are you looking at such a dark shade? Are you going to try the Pearlizing Clear Coat?

I thought you were just looking for a small gain boost and not to have to smooth out the wall?
post #21 of 30 Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My blacks with N8 are good but not stellar. I wonder if N7 could improve it without killing the whites.
post #22 of 30 Old 10-26-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My blacks with N8 are good but not stellar. I wonder if N7 could improve it without killing the whites.

I posted this in the EasyFlex thread, but here it is again:

---

So, I've painted the first coat of that Behr N7 formula. I guess I got to be the guinea pig.

This Behr 1050 Ultra Pure White Flat Interior paint feels thinner than Sherwin Williams Duration Home. Behr UPW goes on easier, but you have to be careful because it drips more easily. The SW Duration Home is more thick and sticky.

After just a few hours of drying, there is no hotspotting at all with Behr UPW Flat. Impressive.

Unfortunately, it's just too dark for my setup. Yes, blacks are blacker, but it seems one loses detail in the dark greys. With N8 Sherwin Williams Gray Screen, there was more perceptible shadow detail, at the expense of the blackest black. Despite the slightly lighter black, I prefer this. To increase detail for N7 I can increase the brightness, etc. but that makes the blacks similar to N8 blacks, and the projector gets louder. Without increasing the brightness, whites are OK, but are starting to look ever so slightly dull. BTW, Carada's High Contrast Gray is even darker than this Behr N7, although Carada's HCG is a slightly different colour too.

Hence, I'm going back to N8 SW Gray Screen. Too bad I bought a whole gallon of the Behr stuff.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 PM

You can thin the SW Gray Screen with water if need be...

mech
post #24 of 30 Old 10-26-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I posted this in the EasyFlex thread, but here it is again:

---

So, I've painted the first coat of that Behr N7 formula. I guess I got to be the guinea pig.

This Behr 1050 Ultra Pure White Flat Interior paint feels thinner than Sherwin Williams Duration Home. Behr UPW goes on easier, but you have to be careful because it drips more easily. The SW Duration Home is more thick and sticky.

After just a few hours of drying, there is no hotspotting at all with Behr UPW Flat. Impressive.

Unfortunately, it's just too dark for my setup. Yes, blacks are blacker, but it seems one loses detail in the dark greys. With N8 Sherwin Williams Gray Screen, there was more perceptible shadow detail, at the expense of the blackest black. Despite the slightly lighter black, I prefer this. To increase detail for N7 I can increase the brightness, etc. but that makes the blacks similar to N8 blacks, and the projector gets louder. Without increasing the brightness, whites are OK, but are starting to look ever so slightly dull. BTW, Carada's High Contrast Gray is even darker than this Behr N7, although Carada's HCG is a slightly different colour too.

Hence, I'm going back to N8 SW Gray Screen. Too bad I bought a whole gallon of the Behr stuff.

I guess you missed this post.
post #25 of 30 Old 10-27-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I went to N7 Behr, and then came back to N8 Sherwin Williams Gray Screen. Well, I'm now one day later after that new paint job again, this time with 6 mm rollers (just because that's what was available at the store).

I agree with tiddler it may take more time to cure, but I do see very mild hot-spotting with bright images with the SW Gray Screen using the Duration Home base. With N7 Behr UPW 1050 Flat, any hotspotting was absent after just a few hours of drying time.

It could be partially the different colour I don't know, but I'm now convinced that at least part of it is due to the slightly more prominent sheen to Duration home. I think SW may be cheating with its "Matte" label for Duration Home so they can advertise superior washability against competing matte/flat paints. It just isn't that "matte" compared to some other matte paints, like Behr "Flat".

Overall, I think the image is good, but in the future I may repaint the wall with an N8 Behr UPW Flat.

To summarize, I do like Sherwin Williams Gray Screen, and its washability is a plus. However, to reduce hotspotting (which admittedly is quite minor with SW Gray Screen), one might want to consider a true flat paint like the Behr UPW 1050. Washability will suffer, as may gain to a certain extent, but at least you have the choice. I personally am not interested in using a clear top coat, not just because of the potential colour shift, but also because of the potential for increased hotspotting.
post #26 of 30 Old 10-27-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think SW may be cheating with its "Matte" label for Duration Home so they can advertise superior washability against competing matte/flat paints. It just isn't that "matte" compared to some other matte paints, like Behr "Flat".

Well then Behr is cheating too! You should see the difference between the behr Flat 1050 and the Behr Flat Enamel 1850. I would call the 1850 an eggshell. These sheen designation vary from company to company.
post #27 of 30 Old 10-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have Behr Sterling (which I assume is close to N9) painted on my wall. I have an HC1500 which is very bright in low lamp mode. I will be experimenting with N7 this week, because I want some lights to be on in my basement as I enjoy my football games. Right now, blacks are just too washed out with my desired ambient light level. I figure with my light cannon of a projector, I can get away with a darker gray screen. Heck, I might even go N6. (with a pearl/poly topcoat of course.)

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #28 of 30 Old 10-28-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frorule View Post

I have Behr Sterling (which I assume is close to N9) painted on my wall. I have an HC1500 which is very bright in low lamp mode. I will be experimenting with N7 this week, because I want some lights to be on in my basement as I enjoy my football games. Right now, blacks are just too washed out with my desired ambient light level. I figure with my light cannon of a projector, I can get away with a darker gray screen. Heck, I might even go N6. (with a pearl/poly topcoat of course.)

Be careful.

My Panasonic PT-AX200U is even stronger. It was measured at over 2300 lumens! However, the colour balance goes progressively wonkier as you increase the light output, and things get harder to correct.

The cleanest colours seem to be in the 500-600 lumen range judging by that review, and I think that's about right. Apparently your projector is a bit strong in low lamp mode at a touch over 600 lumens, but it's not a night vs. day difference vs. the Panasonic I'm guessing.

That's why I got rid of N7 and went back to N8. N7 might work for you, but I'd probably not recommend N6, unless you're got a really small screen size.
post #29 of 30 Old 11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Bugs,

You were very correct. N7 was too dark. Heck, even N8 was a tad bit too dark. I mixed in a smidge of my Sterling (N9) with the N8 and it's perfect now. I was suprised by the darkness of N8. I added a poly/pearl topcoat to my 3-parts-to-1 N8/N9 mix and I am very happy. The black 1x3 poplar frame went up the next day and I'm done fudging with it. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy, and with the darker screen, I can even enjoy it with moderate amounts of ambient light. I might get some screen shots up sometime.

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #30 of 30 Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice to hear that N8/N9 works for you. Different projectors and different room conditions will give us different results for sure. I've avoided a top coat for now. I'm relatively satisfied with what I have now, and my GF already thinks I'm crazy for painting the wall so many times. I'd still like to get an N8-like framed screen eventually though. I just don't want to spend a large amount of money.

I've also noticed that masking would really, really help to... well... mask the not-so-black black borders, for movies that don't fill up the 16:9 aspect ratio.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page