HDTV Screen – High Quality and Very Low Cost - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1284 Old 11-18-2002, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Snowman is right. The ripples we had were NOT the result of shipping, but in the way it cooled after it was extruded. We weren't supposed to be shipped those. Rolling it up for shipping is fine. They don't compact it, either. Shipping is the largest part of the cost of these things when you go 5 X 10, but for us, it was worth the extra size.

Dawn
Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1284 Old 11-18-2002, 04:26 PM

wow.
this all sounds great.

problem is, I'm a computer geek, not a handyman.
Anybody who's built one successfully, interested in building me one of these? (52x92 size)
will pay the $150 to cover parts and labor and additional for whatever shipping would be.
I know this kind of defeats the purpose of saving money being it's a DIY project, but it still saves some... (the price of some HT screens will break me),
thanks!

-WES
wm@wesmoore.com
post #633 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 08:49 AM

I run into the problem of projector reflection. The poly-wal is so bright and reflective--you see the projector light at all times. Is there anything I can do about that or do I need a different type of piece that is not that reflective?
post #634 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 09:35 AM

Which side are you viewing? The smooth side will have hot spots, the rough textured side does not have any with my projector.

Another trick is to tilt the screen (top to bottom) so that the projector beam is reflected away from the viewers eyes. I have done 10-20 degrees with conference room systems & no one can tell the difference.

Good luck

Snowman
post #635 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 10:43 AM

Mine only has one side. It's the bright white polywall--the back is just brown. I saw the other sheet with texture/smooth but that's basically like my wall. I like the trick idea but my room is really small. I was thinking of trying the countertop material. It's not quite as white but it is smooth and I think it would still work. Anything would be better than the textured wall I assume.
post #636 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 11:44 AM

You might be surprised how little tilt is required. Try visualizing the center of the projector beam & how it is reflecting off the screen/wall. Or use a laser pointer and a flat mirror. If it is coming in at head height, try tilting the screen up or down a bit to get it the first bounce out of the eyes.

It sounds like you screen is too smooth. Texture acts as a diffuser - i.e. reflects the light back over a larger angle.

Have you tried just the wall yet? My off white wall has more texture than the textured side of the polyboard. But there was not much difference between the image projected onto the wall and the polyboard - polyboard was very slightly richer.

Snowman
post #637 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 11:56 AM

I may try the tilt. It's kind of difficult though--I am mounting this directly to the wall. I was using the wall itself but the room is small so it was really bright. I've now hung sheets on the wall to help--paint was going to be way to much trouble (townhome). What do you think the results would be with the slightly off white countertop material? It's a 4:3 screen--I'm having the dimension be 48 by 67--the extra 1.5 inches per side give me room to mount and then frame around.
post #638 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 12:13 PM

If the counter top material has a smooth surface, you probably will get the same result. Any smooth surface is going to tend to hot spot & have a narrow viewing angle.

If you can not tilt the screen, can you perhaps change the height of the projector?

Another "solution" might be to paint the polyboard screen with "screen goo". http://www.goosystems.com/

Snowman
post #639 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 12:25 PM

How would the tilt work? The projector is just above couch level and the reflection spot is at the very bottom. Would I raise the front of the projector (thus the overall picture) and the screen? If it's still there somewhat--would i tilt the top of the screen toward the viewing position a little?
post #640 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 01:10 PM

Your current placement almost guarantees a hot spot with any screen. The projector beam is at the same height as your eyes and reflecting off a flat surface. Try using a hand mirror against the screen. Looking at the mirror reflection, if you can see both the bright projector beam and the top of your couch, you probably need to change either the screen angle or the projector location.

You can tilt the mirror up or down to get an idea of how much is required. This a little easier with a helper and a laser pointer, but easy enough by yourself. The reflected spot should not come back to the seated viewing eye area.

Try putting the projector on the floor/ceiling & tilting it up/down to fill the screen. The reflected hot spot should then go over/below your head when you are sitting.

Good Luck

Snowman
post #641 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 01:20 PM

Thanks for all your help--all this work still beats the heck out of my big screen!
post #642 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

We have had the PLV-70 on a table right behind us, and no hot-spotting with the Parkland. I haven't seen an answer to Snowman's original question - which side of the Parkland are you using? If it is smooth, you have the wrong side.

Dawn
Thanks guys!
post #643 of 1284 Old 11-20-2002, 02:03 PM

I think I got the wrong one---I got the bright white--not the pewter texture/smooth.
post #644 of 1284 Old 11-25-2002, 11:05 AM

Bump.

Does this thread holds the record for most posts and/or views?
post #645 of 1284 Old 11-25-2002, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

We have the bright white screen also, but there are two sides. One side is very smooth. One side is slightly textured. They usually stick the sticker on the smooth side, and that is the backside. It will hot spot. Use the textured side for a great picture with no hot spotting.

Dawn
Thanks guys!
post #646 of 1284 Old 11-27-2002, 12:51 AM
wlo

Hi all,

I am planning to purchase the Sony HS10 or the Sanyo Z1, which color should I choose ? The pewter color or the bright white ? Will pewter will enhense the back level compared to bright white ?

Also, does anyone know where can I get this in Vancouver Canada ?
Many thanks in advance..
post #647 of 1284 Old 11-27-2002, 02:34 PM

With either of those projectors I would recommend the Pewter.

LCD/DLP do not produce the best blacks, however, the pewter will enhance the blacks.

I had an LCD projector up until just recently, and the Greyish screens add much better contrast/blacks...

I am a CRT guy now tho

doom.
post #648 of 1284 Old 12-02-2002, 10:48 AM

Hey all, Ive been reading for the past couple of days, trying to learn more about this stuff I am looking at the Infocus X1 for my basement and am curious if this stuff would make a good screen for it. The only reason I am asking is I still have yet to learn about all the different projectors, etc and am trying to pick a direction with this. Any help would be appreciated! There is alot out here I did not know about this stuff, its really kind of overwhelming!

Thanks
Clint
post #649 of 1284 Old 12-02-2002, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

If you can control the light in your HT, and you should in a basement, try for a CRT projector. The best bang for your buck is with CRT.

You can get used PJ's for 10 cents on the dollar... in other words, a $12,000 PJ can be purchased for $800 or $1,000.

Pocatello
post #650 of 1284 Old 12-02-2002, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Clinto,
Welcome to the club!
Just relax and read the forums. I read for three months, and then we bought the PLV-70. We're just loving it. Good luck!

Dawn
Thanks guys!
post #651 of 1284 Old 12-02-2002, 07:02 PM

Liked: 11
For what it's worth dept:

I've tried various cloth backing for a screens but found Tempered Masonite (smooth and stiff) makes a simple, problem-free support. A 4 X 8 sheet cut to 85.3 inches length for 16:9 aspect ratio provides a sag-free environment for paint. Sand the masonite with a fine grit before applying the paint. I used 3 finish nails to hang the screen. It hangs very flat. The nails are almost invisible at viewing distance.

I've experimented with many paints and find Liquitex white gesso to be the best. You buy this in an art store. Use two or three coats. Spraying is best as you want a surface like fine sandpaper. The result is an almost perfect matte-white surface. Total cost about $20, but performance was the goal--not cost.

My DLP (a Marantz 12S-1) has excellent blacks so no need for a grey screen. The screen works well with CRT's too.

Note: I found a black velvet border about 6" wide helped get rid of overscan problems since the Marantz has no electronic masking. If there is something out there that works better, I haven't found it--even the $2000+ screens don't do any better in side-by-side tests.
post #652 of 1284 Old 12-02-2002, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dawn
Clinto,
Welcome to the club!
Just relax and read the forums. I read for three months, and then we bought the PLV-70. We're just loving it. Good luck!

Thanks Dawn, Im learning alot already, real confused on the DLP vs LCD projectors Ill get it figured out. I would assume that making a screen would be a good idea no matter which projector I get. I am going to go see if I can find some demo projectors this week

Clint
post #653 of 1284 Old 12-02-2002, 07:30 PM

Well, I got my screen done. 80x45 using the Parkland product. Went to menards today and they had a WHOLE load of the stuff.

I had previously made a blackout screen. I wasn't happy with the painting afterwards. So, I just slapped the parkland right over the blackout, stapled it on, and put the trim on over that. If there was any light leaking through the parkland plastic, there isn't now thanks to the blackout material back.. that's for sure!

Here's a link to pics of it (well, only one, the rest is my HT project)
http://www.bvstools.com/pics/basement.html

Also, I was thinking. For more gain, would something like Armor all, or car wax over this plastic help? Just thinking out loud.

Hopefully getting my HS10 and HTPC components soon! The screen alone looks cool, but just doesn't cut it..hehe..
post #654 of 1284 Old 12-07-2002, 08:59 PM

Just a quick question has anyone tried a translucent/clear gesso-pearl on a Parkland panel?
post #655 of 1284 Old 12-16-2002, 01:13 PM

I got my screen up this weekend and have about 8 hours on it. I have noticed that there is some light that goes through it. I can see my frame behind the screen. Even the parts of the frame that are not touching the screen. I have only noticed it at 1.2x, so it is not a big deal. I do have a window behind the screen, but it has some thick curtains covering it.

Just something I figured I would mention this on here. Otherwise the screen is great. Super easy to install and has no hotspotting.
post #656 of 1284 Old 12-17-2002, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Originally posted by bobeetie
Anyone found this poly-wall material in Canada. I called Parkland and they'll ship it but I don't want the thing rolled up and mailed. Parkland referred me to www.doitbest.com but they don't have store directories for Canada (every other country in the world though)
The Home Depots I've called don't recognize the SKU # mentioned in this thread and don't carry the brand.

I went to Home Depot in Ottawa. I was thinking of trying a sheet of what I think is "wall board" (3/16 inch thick) that has a "textured" white paint finish that they have. I got a small 1 X 3 foot piece. I don't have my future X1 yet (hopefully in the spring) but used a slide projector and compared it with a normal portable slide projector screen. The traits appear very similar, with perhaps a little "hot spotting" although it was hard to tell with such a small piece and setup. Has anyone else tried this material? It would be easy to frame. In addition, I was looking at plain white waterproof (washable) Barker Tile board which they also carry in Canada. It is quite glossy but I have exchanged an email with Barker Tile and they did indicate that they might be coming out with a more "matt like" finish at the beginning of next year.... so perhaps there are some low cost screen options for us too.
post #657 of 1284 Old 12-18-2002, 05:58 PM

Well after weeks of waiting my HS10 finally arrived. I am pleased with my Parkland built screen for the cost. It seems to be every bit as good as my previous da-lite da snap matte white screen. Certain movies seem to have a slight snowy glare to them for example "Shrek" during the night scenes but not on Toy Story 2. I have spot checked many different movies so overall I am satisfied.

Looking back on the screen contruction the two successful keys for me were a good solid background to adhesive the screen to and using the wifes rolling pin to smooth the screen over the adhesive. Anyone looking for a low cost screen this is the way to go.
post #658 of 1284 Old 12-19-2002, 06:21 AM

Anyone use a Sharp 9000 with the parkland screen material? If so how do you rate it?

CarDawg
post #659 of 1284 Old 12-20-2002, 12:39 AM

thinking of doing a stylish "stretched" look, by surrounding the edge of the screen with grommets spaced a reasonable distance apart; maybe every 6 inches. then maybe a lightweight wood or metal frame?

Another option is to only do grommets along the top and bottom, hanging the screen from two heavy dowels to keep it straight. If it can handle a lot of tension, one could simply grommet the corners and stretch it

but....
for now, i'm gonna just get the 4x8, cut to the right width for 640x400. I'm gonna hang two sets of hooks from the cieling, one for 640x480 (closer to the projector) and a second for 640x400 which is further back and uses the whole width of the screen.

any concerns with this? I would imagine it has the mass to hold up to a bit fo a breeze without flopping around.

sound good? I'll get pics up tomorrow if I can.
post #660 of 1284 Old 12-20-2002, 04:50 AM

henry:
I have actually had mine hanging for the last year from 2 hooks using that thin high tension cable.

Mine is framed by 1x4s and the hooks for the cable are attached to the rear of the frame. The cable just disappears in low lighting kind of making it look like the screen is floating.

The frame is painted using Hi-temp BBQ black paint . You may have read that in previous posts. It has less of a reflective quality than velvet because of its non-uniform rough finish.

Good luck.

-Juno

For I AM PERSUADED...Rom. 8:38-39
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page