Walmart - KILZ Casual Color Paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have anyone used KILZ-Casual Colors paint from WalMart, to paint the screen especially blackout cloth.

I am interested in following shades:
1. KILZ Casual Colors - R0911 - Whale Tail - Base 2
This is somewhat light gray. I think this may help me to get perfect black during dark scenes. Eventhough I watch movies in night, the wall reflects light back the screen which reduces the black level.

2. KILZ Casual Colors - R0916 - Dark Sterling - Base 2
Dark Gray. Will have same benefit like above and may help more even when there were little ambient light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
If you can get your hands on the Glidden color cards from Home Depot or a Glidden store, you would be able to see near neutral gray shades.

Any of the Glidden shades that have codes like "00NN ??/000" are supposed to be neutral. The number that replaces the ?? is the shade. Here are some examples of shades that could be used as screen paint:
  • 00NN 53/000 W/B . . "Veil" (~N7.75)
  • 00NN 62/000 W/B . . "Universal Gray" (~N8.25)
  • 00NN 72/000 W/B . . "Snow Field" (~N8.5)

It is not a very scientific way to do this but at least it will help you to visually compare the neutral shades to the Kilz color shades. Of course if you have already ventured out to a Home Depot or Glidden store, why not just get one of the neutral shades mixed up in the Glidden Evermore Premium Interior Super Washable Flat and then you will know you have a fairly neutral shade of gray.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I would take your suggestion.

My BOC screen size is 54h X 89w. Eventhough, at 16:9, I will be using only 50h X 89w, I just kept the extra 4 inch in height for extra flexibility in image position.

How much paint would I need to cover my BOC screen. Does it require more than 1 coat ?
post #4 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhd View Post

Ok, I would take your suggestion.

My BOC screen size is 54h X 89w. Eventhough, at 16:9, I will be using only 50h X 89w, I just kept the extra 4 inch in height for extra flexibility in image position.

How much paint would I need to cover my BOC screen. Does it require more than 1 coat ?

I assume you mean you will go for the Glidden products at Home Depot?

I recommend two coats of paint and when necessary that is over one or two coats of primer. In your case we should try to keep the coats to a minimum so I will suggest exterior paints. A quart is enough to apply 2 coats to a 120" screen provided you bag the roller between coats. So for your screen size a quart of paint should be adequate. The exterior paints are high adheasion or actually said to be self priming so we should be able to forget about primer. Just clean the BOC really well with some windex with ammonia in it. This is only recommended when you are going to paint.

At Home Depot you have two choices of paint, Behr & Glidden.

The one I would recommend first is the Behr Premium Plus Ultra™ Exterior Flat since it is self priming, very durable, and flexible. It levels out very smooth.

Glidden also shows two exterior latex paints on their web site. Glidden Evermore™ Premium Exterior Flat and Endurance® Exterior Latex Flat I have not used either of these paints but the descriptions seem very similar to the Behr ULTRA.

As far as tint goes the Glidden paints are the easiest as they actually have neutral shades and cards as indicated in the previous post.

You have three choices for tinting the Behr ULTRA #4850. You could have them color match the Glidden color card you want. You could have them mix the the Glidden formula in the Behr paint but it will result in a lighter shade so ask for the next darker Glidden shade formula to be use. Or you can ask for one of the shades based on the Xrite neutral gray formula for Behr UPW.

Now I need to know which paint you are going to use?

Do you know if you want to go lighter gray, N9, or a darker gray near N8?

Are you comfortable asking for a custome tint or do you prefer to ask for a proprietary tint?

Have you reviewed and understand the Basic Roller Painting Instructions?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I was considering Glidden but after this reponse I wish to go for BEHR.

Regrading your question:
1. Gray color: I lean towards darker gray (like near N8). To give you an example, based on Walmart's KILZ color sample, the light gray look like the gray you see behind this text you are currently reading. Next dark colored gray (which I prefer) is somewhat like this forum button (but very little lighter) - see background of box with heading "Thread Tools".

2. Tint: Being an amateur in painting, I would prefer proprietary tint but if the custom one give better result then I would go for that (ofcourse with proper knowledge). Reason I go for little darker gray is I can watch during daytime.

I am reading the link you have posted.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Based on my own experience with it, I think the best choice is the following tint in the Behr Exterior Ultra #4850.

===============
Quart Custom Tint
Behr Ext. ULTRA UPW #4850
0 8 0 Lamp Black
0 1 1 Brown Oxide
0 0 1 Medium Yellow
===============

What projector do you have?
post #7 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

HD70 projector.

If I take your custom tint information to homedepot, would they be able do the paint mix for me without further questions. I am just trying to avoid paint technical details as I may give a wrong detail.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-20-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhd View Post

HD70 projector.

If I take your custom tint information to homedepot, would they be able do the paint mix for me without further questions. I am just trying to avoid paint technical details as I may give a wrong detail.

That is correct. The can size, brand, base paint number, and tint formula are all there. Even if you changed your mind and decide to go with a gallon they can adjust the tint formula for a gallon.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-20-2007, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

thanks tiddler

This is a darker gray shade, right.

Could you post a picture of the gray shade or give me an example of how would this look.

thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it will be just a bit lighter than an N8, maybe like this:

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page