HDTV Screen – High Quality and Very Low Cost - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1284 Old 12-19-2001, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the Flexibility of the Plas-Tex and the fact that it wont wrinkle it would be easy to make a curved screen. Just pick up a sheet of 3/8 Plywood and a Jig (Scroll) Saw to make you curved frame. Whats the benifit of a curved screen ??

Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1284 Old 12-19-2001, 06:03 AM

More immersive.

But he's going to have a problem with focus on the sides.

I still don't understand if this is a semi-rigid plastic, or a soft vinyl.

Has ne1 tested the silk finish?

Thanks you for this idea Ron Geyer! You rule.
post #93 of 1284 Old 12-19-2001, 06:58 AM

Is there an update on the possibility of getting 5 foot wide by whatever length, 8, 10 or 12 foot? I would like one 5x10 to make a nice size 16:9 screen.
post #94 of 1284 Old 12-19-2001, 03:21 PM

Hi Dean..

A couple days ago I talked to Steve Troyer at Parkland Plastics about the possibility of making wider panels. Please see my post on page 4 of this thread for all the details. The bottom line though is that Parkland is trying to decide if there is a big enough market for the wider panels to warrant the expense of making a special run.

I would encourage you to also call Steve at (800) 835-4110 or email him at parksct@bnin.net and let him know what you are looking for. If Parkland can be convinced there is enough people looking for the bigger panels, I am sure they will make them.

Thanks,
Keith
post #95 of 1284 Old 12-19-2001, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Quantum
But he's going to have a problem with focus on the sides.

I may be wrong about this but a bulb driven projector such as an LCD or DLP may have edge focus issues but with most CRT projectors this problem could be overcome with proper focus setup.
Quote:

Originally posted by Quantum
I still don't understand if this is a semi-rigid plastic, or a soft vinyl.

I consider it more of a semi-rigid plastic.

Mike
post #96 of 1284 Old 12-19-2001, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i've tested the silk parkland and it seems a little higher gain,might cause hot-spots with a crt[i can't tell, i use a boxlight 555m dlp]. seems to have a excellent picture . Thanks for the info on this great panel Ron!!!
post #97 of 1284 Old 12-21-2001, 08:14 PM

I went to HomeDepot today to look at this plastic material, and I was not impressed. It was matte white, but had low bumps covering the obverse side we are supposed to use.

So I took the advice of a poster here and looked at the Formica. I was astounded! It is perfect. Smooth, matte and white. AND YOU CAN GET IT IN 5X10 for $1.47/sqft (~$75)(special order). Can just roll it up and put it in the front seat, and it's lighter than the plastic.

This is what I'm using. No worries about chipping when trimmed, as I'll leave room for a black velour border. Gotta pre-drill nailholes though.

My only question is would white be best for an HT300? They make also a light, light gray. How dark a gray is the GrayHawk? Like an overcast day, or a stormy day?
post #98 of 1284 Old 12-22-2001, 06:30 AM

I don't see how you can say you where not impressed?? Have you seen an image projected onto the Plas-Tex?? Many people in this thread have compared it to 30 times more expensive commercial screens and have been impressed. How can you beat a projector screens with good results for under $30?? I'm setting mine up now and will post pictures and results later this evening.

Mac
post #99 of 1284 Old 12-22-2001, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by centaur
I went to HomeDepot today to look at this plastic material, and I was not impressed. It was matte white, but had low bumps covering the obverse side we are supposed to use.

I think you saw the wrong stuff. I believe I have seen the material you are talking about that had small bumps on it, and was white that home depot sells in general, and that is most likely not it. The home depot thing also isn't very flexible, while the parkland plastics I can easilly roll up. This plastic material has no bumps on it whatsoever. If it is it, then it should have the parkland plastics tag on it. You may want to go look again because I have a feeling that its not it.

post #100 of 1284 Old 12-23-2001, 02:01 AM

Now if only i can find something like this DOWN UNDER...
post #101 of 1284 Old 12-23-2001, 07:42 AM

OK, sounds like I was looking at the wrong stuff. Right, it was fairly rigid.

But can anyone say how light or dark the GrayHawk is? I'm going with Formica, due to size & colors.
post #102 of 1284 Old 12-23-2001, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about Stewart but Da-Lite sends samples out to potential customers and they do have a line of gray screens also. You might visit their web site @ www.da-lite.com I don't know if there are different levels of gray for different projectors or not. It seems like I read that in KBK paint thread. Personally am not interested in gray because I have a CRT projector, but I could see why LCD/DLP owners could be. PM me and I will make a list to track interest. If there is enough interest we could go to Parkland with an order. Also state the desired size.

Mike
post #103 of 1284 Old 12-24-2001, 12:53 PM

I just purchased the plas-tex bright white panel from Menards(wow) in Lansing, MI. The reciept is as follows:
Plas-Tex Panel Liner
$12.87
Needless to say u can't get anything in Lansing easily but after about 1/2 hour of looking i found it... OMG!
I plan on adhering this to 1/2" oak plywood for strength and insure uniformity. Then covering 1/2" ply wood with thick black fabric for masking and use removable panels for different aspect ratio's. 2.35x1,16x9, so on. Will recieve Sanyo XP21n early January. Will post construction and result. Thanks Ron for your excellent advice. And Merry Christmas to all!
post #104 of 1284 Old 12-26-2001, 04:11 AM

I just bought almost the same thing, but it wasn't made by Parkland Plastics. Was 4x8 in high white with a soft matte surface and designed for making custom shower walls. The matte side works perfect, no hot spots, very smooth, great...great picture. I had a textured wall, so getting the screen flat and square was a royal pain in the butt, but once complete I used 2" plastic baseboards that I painted flat black for a frame. I almost wish I hadn't cut it to a 16:9 ratio for those pesky anamorphic widescreen movies, but I can definately live with it. Have to hook up the bose home 12 today, going to miss that in the living room, but just can't see having my own theatre and using cheap sound. Anyway, the screen was 18.99, and with the trim, paint, and brads, the whole project came to about 45$. A great deal, thanks for all the tips in this forum. The only thing I can add is to have at least 3' level when putting this up and you will save a lot of time dinking with it. Later, and Merry X-mas all.
post #105 of 1284 Old 12-26-2001, 10:49 AM

Meathos,

You said that you bought something similar but not made by Parkland. Can you share with us details of what you bought? Where did you get it? Who is the manufacturer? Do you have the exact name, SKU#, UPC#, whatever? How much does the product weigh, and what is its demension H, W and thickness? What it's like?

Parkland's PLAS-TEX is available in retail stores only in parts of the US. It would be nice to know if there are other similar products.

Thanks.

Charles
post #106 of 1284 Old 12-26-2001, 11:57 AM

Charles,
There was no brand on it. I just called around asking if stores such as home depot, lowes, and Sutherlands, etc. had any plastic waterproof paneling for shower walls. Home Depot only had it in Almond, so I just called around until I found it in white. As far as the dimensions, it is 8 x 6 and about 1/8" inch thick. Has a smooth side like pvc pipe and a matte side exactly like a movie screen. You have to dig through usually to find a clean piece because the matte gets scuffed when they move it.

Troy
post #107 of 1284 Old 12-26-2001, 01:26 PM

I think I bought the same material with small bumps on one side at Home Depot last week. Took me a while to find a clean sheet with no scratch. I glued to a frame (made out of some exterior door frames that I had hanging around) and hang it about 2 inches from the wall using 4 small "L" shaped anchors. The problem is that it is a little transparent and has some darker spots like big oval watermarks (about 10-15 inches in diameter) that are only visible with bright colors.
I'm thinking about giving it a white paint or even KBK's rollable paint to remove both problems.
post #108 of 1284 Old 12-26-2001, 03:48 PM

Well... my order arrived today - packed in a giant tube-formation. I've got it laid out on the basement floor with corner weights to "flatten" out the roll... will post more once I get further along.

Mike
post #109 of 1284 Old 12-26-2001, 03:56 PM

Hmm.. Mine is flush on the wall and has none of the circles you are describing. Could be just a problem with another brand, or maybe not having it flush with the wall. Bummer on that though. The plastics come usually in 2 types- pebble and matte. The matte white seems much better than the pebble. Interested to know how painting it turns out though just for future reference.
post #110 of 1284 Old 12-30-2001, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are a few screen shots from my Barco Graphics 800 driven by HiPix HDTV card projected onto the Parkland Plastics Screen. I have also posted in the CRT forum.

Thanks
Mike
post #111 of 1284 Old 12-30-2001, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RBRAGA
I think I bought the same material with small bumps on one side at Home Depot last week. Took me a while to find a clean sheet with no scratch. I glued to a frame (made out of some exterior door frames that I had hanging around) and hang it about 2 inches from the wall using 4 small "L" shaped anchors. The problem is that it is a little transparent and has some darker spots like big oval watermarks (about 10-15 inches in diameter) that are only visible with bright colors.
I'm thinking about giving it a white paint or even KBK's rollable paint to remove both problems.

Its because your using the wrong material. I saw that stuff, and wasn't impressed at all with it. Trust me. Return it if you can, or just dump it, and order the parkland plastics item. It will work much better for you.

post #112 of 1284 Old 12-30-2001, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MAZMAN808
Now if only i can find something like this DOWN UNDER...

Right, same for me over here in Holland. These Yankees keep us mouthwatering with superb screenshots of their $30 screens and we can do nothing but buy one of those very expensive professional screens.................well, maybe Parklands Plastics exports to Europe and Australia too.................
post #113 of 1284 Old 12-30-2001, 07:07 PM

MikeEby:

Those photos are great. The Parkland Plastics material really does provide a uniform image. It's definitely worth pursuing. Unfortunately, I've not seen any of these panels at any of the Lowe's I've been to in Central Ohio.

-J. R.
post #114 of 1284 Old 12-30-2001, 07:08 PM

I made a 47 by 84 screen on a 2 by 3 frame with 1 1/2 inch styrofoam behind the Plas-Tex for support.

I borrowed a Plus Piano this weekend and besides a somewhat darker/deeper color picture than I like, some white areas sometimes appear overdeveloped (just pure white, no texture). I've set the screen up in front of my 53 inch Sony XBR and run both at the same time with the same picture. I can see detail in whites (as well as in shadow areas) on my Sony that is missing on the Piano.

The problem is, I don't know if it's the Plas-Tex screen or the projector.

Anybody got an opinion?
post #115 of 1284 Old 12-30-2001, 10:43 PM

how can u compare at 53" rptv with a 96" digital fptv?

CC
"The Real HT Newbee"
post #116 of 1284 Old 12-31-2001, 07:03 AM

You can't compare a 3k projector with a $4k RPTV. You need to decide weather you want a slightly better 53" Image or a huge "100 image. Granted I just made that decision when I dumped my 53" Progressive TV and picked up an LT150 for $1850. Mt 53" RPTV had a slightly better picture but the 100" image I get from the LT150 can't be beat and the picture is phenominal. A friend of mine that was just in the market for a RPTV looked for months and settled on the Hitachi Ultravsion cam over was overly impressed with the image quality.

Chris
post #117 of 1284 Old 12-31-2001, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't compare a 3k projector with a $4k RPTV.

I recently paid $211 for my front projector CRT. The picture on my Barco Data 701S is better, IMHO, than any RPTV I have seen. (For example, better than the $5,000 Pioneer Elite).

But hey, now I have the money to buy a screen...

Can I get one for $30? I'm on a budget! I need to build my $10,000 home theater for less than $1,000!

Ha Ha Ha

Just kidding....... about some things. But my 5 year old Barco did cost more than $10,000 a few years ago. And the picture is phenomenal!

Pocatello
post #118 of 1284 Old 12-31-2001, 01:19 PM

You won't get an argument from me - a 96" picture is awesome! And overall, the quality of the Piano's picture is absolutely great.

I just asked if anyone had an opinion whether or not the picture I was seeing was due to the Plas-Tex screen or the Piano projector. I have just now finished projecting on a cream colored wall and on an old grey color slide projector screen (it pays to never throw anything out!). I got a brighter picture with both, but some whites (a white shirt in bright light, for example) still look overdeveloped.

So, to answer my own question, the Plas-Tex screen is probably not the optimum screen for the Piano, and the Piano, while it otherwise gives a beautiful picture, does have it's limitations. At this point I don't know if another projector will do better.
post #119 of 1284 Old 12-31-2001, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Leif ---

You said:

Quote:

At this point I don't know if another projector will do better.

Go check out the CRT forum. I'm not going to be responsible for starting a war between CRT vs. DLP/DILA/LCD... but you can, at the moment, get a lot of bang for your dollar with a used CRT.

Pocatello
post #120 of 1284 Old 01-01-2002, 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TURBO
I bought mine at Lowes in White Marsh, MD. $13.50 a sheet.This product produces a better picture than my wavy Dalite screen.Thanks for all the info everyone.

turbo, I am in college park maryland. are you in white marsh? Could I come take a look at your setup? Please e-mail me at jyang@godigitalstudios.com as your profile doesn't have an e-mail. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeEby
Here are a few screen shots from my Barco Graphics 800 driven by HiPix HDTV card projected onto the Parkland Plastics Screen. I have also posted in the CRT forum.

How is the HiPix card? I was seriously looking at that for a tuner. Does it do directv? can it record digital and analog? Any compliments/complaints? Please e-mail me at jyang@godigitalstudios.com as your profile doesn't have an e-mail. Thanks!

Jason Yang
Digital Studios, http://www.godigitalstudios.com
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page