post #61 of 81 Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

That just reminded me of something which I had forgotten. Sony worried about CDs being copied? Nah... smile.gif http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

larry

And I'll wager that most DSD file downloads contain unique flags or tags, like a serial number, that can be tracked back to the original purchaser or seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 10-04-2013, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Can a program like foobar2000 play these back on my computer? I would try one if the quality is really that much better than a good CD or 24/192 download.
post #63 of 81 Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

Can a program like foobar2000 play these back on my computer? .
Yes, you just need the appropriate plugin
post #64 of 81 Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I tried to play DSD ISO in foobar with ASIO Driver mode set to native DSD not PCM in SACD plugin, with my onboard Realtek ALC889 with ASIO4ALL 2.10 via HDMI connected to AVR Onkyo 905 (DSD capable) but not work, no sound, only work with PCM mode.

How to do this to work

Sony 46HX850 | Sony 46Z4500 | Onkyo 905, Monitor Audio RX8 + RX LCR | Logitech Z-680 | HTPC: (Core i5 4570S, Asus H87M-PRO, 4GB, Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, WD20EARS, Pionner BDC-202, Antec Fusion Remote Black)
post #65 of 81 Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPL View Post

I tried to play DSD ISO in foobar with ASIO Driver mode set to native DSD not PCM in SACD plugin, with my onboard Realtek ALC889 with ASIO4ALL 2.10 via HDMI connected to AVR Onkyo 905 (DSD capable) but not work, no sound, only work with PCM mode.

How to do this to work

Its extremely unlikely that your video card supports the output of DSD streams.
post #66 of 81 Old 10-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

And I'll wager that most DSD file downloads contain unique flags or tags, like a serial number, that can be tracked back to the original purchaser or seller.

This is hearsay.

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #67 of 81 Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o View Post

This is hearsay.

I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility.
post #68 of 81 Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

This is hearsay.

No it is not, he didn't hear it from someone else. It is just a (bad) bet based on pure, uninformed speculation, and I am happy to take it on.

I have downloaded dsd files I paid for (Mahler Symphonies), and have placed them in a dsd editor, in which I can read metadata and also freely convert the files to any PCM or lossy format. This doesn't prove there is no secret embedded code, but as I said, I am willing to bet there is no unique file identifier. In fact, a friend downloaded the same files from the same source, and her files are bit-identical to mine (still not conclusive). But at least these are facts.
post #69 of 81 Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

This is hearsay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

No it is not, he didn't hear it from someone else. It is just a (bad) bet based on pure, uninformed speculation, and I am happy to take it on.

AFAIK, it has not happened yet but I believe it is coming.  ;)

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #70 of 81 Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Isn't Sony starting their own DSD download site or partnering with HDTracks?
If they are, they would be a prime candidate for this type of crap.

I thought they were going to partner with Acoustic Sounds but I read somewhere that the Sony Dylan downloads that were up last week are now gone.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #71 of 81 Old 11-27-2013, 05:22 PM

Liked: 11
I have been stalking this thread for a long time and feel it is a good time for me to chime in. I have been recording with PCM since 16/44.1 was the state of the industry (it was never state of the ART). Many of the very assertive comments herein about PCM are amusing to me. It reminds me of my earlier days arguing about "the math" with regard to summing busses. Math is math, right? Wrong. Trust your ears.

In addition to my recording session experience I have a good vinyl rig in my control room and have come to the obvious realization that vinyl sounds FAR better than anything short of large tape formats (if you disagree, stop listening to Spotify and MP3s... Your ears are not in good shape). I have wondered for years why recent masterings have left me in the cold, feeling brittle and lifeless, and now it has become increasingly apparent that it is because PCM digital is not *all that*. I am amazed at the comments herein that try to make these sweeping realizations - because of the MATH - that PCM is superior. It reinforces my opinion that few people are even listening anymore.

Between my recording sessions and my desire to archive vinyl I set a course to find the best solution. After numerous attempts at recording vinyl at 24/192 and hearing clear deficiencies I decided to open the options up to DSD again, which I was favoring when SACD launched (though titles never materialized and we were left to believe, again, that we have embraced another superior but poorly accepted format (remember Betamax? ... Probably not, Hipsters). The reality of PCM, for me, was a lost of soundstage and the *air* disappeared (listen to vocals or toms) using even the best options. In full disclosure I do not have a $100,000 atomic clock - but I do use an array of good ADs and balanced power -60/60Hz - which is great at reducing the jitters.

So, I purchased a Tascam DA -3000, which records in DSD, including 2X DSD (5.8MHz). The results are obvious to anyone with trained ears. All math aside (and I am a scientist that embraces math), DSD clearly sounds better than PCM. It is nearly impossible to be able to distinguish between the vinyl source and the DSD recording. I don't know what the motives are for the folks that poo-poo DSD (maybe they just aren't listening?), however to my ears it is night and day different. Blindfolded, whatever, you can easily hear the difference. PCM does not represent analog well. If fact, I use the analogy (which I don't believe I have seen others publish) that DSD *rides the wave* in the same way that vector graphics does, as opposed to pixilated approximations. Illustrator vs. Photoshop. What "looks" smoother? My ears have been trained to the point that I can hear a digital remaster's flaws on vinyl without notice.

If you listen to new recordings - with the exception of good analog-only pathways such as what Dave Grohl (among a handful of others) has followed, they suck. I have many, many original pressings on vinyl as well as their *super amazo- digital remaster* counterparts and without exception the remasters suck compared to the original pressings. It makes me wonder aloud who these *experts* are that try to drive a sword into DSD in favor of PCM. Are you even listening, people? You will NEVER master my work, I promise you. All I can think is that these folks are so lazy they can't give up their digital editing abilities and auto-tune crutches. Virtually ever (Pop and Rock) recording produced in the past twenty five years sounds like crap as compared to analog recordings from the seventies. The advent of digital (mid-eighties) was even worse, but everyone pretty much acknowledges that.

Bottom line- trust your ears. Listen. If you have a decent monitoring system the results are obvious. Don't worry about *the math*.
meriade likes this.
post #72 of 81 Old 12-03-2013, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFForest View Post

I have wondered for years why recent masterings have left me in the cold, feeling brittle and lifeless.

Something to consider. When you speak of mastering coming across as cold and lifeless, is that the fault of a format, or of the mastering job itself?

The CD format has been the victim of increasingly terrible mastering decisions by record companies and artists themselves (the overuse of compression being the worst culprit) for longer than 10 years.
post #73 of 81 Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFForest View Post

I have been stalking this thread for a long time and feel it is a good time for me to chime in. I have been recording with PCM since 16/44.1 was the state of the industry (it was never state of the ART). Many of the very assertive comments herein about PCM are amusing to me. It reminds me of my earlier days arguing about "the math" with regard to summing busses. Math is math, right? Wrong. Trust your ears.

In addition to my recording session experience I have a good vinyl rig in my control room and have come to the obvious realization that vinyl sounds FAR better than anything short of large tape formats (if you disagree, stop listening to Spotify and MP3s... Your ears are not in good shape). I have wondered for years why recent masterings have left me in the cold, feeling brittle and lifeless, and now it has become increasingly apparent that it is because PCM digital is not *all that*. I am amazed at the comments herein that try to make these sweeping realizations - because of the MATH - that PCM is superior. It reinforces my opinion that few people are even listening anymore.

Between my recording sessions and my desire to archive vinyl I set a course to find the best solution. After numerous attempts at recording vinyl at 24/192 and hearing clear deficiencies I decided to open the options up to DSD again, which I was favoring when SACD launched (though titles never materialized and we were left to believe, again, that we have embraced another superior but poorly accepted format (remember Betamax? ... Probably not, Hipsters). The reality of PCM, for me, was a lost of soundstage and the *air* disappeared (listen to vocals or toms) using even the best options. In full disclosure I do not have a $100,000 atomic clock - but I do use an array of good ADs and balanced power -60/60Hz - which is great at reducing the jitters.

So, I purchased a Tascam DA -3000, which records in DSD, including 2X DSD (5.8MHz). The results are obvious to anyone with trained ears. All math aside (and I am a scientist that embraces math), DSD clearly sounds better than PCM. It is nearly impossible to be able to distinguish between the vinyl source and the DSD recording. I don't know what the motives are for the folks that poo-poo DSD (maybe they just aren't listening?), however to my ears it is night and day different. Blindfolded, whatever, you can easily hear the difference. PCM does not represent analog well. If fact, I use the analogy (which I don't believe I have seen others publish) that DSD *rides the wave* in the same way that vector graphics does, as opposed to pixilated approximations. Illustrator vs. Photoshop. What "looks" smoother? My ears have been trained to the point that I can hear a digital remaster's flaws on vinyl without notice.

If you listen to new recordings - with the exception of good analog-only pathways such as what Dave Grohl (among a handful of others) has followed, they suck. I have many, many original pressings on vinyl as well as their *super amazo- digital remaster* counterparts and without exception the remasters suck compared to the original pressings. It makes me wonder aloud who these *experts* are that try to drive a sword into DSD in favor of PCM. Are you even listening, people? You will NEVER master my work, I promise you. All I can think is that these folks are so lazy they can't give up their digital editing abilities and auto-tune crutches. Virtually ever (Pop and Rock) recording produced in the past twenty five years sounds like crap as compared to analog recordings from the seventies. The advent of digital (mid-eighties) was even worse, but everyone pretty much acknowledges that.

Bottom line- trust your ears. Listen. If you have a decent monitoring system the results are obvious. Don't worry about *the math*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Something to consider. When you speak of mastering coming across as cold and lifeless, is that the fault of a format, or of the mastering job itself?

The CD format has been the victim of increasingly terrible mastering decisions by record companies and artists themselves (the overuse of compression being the worst culprit) for longer than 10 years.

Good comments! Thank you both for weighing in.

Mastering is an art and certainly should be the starting point for decision point (Great, Bad and everything in between) on the quality of recorded music that is retail ready. After that, the circle of confusion (see AES President Sean Olive's paper on this) kicks in and we are evaluating music on system that are so far removed from the creation process that it leaves room for too many variables for validated and repeatable results.

I wish I was a power player in this decision point of including DSD in all future recordings. For now I have to spend on what I like, which means buying DSD recordings and hope others are doing the same.

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #74 of 81 Old 01-07-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Isn't Sony starting their own DSD download site or partnering with HDTracks?
If they are, they would be a prime candidate for this type of crap.

I thought they were going to partner with Acoustic Sounds but I read somewhere that the Sony Dylan downloads that were up last week are now gone.

Reviving this thread as DSD is a smart thing to do to increase the quality of the music, CES has some stuff in regards to this! Just as long as they don't charge an arm and a leg for it. Teac/Schitt/Sony and other players and Dacs are coming out.

http://discover.store.sony.com/High-Resolution-Audio/?XID=O:45562_104903462_corp_display&csdids=104903462_278081691_56613427_4133791
post #75 of 81 Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Where are all the DSD downloads? This past fall DSD was geting Sony's support and was going to be the next big thing. It seemed at the time that there were a lot of DAC'S coming on the market that touted DSD. And now? Sony had a lot of hardware promised that has yet to see the light of day retail wise. In last months issue of the absolute sound's computer audio issue there was a whole section devoted to DSD and the author wrote that by the time we were reading the article DSD downloads would be available on HD Tracks. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place I haven't seen any yet. The only site with a decent amount of downloads available remains Super Hi Rez. So what happened and why the big delay?
post #76 of 81 Old 01-08-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hopefully, now that Sony have released their £2000.00 HAP-Z1ES 'music server' (which offers a DSD remastering engine that's capable of converting/transcoding all supported music files to DSD 'on-the-fly'). We might start seeing (hearing) something soon wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #77 of 81 Old 01-08-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Hopefully, now that Sony have released their £2000.00 HAP-Z1ES 'music server' (which offers a DSD remastering engine that's capable of converting/transcoding all supported music files to DSD 'on-the-fly'). We might start seeing (hearing) something soon wink.gif

One unit is already available on Amazon and Teac has one as well. I just hope Sony stands behind this format as well as they did with Blu-Ray.. What I don't like is they keep a track of what you buy, and the lazy (|) then market to you on a daily basis like "Google" where they put the things up in your browser of specific sites you just visited and things you were looking to buy, I wish I could turn off that feature! lol
HDtracks is confusing the hell out of people and need to have a separate section for DSD and label it as such! wink.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HAPS1-Hi-Res-Player-System/dp/B00FFZCZE4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

http://schiit.com/products/loki

http://www.amazon.com/Teac-Monaural-Converter-Streaming-UD-501-B/dp/B00BC1ULTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389222626&sr=1-1&keywords=Teac+DSD

http://www.hdtracks.com/the-rolling-stones-now-132417

http://www.findhdmusic.com/high-definition/alerts/
post #78 of 81 Old 01-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

One unit is already available on Amazon and Teac has one as well. I just hope Sony stands behind this format as well as they did with Blu-Ray.. What I don't like is they keep a track of what you buy, and the lazy (|) then market to you on a daily basis like "Google" where they put the things up in your browser of specific sites you just visited and things you were looking to buy, I wish I could turn off that feature! lol
HDtracks is confusing the hell out of people and need to have a separate section for DSD and label it as such! wink.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HAPS1-Hi-Res-Player-System/dp/B00FFZCZE4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

http://schiit.com/products/loki

http://www.amazon.com/Teac-Monaural-Converter-Streaming-UD-501-B/dp/B00BC1ULTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389222626&sr=1-1&keywords=Teac+DSD

http://www.hdtracks.com/the-rolling-stones-now-132417

http://www.findhdmusic.com/high-definition/alerts/
The Rolling Stones link lists the tracks in AIFF format. The Teac unit looks nice and that has been out for awhile now and the Loki has gotten decent reviews on the Hoffman forum from the few people that bought it. I have one of the Oppo blu ray units that does DSD and it works quite well for the few tracks that I found for free as well as three albums that I downloaded from Super Hi Rez. But the key is Sony and I hope they amp up the available downloads.
post #79 of 81 Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

The Rolling Stones link lists the tracks in AIFF format. The Teac unit looks nice and that has been out for awhile now and the Loki has gotten decent reviews on the Hoffman forum from the few people that bought it. I have one of the Oppo blu ray units that does DSD and it works quite well for the few tracks that I found for free as well as three albums that I downloaded from Super Hi Rez. But the key is Sony and I hope they amp up the available downloads.

I hear you, kind of waiting myself, I would love to upscale all my iTunes music via my computer but most of the listening is done in my Home Theater room, so I will start there. I think DSD is where it will be and I hope we see more units under the $500 price range. Since most people want quantity and not quality I think we might start seeing prices drop and hopefully a lot more DSD downloads available. I have a Oppo unit as well, just not sure if it will do DSD as I have the BDP-93, looking at upgrading to the 103D soon.
post #80 of 81 Old 07-18-2014, 12:07 AM

Liked: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to HFX-Maik
DFF to DSF Converter

Who has no Korg to run the Audiogate software, can download here a free DFF to DSF Converter (Windows):

http://www.hfx.at/store/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=54

Its free, has no limitation and converts DSD64 and DSD128 files.
;-)

Best regards, Maik
post #81 of 81 Old 07-18-2014, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hi Maik,

Thanks very much for creating this application.

Now that you've made it possible to re-pack .dff files to .dsf it's really easy to add meta-data information to them using MP3tag...

Cheers and thanks again

EDIT: My Oppo player loves them... Great

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-19-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page