new album from NIN called The slip download free at.. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a lossless codec I can convert the wav files into so I can keep the 24/96?

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Is there a lossless codec I can convert the wav files into so I can keep the 24/96?

Yes. FLAC
post #33 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 02:26 AM
T7T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBT View Post

I know but beside the structure that make it not playable on any DVD player (DVD-A), is it not going to be the same thing? Regular user wont see the difference. They will put it in their DVD player and enjoy it.

As long as the 24-bit 96-kHz files are stereo only i.e. not 5.1, there's no point in creating a DVD-Audio disc -- the DVD-Video format can handle it.

And every DVD-Audio player supports DVD-Video but not the other way round.
post #34 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

I just don't understand the point you are trying to make. In your other post you used the term "beware" towards people using a program that makes a regular DVD. The regular DVD will play in more players and sound the same as a DVD-Audio (in this case). Am I missing something?

I listen to a lot of multichannel music. If I were to purchase a program to copy hi res music, I would want a program that could do multichannel as well as stereo. But you (and others) make a good point, for stereo it makes no difference and the DVD will play on all players.
post #35 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 06:15 AM

Can I just summarize for simplicity's sake:

1. If your player supports DVD-A, 'DVD-Audio Solo' will easily make a DVD-A. This is trial software.
2. DVD-Audiofile will also make a DVD-A. Don't burn the wav files. Instead convert them to .flac (using a program like Audacity) and get DVD-Audiofile to burn the converted .flac files.
3. Audio DVD Creator will make a DVD-V for use in all DVD players.

Either way, the sound quality will be the same (24bit/96khz 2-channel).

The bottom line is that Nine Inch Nails - 'The Slip' is worth checking out in any format.
post #36 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelincoln View Post

Can I just summarize for simplicity's sake:

1. If your player supports DVD-A, 'DVD-Audio Solo' will easily make a DVD-A.
2. For use in other DVD players, DVD-Audiofile will make a DVD-V. Don't burn the wav files. Instead convert them to .flac (using a program like Audacity) and get DVD-Audiofile to burn the converted .flac files.

Either way, the sound quality will be the same (24bit/96khz 2-channel).

The bottom line is that Nine Inch Nails - 'The Slip' is worth checking out in any format.

Can you please edit your summary? DVD-Audiofile will make a DVD-Audio disc, not a DVD-Video disc. Look at the ISO, it only deal with the AUDIO_TS zone. Add a third option, Audio DVD Creator, which will make a DVD-V for use in other DVD players.
post #37 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

DVD-Audiofile needs FLAC files to work correctly. Sure it says it can use WAVs, but you've seen what it does when you feed it WAV.

"The Definitive DVD-Audio Guide v1.0" (pdf) really stresses to use FLAC instead of WAVs with DVD-Audiofile... now I know why!

I used Audacity to convert the 24/96 WAVs to 24/96 FLACs, btw.

Ahhhhh thanks for that useful tidbit of info. It worked perfectly with FLACs! Great little tool for simple stereo tracks which don't need MLP compression.

NIN should have released the hi-res version in FLAC anyway, to halve HDD space and download time and for tagging. I guess they didn't want to confuse the downloaders too much and make it appear clearly a different version to the CD flac version. But it's not hard to say here's the "CD-quality FLAC" version and here's "Hi-res FLAC" version.
post #38 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Noob here, Played the NIN on PS3 on MP3 and it sounds awesome, wanna see if I can even tell the difference with the Hi-res 24/96 I also downloaded. I have a dvd burner on my pc, I can find the free trial DVD burner ... but here is where the various posts are leading to confusion. I should first find and use a program to convert to flac(Audacity?), and then use the free 5 DVD trial(DVD-Audiofile?) to burn the DVD(s) in "A" vs "V" format? Then I can put that DVD in my PS3 and play the Hi-res 24/96 just fine? Or do I have to connect the Onkyo DVD? I have an 1.3 HDMI connection to Onkyo TX-SR605 with my PS3 with the 2.30 system update. Anyone that can clarify this for me is awesome. Sorry , I'm barely keeping up :-)

Lugoves
post #39 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugoves View Post

Noob here, Played the NIN on PS3 on MP3 and it sounds awesome, wanna see if I can even tell the difference with the Hi-res 24/96 I also downloaded. I have a dvd burner on my pc, I can find the free trial DVD burner ... but here is where the various posts are leading to confusion. I should first find and use a program to convert to flac(Audacity?), and then use the free 5 DVD trial(DVD-Audiofile?) to burn the DVD(s) in "A" vs "V" format? Then I can put that DVD in my PS3 and play the Hi-res 24/96 just fine? Or do I have to connect the Onkyo DVD? I have an 1.3 HDMI connection to Onkyo TX-SR605 with my PS3 with the 2.30 system update. Anyone that can clarify this for me is awesome. Sorry , I'm barely keeping up :-)

Lugoves

Hello Lugoves,
I think we're all collectively catching up here, and welcome!
PS3 only supports DVD-V, so for simplicity's sake just try that. You need to use Audio DVD Creator, no converting to flac needed, just bun the WAVs.
post #40 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugoves View Post

Lugoves

Just do this :

Use Audio DVD Creator to make an audio DVD with the WAV files and you will be able to play it in 24/96 on ur regular DVD player and PS3.

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/index.htm

Features:

* Put several (about 5-6) Audio CDs on one DVD with perfect audio quality.
* Put thousands of audio files on one DVD with top audio quality.
* Create DVD menu automatically.
* Create up to 99 DVD titles.
* Burn the Audio DVD to DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW directly.
* Create the Audio DVD to hard disk files.
* Output format is DVD-Video compliant, so that it can be played by any DVD player.
* Rip Audio CD to WAV files, and import them to Audio DVD directly.
* Import 96kHz/24bits WAV files, and keep the superb quality.
* Import Windows Media Format(.wma, .wmv, .asf), Real Media(.rm), OGG, FLAC, AC3 and AVI files via DirectShow Filters.
* Preview shows an overview of your Audio DVD.
* Save/Load your project, and edit it anytime.
* Blazing fast speed, only need about 30 minutes to create a PCM format Audio DVD. For AC3 format, it may need several hours.
* Easy to use: the wizard will guide you step by step - very suitable for beginners!
* Create Audio CD.
* Import AC3 5.1ch or AC3 2ch files, and export them to Audio DVD without quality loss.
* Use Matrix Mixer to convert 2ch audio input to AC3 5.1ch output.
post #41 of 93 Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Info about audio dvd creator:

1.) Trial only supports 5 tracks...
2.) Must make each track a title if you wany to attach a picture (doesn't affect playback however).
3.) Not a lot of flexability creating the menus.

hope this helps
post #42 of 93 Old 05-10-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchglen View Post

Hello Lugoves,
I think we're all collectively catching up here, and welcome!
PS3 only supports DVD-V, so for simplicity's sake just try that. You need to use Audio DVD Creator, no converting to flac needed, just bun the WAVs.

Thanks all, It's not Pretty (two seperate disks and I only used the album cover art for the title screen (lazy)) but it sounds great, I compared the MP3 to the Hi-res DVD and the treble is less tinny, and the Bass is much deeper...feels/sounds great. I just rec'd Ghosts in the Mail yesterday (Trent put it on Blu-ray as well) Great stuff, It's great to support artists/independent game developers etc. willing to get out from under the Studio/company structures. pseudo-unrelated topic, but I believe it's relevent to the Industry as a whole. Thanks again for everyone's help

Lugoves
post #43 of 93 Old 05-10-2008, 02:15 PM

I have tried DVD Audio Solo (v1.5) to convert the Slip wave files to DVD Audio. I have tried 3 times now and cannot get a DVD that is recognizied by my hd dvd player or my PS3.

Is there a trick to creating the DVD with this program? It seems pretty straight forward.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #44 of 93 Old 05-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainer08 View Post

I have tried DVD Audio Solo (v1.5) to convert the Slip wave files to DVD Audio. I have tried 3 times now and cannot get a DVD that is recognizied by my hd dvd player or my PS3.

Is there a trick to creating the DVD with this program? It seems pretty straight forward.

I forgot to say that it shows up on the ps3 video under the audio_Ts but will not play. It thinks it is a data disk.

My PC won't recognize that anything has been burned to the DVD.

Thanks again.
post #45 of 93 Old 05-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainer08 View Post

If you are making DVD-Audio discs then you need a player that can play and recognize DVD-Audio discs. DVD-Audio is a very specific format of DVD that most DVD players can't recognize or play. It was meant to be a very high resolution music format, that could let you play music at extremely high bit-rates and in surround. Your PS3 definitely can't (because sony backed a competing hi-rez music format, known as SACD, so they will likely never make a product that plays DVD-A's) and unfortunately chances are your HD-DVD player cannot as well. You probably need to make a DVD-Video disc (which is a standard DVD) to play in either of those machines.
post #46 of 93 Old 05-11-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:

1.) Trial only supports 5 tracks...
2.) Must make each track a title if you wany to attach a picture (doesn't affect playback however).
3.) Not a lot of flexability creating the menus.

hope this helps

1.) Trial only supports 5 tracks... Well it take 5 min. to find a crack or a serial on the net.
2.) Must make each track a title if you wany to attach a picture (doesn't affect playback however). Are you so lasy!?!
3.) Not a lot of flexability creating the menus. Not fancy enough for you?

hope this helps your bitching.
post #47 of 93 Old 05-11-2008, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1.) Trial only supports 5 tracks... Well it take 5 min. to find a crack or a serial on the net.
2.) Must make each track a title if you wany to attach a picture (doesn't affect playback however). Are you so lasy!?!
3.) Not a lot of flexability creating the menus. Not fancy enough for you?

hope this helps your bitching.

If you would have read my other post, I was praising this program. I was just pointing out some FACTS...
post #48 of 93 Old 05-11-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:

If you would have read my other post, I was praising this program. I was just pointing out some FACTS...

My apologies to you.

But you FACTS make it sound like a useless and crappy software to people that are new to it.
post #49 of 93 Old 05-11-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My apologies to you.

But you FACTS make it sound like a useless and crappy software to people that are new to it.

anything taken out of context will many times be misunderstood...

by the way i think these last two NIN releases completely rock...
post #50 of 93 Old 05-11-2008, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Personally I'm glad Himey posted the drawbacks to the Audio DVD Creator. I thought I was gonna be able to make one dvd with all the songs on it.

I think I may just convert the .wav files to .flac and then try to burn them to a dvd with Nero.
post #51 of 93 Old 05-12-2008, 06:39 AM

For those of you using a PS3. The Free DVD creator shows up under "Video" in the XMB {Cross Media Bar} on the PS3 and plays wonderfully [albeit on two disks] which is of no significance to me. It 'says' it's DVD A on the creator menu screen, but from what I read it must be a 'video' disc. I also have the MP3 on the hard drive if I wanna shuffle the album with the Artwork, but the increased quality on the 96/24 source is awesome. I think you have to have your Audio output set to Bitrate vs PCM (I didn't try it the other way) I do this with all my blu-ray movies also, and though it warns "all audio might not play" I've read (on another forum) it's the only way to have the DTS HD or TRUE HD 5.1 or 7.1 DIRECTLY sent to the Tuner. My only pet peeve {2 cents} is the mention of obtaining the serial number/Key for DVD creator to circumvent the 5 track limitation by actually purchasing the product, I use to do it too {no glass houses here} but it's that sort of thinking that has hindered artists/programmers from making thing available online and counters artists such as Trent Reznor's efforts to get away from big Studio shenanigans. PS A friend of mine has been working hard on a Itunes project that creates playlists based on what you listen to, a little fuzzy logic. It's a free download and can be found following this link www .moodshuffle. com {sorry I'm not a spammer, but I haven't reached my 3 post min yet}
post #52 of 93 Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 AM
T7T

For all you 20/60/80GB PS3 owners out there: NIN's The Downward Spiral album is available as a high-res 5.1-channel SACD.

Check here.
post #53 of 93 Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

I'm a little curious, just downloaded the 24/96 files from work. I have an digital optical cable going from my PC -> Denon 2307CI, can't I just play these from the computer and get the full 24/96 res? What program would I use to play them?

-Chuck
post #54 of 93 Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7T View Post

For all you 20/60/80GB PS3 owners out there: NIN's The Downward Spiral album is available as a high-res 5.1-channel SACD.

Check here.

Don't forget those of us with non-PS3 SACD players! (I've actually had it for sometime, and it's a great very well done mix, with incredibly high fidelity). It's also available as a DVD-A on a dual-disc I believe.
post #55 of 93 Old 05-13-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala454 View Post

I'm a little curious, just downloaded the 24/96 files from work. I have an digital optical cable going from my PC -> Denon 2307CI, can't I just play these from the computer and get the full 24/96 res? What program would I use to play them?

Anyone know this? I haven't got a HT-connected PC as of yet and would like to know.
post #56 of 93 Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I'm not entirely sure what program you'd use on a PC, though I believe iTunes can handle 24/96 wav's at least within iTunes (I don't think you can burn the or anything). I would imagine Windows Media Player could probably handle and I'm sure there are a myriad of other programs out there. I don't see any particular reason to think this wouldn't work, but... can't say for sure as I don't use Windows much except at work and occasionally at home when something comes up that needs Windows.
post #57 of 93 Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7T View Post

Check here.

Good info, but if not new and free, why in this thread?

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #58 of 93 Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

For those wondering what app to use to play them, winamp seemed to work just fine.

-Chuck
post #59 of 93 Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
iTunes on the mac plays them and will even convert them to Apple Lossless, and looking at the bit rate they appear to be 24/96 Apple Lossless, the bit rate is higher than a standard CD.

Out of curiosity sake, anyone know how to burn these as DVD-A within OSX, either Apple Software or 3rd party? I was able to burn them in Bootcamp Using DVD-Audio Solo, but I downloaded a Wilco concert that is 24/48 and it is too large for me to burn, not enough space for temporary files on hard drive.

I tried burning this in OSX and made 4 coasters before trying successfully in Windows.

Thanks.
post #60 of 93 Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For those wondering what app to use to play them, winamp seemed to work just fine.

So which soundcard (or motherboard) are you sending optical out...and to which reciever?
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page