Beginner's Guide Discussion Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This thread is intended to allow discussion of the contents of the new "Beginner's Guide To Simple Painted Screens".

If you have any suggestions, corrections, or comments regarding the "Beginner's Guide To Simple Painted Screens", please post them here. If you inadvertently post to the "Beginner's Guide To Simple Painted Screens", simple edit select all and copy, then delete the post. Add a reply here in this thread and paste the contents of your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I need some help finding the links to the Do-able thread and the Parkland Plastics Polywall thread.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found the Do-able thread but I still have not found the main Polywall thread. Anyone know where it is or what it was called?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:21 AM

Liked: 12
Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof55 View Post

Parkland Polywall thread:

HDTV Screen - High Quality and Very Low Cost

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:38 AM

Liked: 10
Great thread, I will be following closely.

Could you include a section that discusses the pros and cons of different substrates? For instance, what are the disadvantages of using a wall? It seems that builing a frame, stretching cloth over it, and then painting it is a big waste of time/$/energy. Why not just use a sheetrock wall or buy a piece of sheetrock to mount somewhere.

I painted neutral grey (over primer)-a simple rectangle on my sheetrock wall and I can't see how a construted screen would improve this. It works pretty darn good now though I'm sure it could be improved quite a bit with some polyurethane coating or something (I get way confused when reading the threads about this topic). However, I plan someday to move my projector and increase the size from 100" to 120". The new spot does not have a wall and if I opt for a fixed screen here I figure a piece of sheet rock would be just as well maybe framed/backed with some plywood to paint flat black for a border. I'm not very handy or tech savvy and looking for the simple solution. Would this work just as well as the seemingly more complicated cloth screen?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleedermouse View Post

Great thread, I will be following closely.

Could you include a section that discusses the pros and cons of different substrates? For instance, what are the disadvantages of using a wall? It seems that builing a frame, stretching cloth over it, and then painting it is a big waste of time/$/energy. Why not just use a sheetrock wall or buy a piece of sheetrock to mount somewhere.

I painted neutral grey (over primer)-a simple rectangle on my sheetrock wall and I can't see how a construted screen would improve this. It works pretty darn good now though I'm sure it could be improved quite a bit with some polyurethane coating or something (I get way confused when reading the threads about this topic). However, I plan someday to move my projector and increase the size from 100" to 120". The new spot does not have a wall and if I opt for a fixed screen here I figure a piece of sheet rock would be just as well maybe framed/backed with some plywood to paint flat black for a border. I'm not very handy or tech savvy and looking for the simple solution. Would this work just as well as the seemingly more complicated cloth screen?

I added some reasons why you might chose to paint something other than the wall. The wall is the most obvious and if in good shape it can be quite an easy and inexpensive DIY screen solution.

Thanks for the input fleedermouse, it was appreciated!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm looking for suggestions of what sheet materials to use as a painted screen substrate?

MDF

1/8" Thrifty White Hardboard

Masonite ?

Parkland Plastics Polywall

What else?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

I'm looking for suggestion of what more I should say about the Proud Painter's Screen?

In other words are the diagrams adequate information for someone to build this screen?

The answer is a firm "maybe".

It all depends on the experience the potential builder has with cutting and working with sheet goods. For a new builder, no, much more explanation would be required for a successful build; imo, even down to marking the screw positions on the layout.

Trying to use EVERY inch of a 4x8 sheet is a noble goal, and it can be done, but the math makes my head hurt. You are correct that the 12" dimensions on the cutting layout don't take the width of the saw blade into consideration, and it will make a difference. Also, the bottom row with pieces 5, 6, 8 and 9 does not take one of the saw cuts into account so the given dimension of at least one piece is in error.

Something that might be confusing is that pieces 6 and 8 on the "Rear View" diagram appear to be square while the same pieces on the cutting layout are rectangular.

I know that this is a work in progress, but no mention has been made yet as to how this frame is held together except to mention the need for glue and screws.

I mean nothing negative when I ask, has anyone actually built this frame?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpmaker View Post

The answer is a firm "maybe".

It all depends on the experience the potential builder has with cutting and working with sheet goods. For a new builder, no, much more explanation would be required for a successful build; imo, even down to marking the screw positions on the layout.

Trying to use EVERY inch of a 4x8 sheet is a noble goal, and it can be done, but the math makes my head hurt. You are correct that the 12" dimensions on the cutting layout don't take the width of the saw blade into consideration, and it will make a difference. Also, the bottom row with pieces 5, 6, 8 and 9 does not take one of the saw cuts into account so the given dimension of at least one piece is in error.

Something that might be confusing is that pieces 6 and 8 on the "Rear View" diagram appear to be square while the same pieces on the cutting layout are rectangular.

I know that this is a work in progress, but no mention has been made yet as to how this frame is held together except to mention the need for glue and screws.

I mean nothing negative when I ask, has anyone actually built this frame?

I have removed the plans for the painter's screen until I have a chance to actually build a prototype.

Thanks for the input Harpmaker!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I built my Designer White screen this evening. Stayed up late putting together photos and a commentary of the entire process while I still had some of the issues I ran into fresh in my mind. You can find it here.

My entire theater is outlined in the threads under the Home Theater section of my blog.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I misunderstood what this thread was for. I'll move the post over to the Laminate section.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is a felt or velvet tape that is linked here from time to time. Can someone post that link for me?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old 11-02-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlinytheWelder View Post

It might be this one:
http://mysticalley.com/berwick_velvetribbon.html

That is interesting but I think it was a tape with an adheasive backing. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the input PlinytheWelder!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have finished including lists of near-neutral gray brand name tints in the Beginner's Guide.

In addition to the RGB values from the Easy RGB database I have created tint visualization images. Here is an example for Sherwin Williams "Ice Cube", "Passive", and "Gray Screen".

Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am looking for links to a thread that will provide information regarding the use of the Wagner Control Spray or spray painting in general.

Not being experienced with spray painting I have only provided some very cursory comments on the topic of spraying screen paint.

I would like to provide one or more links to some more in depth information on the topic. OR! If one of the knowledgeable spray painters would care to compose a presentation on spray painting that could be included in the Beginner's Guide or it could form the start of a "Guide To Advanced DIY Screen Paint & Application Techniques".

Any thoughts or help would be great.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am looking for some photos of rooms used for front projection that are not white or black. In other words a room color scheme that might meet the WAF as well as help with reducing rebound ambient light.

These photos will be used in the Beginner's Guide. Since my focus is on "Home Theater" and not "Private Theaters" in a home, bat cave colors are not likely to be accepted in a living room or family room.

I know I have seen some very nicely appointed rooms that used shades of gray or slate blue. I just can't seem to find them again in the galleries. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was pointed out to me that most of the Pratt & Lambert tints listed in the Near-Neutral tints section of the beginner's guide were not actually neutral. That is neutral according to the tolerance of the CIE-L*ab values for "a" and "b" being within 1 of zero.

I have gone through all the tints listed and indicated the ones that meet this neutral gray tolerance. I also flagged the ones that are indistinguishable from a neutral gray background. I suspect the neutral gray tolerance that is perceptible by eye is not the simple circle but possibly an elliptical region. The long axis of the ellipse would probably be along the diagonal band that runs through the color plot. That's just a guess on my part though. I'll leave it up to the color experts to explain it properly.

Generally I would agree that this tolerance does agree with the tint visualizations. There are certainly plenty of neutral gray tints to satisfy or needs.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well folks, I have finished with the Beginner's Guide. Bud is going to add a few posts on how to determine the best shade of gray for a given setup. Other than that I have basically included everything I could think of that a Beginner Needs to know about painting their first projection screen. There is some alternative information regarding non-painted screens but my knowledge in those areas is very slim.

To all the old timers that I learned from over the past couple of years I want to say a big Thank You.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

After sending numerous PM's to tiddler asking him what tint to use if I wanted to improve screen contrast and also be able to watch movies with some ambient lights. After giving him my info: like the color of my schemes (wall, ceillings) and before I only use BEHR UPC 1050 (flat) so it is basically white screen, and I've been curiuos how it would look like if I go with SS Behr paint so I sent him pm's and he explained to me every effect of each tint I decided to go with his recommendation which is N8.5 medium gray. Over the weekend before the superbowl I applied 2 coat of n8.5 with 3 hours in between application and the result was great, it improved the picture contrast I can now turn on lights and still able to watch great PQ over my screen, and I get better PQ when we turn off the light completely which was waaay better than having a white screen. Before there was a whitewash if I turn on the lights now is gone after painting it to n8.5 medium gray, I am very happy with the result BIG THANKS to tiddler for being so helpful and directing me basic technics in painting your screen.

Peter

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have updated the Behr custom neutral gray tints in the Beginner's Guide. Behr has recently switched to a 384ths ounce tint formula. This is to accommodate making up small sample bottles of their colors.

I also fixed the links to the Behr paint bases, and included the new Behr ULTRA Interior Flat Enamel.

If anyone knows of any other errors or broken links please let me know in this thread.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Liked: 12
Looks great - thank you, Todd!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM

I am trying to get a N9 neutral gray color using this formula

DIY Tint {Light Gray}
Quart Custom Tint
Behr UPW (1050,1750,1850,4850)
031 Lamp Black
007 Brown Oxide
003 Yellow Oxide

however it came out like a N8 gray ( too dark )
anyone know the correct numbers for a N9 gray ?

Thank You !
Old 12-16-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannoy5 View Post

I am trying to get a N9 neutral gray color using this formula

DIY Tint {Light Gray}
Quart Custom Tint
Behr UPW (1050,1750,1850,4850)
031 Lamp Black
007 Brown Oxide
003 Yellow Oxide

however it came out like a N8 gray ( too dark )
anyone know the correct numbers for a N9 gray ?

Thank You !

I assume you already purchasedf the paint tinted as indicated in your post. Therefore you don't need another can of tinted paint, all you need is to get some UPW untinted and mix down the tinted paint to the shade you want. Try a small batch of 2 parts tinted to 1 part UPW.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Liked: 11
I have read the beginners guide and just wanted to confirm my understanding, since I have read all kinds of contradictory material...

I have an HD20 in a moderately controlled light room. I have started painting with Behr Sterling (one coat, waiting on it to dry right now). I was planning to add a coat of Behr Poly but it doesn't seem to exist any more. I now see that the beginners guide says to mix the poly with the paint... but the 2:1 ratio seems like a lot to me... is that correct? Is this much better than painting it over?

Is there a current brand of poly that can be had at a chain store these days? I can't find any of the brands listed in the guide with some quick searches...

thanks,
Pat
Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
G'day Tiddler (or anyone else?)

Thanks for your terrific "Guide to DIY Painted screens" thread.

Being very new to this (and extremely time-starved), I'm really struggling to get my head around exactly what to buy & do to get a light gray screen with recovered whites that you demonstrate in the last two pics here.

From what I understand, it's a gray panel (or paint?) with some polyurethane and silver metallic added.
It's marked as "Flat gray + Poly + Pearl + Silver".
(Btw, does this combo have a compromise with viewing angle, silver speckling, or anything else?)

I'm in Australia, so I guess Dulux will be the go.
I'm wanting to paint a 2400x1200 3mm panel of white melamine-coated MDF. The other side is straight MDF.

I mistakenly prayed on some Micador Mat Spray to kill sheen & hotspotting, but to no effect. Hopefully I won't need to sand first before painting? If so, I'll use the other side.

You can see my room by clicking on the signature.
My room is lights-OFF when viewing and has masking. The large curtain in the photos is being replaced with a dark purple, but alas - carpet, ceiling and walls are light.

So I'm after best contrast with best ambient light rejection, wide viewing angle and no hotspots or speckling.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Is this more or less the same as the "Black Widow" combo mentioned here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=994372
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DULUX is an ICI Paints brand. Therefore any of the neutral gey ICI Paints codes should be applicable. Checkout the ICI Paint codes here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post12107491

I would also suggest you take a look at the "Beginner's Delight" DIY Screen Paint thread. Don't let the name fool you. After playing around with various mixes this simple neutral grey with a low lustre finish produced the most natural image with that "looking out an open window" experience.