DVD-A in your car - now on all Chryslers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 04-27-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Borrowing my mother-in-law's Jeep, I was playing with her MyGig in-dash DVD, Sirius, mp3, navigation, etc device. It uses a DVD-ROM drive and a hard drive to do all of its magic. I played with it during a road trip and found that it plays DVD-Audio! Pretty cool! Geeked, I grabbed a few titles for the road. Music plays right away without having to grab a remote or navigate any on-screen menus and the display clearly says "DVD-A" rather than a Dolby Digital version from the DVD-V layer. This was also confirmed by the manual.

Channel separation seemed weak and I'm wondering if her setup has a 5.1 system in it. But it was certainly fun to play with and may sway me in my next vehicle purchase.

Oh, this "MyGig" system is offered on nearly all 2008 Chryslers (which includes Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 04-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll have to give it a shot at work tomorrow....figures we'd not advertise it

I work at the Auburn Hills tech center.
post #3 of 63 Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

now, if you could only find a DVD-A just as easily...

Boo!
post #4 of 63 Old 04-28-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I used to work at the GM Tech Center in Warren. Small world!

The company that makes this is Harman/Becker out of Germany with a location in Farmington Hills. Apparently, they are very responsive to user input. You can find a few sites on MyGig with tips on updating the software, hacking, etc. I've already updated the software and look to buying a hardware hack if I end up buying a new vehicle. The hardware hack lets you use all the menus while the car is in Drive (just like any Garmin will do).

So far, the only disk that failed was the SACD of Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic. No, it doesn't play SACD, but the manual claims it'll play the CD layer. That was with an old firmware, didn't try the newer one.

I swear this is the only thing getting me excited about buying a minivan this Fall! Well, that and being able to take some family trips.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... just think of how this might help multi-channel audio if someone realizes that 100,000+ new vehicles a year will be able to play DVD-A.
post #5 of 63 Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

now, if you could only find a DVD-A just as easily...

The car probably comes with one.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6 of 63 Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

The car probably comes with one.

An expensive way to amass a collection.
post #7 of 63 Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yea Chrysler. Funny, now, after many say this format is dead, more and more cars will play them. Of course Acura was the first, and just last week the new 09 Acura TSX Tech added DVD-A. Now all Acuras have it.
I've been researching this, looks like some Lexus play DVD-A, the Infiniti M, some Cadillacs. Some other models from these makes play 'surround' but it looks like it may be only DTS CDs or DTS tracks fron DVD-A and DVD-Video, which are not true hi-rez audio, but can have good surround audio.

maybe more DVD-A releases will come out if people buy these cars! but so many are happy and in love with mp3s.

hmm- just went to Chrysler site, I didn't see DVD-Audio listed. Many cars now play DVDs and will play audio from DVDs, but it's not the DVD-Audio format per se. maybe they don't advertise it, oh well, just as bad as not having it IMO.
post #8 of 63 Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post

Yea Chrysler. Funny, now, after many say this format is dead, more and more cars will play them. Of course Acura was the first, and just last week the new 09 Acura TSX Tech added DVD-A. Now all Acuras have it.
I've been researching this, looks like some Lexus play DVD-A, the Infiniti M, some Cadillacs. Some other models from these makes play 'surround' but it looks like it may be only DTS CDs or DTS tracks fron DVD-A and DVD-Video, which are not true hi-rez audio, but can have good surround audio.

maybe more DVD-A releases will come out if people buy these cars! but so many are happy and in love with mp3s.

hmm- just went to Chrysler site, I didn't see DVD-Audio listed. Many cars now play DVDs and will play audio from DVDs, but it's not the DVD-Audio format per se. maybe they don't advertise it, oh well, just as bad as not having it IMO.

I don't know if it is that we are in love with mp3's or in love with the ability to have our entire music collection in the car right? My car is so loud that it doesn't matter, mp3, cd or sacd it is all going to be buried under the exhaust note.
post #9 of 63 Old 04-29-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy View Post

I don't know if it is that we are in love with mp3's or in love with the ability to have our entire music collection in the car right? My car is so loud that it doesn't matter, mp3, cd or sacd it is all going to be buried under the exhaust note.

Of course. SNR is terrible in cars and that means that dynamic range is limited. Feh.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #10 of 63 Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that's an advantage for hi-rez audio in a car, and in higher-end cars acoustics are improved. Sure not as good as at home but much better than over compressed 2 channel. even the analog radio sounds bad to me, so compressed, and much of it speed accelerated, yuckk.
post #11 of 63 Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I think that's an advantage for hi-rez audio in a car, and in higher-end cars acoustics are improved. Sure not as good as at home but much better than over compressed 2 channel. even the analog radio sounds bad to me, so compressed, and much of it speed accelerated, yuckk.

Speed Accelerated? Like, the radio stations are speeding up the music itself? Wow, any articles about this?
post #12 of 63 Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy View Post

Speed Accelerated? Like, the radio stations are speeding up the music itself? Wow, any articles about this?

They always have.
post #13 of 63 Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenteoSurround View Post

They always have.

Crazy, I guess I don't listen to enough radio...
post #14 of 63 Old 04-30-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't listen to radio much either, but some stations do it worse than others. nothing new, and hey, TV does it too, like Lucy reruns etc, saves some precious time for more commercials.
post #15 of 63 Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

If there are any doubters, I can scan the owner's manual that has the DVD-Audio logo in it or a screen cap of the system playing DVD-Audio!

If anyone from Chrysler is reading this, I just purchased a 2008 Town & Country partly because of it offering the MyGig. Yes, I wish it had a 40 or 80gb hard drive, but the playback of DVD-A plus frequent software updates made me consider this over the Ford Fainlane/Flex, Honda Odyssey.
post #16 of 63 Old 05-01-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I don't listen to radio much either, but some stations do it worse than others. nothing new, and hey, TV does it too, like Lucy reruns etc, saves some precious time for more commercials.

(Sorry for getting off topic OP)

It just amazes me how the RIAA can get all up in arms over music piracy and protecting their artists rights blah blah blah yet they allow their artists music to be completely altered and replayed by radio stations.
post #17 of 63 Old 05-02-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

illy, radio stations pay licensing fees to the artists via either ASCAP or BMI. Even if they didn't, heavy radio play increases popularity in that music (either for CD purchases, concerts or other routes like television commercials, etc.) The RIAA gets up in arms for people downloading music and not paying for it. This used to be called "stealing" and the RIAA is doing what they can, with poor social skills, to stop it.

If the music is either purchased or licensed, the RIAA couldn't give two turds whether you altered the music in any way as long as it is not for commercial use. And such things as compression, even though it pisses off audiophiles, actually makes most music sound better in car stereos unless someone likes constantly changing the volume of the radio to hear.
post #18 of 63 Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course. SNR is terrible in cars and that means that dynamic range is limited. Feh.

Yep, in most vehicles, S/N ratio sucks with the resultant penalty in dynamic range. What is the average noise floor in a "quiet" current model?

Anyway the wife just got a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country. To get what she wanted meant going to the top of the heap with all that means.

This is the quietest in cabin ride we have owned. For the first time ever I will be taking a meter and measuring an SPL on a nice Interstate section.

Did try a favorite DVD Audio on one of the few times I have been behind the wheel. With the stock audio it did sound quite good. Of course only got to listen for a few minutes. "Dad, is that that Mozart guy again"?

Is there any hope for this current crop of teenagers? I do try.

Joe
post #19 of 63 Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

Yep, in most vehicles, S/N ratio sucks with the resultant penalty in dynamic range. What is the average noise floor in a "quiet" current model?

Dunno. We have various cars in the family, including two Mercedes', and none are suitable for anything except news, sports, traffic, imho.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #20 of 63 Old 05-06-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Dunno. We have various cars in the family, including two Mercedes', and none are suitable for anything except news, sports, traffic, imho.

S/N ratio doesn't really come in to play when I'm listening in the driveway with the engine off in my wife's 2008 Cadilac CTS with surround sound. My DVD-A collection sounds quite immersive and I can listen with my eyes closed and the seat reclined. This also saves enough money on gas to buy more DVD-A's. The special DSOTM edition really grabs your attention.
My neighbor just got a Buick Enclave. DSOTM sounds great there also.
I suggest you take a favorite DVD-A to a Cadillac or Buick dealer for a test drive. I'd be interested in your professional opinion.

John
post #21 of 63 Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water1 View Post

S/N ratio doesn't really come in to play when I'm listening in the driveway with the engine off in my wife's 2008 Cadilac CTS with surround sound. My DVD-A collection sounds quite immersive and I can listen with my eyes closed and the seat reclined. This also saves enough money on gas to buy more DVD-A's. The special DSOTM edition really grabs your attention.
My neighbor just got a Buick Enclave. DSOTM sounds great there also.
I suggest you take a favorite DVD-A to a Cadillac or Buick dealer for a test drive. I'd be interested in your professional opinion.

Why would I want to? My Benz is very quiet in the driveway, too, but I can listen in my music room and hear better.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #22 of 63 Old 05-06-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water1 View Post

S/N ratio doesn't really come in to play when I'm listening in the driveway with the engine off in my wife's 2008 Cadilac CTS with surround sound.

this ranks up there in terms of acquiring a DVD-A player...

Boo!
post #23 of 63 Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Why would I want to? My Benz is very quiet in the driveway, too, but I can listen in my music room and hear better.

Yeah, but you can't drive to work in your music room!

[Early Adopter]
post #24 of 63 Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio98 View Post

Yeah, but you can't drive to work in your music room!

And I don't drive to work in my car, either.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #25 of 63 Old 05-07-2008, 02:29 PM

Hey guys, the snob rides a bicycle to work!! Ha Ha.

TonyW
post #26 of 63 Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotguy8289 View Post

Hey guys, the snob rides a bicycle to work!! Ha Ha.

If you are referring to me, I will tell you that I walk or take a taxi or a local bus. If you lived in Manhattan, you might understand that taking one's car, any car, anywhere, is usually more of a hassle than it is worth. Of course, if you live in the sticks, ...........................................

Hey, the point of all this is whether having DVD-A in your car is a great thing. Well, if you care to listen there, it might be. Just not for me.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #27 of 63 Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM

Oh, Kal! I do live in the sticks, that's why I have no shame about riding my bike anywhere. But certainly, you must be able to put those cars on the road at sometime during the year, no? Where's the joy of owning Mercedes automobiles if you can't drive them? That's all.

And, certainly theres no shame in listening to music in a car equipped with surround sound. If my bike had surround, I'd take it everywhere!

TonyW
post #28 of 63 Old 05-07-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotguy8289 View Post

Oh, Kal! I do live in the sticks, that's why I have no shame about riding my bike anywhere. But certainly, you must be able to put those cars on the road at sometime during the year, no? Where's the joy of owning Mercedes automobiles if you can't drive them? That's all.

I drive out of the city almost every weekend to enjoy the trip and the relief from the constant intensity of city life.

Quote:

And, certainly theres no shame in listening to music in a car equipped with surround sound. If my bike had surround, I'd take it everywhere!

No shame at all. Nor any in not doing so.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #29 of 63 Old 05-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:

No shame at all. Nor any in not doing so.

Agreed!

TonyW
post #30 of 63 Old 05-07-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:

My hope is that someone with quality ears and an open mind would do some comparison listening. Comparing the listening experience in a room or car would be interesting to me. I would also like a comparison of the implementation by auto manufacturers. Having introduced two of my neighbors to the capability of their new cars I saw first hand an interest in more surround software. Increased demand for quality surround software can't hurt our hobby.

John
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page