How you see the future of BD-Audio? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 100 Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jvillain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Couldn't agree more Russ.
jvillain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 100 Old 07-29-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Younger View Post

I think that most people don't sit down to listen to music anymore. This is just a way of the modern era. For example I just got back into vinyl after 25 years of CD and I was amazed in how my own listening habbits have changed from the 80's. Now when I listen to my records it is like a concert simulation rather than simply listening to tunes. It's a funny thing when I have friends over and they see me just simply listening to my records instead of doing somthing else, you know like the only thing music is good for is background noise. Strange times we live in.

Yes. I still listen to music "actively" as apposed to having it in the back ground and half listening. I have one floor of my house dedicated to music. Unfortunately, I don't have as much free time as I used to, but I still do it when I can. We are a dieing breed.
J
Big J is offline  
post #63 of 100 Old 05-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Newbie
 
toronado455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to bump an old thread but couldn't find where else to ask my question.

Would it be possible to put CD-quality audio on a BD-R disc? And if so, how many minutes of standard stereo 2-channel uncompressed CD-quality audio would fit onto a single-layer BD-R disc?
toronado455 is offline  
post #64 of 100 Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado455 View Post

Sorry to bump an old thread but couldn't find where else to ask my question.

Would it be possible to put CD-quality audio on a BD-R disc? And if so, how many minutes of standard stereo 2-channel uncompressed CD-quality audio would fit onto a single-layer BD-R disc?

I think Audio CD hols roughly 640MB and single layer BD 25GB so maybe like 45 or so full Audio CD and since 640MB at 1411KB/s or 640 *3/2 or 900ishx1000 /60 ish or 1.5ish hours or 90ish minutes but a bit less since we mult too much by about 10% so call it 80 minutes and then 45 of that is 3600minutes or 60 hours

and if you losslessly compress i think you can about double that
skibum5000 is offline  
post #65 of 100 Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
khronikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I really feel Bluray is the future of the music industry and I sure hope it catches like fire. 50GB may not be enough for film at times but it certainly is enough for the best music can offer.
khronikos is offline  
post #66 of 100 Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

I really feel Bluray is the future of the music industry and I sure hope it catches like fire. 50GB may not be enough for film at times but it certainly is enough for the best music can offer.

and yet they seem to be aiming for 24kbps AAAAC compressed files I fear
skibum5000 is offline  
post #67 of 100 Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Newbie
 
toronado455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd be curious to hear from anyone currently using consumer Blu-ray burning software who could weigh in on this.

I don't know whether the Blu-ray software even gives the option of burning an "audio disc". And if it does, then does it allow you to specify whether to use a particular Blu-ray spec such as the Blu-ray profile 3.0, or to just simply burn WAV files, etc.

I suppose, ideally, it would be nice to take advantage of the video capability of Blu-ray media to also include an on-screen menu for navigating the disc. And that would take up some of the space on the media. But if it's possible to burn 44.1/16 or 48/16 WAV files to a Blu-ray recordable, I can imagine having complete collections of a single composer on one (or a few, depending on the composer) disc.

Having used CD burning software, but not Blu-ray burning software, I'm really pretty clueless about all this.
toronado455 is offline  
post #68 of 100 Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado455 View Post

I'd be curious to hear from anyone currently using consumer Blu-ray burning software who could weigh in on this.

I don't know whether the Blu-ray software even gives the option of burning an "audio disc". And if it does, then does it allow you to specify whether to use a particular Blu-ray spec such as the Blu-ray profile 3.0, or to just simply burn WAV files, etc.

I suppose, ideally, it would be nice to take advantage of the video capability of Blu-ray media to also include an on-screen menu for navigating the disc. And that would take up some of the space on the media. But if it's possible to burn 44.1/16 or 48/16 WAV files to a Blu-ray recordable, I can imagine having complete collections of a single composer on one (or a few, depending on the composer) disc.

Having used CD burning software, but not Blu-ray burning software, I'm really pretty clueless about all this.

Well I think you'd just burn it as a data disc to free up space from your hard drive or something. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a CD format audio player than can read it off a blu-disc, never head of such a thing.

I just keep it all on my HD and play it off that it also means avoiding misreads and transport errors.

I guess there might be some blue audio players but you'd have to burn in that format. I've never tried. Not sure what programs support that.
skibum5000 is offline  
post #69 of 100 Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Newbie
 
toronado455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

Well I think you'd just burn it as a data disc to free up space from your hard drive or something.

Yes, or as a back up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a CD format audio player than can read it off a blu-disc, never head of such a thing.

No, I mean using a Blu-ray drive to read the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

I just keep it all on my HD and play it off that it also means avoiding misreads and transport errors.

Yes, I also do this. This is generally more convenient than having to load optical media into a drive to hear something.
toronado455 is offline  
post #70 of 100 Old 09-06-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
navychop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
SO- Is BD audio dead?

Reunite Pangea!
navychop is offline  
post #71 of 100 Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 15,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post

SO- Is BD audio dead?

Not according to 2L.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #72 of 100 Old 09-07-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
navychop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
26 titles is better than none, I guess. Thanks.

Reunite Pangea!
navychop is offline  
post #73 of 100 Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bobpaule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: US
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Amazon.fr has quite a few titles, after all the London launch of Universal's High Fidelity Pure Audio was
quietly introduced to the French beta-testers:

http://news.zurichna.com/article/2ed45ee8d63acd7023b10b7ef8d17d5f/the-high-fidelity-pure-audio-disc-the-stillborn-format
bobpaule is offline  
post #74 of 100 Old 09-09-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post

SO- Is BD audio dead?

Companies are experimenting with it right now. Graphic Audio, a company which makes audio dramas of comics and original works, is going to be releasing a Blu-Ray of their new Spider-Man audio drama and it will have DTS-HD surround.
LexInVA is offline  
post #75 of 100 Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
navychop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I want the music of the 60s, 70s and big band, classical, etc - to be released in as high a quality as possible! Can it be even done? Classical, and to some extent, Big Band, can be performed and released. How well was the other stuff recorded? Heck, the Beatles were mono!

Think of Wagner in 7.1 or better, off a BD audio!

Reunite Pangea!
navychop is offline  
post #76 of 100 Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SoundChex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA, west coast
Posts: 2,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post

I want the music of the 60s, 70s and big band, classical, etc - to be released in as high a quality as possible! Can it be even done? Classical, and to some extent, Big Band, can be performed and released. How well was the other stuff recorded? Heck, the Beatles were mono! Think of Wagner in 7.1 or better, off a BD audio!

Actually, it looks like that 'future' might already be here...?! cool.gif

A strategy developed by pureaudio (link) permits easy switching between several synched versions of the same recording on an audio-only Blu-ray disc . . . the RED GREEN BLUE and YELLOW buttons on the BD remote are used for selection in pureaudio's proprietary user interface software technology.

Some examples of what has been done with the pureaudio technology: SOUVENIR by TrondheimSolistene on the 2L label (link) and Portrait by Joseph Haydn on the MDG label (link) each offer significantly different (playback) versions of the same recordings (including with|without height speakers) . . . as the respective BD back covers show:

SOUVENIR by TrondheimSolistene...



Portrait by Joseph Haydn...

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90

The L2 website indicates additional Auro 9.1 discs are in progress, and MDG appears to continue exploring Aurophonic 6.0 2+2+2 (aka 2-2-2) and Aurophonic 8.0 2222+ (aka 2222plus) configurations. Unfortunately the first Auro 9.1|10.1 home theater decoders are still rumored to appear only in late 2013|early 2014...?!

No extra points for confusing the names of the non-profit Pure Audio Group (link) and Universal Music's High Fidelity Pure Audio Group! eek.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

SoundChex is online now  
post #77 of 100 Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SoundChex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA, west coast
Posts: 2,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Amazon.fr has quite a few titles, after all the London launch of Universal's High Fidelity Pure Audio was quietly introduced to the French beta-testers: http://news.zurichna.com/article/2ed45ee8d63acd7023b10b7ef8d17d5f/the-high-fidelity-pure-audio-disc-the-stillborn-format

Listing of the approx 100 HFPA BD releases Universal Music Canada has scheduled for September 24, 2013 (link) . . . which also happens to be the Tuesday immediately preceding the start of CEDIA 2013 in Denver on September 25! biggrin.gif
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

SoundChex is online now  
post #78 of 100 Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
DenonLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am now following this thread. Exciting stuff.
DenonLover is offline  
post #79 of 100 Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
jontyrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post

I want the music of the 60s, 70s and big band, classical, etc - to be released in as high a quality as possible! Can it be even done? Classical, and to some extent, Big Band, can be performed and released. How well was the other stuff recorded? Heck, the Beatles were mono!

Think of Wagner in 7.1 or better, off a BD audio!

Umm, no more than one or two of the very early Beatles recordings were mono. Weren't they really the pioneers of modern multi-multi-track stereo recording? Pretty much why they stopped touring and playing live I think. 'Course, i'm a Stones fan, so I may be wildly off base!
jontyrees is offline  
post #80 of 100 Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
acebreathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: No Plfd NJ
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

Umm, no more than one or two of the very early Beatles recordings were mono. Weren't they really the pioneers of modern multi-multi-track stereo recording? Pretty much why they stopped touring and playing live I think. 'Course, i'm a Stones fan, so I may be wildly off base!
Actually they didn't record in stereo until Abbey Road. Everything before was mono and The Beatles liked that sound better. Engineers were in charge of converting the mono to stereo as soon as the band and George Martin were done with mixing. Supposedly The Beatles very rarely listened to the stereo versions once they were made.
acebreathe is offline  
post #81 of 100 Old 10-10-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Actually they didn't record in stereo until Abbey Road. Everything before was mono and The Beatles liked that sound better. Engineers were in charge of converting the mono to stereo as soon as the band and George Martin were done with mixing. Supposedly The Beatles very rarely listened to the stereo versions once they were made.

Are you sure? I thought Revolver on (or maybe back to Help) were multitrack recordings with Abbey Road the (or their) first 8 track recording. Also how do you explain the DVD-A Love?

EDIT: Wikipedia
Quote:
...Many of the most famous recordings by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were recorded on 4-track, and the engineers at London's Abbey Road Studios became particularly adept at the technique called "reduction mixes" in the UK and "bouncing down" in the United States, in which multiple tracks were recorded onto one 4-track machine and then mixed together and transferred (bounced down) to one track of a second 4-track machine. In this way, it was possible to record literally dozens of separate tracks and combine them into finished recordings of great complexity....
William is offline  
post #82 of 100 Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
acebreathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: No Plfd NJ
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Are you sure? I thought Revolver on (or maybe back to Help) were multitrack recordings with Abbey Road the (or their) first 8 track recording. Also how do you explain the DVD-A Love?

EDIT: Wikipedia
I'm not 100% sure of anything and I can't explain the DVD-A Love, but it does piss me off that there are no individual cd's like Rubber Soul etc. just this mishmash of songs. Don't get me wrong I like it just wish that since they went thru all the trouble maybe they could have done some albums in their entirety. Apologies to jontyrees he is mostly right. From what I read the first four records were mono everything else stereo that were mixed to mono and it was the mono mixes that the Beatles worked on with George Martin. Martin then oversaw the stereo mixes supposedly without The Beatles involvement. They, including Martin, thought the mono sound was closer to what they heard while recording in the studio. Abbey Road was the first album that was not mixed to mono and was allegedly the first time The Beatles worked from a stereo mix. The touring part I don't know about. I'd always heard it was Lennon who hated being on the road and could never understand why bands, especially The Stones, loved it so much. Now if someone could master the catalogue for Blu ray for mono and stereo I think the future of blu ray audio would look a lot better.
acebreathe is offline  
post #83 of 100 Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
acebreathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: No Plfd NJ
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
One last thing. I know Love was designed as the soundtrack for a Cirque de Soleil show which is why all the songs run into each other. It only came to be a DVD-A later when the potential for surround sound was there.
acebreathe is offline  
post #84 of 100 Old 10-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Senior Member
 
bradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

I'm not 100% sure of anything and I can't explain the DVD-A Love, but it does piss me off that there are no individual cd's like Rubber Soul etc. just this mishmash of songs. Don't get me wrong I like it just wish that since they went thru all the trouble maybe they could have done some albums in their entirety. Apologies to jontyrees he is mostly right. From what I read the first four records were mono everything else stereo that were mixed to mono and it was the mono mixes that the Beatles worked on with George Martin. Martin then oversaw the stereo mixes supposedly without The Beatles involvement. They, including Martin, thought the mono sound was closer to what they heard while recording in the studio. Abbey Road was the first album that was not mixed to mono and was allegedly the first time The Beatles worked from a stereo mix. The touring part I don't know about. I'd always heard it was Lennon who hated being on the road and could never understand why bands, especially The Stones, loved it so much. Now if someone could master the catalogue for Blu ray for mono and stereo I think the future of blu ray audio would look a lot better.

Let it Be(Get Back), and Yellow Submarine also have no mono versions, as well as a few singles from this time, like Ballad of John and Yoko.
bradman is offline  
post #85 of 100 Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
jontyrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Apologies to jontyrees he is mostly right.

No apologies required here! Like I said, I'm no Beatles expert. My older teenager just started listening to a lot of Beatles, which I never did, despite growing up in London in the 60's and 70's. I'll have to catch up! I also just found out that due to lightning damage, I'm not going to be able to listen to any BD-A or any other BD audio through my receiver. Of course, Black Friday is approaching......
jontyrees is offline  
post #86 of 100 Old 10-26-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Actually they didn't record in stereo until Abbey Road. Everything before was mono and The Beatles liked that sound better. Engineers were in charge of converting the mono to stereo as soon as the band and George Martin were done with mixing. Supposedly The Beatles very rarely listened to the stereo versions once they were made.
Mostly true. Abbey road was recorded on a 16-track deck. The White Album on 8-track and everything prior to that on 3 or 4 track decks.
Actually I've read that the group was excited to hear the stereo version of The White Album and requested stereo versions of the vinyl.
I prefer the mono version of The White Album but that's just me.

Re: Love.
It is frustrating to hear the mash-ups because you want hear the entire song as it sounds so damn good.
Tomorrow Never Knows just cranks and then......mad.gif

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is online now  
post #87 of 100 Old 10-26-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Has anybody purchased any of the Pure Audio Blu-ray audio disc's from Universal?

If so, what do you think?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #88 of 100 Old 10-26-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 15,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Has anybody purchased any of the Pure Audio Blu-ray audio disc's from Universal?

If so, what do you think?

All of those are just re-encodes of the old SACD masters.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #89 of 100 Old 10-26-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

All of those are just re-encodes of the old SACD masters.

Really? I never knew there were SACD releases of Breakfast In America, Back To Black and GRRR!. I don't know about some of the other titles. But I think you are incorrect in that "all" of the HFPA releases are from old SACD masters. As far as I know there are no accurate mastering credits for many of the HFPA releases.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #90 of 100 Old 10-27-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Really? I never knew there were SACD releases of Breakfast In America, Back To Black and GRRR!. I don't know about some of the other titles. But I think you are incorrect in that "all" of the HFPA releases are from old SACD masters. As far as I know there are no accurate mastering credits for many of the HFPA releases.

Bill
I actually have the three discs you mention along with Stevie Wonder's Songs In the Key Of Life (and Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left on back order).

I have to say, I'm bemused as to why there is no standardised disc authoring method for this new High Fidelity Pure Audio disc format. For example....

Breakfast In America and Songs In The Key Of Life, have one continuous data stream on the disc. Like this: -






While Grrr! and Back To Black, have their tracks separated into individual data streams on the disc. Like this: -






Also, Back To Black offers a 'named' track list, while the other disc's offer only a 'number' track list.

Why is there no consistency here?!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off