AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrhesia View Post

Just got this great player. Love all the detail I now find in my cds and sacds

Several people mentioned that it needs a long break in period to sound its best. How long should it take approximately?

And what parts exactly are being broken in? Do I need to break it in with both cd and sacd and with all outputs?

Not if you use the same ears for both formats.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1102 Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Just got this great player. Love all the detail I now find in my cds and sacds

Several people mentioned that it needs a long break in period to sound its best. How long should it take approximately?

And what parts exactly are being broken in? Do I need to break it in with both cd and sacd and with all outputs?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Not a dumb question at all - I say - break it in slowly, with all outputs active.

You will hear a gradual improvement in sound quality over the period of several years (or decades). Breaking in of delicate electronic equipment takes time.

For example, the 24" screen on my new iMac is looking better every day as it is breaking in.

At the end of your acoustic journey you will reach a Nirvana with this piece of gear.

Be sure to let us know how it has worked out for you.
post #543 of 1102 Old 07-08-2009, 04:50 PM

Hi all!

I am following this thread since the start.

Today I got across another thread about this Sony player on AVSForum and to my surprise it read as following: link http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi...cd-player.html

20-05-2009, 11:28 AM #11 (permalink)
postmaster

My movie collection
Thanks: Gave 51, Got 8 Re: New Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's very interesting and the first time someone has actually given at least a hint of why the player has been pulled. Whatever these "improvements" are I hope stock will be available again soon.

Does anyone knows about this revelation?

Thanks!

GuelinFP
post #544 of 1102 Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guelin View Post

Hi all!

I am following this thread since the start.

Today I got across another thread about this Sony player on AVSForum and to my surprise it read as following: link http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi...cd-player.html

20-05-2009, 11:28 AM #11 (permalink)
postmaster

My movie collection
Thanks: Gave 51, Got 8 Re: New Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's very interesting and the first time someone has actually given at least a hint of why the player has been pulled. Whatever these "improvements" are I hope stock will be available again soon.

Does anyone knows about this revelation?

Thanks!

AFAIK, just rumor.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #545 of 1102 Old 07-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Thanks!

Keep us posted about anything about this rumor if it becomes reality.

GuelinFP
post #546 of 1102 Old 07-10-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The rep I talked with confirmed that the 5400 will be back in stock at Sony the first half of August.....They neither confirmed or denied the rumour of any changes.....Said they knew of no such "changes" and that the problem was more of a supply/demand issue, they are actually selling better than expected.

Good news for those who are still looking to buy this, I'm hoping to get one this fall.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #547 of 1102 Old 07-12-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS View Post

The rep I talked with confirmed that the 5400 will be back in stock at Sony the first half of August.....They neither confirmed or denied the rumour of any changes.....Said they knew of no such "changes" and that the problem was more of a supply/demand issue, they are actually selling better than expected.

Good news for those who are still looking to buy this, I'm hoping to get one this fall.

That is indeed very good news. It was really smart of Sony to half the price of their statement SACD player. I have no doubt it has significantly boosted sales. The 3K units were just too expensive to justify for even most enthusiasts.

They would be wise to take similar action with their statement ES blu-ray players, which are overpriced IMO. $1500 MSRP is more appropriate.
post #548 of 1102 Old 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM

I have a question about this player.

I'm currently using Oppo 980H for SACD playback and I am not satisfied. My receiver is Denon 988. I also have a dedicated CD player which performs very well. I actually enjoy more listening CDs than SACDs.

So my question is if I buy the SCD-XA5400, will there be a significant SACD sound quality increase? If everything is done by the receiver, so what's the point getting this player? Is it good as a CD player?
post #549 of 1102 Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdLCD View Post

I have a question about this player.

I'm currently using Oppo 980H for SACD playback and I am not satisfied. My receiver is Denon 988. I also have a dedicated CD player which performs very well. I actually enjoy more listening CDs than SACDs.

So my question is if I buy the SCD-XA5400, will there be a significant SACD sound quality increase? If everything is done by the receiver, so what's the point getting this player? Is it good as a CD player?

Your Denon 988 will not decode DSD over HDMI. It is HDMI V1.1 and DSD was added with V1.2

EDIT: Corrected to YES, see below, consequent to reading Denon specs in more detail.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #550 of 1102 Old 07-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Your Denon 988 will not decode DSD over HDMI. It is HDMI V1.1 and DSD was added with V1.2

No, you are wrong here. Denon 988 does decode DSD over HDMI, and it supports HDMI 1.3a.
post #551 of 1102 Old 07-13-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdLCD View Post

No, you are wrong here. Denon 988 does decode DSD over HDMI, and it supports HDMI 1.3a.

Yes, the specs are confusing since they say:

1. with regard to SACD "Digital Input - DENON Link 3rd (SACD Ready)"

2. with regard to HDMI "DVI/HDMI Video Inputs - Compatible with 1.1 Spec. - Multi-Channel Audio *1080p HDMI"

Despite this, they also say that the HDMI 1.3a supports SACD. So, statement #2 is misleading and irrelevant. Sorry.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #552 of 1102 Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 PM

hi guys,

just fyi, i got the Sony SCD-XA5400ES early July. i put it in my audio-guru friend's rig for testing, and he posted a review:

http://desirableaudio.blogspot.com/2...-xa5400es.html

cheers,
wps
post #553 of 1102 Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by junchoon99 View Post

hi guys,

just fyi, i got the Sony SCD-XA5400ES early July. i put it in my audio-guru friend's rig for testing, and he posted a review:

http://desirableaudio.blogspot.com/2...-xa5400es.html

cheers,
wps

Best review to date.
post #554 of 1102 Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Best review to date.

for someone who does not write hifi article for a living, i would say his review is pretty darn good.

cheers,
wps
post #555 of 1102 Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junchoon99 View Post

for someone who does not write hifi article for a living, i would say his review is pretty darn good.

cheers,
wps

I agree. Plus he used great equipment to both evaluate and compare it. I own an Aleph J amp designed by Nelson Pass, so I understood what he was saying.
post #556 of 1102 Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 PM

Finally got my 5400ES up and running with a little break-in.

The sound is - as most people have stated - magnificent, especially on CD, which is really much better than my previous Sony XA3000ES. SACD is also better, but not much.

Only thing that really bothers me is that operation-wise, the player feels like a decade-old windows computer. It takes forever to load, track selection with the jog wheel doesn't really function, because you have to wait for the player to come along. Shifting to HDMI again takes another long nap, where you can't do anything else, e.g. select tracks.

This was much, much faster on my XA3000ES, and I loved that you could select tracks while the tray and player was loading.

Anyway, of course I still prefer the better sound, just don't understand why technology is moving backwards on the operation side.
post #557 of 1102 Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The sound is - as most people have stated - magnificent, especially on CD, which is really much better than my previous Sony XA3000ES. SACD is also better, but not much.

Only thing that really bothers me is that operation-wise, the player feels like a decade-old windows computer. It takes forever to load, track selection with the jog wheel doesn't really function, because you have to wait for the player to come along. Shifting to HDMI again takes another long nap, where you can't do anything else, e.g. select tracks.

This was much, much faster on my XA3000ES, and I loved that you could select tracks while the tray and player was loading.

Anyway, of course I still prefer the better sound, just don't understand why technology is moving backwards on the operation side.

I think the operational faults you mentioned were cost cutting measures to keep cost down. I believe it sounds as good as you and others say, but I'm also sure that economic design compromises were made to put sound over features.
post #558 of 1102 Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:

glad to know that u r enjoying the sound of the new player.

i usually press the PLAY button and not the open/close disc tray button when i place a CD/SACD on XA5400ES. i did not use a stopwatch with me, but i reckon it took me about 10s to hear the 1st note. i am not sure how fast was xa3000es, but xa5400es is fast enough for me. fyi, i did not hook up mine with a hdmi AVR, not yet anyway.

cheers,
wps
post #559 of 1102 Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I agree it is slow to load discs. They basically just ported over the drive and software from the DVP-NS9100ES because that one works the same exact way.

Sony not infrequently does this kind of thing presumably to cut design costs with their products. I think they may have also decided to ditch the previous drives used in the XA777ES and XA9000Es because they had reliability problems.

The bottom line is the sound though, and this thing definitely delivers big.
post #560 of 1102 Old 07-17-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

And, this is the most important thing this player can offer, big sound.
post #561 of 1102 Old 07-31-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

While I have not received my September edition of Stereophile magazine, I looked it up on the net and found that Kal Robinson did not review the SCD-XA5400ES as promised. What happened?
post #562 of 1102 Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought I saw a review by kal a few months back--i think the short version was great sound but the soundstage was a bit lacking in depth..
post #563 of 1102 Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
anyone else here have both the 5400 and the bdp5000es blu ray to compare cd sound? wondering if I need one of these--would like to know if anyone has a comparison to cd/sacd of the denon 5910 as well. im dying to have some source component to plug into my prepro via the balanced input...
post #564 of 1102 Old 08-01-2009, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

I thought I saw a review by kal a few months back--i think the short version was great sound but the soundstage was a bit lacking in depth..

I don't recall Kal saying the soundstage was a bit lacking in depth. What he stated in the end is that he felt that there was a little more sound to be had from the 5400's analog output and he was trying to get a better analog pre-amp to assess the same. However, I thought the Parasound he used was pretty good itself.
post #565 of 1102 Old 08-02-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

I agree it is slow to load discs. They basically just ported over the drive and software from the DVP-NS9100ES because that one works the same exact way.

Sony not infrequently does this kind of thing presumably to cut design costs with their products. I think they may have also decided to ditch the previous drives used in the XA777ES and XA9000Es because they had reliability problems.

I think you are right as my old XA777ES I sold a while back ago and to me it is slower than my DVP-9100ES that I am using now with a good tube dac. I am tempted to buy the XA-5400ES as I could use the balanced as my Accuphase Int. Amp as them and port the RCA over to my tube dac and have the best of both worlds... Plus from what I read this thing is built like a tank..
post #566 of 1102 Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

I think you are right as my old XA777ES I sold a while back ago and to me it is slower than my DVP-9100ES that I am using now with a good tube dac. I am tempted to buy the XA-5400ES as I could use the balanced as my Accuphase Int. Amp as them and port the RCA over to my tube dac and have the best of both worlds... Plus from what I read this thing is built like a tank..

But not has heavy a tank as your XA777ES.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #567 of 1102 Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But not has heavy a tank as your XA777ES.

At least I know you are alive. Kal, what happened to the final review of the 5400 using a better analog pre-amp? I'm thinking you may have had problems getting a better analog pre-amp or your final review will in fact be in the September edition of Stereophile. I am really looking forward to it as I liked your word choices in describing this unit in an earlier edition which I believe was May '09. In any event, will the final review be in Sept. or will we have to wait until Oct. or will it come at all?
post #568 of 1102 Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was hoping to try it with a better DIGITAL preamp via HDMI. Unfortunately, I have not yet obtained one that will handle DSD and the Sony will not PCM via HDMI.

Here's what I said:
My final thoughts on the capabilities of the SCD-XA5400ES will have to wait until I can hear it in a more resolving system. So consider this the first of two reports. Very soon I expect to receive an Anthem Statement D2v processor for my Connecticut system, and a Meridian HD621 HDMI switcher for the Manhattan system. Both should permit me to come to a more subtle and determinate assessment of the SCD-XA5400ES's performance via HDMI than I can right now.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #569 of 1102 Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was hoping to try it with a better DIGITAL preamp via HDMI. Unfortunately, I have not yet obtained one that will handle DSD and the Sony will not PCM via HDMI.

Here's what I said:
My final thoughts on the capabilities of the SCD-XA5400ES will have to wait until I can hear it in a more resolving system. So consider this the first of two reports. Very soon I expect to receive an Anthem Statement D2v processor for my Connecticut system, and a Meridian HD621 HDMI switcher for the Manhattan system. Both should permit me to come to a more subtle and determinate assessment of the SCD-XA5400ES's performance via HDMI than I can right now.

Sorry, I was misquoting you strickly from a flawed memory. In any event, I think I am going to order one as I liked what you said about it using its analog outs. This would be the only way I could play it as I'm not going to replace my Arcam AV9 thats about two years old. Finally, I think Sony needs to produce another pre/pro that can play DSD over HDMI. They haven't made a pre/pro since their TA-E9000ES.
post #570 of 1102 Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Sorry, I was misquoting you strickly from a flawed memory. In any event, I think I am going to order one as I liked what you said about it using its analog outs. This would be the only way I could play it as I'm not going to replace my Arcam AV9 thats about two years old. Finally, I think Sony needs to produce another pre/pro that can play DSD over HDMI. They haven't made a pre/pro since their TA-E9000ES.

I agree but I do not expect it to happen.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page