HDTV Screen – High Quality and Very Low Cost - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1284 Old 05-13-2002, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
truly great instructions.

its unfortunately going to have to move three or four times in its life. given the fact that its not gonna fit in a car, any recommendations for transit? just rip out caulk and do over?

nothing quite like the diy. all the screen you can handle. all the lumens your willing to build it with.

myren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1284 Old 05-14-2002, 01:33 PM

Well added a 1/4" plywood to the back of it. Much better, got rid of the waves, now there's just a slight bow. Probably fix that with some liquid nails and more support on the back.
post #453 of 1284 Old 05-14-2002, 06:54 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For those of you in the metro Detroit/SE/Mid Michigan area, I just called Parkland, and they said all Home Depots, Lowes, and Menards in Michigan should have the Plas Tex wall panel.

Menards is only in Lansing and Battle Creek.

Lowes and Home Depots are everywhere .
post #454 of 1284 Old 05-17-2002, 09:01 AM

Well...I finally did it! I had purchased 2 5x8 sheets about 3 weeks ago. They have been sitting on my dining room floor ever since that time. Need less to say...my GF was not very happy. She finally pushed enough buttons and forced me to go ahead with teh project.

I ended up making a 40 1/2" x 72" screen (viewable area). I used 3/4" hardwood plywood for a backer (pretty heavy) and 2 1/4" window trim for the frame (so the actual size is 45" x 76 1/2"). I took Juno's advice and painted the frame with flat back grill paint. The wood really soaked it up quickly and it only took 2 coats (as he said it would). The paint works nicely. It absorbs ALL light that is projected beyond the screen.

So, now I still have one sheet of 5x8 left. I have the itch to build a bigger screen...maybe 104" diagonal. I already have all teh necessary tools/materials from the first project. The only thing I would need to buy would be the backer (probably 3/4" hardwood plywood again).

I will posts some pics the first chance that I get. I am in the process of finishing the basement and it would not make for a very nice picture

John
post #455 of 1284 Old 05-17-2002, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

hey, how about some pictures of the finished projects?

Pocatello
post #456 of 1284 Old 05-17-2002, 11:09 PM

John,
I'm glad that paint worked for you...does the job, and is substantially cheaper than velvet.

Post some pics, if you can.

-Juno

For I AM PERSUADED...Rom. 8:38-39
post #457 of 1284 Old 05-18-2002, 05:12 AM

I just need to touch-up the brads (since they are silver) and put the screen in a decent looking room. Hopefully today.

John
post #458 of 1284 Old 05-21-2002, 08:30 PM

I finally finished my screen. I thought I would post an update. I made a pretty secure frame. I went with a 96.5" x 58.5" screen. I then used 2.25" moulding to trim the frame give me a 92" by 54" viewable image. In 16x9 I get 92x52" and in 4:3 I have a 54 x 72 image. I had to go smaller on the 4:3 image due to the zoom limitations. Although, I am happy with the aspects I can get.

I ended up spending more than I had originally planned because I wanted a solid frame. I glued 1/4" pressboard to a 1x2 popler frame. Then I used mounting brackets to secure all the 1x2 frame members. Then I used contact cement to attach the polywall material to the hardboard.

I am going to hang it by using eyehooks and chain.
post #459 of 1284 Old 05-22-2002, 05:53 AM

Marty D.:
You might want to try using "high tension cable" (I don't know what the actual name is) instead of chain.

It's just as inexpensive, easier to work with, and the really thin stuff is really strong.

By using the really thin stuff, it just about disappears in low light conditions and doesn't call attention to itself.

It's normally carried at all of the Home Depots and Lowes.

-Good Luck.
-Juno

post #460 of 1284 Old 05-22-2002, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I glued and screwed two strips of 1/2" mdf together and then ripped them horizontally down the middle at a 45 degree angle. I then screwed one piece with the 45 degree cut on top onto the wall with the angle up and going away from the wall (make sure it is level). The other half was attached inside the top of the screen frame in reverse. (I hope this makes sense.) Finally, I lowered the screen onto the the piece attached to the wall and the 45 degree cuts mated perfectly, securing the screen to the wall in a very solid fashion with nothing showing. (I picked up this tip from the Trading Spaces TV program. They used it for hanging shelves and cabinets.)

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #461 of 1284 Old 05-26-2002, 07:35 AM

Jsalk,

I really like your idea on the screen hanger. It's simple & very effective.

I confused on your material choice. I'm not familiar with 1/2" mdf. Can you explain?

Mike
post #462 of 1284 Old 05-26-2002, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mike -

I think MDF stands for medium density fiberboard. I think it is made from sawdust and glue and is very flat (no warpage). Actually, any 1" hardwood would do fine and perhaps plywood would work as well. (I just happened to have some 1/2" mdf laying around.) I would avoid using a softwood that could break or warp.

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #463 of 1284 Old 05-27-2002, 09:55 AM

Liked: 16
Hey Folks,

I'm just too lazy to scan over 24 pages of this thread, so forgive me if I have to ask this: can I find this product in Canada or I'll have to go through the mail order route?

Thanks in advance.
Kelvin
post #464 of 1284 Old 06-02-2002, 08:31 AM

I've been projecting on my Beige wall and I'm ready to tackle my PP project. I have had the material lying flat for over two months. It's a 4x8 sheet cut down to the proper16*9 ratio.

After rereading this thread I think I want to go with a backer instead of tacking it right one the wall.

Has anyone used luann? that really thin 1/4 ~ 1/8 plywood material? would that be good enough?

I like the idea of light and might try and do the 1" styrofoam backer...

As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly....Arthur Carlson
post #465 of 1284 Old 06-02-2002, 09:11 AM

Marty D.
Like Juno, I have used clear-coated cable. It is quite thin and essentially invisible in the darkened room. It clips to eyehooks at the ceiling and screen. I added small adjustable turnbuckles (painted black) on the screen-end of each cable to allow for leveling and/or height adjustments (over a several inch range). In addition to convenience, this has good WAF as well.
post #466 of 1284 Old 06-04-2002, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone glued the PP panel to cloth or carpet?

For a light-weight screen, I was thinking about stretching some strong canvas or thin carpet over a frame (HD sells a black, thin carpet material that could work). Then, glue the PP panel on top. The backng material will keep the screen from wringling and will lighten the frame compared to usng any kind of plywood etc. It could then be hung.

Rich
post #467 of 1284 Old 06-04-2002, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Rich -

Based on my experience with the material, I'd think twice about trying to adhear it to soft material. That is unless you have a sheet to spare. I had a somewhat difficult time adhearing it to a hard surface.

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #468 of 1284 Old 06-06-2002, 06:49 AM

Kelvink,
I'm in Calgary, and have been following this and other diy fora since april. The Parkland Plastics product sounds ideal, but I've not been able to locate it anywhere here.

As an alternative, I visited some plastics distributors here in Calgary, and found that General Electric has a plastics division, and after giving them a description of the Poly-Wall (be specific!), they pointed me to a material called High-Impact Styrene. It has properties very similar to the polywall, although neither side can truly be considered "matte" finished. Both sides are in the semi-gloss range. However, I've mounted it onto a frame of 1x4s, and it's behaving nicely.

No hot spot from my 600 watt overhead projector, even without the lcd panel on top.

the 4x8 sheet cost $19, and rolled up enough to take home in the back seat of the Saturn. I realize it's probalby less perfect than the Parkland Poly-Wall, but I saved a higher cost, exchange, shipping and the time to get it here, plus the risk of damage in transit. Worth it, if you ask me.

You can see a pic of my screen (although it's not much to look at: a big white rectangle), in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5055#post35055

Plus, there's a post several pages furhter back in that forum by a poster names "undream" who has pix of his construction, which I've blatently copied and used.

Hope this helps.

dave.
post #469 of 1284 Old 06-06-2002, 01:23 PM

What is everybody using to clean their screen. After I got my screen up I noticed that there were several dark spots. Probably from dust, etc. The area does not come completely clean using water adn/or windex. Is there a light abrasive that anyone is using.
post #470 of 1284 Old 06-06-2002, 02:44 PM

Rich4av:

You may want to see my thread on this topic here:

Free-hanging Parkland Plastics Screen
post #471 of 1284 Old 06-07-2002, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

jsalk,

I guess you're right. Bonding cloth to the panel could be difficult.

JimR,

I'll check the other thread for ideas.

Rich
post #472 of 1284 Old 06-10-2002, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Hey,

Just ordered a 5x8 sheet that will be hanging *outside* in the back-yard for some out-door movie nights. I need to build a frame or mount the screen to keep it rigid as it will be hanging from the railing of the deck. I don't want to just glue it to plywood as this will get a lot of weather and possibly remain outside year round.

Any suggestions? One thought I have is to get some pressure-treated lattice and mount it to that. The 5x8 size might be a challenge. Maybe gluing it to some exterior-foam-board insullation might work too?

I'd love some suggestions to help my outdoor screen last (and I just *hate* what happens to plywood exposed to rain and weather).

Someone else mentioned they built a PVC frame. Is this a good solution too? How did you get it to mount "flat" when the PVC joints have a thicker circumfrance than the piping?

thanks!

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #473 of 1284 Old 06-15-2002, 09:03 PM
JP
AVS Special Member

Well, I had to drive about 50 miles for it but I got some of this Parkland Plastic and I am impressed. I have been very happy projecting against a very white wall for some time now. However, my white wall just doesn't appear white anymore Either my white wall isn't truly white or the Parkland plastic actually exhibits some gain which was a surprise. I have attached an image where you can see how grey the white wall looks compared to the screen. I still need to add masking and this image in no way displays how the image really looks. I am not sure why but this image came out awful but still it get the point across.

My future plans include masking and going the other direction and painting it grey for a grey screen. It should be interesting.
LL
post #474 of 1284 Old 06-19-2002, 04:11 PM

Well, at long last. I finally have a pic to post of my screen. This pic was taken from what will be the viewing distance...about 15'. The screen is 40.5" x 72" (overall size is 45" x 76.5"...taking into account the borders). The PP material is glued to a 3/4" hardwood plywood back using contact cement. The 2 1/4" border (door trim) is painted with HI-Temp grill paint (thx Juno ) and is secured to the plywood using 3/4" brads. All-in-all, I am very happy with the outcome of my screen.

Please ignore the decor of my basement...I am still in the process of finishing it. Also, the lighting is awful because I am right next to the basement sliders and it is still light outside. Half of the screen has a shadow.

Believe it or not, that screen is not even fastened to the wall in any way. It just sits there like that and has never fell once!

I will post some pics of my Barco 1208S projecting against the screen tonight. Stay tuned...

John
LL
post #475 of 1284 Old 06-19-2002, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

John, the screen looks great. Thanks for posting. You are one of the few in these 24 pages of posts to present a picture of your screen.

Pocatello
post #476 of 1284 Old 06-19-2002, 07:35 PM

Thx Pocatello!

As promised, here are some screenshots.

Equipment Details
PJ: Barco 1208S
Screen: PP 40 1/2" x 72"
Source: HTPC running 1440x960 @48hz, Radeon 7500 64mb DDR, Lite-on LTD-163 DVD Player
Camera: Kodak DC290

The first pic is to show exactly how burnt my blue CRT is! It is amazing these units can produce a picture like this with and tube that is toasted and someone who knows next to nothing about convergence! Anyways, a new tube is on the way...I can't wait!

I tried to embed the pictures into this post, but it didn't work. Go to the link below to see them.

Enjoy!

http://www.msnusers.com/johnodon/sho...nw?albumlist=2

John
post #477 of 1284 Old 06-19-2002, 09:58 PM

Looks really, really nice John! Good Job!
And you're welcome. I'm glad I could help, if only just a little.

-Juno

post #478 of 1284 Old 06-22-2002, 10:08 AM

Quick question,
I've framed out my theater, 12.5 x 19.5, and my question is in regard to screen placement.
I plan to paint the front wall flat black, even though the screen already has a 2.5" black border. My neighbor is who is Carpenter suggested recessing the screen about 3 inches into the wall. Can I do this without sacrificing picture quality?
post #479 of 1284 Old 06-22-2002, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

what is your motivation to recess the screen?

Pocatello
post #480 of 1284 Old 06-22-2002, 08:36 PM

there is a 2 inch difference between the frame that the screen will be mounted on, and the studs I have in place for framing out the wall. My question is will I lose image quality if the screen in recessed into the wall, about two inches. Again, the wall will be painted black, and the screen itself has a black border as well.
Any ideas?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page